Author Topic: Cedar's Garden 2011  (Read 59143 times)

Offline ladygaura

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Cedar's Garden 2011
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2011, 06:40:09 PM »
I am stunned and impressed!

I've done a very small amount of seed saving. I am, however, good enough to be working on my own variety of tomato-- a cross between Hard Rock and San Marzano. It's earlier and more productive than Marzano, as parthenocarpic as Hard Rock, and tastes like Marzano.

Have you ever grown "Rat-tail" Radish? It is grown specifically for pods not root. It was a Goddess-send for me in California because the radishes would all bolt by salad season. As these are meant to bolt, it was a perfect fit! They can handle 100 degree heat if they have enough water. You can plant them whenever you wish, cold or warm, even along with the cukes.

Do you happen to have any super-drought-tolerant varieties? Now that I'm back in Colorado, I need to start moving that way. I'm not necessarily asking for seed, but at least information.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:26 PM »
Yes, I have "Rat's tail"... I didn't grow it this year though.

I have a couple cantaloupes which are good for droughtish/rocky areas.. other than that I will have to go through and check.

This is my 2011 seed list I have. http://www.downtotherootsmagazine.com/tenzicutseeds2011.htm I am missing alot of my new ones on there. The 2012 list with the 70+ new varieties I have are will be up around January/February.

Cedar

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »
I can't wait to see the expanded list!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2011, 05:31:12 PM »
Picked another bucket of tomatoes. Greens, yellows, golds and reds. They still look like they have alot of life in the plants and other than a few of the large ones splitting from the rain the tomatoes themselves look pretty nice. I will try to keep the plants in as long as possible. #1 reason I am wanting to keep them out on the vine, is I am tired of not being able to see my kitchen counters for weeks.

Found a pepper plant lurking in the volunteer tomatoes. I may have to try to find some more. I may just put it into a pot for the winter. No idea what it is until I find my legal pad with all the numbers on it. I hope it is something fun I have not grown before or my "Tequila Sunrise". Remembered my brother has lot of 4x4's which are 6 ft long that I can use for the base of my polytunnel if he still wants to give them away. They are treated, but will be in contact with the ground, so I will try to ignore the fact that they are treated. I am still on the hunt for parts and pieces for it.

My Cosmos finally started blooming about .. ohhhhhhhhh.. about 5 months after planting them. And I have ONE 'Orange Zinger' calundula blooming and I need seed off that one as I believe it is some of my last. If we get some dry weather I may be able to pull in seed off it. Pretty much those flowers and the tomatoes (and the rain) are keeping me from tilling the garden all under right now. I want to start laying out the 'foundation' of the polytunnel.

Mom brought me spring bulbs and I will be putting them in soon. I got the solar dehydrator put away for the year. I am glad I made it in three parts just for that very purpose as I had to carry it all by myself. Just the tower itself is SO HEAVY!!!.. the rest was a breeze.

Cedar - who is soggy from the rain

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #124 on: October 25, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »
Finally I got to do what I wanted to do for a couple months now. I tilled up 1/3 of my garden!!! I am hiding the evidence of a disaster year. *Yipeeeeee*

I canned up most of last of the carrots last night. As well as the last of the cabbage as sauerkraut.

I pulled the spent 2 year old "Golden Self Blanching" celery that I got seed off this year, shattering LOTS more into the garden. Also found some volunteers which had come up and I transplanted them into the raised beds for the winter for eating. I also put in "Autumn King" carrots, "Musselbough" leeks, "Watermelon" radish, "Bulls Blood" beets, "Snowball" turnip and a few other things for seed production for 2012. On the way to the overflowing compost piles I shattered more celery seed over the raised beds which are currently empty.

Brought in most of the squash and 2 bucketfuls of ripe tomatoes. It got down to 34F last night so I decided to pull them in as well as the green ones. I did not pull the plants themselves yet. It will be interesting to see if I can build the greenhouse around them.. but in all likelihood, it will be March/April before I get on that.

Three of my "Swan White Acorn" Squash - Endangered Status

Harvested some of my "Orange Zinger" calendula. I use it for medicinal things such as balms, ointments, soaps and such as it is very high in the resin content. I also saved seed for next year from it.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #125 on: October 26, 2011, 09:17:57 AM »
Good call on pulling the tomatoes in yesterday. I have not seen the vines yet, but it went below 32F last night. It was a nice clear starry night.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »
The garden is all but dead now. A couple weeks ago I started pulling soaker hoses out and pulling tomato cages. I got half the garden tilled to hide evidence of a horrible year and now I have to finish removing hoses and tomato cages so I can till the other half on a dry day.

Went out to plant my "West Virginia" garlic, I got 12 topset seeds from my mom who thought she had lost her bunch too, and planted them in the middle raised beds. I noted in the bed closest to the main garden, ALOT of stuff besides the peas are coming up. I racked my brain trying to figure out what I had put in there.. Not kale.. not lettuce.. brain is not functioning well due to a headache and 101F fever. Came back into the house and started laughing as I remembered what was in there. When I pulled my 2nd year celery and carted it to the compost bins, I made sure I shook out whatever seed I did not save back over the top of that bed. I did not expect all 2-3 million of the seeds to come up. I might have to thin 1,986,563 of them out.

I have 3 brussels sprouts plants I need to harvest and I have about 6 cabbages out there. I might let 2 of the "Early Jersey Wakefields" cabbages go to seed in 2012.

When i feel like venturing back outside, I will take some pics to post.

Cedar

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #127 on: November 29, 2011, 06:31:06 AM »
Cedar what does the Swan white acorn squash taste like? It looks pretty.   

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #128 on: November 29, 2011, 10:53:27 AM »
Cedar what does the Swan white acorn squash taste like? It looks pretty.   

I don't know. Probably like a regular Acorn squash, but I will toss one in the oven tonight and get back at you tomorrow. They store a long time, so I was eating other kinds first.

Cedar

Offline GearingUp

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #129 on: March 02, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
Oh no, you left me hanging lol. I just read this whole thread and enjoyed every minute! I'm hoping the Swan's were good and would love if you could do another garden thread this year and let us all experience & learn gardening through you. I too live in the PNW and man gardening can be tough, as I'm sure it is anywhere. Thanks so much for your posts! In the short time I've been on TSP I've learned a lot from you =). Kudos!!

Offline GearingUp

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #130 on: March 02, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »
Oops...just noticed there IS a 2012 thread lol  :P. But still...how did the Swan's taste?? Ok, off to read the 2012 thread....  ;)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #131 on: March 02, 2012, 07:20:42 PM »
Oops...just noticed there IS a 2012 thread lol  :P. But still...how did the Swan's taste?? Ok, off to read the 2012 thread....  ;)

The "Swan White" Acorn squash?

I did not do a side-by-side test with another variety, but it seemed to be wavering between a normal acorn squash like "Table Queen" and slightly waterier? I am not ruling them out yet and they are very lovely to see in the garden. I am not a huge Acorn fan, as I prefer the curcurbita moschata family. The Acorns are in the curcurbita pepo family.  ;)

Cedar