Author Topic: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV  (Read 91371 times)

Michael Masse

Re: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2009, 09:15:16 PM »
I really enjoyed "Into the Wild"  Having lived in Alaska a number of years ago you learn quick that Alaska is not the place to be unprepared. Living off the land with just a backpack of stuff is a huge undertaking.

Now one great PBS show on Alaskan Survival was "One Man's Wilderness" a true story about a man who gets dropped of in the wilderness and videos diaries 30 years of his life as he builds a log cabin, fishes, hunts etc.

Billy McKay

« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2009, 12:10:59 AM »
I really enjoyed "Into the Wild"  Having lived in Alaska a number of years ago you learn quick that Alaska is not the place to be unprepared. Living off the land with just a backpack of stuff is a huge undertaking.

Now one great PBS show on Alaskan Survival was "One Man's Wilderness" a true story about a man who gets dropped of in the wilderness and videos diaries 30 years of his life as he builds a log cabin, fishes, hunts etc.

Dick Proenekke, his diaries were edited in to a book as well.
http://www.dickproenneke.com/DickProenneke.html

LoneSpar

« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2009, 02:12:16 AM »
Yes,  'Red Dawn' and 'Jericho' are givens to me as well.  The series 'Jeremiah' was pretty good. 
   There is a movie out there called 'The Survivalist' with Marjoe Gortner and Steve Railsback that could have been a whole lot better, but is OK for a B-ish movie. The Tagline for this is "His country destroyed. His family killed...now they must face him."  'Deep Impact' dealt with some survival after a natural disaster as well.

LoneSpar

« Reply #63 on: February 15, 2009, 02:17:16 AM »
The BBC show "Special Forces: Manhunt" was good too.  Like 'Man vs Wild' with guns.  This ran on the Military Channel!!!

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2009, 11:14:34 AM »

maybe this biographical info on the writer will make you feel better.  This is on her website and wikipedia

"Jean Craighead George was born in Washington, D.C. and raised in a family of naturalists, Jean George has centered her life around writing and nature. Her father, mother, brothers, aunts and uncles were students of nature. On weekends they camped in the woods near their Washington, D.C. home, climbed trees to study owls, gathered edible plants and made fish hooks from twigs. Her first pet was a turkey vulture. In third grade she began writing and hasn't stopped yet. She has written over 100 books."

I swear I remember reading somewhere that when she was a little girl she tried to run away and live in the woods, but I can't remember where I read that.  Also, this may interest you. 

"George wrote four sequels[to My Side of The Mountain]: On the Far Side of the Mountain (1991), Frightful's Mountain (1999), Frightful's Daughter (2002) and Frightful's Daughter Meets the Baron Weasel (2007). This appears to conclude the sequels."

I read the first of those as a kid, but I wasn't aware of others. The one I read was good.  Basically his sister wants to live in the woods too. I will have to check out those other 3

Thanks for that information - I think I had heard of "On the Far Side of the Mountain" but not the others.  I might get OTFSOTM soon.

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2009, 11:20:40 AM »
Also that move "Into the Wild". At least I think that was the name of it where the college kid made his way up to Alaska. A lot to be learned from that movie. True story too.

We just hired "Into the Wild" yesterday - planning to watch it sometime this week!!  Hadn't seen the posts here yet on it but I lucked out when I spotted it in the "Old or Dull Movies No One Really Wants to Check Out a Lot" section.    Along with it we hired "I am Legend" which we watched last night - wish we hadn't.

Y'all may laugh - but from the ads I had seen for this movie I had no idea there were mutant zombies in it - which seems to be the main theme of the movie!  Here I was, thinking this was going to be some nice movie about a guy learning to live by himself after everyone had died.  Sort of Castaway in the Big City.   Boy did I get a shock.  I spent much of the movie getting very acquainted with dh's pajama shirt with the blankets over my head!! :o :o

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Gilligan's Island - now that was a resourceful lot.  Look at the stuff they brought, although it was only supposed to be a 3-hour tour, a 3-hour tour.......  (tic)

« Last Edit: February 15, 2009, 11:24:52 AM by Rosesandtea »

Offline radiomacgyver

• Senior Survivalist
  • Zello handle: radiomacgyver
« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2009, 07:15:46 PM »
Does anyone remember the name of the survival movie (made in the 1980's) with the following parts in it:

A "wannabee military" doctor who is part of a "family survivalist camp"
who gets a call while he is in the operating room about an "event" taking place which is a signal to  go to the bug out location,
he picks up his hot looking trophy wife who is at home and rushes her out the door, spilling a glass of wine on the carpet.

In the mean time, his children, ex-wife and others get the word and leave to meet at the camp.
Once at the camp they set up and while keeping on a "tight schedule" this doctor who is the very anal leader set.

Does this ring a bell?

I know at the end there is a standoff where a child gets shot. Kind of weird, but had some entertainment value.

Thanks for your help

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2009, 08:12:15 PM »
Defcon 4 is also a good survival movie.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2009, 11:20:09 PM »
  The movie " I Am Legend " was very much toned down from the Richard Matheson novel. One cool thing about the book was that he wasn't a doctor, and he pretty much learned everything from books from the library. I think the creatures were more like vampires in the book as well. The novel was a lot more dark and depressing than the movie.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2009, 11:21:06 PM »
  The movie " I Am Legend " was very much toned down from the Richard Matheson novel. One cool thing about the book was that he wasn't a doctor, and he pretty much learned everything from books from the library. I think the creatures were more like vampires in the book as well. The novel was a lot more dark and depressing than the movie.

I liked that they could communicate as well.  More like the Omega man.

Billy McKay

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2009, 05:43:37 PM »
Defcon 4 is also a good survival movie.

Classic 80's cheese. I rented it last year, just to make sure it was as bad, and as good, as I remembered.

Some of you folks actually liked Jericho? i couldn't watch it after a couple of episodes. I would always just sit there thinking to myself 'I wouldn't do that' or 'That was a dumb move' over and over again.

Michael Masse

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2009, 06:37:14 PM »
Well it's not like Jericho is well made.  It is simply a SHTF scenario and kind of feeds my curiosity.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2009, 08:30:13 PM »
I doubt that anyone truly knows how he/she would behave/handle such a situation.  We all know how we HOPE we would react, but we have nothing (yet) to base such knowledge on.

As for Jericho - how many of us (not used to such hardship, fear, uncertainty, etc.) would really know how to react to that type of situation?  Many of us are in our "own little world" and, while part of us believes that something like that could happen (to some degree), aren't willing to accept that it really will.

Jericho woke a lot (thousands) of people up.  The parallel to what is going on in REAL life - as opposed to REEL life - is uncanny!  (in fact there was a scene of the "new President" Tomarcho - when he was giving his speech, saying:  "The Allied States of America" looked so much like Obama when he made a similar statement.  The same tilt of the head, and "attitude".

The Jericho "citizens" acted - not as professionals who knew - without a doubt - what to do (as in so many REEL situations), but as one might expect the average citizen (in REAL life) to react.  We aren't (most of us) trained in the proper response to ANY type of attack.  We (most) would stumble (or freeze) as well. But we could - and would - learn.
There weren't any "superheroes" (stand behind me, I'll save the world) types in Jericho.  Jericho expressed all the emotions that would undoubtedly be seen in real life.
The Jericho citizens persevered because of their strength of will, nor foreknowledge.  That's what made Jericho great - it more closely reflected REAL life. 

Billy McKay

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2009, 09:16:27 PM »
I doubt that anyone truly knows how he/she would behave/handle such a situation.  We all know how we HOPE we would react, but we have nothing (yet) to base such knowledge on.

As for Jericho - how many of us (not used to such hardship, fear, uncertainty, etc.) would really know how to react to that type of situation?  Many of us are in our "own little world" and, while part of us believes that something like that could happen (to some degree), aren't willing to accept that it really will.

Jericho woke a lot (thousands) of people up.  The parallel to what is going on in REAL life - as opposed to REEL life - is uncanny!  (in fact there was a scene of the "new President" Tomarcho - when he was giving his speech, saying:  "The Allied States of America" looked so much like Obama when he made a similar statement.  The same tilt of the head, and "attitude".

The Jericho "citizens" acted - not as professionals who knew - without a doubt - what to do (as in so many REEL situations), but as one might expect the average citizen (in REAL life) to react.  We aren't (most of us) trained in the proper response to ANY type of attack.  We (most) would stumble (or freeze) as well. But we could - and would - learn.
There weren't any "superheroes" (stand behind me, I'll save the world) types in Jericho.  Jericho expressed all the emotions that would undoubtedly be seen in real life.
The Jericho citizens persevered because of their strength of will, nor foreknowledge.  That's what made Jericho great - it more closely reflected REAL life. 

Nothing to base such knowledge on? You can't be serious.

Anyway, glad you liked the show.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2009, 09:45:08 PM »

Nothing to base such knowledge on? You can't be serious.

Anyway, glad you liked the show.

You have had such experience?  Would you be willing to share?  (Including how you handled the situation)  Please.

Billy McKay

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
Lets see. From what I watched of the show food and water became an issue - yes, I've delt with that. Medical supplies became in issue, lets see, yes - I've delt with that too. There was a physical threat from some violent folks, yes, delt with that. Fuel ran short, so transportation was limited - seen that. Fires, floods, yes, yes. Nuclear Fallout...you got me there. Never delt with that. I suppose it would be like operating in other hazardous environments which i've done a lot of, and I doubt I'd approach it any differently than normal. What else...the folks in the show had it pretty good from what I saw, still had cops on duty, a medical center, weapons, limited supplies. Didn't look too bad overall.

Were you trying to cut me down, or genuinely curious?

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »
I'm pretty sure flagtag wasn't trying to cut you down at all.

I would like to hear about experiences anyone has had with any of the issues you pointed out.  We can all learn from lessons of others.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2009, 04:26:32 AM »
Lets see. From what I watched of the show food and water became an issue - yes, I've delt with that. Medical supplies became in issue, lets see, yes - I've delt with that too. There was a physical threat from some violent folks, yes, delt with that. Fuel ran short, so transportation was limited - seen that. Fires, floods, yes, yes. Nuclear Fallout...you got me there. Never delt with that. I suppose it would be like operating in other hazardous environments which i've done a lot of, and I doubt I'd approach it any differently than normal. What else...the folks in the show had it pretty good from what I saw, still had cops on duty, a medical center, weapons, limited supplies. Didn't look too bad overall.

Were you trying to cut me down, or genuinely curious?

Not at all.  Just pointing out the fact that the majority of the people in this country have NOT experienced anything like that first hand.  There are those who have experienced the devastation of fire, flood, earthquakes, hurricanes and that is disseminated repeatedly "for" us on TV daily - but in total, the number of US citizens that have really experienced anything like that is relatively small.   We have only "experienced" it secondhand - through the media.

Yes, the Jericho "residents" had it fairly "easy", I guess.  But the show pointed out the need to be prepared.  ANYTHING can happen at any time! The fact that Jericho was such a small town helped them survive - together.  Most of them knew each other.   Had it been set in a large city, the storyline would have probably been quite different.  "Community" - a sense of "togetherness" made the difference for the "citizens" of Jericho. They were closer to "family", than just neighbors.  How many people in large cities really know all their neighbors - a couple hundred to a couple thousand?  In this case "size" is everything.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2009, 08:13:15 PM »
One I thought was very good was a film by Jon Avnet called UPRISING.

Allerion

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2009, 08:26:06 PM »
Red Dawn...and I am surprised nobody mentioned Rambo. :)  Rambo was what inspired me to learn to built snares and shelters as well as to get involved in bow hunting.

I also consider Fight Club a modern survivalist movie.  He lived on the fringe and generally off the grid while eschewing dependence on "the system."  This movie did a great job of showing the difference between what you WANT and what you NEED.  "The things you own, own you."  Make your own soap...make your own explosives!

The vehicle in Damnation Alley was very cool.   I must be the only other guy that remembers that movie. :)

Offline johnnyb_good30

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2009, 01:54:10 AM »
How about the day after tomorrow???And why is it that people never have the simple stuff for when the shit hits.???

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2009, 02:05:23 AM »
I'm surprised The Edge hasn't been mentioned.  If you can stand Alec Baldwin you should give it a shot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119051/

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)

Offline radiomacgyver

• Senior Survivalist
  • Zello handle: radiomacgyver
« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2009, 08:29:50 AM »
Does anyone remember the name of the survival movie (made in the 1980's) with the following parts in it:

A "wannabee military" doctor who is part of a "family survivalist camp"
who gets a call while he is in the operating room about an "event" taking place which is a signal to  go to the bug out location,
he picks up his hot looking trophy wife who is at home and rushes her out the door, spilling a glass of wine on the carpet.

In the mean time, his children, ex-wife and others get the word and leave to meet at the camp.
Once at the camp they set up and while keeping on a "tight schedule" this doctor who is the very anal leader set.

Does this ring a bell?

I know at the end there is a standoff where a child gets shot. Kind of weird, but had some entertainment value.

Thanks for your help

I found out the name of the movie...it was MASSIVE RETALIATION and was made in 1984.   Check this link if your interested;  http://www.mtv.com/movies/movie/22324/moviemain.jhtml

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2009, 09:40:44 AM »
I'm going to have to go out on a limb and say THE THING..... Trapped in an isolated location with the added benefit of group dynamic stress.... like i said out on a limb!  ;)

Offline ColdSoul

• Prepper
« Reply #86 on: February 25, 2009, 11:13:34 AM »
All these pages and nobody mentioned the TV series from the 70's "Survivors" or "The Survivors" as it had "The" added on a lot but it's not really part of the title.

It's about how some scientist in China infects himself accidentally with a plague type virus and he then flies all over the world which starts this huge amount of people dieing. Something like 1 in 5000 people survive the virus.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072572/

The great thing about this show is that it seems very true to what could possibly happen in a SHTF situation such as this. There is people who are hoarding the food in the supermarkets and stuff in shops, gas, etc by having a roving band of people running around towns with guns. So the main people of the show set out to setup a independent life on a small farm. They even make points to not try and use tractors and what not because it will waste gas and even if they can make there own gas through saving the gases off manure they wouldn't be able to fix the tractor if it broke.

Well worth checking out if you can. I have all 3 seasons and have watched them at least 2 times.

Of course other tv shows are:

Survivorman (which includes Stranded, Snowshoes and Solitude, Living off the Grid)
Ray Mears (Bushcraft, Extreme Survival, World of Survival, Wild Food, Walkabout)
BTW I wouldn't watch Man VS Wild if you paid me, that guy is a complete fake in that he was staying in hotels while acting like he stayed outdoors.

My other favorites have already mentioned a lot are in no particular order:

Blindness (good movie to show what FEMA camps will likely be like in a big SHTF situation, though with blind people)
Defiance (great movie, a must see)
Hunted (cheesy especially the knife fights, but it has it's moments)
The Shooter (again cheesy but it has it's moments)
Mad Max Series (again cheesy but it has it's moments)
Predator (very cheesy, but it does have some survival things, like traps)
Rabbit Proof Fence (well worth seeing for anyone interested in liberty and survival)
Red Dawn (has it's moments and is pretty realistic in that most of the people die)
Rescue Dawn (pretty good, another jungle survival movie for part of it)
Robinson Crusoe (the book is much better as it goes into a lot of detail, talks about planting crops etc which the movie doesn't cover)
The Postman (a bit out there, and needs more survival stuff but it's ok)
Shaun of the Dead (a bit zombie, a bit comedy, a bit survival)
I am Legend (very crappy compared to the books, but still a little interesting)
City of Ember (more a kids movie, but interesting, sorta like Fall Out 3 the movie)
Dawn of the Dead (zombies)
Land of the Dead (zombies)
13 Monkeys (A bit strange, but pretty interesting)
28 Days Later (zombies)
28 Weeks Later (zombies)
The Terminal (stuck in airport, about as much about survival as the zombie movies are since both are about as likely to happen)

I know there is more, but those are the ones I have to look at and can think of at the moment. But I highly recommend you check out the Survivors TV show.

Storm

« Reply #87 on: February 25, 2009, 12:02:18 PM »
Gah, please don't put the 28's in the Zombie genre, they don't go there.

As for Rodriguez, the best things he did were D2Ds and the El Mariachi series. I'm sure he's bound to muck up Red Sonja for everyone.

For zombies, Romero is the way to go as Russo is a tool and the best thing he did was to decry the trash directors made once he quit his franchise.

I would highly reccommendhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(2008_TV_series), Survivors. It's a remake of the 70s one, which is also good. Jericho is fine by me also. Anything with a group dynamic I like a lot. Survivors is a series I happened upon by accident and was upset when the season ended.

The Postman book is a lot better than the move in my opinion and not because I dislike Costner. I used to hate him, but I like him now, he's caught some bad breaks.

The I Am Legends are also good, the novel is great and Vincent Price in the Last Man on Earth is also awesome. The newer one turned out better than I hoped. Omega Man and those types of era films are cool. None of which are zombies, but are vampiric in nature I'd even suggest some of the Planet of the Apes films.

For a larger and more comprehensive list, I generally get stuff from here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apocalyptic_and_post-apocalyptic_fiction

EDIT: Realized I didn't really answer the "What got you started" thing and it would probably be OT Nelson's "The Girl Who Owned a City". I got this book when I was about 10 from Scholastic and still have it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Owned_a_City

« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 12:12:34 PM by Storm »

Offline ColdSoul

• Prepper
« Reply #88 on: February 25, 2009, 12:43:50 PM »
Gah, please don't put the 28's in the Zombie genre, they don't go there.

As for Rodriguez, the best things he did were D2Ds and the El Mariachi series. I'm sure he's bound to muck up Red Sonja for everyone.

For zombies, Romero is the way to go as Russo is a tool and the best thing he did was to decry the trash directors made once he quit his franchise.

Whats wrong with referring to the 28's movies as "zombie" movies? They seem pretty much like zombies to me.

When you say D2D are you referring to Dusk to Dawn? Seen it and like it, but not one of my favs. Never seen the Living Dead series that I can remember (isn't that what Russo made?).

I would highly reccommendhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(2008_TV_series), Survivors. It's a remake of the 70s one, which is also good. Jericho is fine by me also. Anything with a group dynamic I like a lot. Survivors is a series I happened upon by accident and was upset when the season ended.

The Postman book is a lot better than the move in my opinion and not because I dislike Costner. I used to hate him, but I like him now, he's caught some bad breaks.

The I Am Legends are also good, the novel is great and Vincent Price in the Last Man on Earth is also awesome. The newer one turned out better than I hoped. Omega Man and those types of era films are cool. None of which are zombies, but are vampiric in nature I'd even suggest some of the Planet of the Apes films.

I have seen some of the new Survivors and it just doesn't do it for me. I have seen 8 episodes (IIRC) and it seems just a complete re-make almost exactly the same as the old series. To me the old series is MUCH better than the new one. Maybe it is just I can't stand having basically the same characters and even some of the names are the same player by completely different people, I think it ruins it for me. I might check back when there at least a couple seasons into it so see if it's worth my time, I hate getting into a show and then it being canceled like has happened with too many shows I enjoy.

I saw one of Omega Man/Last Man On Earth I can't remember which, it was a bit hard to watch since it's so old (anything in B/W is hard for me to watch, and the older it is the harder it is) but I did enjoy it. I watched it because I was really disappointed in I Am Legend when I heard how the story REALLY goes, and how they put a "upbeat ending" on the movie instead of the ending it is supposed to have.

Mainly I just listed the movies I have since I have a hard time remembering all the other ones I have seen.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #89 on: February 25, 2009, 02:10:42 PM »
The Omega man is the one with Heston.  Vincent price is Neville in the last man on earth.  Which is the B&W one.

The Omega man is by far the best in my opinion.