Author Topic: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV  (Read 92568 times)

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
Re: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV
« Reply #90 on: February 25, 2009, 02:12:50 PM »
I am pretty sure both 28 movies were zombie flicks.  They could also be called pandemic movies too though.  Either way, they definitely had a ton of zombies in them.

Offline theaccidentalsurvivor

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #91 on: February 25, 2009, 02:16:05 PM »
I am pretty sure both 28 movies were zombie flicks.  They could also be called pandemic movies too though.  Either way, they definitely had a ton of zombies in them.

I hate to be a pest, but zombies are generally defined as a human that has returned from the dead..... The humans in the 28 movies are infected beings that exhibit extreme cases of psychotic behavior..... A drop of blood into the father's eye turned him into an infected person without him keeling over and dying first...... Infected people, NOT zombies

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #92 on: February 25, 2009, 02:30:39 PM »
You can find the 70's Survivors series on YouTube here http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DFORCE1969&view=videos&query=Survivors

I am pretty sure the infected in the 28 movies were infected with the rage virus not reanimated dead, thus not really zombies.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #93 on: February 25, 2009, 02:35:21 PM »

I hate to be a pest, but zombies are generally defined as a human that has returned from the dead..... The humans in the 28 movies are infected beings that exhibit extreme cases of psychotic behavior..... A drop of blood into the father's eye turned him into an infected person without him keeling over and dying first...... Infected people, NOT zombies

touche.  You are right.  I guess I never really thought it through that way.

Storm

« Reply #94 on: February 25, 2009, 02:36:15 PM »
Right. I and many others have had this debate hundreds of times. The 28s are not zombie movies, if you need to, please refer to them as infected or something along the lines. They were marketed as zombie movies for support.

Russo did indeed.

I like both Survivors series, the new one, to me, is a nice change and update. Lots of support for survivalism in Britain because of them.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #95 on: February 26, 2009, 08:56:37 AM »
Right. I and many others have had this debate hundreds of times. The 28s are not zombie movies, if you need to, please refer to them as infected or something along the lines. They were marketed as zombie movies for support.

Russo did indeed.

I like both Survivors series, the new one, to me, is a nice change and update. Lots of support for survivalism in Britain because of them.

I would love to find info about British survival retreats.... It would be interesting to see how they are set theirs up compared to how Americans generally view their retreats.

Offline ColdSoul

• Prepper
« Reply #96 on: February 26, 2009, 09:01:41 AM »
I see your point, it seems the definition of zombie is re-animated human corpse, so your right. But calling them "Infected" just doesn't seem right to me, I wish there was another word that seemed to fit right.

tash

« Reply #97 on: February 26, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
Well it didn't help that Boyle and Garland (Directory, writer) kept referring to the 28 series as '...a post apocalyptic, horror and zombie film' (from wikipedia)

I myself as a zombie purist, much to my wife's dismay, but I also love horrible b-rate flicks. Needless to say she's seen her share of the good and the bad.

Storm

« Reply #98 on: February 26, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »
As of now, I'm unaware of a sub-genre concerning 'infecteds', though I've tried countless times to start one.

And as before, they were indeed marketed as such for support, much to the dismay of zombie buffs. However, I liked them. Yes, even the second one.

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #99 on: February 26, 2009, 01:06:27 PM »
As of now, I'm unaware of a sub-genre concerning 'infecteds', though I've tried countless times to start one.

And as before, they were indeed marketed as such for support, much to the dismay of zombie buffs. However, I liked them. Yes, even the second one.

Oh I definitely liked the movies, they just werent Zombies..... The scary part is what they were seems WAY more plausible than zombies..... Wait, does that mean I thnk zed-heads are a possibility.......

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #100 on: February 27, 2009, 12:08:19 AM »
Stephen King's The Stand had some post pandemic scenes in it what with the body disposal crew, people trying to get the power back on and turn off all the appliances that were left on when everybody else died.

Offline johnnyb_good30

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #101 on: March 03, 2009, 06:35:07 AM »
ok ok i got the one for ya.the resident evil movies. thay have it all !! Now if i can find a woman like her dang.hot can shoot any thing rides all around bad ass come on u have to show some love. oh this one  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2009, 08:59:11 AM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #103 on: March 06, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »
Has anyone seen the movie or read the book "My side of the Mountain".

I loved it as a kid.  It's about a young teen who lives in NYC and heads out to the woods for a year or so to see if he can survive.

Great to show kids if you got any.

And for the kids, let's not forget the 70's cheesy but sweet Wilderness Family (1 & 2).  My kids really like them.

Michael Masse

« Reply #104 on: March 06, 2009, 10:05:39 AM »
Well I liked the cheesy Mountain Family movies.  I pretty much enjoyed anything that had to do with wilderness or deserted island themes.

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #105 on: March 09, 2009, 03:49:56 PM »

HumeMan

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2009, 04:10:57 PM »
I just finished watching Alone in the Wilderness on PBS.  It's was an awesome documentary.  It's about a man who lived alone, off the land in Alaska for 35 years.

Michael Masse

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2009, 04:26:11 PM »
Yeah I loved the Alone in the Wilderness is incredible.  It has been on dozens of times on PBS and I stop to watch it almost every time.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #108 on: March 17, 2009, 12:18:10 AM »
For those who mentioned Jericho, the CBS site has no real order, and is missing a few episodes.  I rewatch it on joost occasionally.  All Episodes, in order, on one big playlist.  Beats the CBS site anyway.

http://www.joost.com/09400vp/t/CBS-Jericho?gclid=CKHC0-inqZkCFRLoxgod3HT90g

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #109 on: March 17, 2009, 07:55:47 AM »
BTW--- Just read that a Jericho movie is in the works....... info is on the Jericho wikipedia page.

Newb Survivalist

« Reply #110 on: March 19, 2009, 01:22:02 AM »
kinda cheesy older movie called "a boy and his dog" (1975)

if you can get over the fact that the boy talks to his dog, then its worth watching
it gets a bit creepy but the ending is WELL worth it.

"Vic (a young Don Johnson) roams a postapocalyptic wasteland accompanied by his telepathic, ever-grumbling dog, eventually winding up in the clutches of a female-dominated underground society that wants his sperm. This low-budget cult film remains darkly humorous and unflinchingly brutal as its characters face difficult choices -- and the end of the world as they know it."

-newb

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #111 on: March 19, 2009, 01:55:31 AM »
On the surface at least, his choices don't sound so difficult to me.

Newb Survivalist

« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2009, 02:18:02 AM »
there is more to it for sure

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #113 on: March 19, 2009, 07:46:50 AM »
Its actually a pretty strange movie..... Mad Maxish in the sense that the people are all weird..... Strange clothes and all that..... But overall if you like B Movies, then this is at least entertaining enough to say "hey i saw it".

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »
Almost forgot about this scene from Demolition Man, great scene with Denis Leary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JizGkM6gbvQ

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2009, 04:58:09 PM »
EDIT: Realized I didn't really answer the "What got you started" thing and it would probably be OT Nelson's "The Girl Who Owned a City". I got this book when I was about 10 from Scholastic and still have it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Girl_Who_Owned_a_City
I love that book!
I think that is what got me started too!  Even now I drive past a high school and think about how easy it would be to turn it into a city! No windows, and large brick walls.  A prison, really! LOL!  There was a Star Trek episode with the same kind of theme, too - where all the adults died.  Original Star Trek, not the remakes from the 90's
I am a book person, not so much a movie person, so I would have to add the "Z for Zachariah" book as well.

And as for movies, Red Dawn.  LOVE that movie.
Like the cheesy 80's flick The Day After - no one has mentioned that one yet!  Some cable channel had it running over and over the night before my sister's wedding.  I thought it was a funny coincidence as we watched it over and over while making last minute wedding preps.

HumeMan

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2009, 05:39:15 PM »
No windows, and large brick walls.  A prison, really! LOL!

Hahaha, I went to highschool in Maine.  The town didn't want to spend the extra money having an architect design their new school, so they bought plans for a prison and just made the cells bigger.   ::)

I love watching "The Day After", but it freaks my wife out so much that I never get to see it.

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2009, 07:18:47 PM »
I just watched a move called RIGHT AT YOUR DOOR. It's not a great movie and not much about prepping, but it is the story of a dirty bomb and a boilogical agent being released in LA.  It is something to think about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458367/

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2009, 11:40:11 PM »
I just watched a move called RIGHT AT YOUR DOOR. It's not a great movie and not much about prepping, but it is the story of a dirty bomb and a boilogical agent being released in LA.  It is something to think about.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0458367/

It was pretty good. I kinda liked it.

Storm

« Reply #119 on: March 22, 2009, 01:23:44 AM »
Prisons and schools are built a lot alike everywhere. A good thing to remember in this case is that most places built to keep people in can be used just as well to keep people out. There are two schools and a prison in my resource building dossier.