Author Topic: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV  (Read 92593 times)

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
Re: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2009, 09:53:47 PM »
I guess the reason I mentioned was mainly the Fremen and of course Duncan Idaho.  :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2009, 09:55:28 PM »
You betcha.  How could Hunter ever be off topic?

;D Who knows.  I'm afraid nearly every good conversation I get into here is "off topic".  lol!

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2009, 09:59:50 PM »
You betcha.  How could Hunter ever be off topic?

;D Who knows.  I'm afraid nearly every good conversation I get into here is "off topic".  lol!

good discussions tend to do that  ;)

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
I don't HATE you for it..but I beg to differ.  Day After Tomorrow, like virtually everything that comes out of Hollyweird is about the actual event and not so much about surviving after it.  Yes, DAT had a LITTLE bit of survival content to it.  The facts that the kids knew how to survive better than anyone else was pretty ironic.  I would be really interested in "The Years After the Day After Tomorrow"  Why the Hell can't they make THAT movie?

lol..."The Years After the Day After Tomorrow". Hilarious. Let's pitch it to Hollywood.

On the movie topic let's not forget a couple of the Costner flicks like "The Postman" and "Waterworld".
« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 09:38:51 AM by Tycoon »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2009, 11:09:32 AM »

On the movie topic let's not forget a couple of the Costner flicks like "The Postman" and "Waterworld".

I'd like to forget those films...

Michael Masse

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2009, 11:24:54 AM »
I never saw Postman but did watch Waterworld.  What a waste.
Kevin Costner is a strange actor to me.  He has been in some great movies that I have enjoyed.  Robin Hood Prince of Thieves (perhaps a survival movie) and I really liked Dances with Wolves but a lot of the time he is difficult to watch.  Not sure if it is poor acting or what but it really seems weird to me.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2009, 11:47:20 AM »
Congrats!!  Of the two crappy Kevin Costner PAW movies...you watched the crappier one.   :D

I have had the misfortune to have seen both. ::)

« Last Edit: February 04, 2009, 11:53:21 AM by Tactical Badger »

Michael Masse

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2009, 12:49:48 PM »
Has anyone seen the movie or read the book "My side of the Mountain".

I loved it as a kid.  It's about a young teen who lives in NYC and heads out to the woods for a year or so to see if he can survive.

Great to show kids if you got any.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »
Here it is on youtube in ten minute segments. My side of the Mountain

Michael Masse

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2009, 01:40:45 PM »
Thanks Dan +1 for you.  Didn't even think to look for it on Youtube.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2009, 01:49:06 PM »
I just started looking for stuff like this on youtube the other day when Damnation Alley was mentioned and have been surprised at what I have been able to find there. For example I have been wanting to watch After MASH since I like the MASH series but haven't found it for sale recently. I was however able to find it on youtube.  ;D

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2009, 01:54:10 PM »
OMG!  I loved that book as a kid. I used to read it over and over!  I had no idea they did a movie.  That is so awesome.  +1 Dan 

bjackson

« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2009, 03:14:30 PM »
"My Side of the Mountain" has stuck with me ever since I saw in the theater (late 60's).

Michael Masse

« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2009, 03:31:22 PM »
I turned my kids on to the movie years ago and there is a scene in the movie where the kid's little sister is always saying "Next Summer".  So whenever we didn't get to do something during the summer and one of us would say we'll have to do it next summer the whole family will repeat the words almost on cue "next summer".

Guess you have to be there, but pretty funny.

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2009, 02:34:58 AM »
FWIW we love Day After Tomorrow...but we just love it as a quirky, 'could this really happen?' type movie...and I think the dd likes Jake! lol 

But Macgyver...now there was a cool guy...he could do anything with a gum wrapper!!

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2009, 04:15:53 AM »

I loved it as a kid.  It's about a young teen who lives in NYC and heads out to the woods for a year or so to see if he can survive.

I had my middle son read it for either summer reading or for English a year or two ago.   He liked it.  I was disappointed to find out it wasn't a true story!  When I was a kid, that was the kind of thing I dreamed about doing.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2009, 08:25:47 AM »
  I'm surprised no one has brought up any of the zombie movies, especially the Robert Rodriguez flicks like" Night of the Living Dead" and all the sequels and remakes. I also enjoyed - 28 Days Later and The Happening. As far as books go, I wish someone would make Steven King's "Cell" into a movie. Again, none are too realistic, but fun anyway.

Red Dawn and Jericho are just givens.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2009, 12:43:13 PM »

I had my middle son read it for either summer reading or for English a year or two ago.   He liked it.  I was disappointed to find out it wasn't a true story!  When I was a kid, that was the kind of thing I dreamed about doing.

maybe this biographical info on the writer will make you feel better.  This is on her website and wikipedia

"Jean Craighead George was born in Washington, D.C. and raised in a family of naturalists, Jean George has centered her life around writing and nature. Her father, mother, brothers, aunts and uncles were students of nature. On weekends they camped in the woods near their Washington, D.C. home, climbed trees to study owls, gathered edible plants and made fish hooks from twigs. Her first pet was a turkey vulture. In third grade she began writing and hasn't stopped yet. She has written over 100 books."

I swear I remember reading somewhere that when she was a little girl she tried to run away and live in the woods, but I can't remember where I read that.  Also, this may interest you. 

"George wrote four sequels[to My Side of The Mountain]: On the Far Side of the Mountain (1991), Frightful's Mountain (1999), Frightful's Daughter (2002) and Frightful's Daughter Meets the Baron Weasel (2007). This appears to conclude the sequels."

I read the first of those as a kid, but I wasn't aware of others. The one I read was good.  Basically his sister wants to live in the woods too. I will have to check out those other 3

Michael Masse

« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2009, 09:11:16 PM »
Thanks Roswell for the research on the book.  I will have to track those down.

This might not click with everyone but I read a book called "Wild at Heart" and one of the ideas that the author talks about is how Adam was created in the wilderness and placed in the garden.  So his longing is for the wilderness because in a sense that is home.  I thought it was something interesting to chew on.  Seems like guys really enjoy the woods, fishing, hunting, hiking etc...  and have some kind of inner longing to be back with nature.  I know I do.

Kind of cool to think about.

obie101

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2009, 09:46:30 PM »
Talking about i am legend reminds me has anyone watched Omega man with Charleton Heston. (an oldie but goodie) Also due out sometime this spring or summer Is a movie based upon the book the Road post apocalyptic world. From what i gather it was supposed to come out this fall but was pushed back (wonder why?)

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2009, 10:51:06 PM »
Loved Omega man and its predecessor last man on earth.  I loved the  BBC series day of the Triffids 80's version if you have netflix you can view it instantly..
http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The_Day_of_the_Triffids/70079027?trkid=222336&lnkctr=srchrd-sr&strkid=409933935_0_0 Great apocalyptic movie.

Offline gpd240

• Survivor
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2009, 09:44:26 AM »
Hey thanks for posting the link to My Side of the Mountain. I watched it this morning, and enjoyed it. I just wish I would have seen it when i was little, I'm gonna have to buy this one for my son.

Offline centurion

• Prepper
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2009, 05:46:24 PM »
Has any one seen the original I am Legend Movie called The Last Man On Earth With Vincent Price .Great movie Especially if you like black and whites movies .He survived for years with only wooden stakes the defend himself .The zombie vampires didn't make much scents especially the talking ones .As far as books go as goofy as it sounds World War Z is a good book.Set in a world being consumed by a zombie plague .It deals mostly in fact and touches on every thing from government response to public unrest .

johnnybgood30

« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2009, 08:26:32 PM »
IDK i have not seen it yet but ant broke back mounten about some ranchers surviving up on a mountan. in the cold??

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2009, 02:49:49 AM »
IDK i have not seen it yet but ant broke back mounten about some ranchers surviving up on a mountan. in the cold??

I believe it was, I think the ranchers had to huddle together for heat.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2009, 03:42:23 AM »

They eventually sucked it up and the plot was driven home.  Not sure if any one survived though.

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2009, 04:20:47 AM »

They eventually sucked it up and the plot was driven home.  Not sure if any one survived though.

LMAO... Yeah, I guess Broke Back Mountain was a "survival" movie of sorts.

You two n'er-do-wells need to....

JohnnyBGood Wikity Clickety for an explanation of what that movie is about. ;)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 01:05:11 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Michael Masse

« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2009, 09:55:58 AM »
We digress

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2009, 11:38:01 AM »
Ya' think?

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2009, 07:18:40 PM »
Also that move "Into the Wild". At least I think that was the name of it where the college kid made his way up to Alaska. A lot to be learned from that movie. True story too.