Photobucket

Author Topic: Muffling the generator noise  (Read 8132 times)

Offline helper106

• Prepper
Muffling the generator noise
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:54:55 AM »
I am sorry if I am repeating an old thread, but i am new to this forum.

I recently got a 6500W generator, now the next big issue, how to muffle or disguise generator noise.

I stacked cinder blocks temporarily to make a "shelter" for the genny as it sits outside about 50' from the house. I do have a workshop but it is 1) 150' from the house (long way to run cords or trudge thru the blizzard) 2) the workshop is on the outside of my perimeter fencing, bizar I know, but just the way the fence line worked.

The fence is 5' and the dogs (more than 1) have the run of the fenced in yard. This discourages most unathorized entry. The cinder block construction just looks like a stack of blocks so it doesn't get much of a second look

I am in very rural southern Alberta (town population under 400) ---flat--dry---sound really travels.

Any suggestions?

Offline TANK

• Survivor
Re: Muffling the generator noise
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 11:05:26 AM »
Maybe building a small structure and sound proof it with insulation and such. Hide it behind scrubs trees or building the structure so it looks like an extension of your house. Or maybe the old out house, (bivy).

I am jealous of that large of an genny, I have a little 3500 but would like to have a standby generator.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
Might want to do a forum search. We have had a few good threads on the subject already.  ;)

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=4310.0

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=18438.0

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=590.0

Just to name a few.

Looks like I need to do some thread merging.
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 01:14:12 PM »
man if we were closer , i have some sound pruffing they use on jet engin test labs.
its light feels like hairy stucko ,hell id even help you load them.

you mite be able to add an extra muffler extind the exaust pipe and add a tractor muffler ?
i havent tryed it yet but should.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2011, 07:52:36 PM »
when I was in Iraq we stacked sandbags around them, it really helped with keeping the noise down.

Offline ore2u

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2011, 08:45:58 PM »
if generators are anything like air compressors but with a air compressor allot of the noise comes from the air intake. Muffling this greatly reduces the amount of noise you have to listen to.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from
too much government.
   Thomas Jefferson

Offline Leonidas

• Prepper
  • I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2011, 02:33:45 PM »
One occasion when I was in the army we used Bails of Straw to muffle the sound, it was impressive how much it muffled it, we also used exhaust extension pipes, to move where the exhaust fumes came out.

A tip, you can lie on this pipe, It's like a hot water bottle or use it to heat/dry clothing
Father of 4 wonderful little ladies, and husband to an amazing lucky woman.

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 08:11:08 PM »
if you are in a stationary place where you will be staying I would think the best thing would be a 3 foot deep hole, just watch for flooding.
put some big rocks in the bottom, etc to help with the drainage, it should absorb and direct the sound upward.

a car muffler adapted to the exhaust should really help, and would not choke it down at all. but that might make moving it harder unless it was detachable.

Offline JimQ

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 07:25:09 PM »
To muffle an air handling unit on a construction project we built temporary homasote walls.  It was a sorry looking mess that didn't hold up to rain at all.  You might have good results using hard board insulation.  You could build walls and a roof around the generator and pipe out the air intake and exhaust.

The lecturer who gave a sound proofing seminar I attended stated that sound proofing or mitigation should be installed as close to the noise source as possible.  This would help mitigate the noise to its fullest effect.

Jim

Offline welshman

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 10:06:32 AM »
You need to go to an rv sales lot and see what they use on the RV generators, look at the 5th wheels
Let's tear it down and start all over

Offline Joel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Just an old peckerwood in the desert.
    • The Ultimate Answer to Kings ... is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2011, 04:40:26 PM »
I stacked cinder blocks temporarily to make a "shelter" for the genny as it sits outside about 50' from the house
If it's an air-cooled engine, you really don't want to do that.  You're begging for overheating, which will cause valve troubles in a very short time and generally shorten engine life.
Just another freedomista blog - The ultimate answer to kings is not a bullet, but a belly laugh.

A Solar Electric System On the Cheap, On the Fly, and Off the Grid! - An Adventure in Self-Reliance and Creative Poverty

Offline 12XLR8

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 02:47:56 AM »
check out the honda EU6500. expensive but quiet approx. 59-62 db

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 12:50:17 PM »
The note about the Honda prompted me to write. I've got the eu2000, which is a small generator, but I simply can't say enough good things about the design. Starts no problem, ultra clean modified sine power, lightweight, extremely quiet (if I ever start it up near someone they always do a double take). The oil is difficult to change without any spillage, but other than that the Honda is the best I've owned, bar none.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 06:52:38 PM »
I have had an idea I've wanted to try for some time.

Dig a trench roughly two to three times the size you would need to fit the generator into with enough room around it for proper cooling etc. Place the generator in the hole at one end. Extend the exhaust toward the bottom of the other end of the hole and build a divider with the generator on one side and the exhaust outlet on the other. It needs to be relatively air tight or I suppose you could have your intake above grade. Get a bunch of large rocks and stack them into the hole on the exhaust outlet side making sure there are spaces between them for the exhaust to come up through. The idea being that the many odd angles of the rocks would attenuate the sound and with a large enough area keep you from having added much if any back-pressure on the engine. With everything below ground the noise that did come out would be directed up. the whole thing could be covered with a small structure or planks and tarpaper, just make sure to account for airflow and keep the exhaust out of the intake air as much as possible. A more permanent version of this could be done using a small concrete vault to house the generator. If you have a clothesline, you know the pipe kind in the shape of a T, you can plumb your intake to that to get it above grade and keep it camouflaged. Maybe even run your exhaust through the one on the other end.

I understand the Yamaha Generators are also quiet.
"Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito"
"Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it."
Virgil's Aeneid, Book VI

Offline 12XLR8

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2011, 10:24:49 PM »
I have a question, my friend once told me that when you buy a generator that you'll have to start it up once a month.
Mine is in storage for about a year will this ruin it?

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2011, 10:46:18 PM »
I have a question, my friend once told me that when you buy a generator that you'll have to start it up once a month.

Nope - but it might not be as ready as you hoped...

You run it once a month to make sure that you
1) use the gas before it go's stale
2) verify that the hardware works
3) keep a good understanding of it's quirks for start-up and running.
4) Keeps the internal parts lubed

Remember to rotate your gas and use stabilizer.
Brad(bn4) - In Colorado

SmartLikeTruck

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2011, 12:04:49 AM »

Your friend may be referring to the problem with some generators where there isn't enough remaining magnetism in the fields to get the genny producing. Look up field flashing for your particular model of generator to find the procedure to fix it if it ever occurs.

Offline 12XLR8

• Prepper
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2011, 10:29:22 PM »
thanks guys