Author Topic: UV and seperate washer/dryer  (Read 5508 times)

Offline MSCRCEI7

• Prepper
  • 1st step in fixing your car; Ceteris paribus.
UV and seperate washer/dryer
« on: January 17, 2011, 04:15:18 AM »
So I'm getting prepped for future hunting, and I want to get my clothing washed with the UV sports wash to help my advantages.  Thing is, I don't want to mix my hunting/etc clothing in with the normal clothes, so I figured I could get a mini washing machine to do the few things.  But I can't find a mini dryer, and I'm afraid to mix those in with the normal clothes in the standard dryer if I go through all that trouble to begin with.

Is their such thing as a mini dryer?  Or suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks,
-M7

Maryetta

Re: UV and seperate washer/dryer
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 04:33:30 AM »
So I'm getting prepped for future hunting, and I want to get my clothing washed with the UV sports wash to help my advantages.  Thing is, I don't want to mix my hunting/etc clothing in with the normal clothes, so I figured I could get a mini washing machine to do the few things.  But I can't find a mini dryer, and I'm afraid to mix those in with the normal clothes in the standard dryer if I go through all that trouble to begin with.

Is their such thing as a mini dryer?  Or suggestions on what I can do?

Thanks,
-M7

GE makes a mini "space saver" washer & dryer: https://us2.startpage-proxy.com/do/show_picture.pl?l=english&cat=pics&c=pf&q=%22mini+clothes+dryer%22&h=500&w=480&th=300&tw=288&fn=gewdr2.jpg&fs=34%20k&el=bing_pics&tu=http:%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fimages%2Fthumbnail.aspx%3Fq%3D436303693346%26id%3D5c93b536f933e71c0588289fa6c97129&rl=NONE&u=http:%2F%2Fdfwfurniturestore.com%2Fitem.php%3FItemID%3D338&udata=0dff4498f3f66d463d5676f4b4080e1e&rid=LBLMTPMQNSOK&oiu=http:%2F%2Fdfwfurniturestore.com%2Fimages%2Fgewdr2.jpg

If you go this route, NEVER use a fabric softener, dryer sheet or such or you'll have scent issues for a very long time.
A clothes line, or air drying would be just as good, and cheaper.
One thing I used to do is take my hunting clothes out a week or so before hunting season and put them outside.  Depending upon where you hunt (I hunt our farm) you can put them in the area you hunt, on a branch or on the ground ~ what ever your comfort level is ~  Then they will smell like the 'area' when you put them on.   
Then, only your body... and breath (something no one considers, at all it seems...) will be 'different' from the area.
Even that can be over come if you are really in a wild area where un natural scents are a serious factor.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:38:56 AM by Maryetta »

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 08:30:19 AM »
 You could just wash your hunting clothes in a bucket and hang them dry rather than use a drier.

When I was bow hunting, I just hung my clothes outside in a tree for a few days before I went out. That way they got the "outdoorsy" smell like maryetta had mentioned. I never had an issue with odors. For gun season here, I don't bother doing that anymore.

It's funny how everyone has gotten so used to scented detergents and fabric softeners that we try to find ways of covering it all up or removing it. I've used an unscented home made detergent for so long, that I can smell someone coming by the smell of detergent or fabric softeners. You can make a simple detergent with unscented soap, Borax, and washing soda. We've used it here for 5 or 6 years, and never plan to go back to perfumed store-bought stuff. It will work just as well, if not better, than the "specialty" soaps and sprays marketed towards hunters. IMO most of that is nothing but a marketing ploy. "Use our product and you'll get more deer"  Cover scents, sprays, soaps, boot pads, deodorant, etc.  Just eliminate the perfumes and you're fine.

Maryetta

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 01:17:34 PM »
GE makes a mini "space saver" washer & dryer: https://us2.startpage-proxy.com/do/show_picture.pl?l=english&cat=pics&c=pf&q=%22mini+clothes+dryer%22&h=500&w=480&th=300&tw=288&fn=gewdr2.jpg&fs=34%20k&el=bing_pics&tu=http:%2F%2Fts3.mm.bing.net%2Fimages%2Fthumbnail.aspx%3Fq%3D436303693346%26id%3D5c93b536f933e71c0588289fa6c97129&rl=NONE&u=http:%2F%2Fdfwfurniturestore.com%2Fitem.php%3FItemID%3D338&udata=0dff4498f3f66d463d5676f4b4080e1e&rid=LBLMTPMQNSOK&oiu=http:%2F%2Fdfwfurniturestore.com%2Fimages%2Fgewdr2.jpg

If you go this route, NEVER use a fabric softener, dryer sheet or such or you'll have scent issues for a very long time.
A clothes line, or air drying would be just as good, and cheaper.
One thing I used to do is take my hunting clothes out a week or so before hunting season and put them outside.  Depending upon where you hunt (I hunt our farm) you can put them in the area you hunt, on a branch or on the ground ~ what ever your comfort level is ~  Then they will smell like the 'area' when you put them on.   
Then, only your body... and breath (something no one considers, at all it seems...) will be 'different' from the area.
Even that can be over come if you are really in a wild area where un natural scents are a serious factor.

Also, an item few seem to think of, "we" go to all the trouble to 'de scent' ourselves, then clean our gun the night before...  not that "that" has a different odor...

Offline MSCRCEI7

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 09:41:42 PM »
Awesome, thanks all.

Those washer and dryer combo/setups are actually cheaper than the half rigged mini washer I found.  That's awesome.

Yea, it's hard to get rid of the smell when your so used to it, and you don't know what all has a smell.  I'll have to try some of that non-scent stuff too.

Thanks again, I'll definitely get working on this.

-M7

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 10:55:27 PM »
Honestly, paying attention to the wind and sitting still will get you a lot further than spending money on a separate washer / dryer.

I wash my stuff in unscented detergent and put it in a bag with cedar chips, lavender and pine boughs.

Shot my buck this year from less than 30 yards away. Quiet, down wind and still. I was not using any 'lure' scent and only spray a little 'earth' scent on my boots.

I had several other deer very close this year as well that never saw me and was in khaki pants and a rag wool sweater.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 06:16:41 PM »
Honestly, paying attention to the wind and sitting still will get you a lot further than spending money on a separate washer / dryer.

I wash my stuff in unscented detergent and put it in a bag with cedar chips, lavender and pine boughs.
^^This^^

If you want to kill the UV in your clothes, just wash them without any detergent & make sure they've been washed several times.   

Better yet, skip the camo altogether.  Hunt in neutral/earth-tone colored clothes that you've had for ages & you'll be just as successful (so long as you're not a newb hunter).  I hunt in an old pair of Cabela's canvas hiking pants & usually some type of flannel or wool checked shirt/jacket.  The neutral check coloring of the shirt breaks up your outline just as well as expensive camo (which is mostly made to part you from your hard earned money anyway).

Knowing how your prey sees & operates in their world will get you a lot closer than UV killer & a new washer/dryer.  Just sayin....

Offline MSCRCEI7

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 10:47:11 PM »
Well, the thing is.. I'm a newb.

Maryetta

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2011, 04:34:03 AM »

"what" deer see is something like what we see under a black light - imagine the glowing white we see under a black light... thus the reason for the non UV detergent. 
DeltaEchoVictor is right, neutral colored clothes will work just fine - I mention the color white only because it is so common in most flannel shirts and the only color that will "glow" with or without the UV detergent.   
Also note that deer are color blind, so the expensive camo really isn't needed in all honesty.  Just pay attention to what you're doing - which is exactly what you are trying to do here - and you'll be fine.
Another piece of illogical logic... hunters tend to buy the best, quietest camo they can find/afford for hunting season... and some of it is quite expensive.  Then they cover it over with solid (meaning no pattern to it) BLAZE ORANGE...

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2011, 12:40:13 PM »
Here's the thing - in the US you have been conditioned to believe that technology solves everything.

Shooting - no need to practice shooting, you just need a $600 Leupold scope and a $2500 rifle.

Golf - forget the driving range, all you need is a $2,000 set of custom Nike clubs. Your slice - probably your shoes.

Softball - what your local team league needs is a $400 bat.

Home defense - you cannot stop a home invasion without an M4 and an EOTECH

Hunting - $300 in Under Armor bibs / jacket, carbon / silver lined underclothes, 'stealth' boots, $5 each broadheads, cover scent, lure scent, UV killer, unscented deodorant, etc, etc, etc.

Look at it this way - prior to 1960 there was no camo anything. The average hunter had wool pants and a cotton 'duck' canvas field coat. They had a 30-30 or 30-06 rifle, either bolt or lever. I guarantee there were more clean kills made at better ranges than currently. If you are a new hunter, learn about hunting. It takes time in the woods and experience - no amount of gear will make a difference.

Dress so you don't sweat. Get in early and stay late. Know the area. Stay down wind. Don't move, don't text, don't pee where you are sitting. Be quiet. After you get settled and are doing the above for about 45 mins you will see some animals. You may hunt all day and never see a deer, regardless of what you do or don't do.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 07:59:59 PM »
LMAO...well, come to Missouri & I'll school ya.  :D

Sorry, sometimes I forget there are those among us that didn't grow up running hills, woods & rivers like I did.

Okay then, go with camo...but go with whatever is cheap & preferably used.  The woodland camo that you can find in any surplus store is perfect for most applications & it doesn't matter if it's faded.  All you're really looking for is something to break up the "human" form.  Wash it in water with no detergent a few times (most detergents have UV brighteners in them) & you don't want that.  You'll literally glow to a deer....like Maryetta said, they see the blue light spectrum.

If you decide to go with a cover scent, go with something that's indigenous to the area...that is, you don't want to store your hunting clothing in cedar chips if there are no cedar trees in the area.  Deer are prey, they've evolved with prey senses.  That means if something registers to them that is foreign it's automatically a threat (with very few caveats, because sometimes they're curious too).  Explore the area you're going to hunt, see what's there.  Use whatever is there as part of your cover scent....if you have oak leaves where you're hunting then gather a trash bag full of oak leaves, or whatever is there & use that to store your clothes in.  It can be in a rubbermaid bin dedicated to hunting clothes or a trash bag, doesn't really matter. 

Above all else, spend some time in the woods.  Woods time is different than human time.  Everything is slower, you need patience & good senses when you're in the woods.  If you need to cover 100 yards, then you need to do it slow.  When I squirrel hunt it might take me half a day to cover 100 or 200 yards.  If you're new to hunting you're going to sound like a human in the woods.  When you move you need to move slowly & deliberately.  Walking in the woods while hunting is different than strolling down the street.  You take a few steps & then you stop & listen & look.  If you're moving in the woods it should be ears first, eyes second, head third & body last.  It'll take you some time to figure out what sounds in the woods are, but your ears are your best ally when out & about in the wild.

There are two good ways to learn about being in the woods.  The first is to get out there & stay out there a while & make some mistakes.  The other way is to find a mentor to show you the ropes, & that's really the best way.  Don't let the lack of a mentor discourage you though.  You're doing the right thing by asking questions & I'm always happy to help however I can.  The rest of the folks here are as well.  ;)