Author Topic: .357 Sig  (Read 1756 times)

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
.357 Sig
« on: January 08, 2011, 09:37:39 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about production of .357 ammo? We're having a hard time getting it and heard there may be a slow down in production or a stop.

Thanks.

Offline d0j0w0

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: .357 Sig
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 11:05:03 PM »
From what I understand about ammo production, companies tend to do production runs.  They use the same machines to make all their ammo,  so they can't make every caliber all at the same time.  The largest runs are done for calibers that sell the best.  These are the largest and longest runs.  Every so often slower selling calibers are run to keep up with the lighter demand.  I've noticed this same thing with 9mm Mak and some other calibers.  I don't think .357 Sig is a super hot seller compared to 9mm and .40 S&W.  I think the same holds true for brass case production.  These are simple supply chain problems.

Best thing to do is stock up when you find it.  I know .357 Sig is expensive, but I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

If I had to guess I'd say the new huge demand for .380 is to blame.  It probably bumped .357 Sig out of rotation.

I hope this helps!

Offline BulkAmmo.com

• Survivor
    • BulkAmmo
Re: .357 Sig
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 04:23:04 PM »
+1 d0j0w0

Ammo is produced in cycles.  Some companies have the next year already marked out for how they are going to produce ammunition.  If the supplies are getting low on .357 sig there should be another run coming.  

I think the 357 sig is gaining a little popularity.  With the option to convert most of the popular pistol to 357 sig, it's getting pretty common for most to have one.