Author Topic: Log skidder for ATV  (Read 8230 times)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
Log skidder for ATV
« on: January 24, 2009, 10:30:58 PM »
We have been cutting poles out of our timber for a project we are making and came up with a cool way to drag them behind an ATV.

I had been trying to figure a way to use my ATV to drag some trees I had cut. I had tried a few different ways that weren't working very well.
I had a skid plate from a Geo tracker that was scrap, I noticed it had a hole drilled in it that looked like it would fit the hitch ball on the quad. Which it did perfectly.

Then I noticed it had some bars that would hold the tree to it in place using a strap wrapped around the tree.

It worked perfect, it skidded the logs perfectly. Goes over bumps, other trees and rocks like a hot knife going through butter.

I just bungee it to the box to transport.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
Re: Log skidder for ATV
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 11:10:53 PM »
+1 for ingenuity Bailey!

Offline Zombie Axe

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 06:34:15 PM »
Cool Bailey! Nice pics  :) +1 as well ;D

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »
Thanks!  My wife is building a firewood storage shed out of the logs when it gets finished I'll do a post on it. Snowed last night so we will wait till it's gone to continue working on the shed.

tash

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »
Nice skid! Might have to find some scrap metal and make me one of those. Ingenuity at it's finest. +1 from me.

Offline Dirt Rider 3006

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 07:37:40 PM »
That is an under-engineered, overly uncomplicated and simplistic solution to a problem.

Good for you man !!!!!!  +1

When I was kid we used to do the same thing with my mom's little Morgan horse (he was just shy of 14 hands... a bit under 5 ft.)

Wish I could find some of those pics... That horse actually enjoyed pulling logs out of the woods... As soon as he heard the chain hook up to the swingletree he was off...