Author Topic: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV  (Read 82210 times)

Offline Cave Dweller

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV
« Reply #180 on: July 02, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
+1 to (in no particular order)
lord of the flies
red dawn
defiance
jericho
(ya think they'll ever make a movie of lights out?)

I can't believe nobody mentioned "shaun of the dead!"

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2009, 01:19:52 PM »
(Probably already posted by someone else) Defiance was a great movie.  It was like Red Dawn, but based on a true story, and a lot more realistic.  I always wondered though why they never showed anyone trying to produce their own food.  They stole and foraged, but i didn't see any crops or animals. 

Did I miss something?

I rented this one the other day, it's an excellent movie.

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2009, 01:37:38 PM »
On July 21 09 discovery has a new show, looks interesting
http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/colony/colony.html

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #183 on: July 06, 2009, 01:57:52 PM »
Cool.

Hopefully it is well done and addresses the long-term needs of the group but I question the decision to limit it to a factory setting. I don’t think I have ever heard anyone say they are going to bug out to the nearest industrial park when the SHTF. I’ll have to watch it and see where it goes.

Offline Tactical Badger

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Preparedness Junky
« Reply #184 on: July 06, 2009, 02:43:15 PM »
I'm looking forward to the start of "Colony" as well.

I think they picked the "industrial" setting to give the "survivors" as much as they could to work with.  And, to make it easier for them to film.  All of the people are contained in one little area.  If they had done it out in the woods somewhere, it would have been a lot more difficult to film the whole thing I think.

Hopefully it doesn't get too caught up in the personality clashes that are bound to happen.  They're already making mention of the fact that Mike(I think it is) is going to piss everyone off.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #185 on: July 06, 2009, 02:52:42 PM »
Ok, I know this isnt in the tin foil hat brigade, but it bothers me that Homeland Security and psychologist got together to help design this show.  just smells like a psy-op. although, it could just be my hat.

Offline firefly

• Survivor
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #186 on: July 06, 2009, 04:57:58 PM »
Colony does look pretty interesting, I'm worried that it'll fall into the normal trappings of a reality show.  At least their challenges will involve practical devices that we could learn from.  Those people look like the kind of people that I'd want to be around in that kind of world. 

Offline firefly

• Survivor
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #187 on: July 06, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »
What did you all think of the new Battlestar Galactica series and Deadwood on HBO.  Both are fairly similar in dealing with the creation of a community in order to survive.  BSG is certainly post-apocalyptic, while Deadwood is pre-civilization.  Both involve relevant scenarios for us. 

Offline Freshman Preppy

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2009, 07:33:39 PM »
Roswell,
I wouldn't worry about the homeland security guy being on the show.  They probably just hired him to help consult and the SHOW is throwing out the fact that he either works or has worked for DHS so it sounds all official like. 

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #189 on: July 11, 2011, 06:08:18 PM »
I just got done with triple feature of The Last Man on Earth, The Omega Man and I am Legend.  Each of these has their pro's and con's but in the end I am Legend is my favorite. 

Offline NickyTheHeel

• Senior Survivalist
    • Fr33agents (libertarian website)
« Reply #190 on: July 11, 2011, 08:48:29 PM »
I honestly hated (I mean really despised) I Am Legend.  I read the story as a kid and loved it and that probably biased me quite a lot.  Not sure I could watch it with an open mond. 

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #191 on: July 12, 2011, 09:15:56 AM »
Anyone watched Falling Skies?

It's been a few episodes, largely focused on getting one of the characters sons away from the influence of the alien invaders while simultaneously fighting the aliens, other survivors and trying to get supplies for the large group of people the main characters support. I kind of like the series so far but with so many people in a group I'd think they would emphasize food, water and sanitation a little more than they have.

Offline Oniwaban

• Prepper
  • Old enough to know better, young enough to do it.
« Reply #193 on: August 05, 2011, 06:57:50 PM »
there is a british miniseries available on netfilx that was thoroughly engrossing to me called "The Survivors" as well as "Jericho" good for many many hours of entertainment, also check out "Survival School" on hulu.

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days

Offline scott

• Prepper
« Reply #195 on: August 05, 2011, 09:57:36 PM »
Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread but i just watched a movie on Netflix streaming called "Carriers".  Theme is a viral infection SHTF.  It's no oscar winner but it's worth a watch.  It makes sure to reinforce the tough choices you might be faced with during a survival viral outbreak situation.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2011, 03:24:07 PM »
Sorry if it's been mentioned in this thread but i just watched a movie on Netflix streaming called "Carriers".  Theme is a viral infection SHTF.  It's no oscar winner but it's worth a watch.  It makes sure to reinforce the tough choices you might be faced with during a survival viral outbreak situation.

I second the recommendation on Carriers, it's a better movie than you'd think and does make you think about family and tough choices in an outbreak.

Offline Debra

• Prepper
  • Sustainable living in the high desert
    • The Independent Spirit
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2011, 04:11:50 PM »
I'd have to say I was more influenced by books than movies. The top ones:

My Side of the Mountain
Island of the Blue Dolphins
Boxcar Children
Chronicles of Narnia

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2011, 04:31:10 PM »
There is a documentary on TLC tonight: "Livin' for the Apocolypse" @ 9:00 Eastern. (One hour)

Sorry. CORRECTION: that's 10:00 Eastern. 9:00 Central..............................^^^^^^ 

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #199 on: August 28, 2011, 09:39:48 PM »
I watched the Livin' for the Apocolypse tonight.  The McClungs were on it, and Survival Doc.  Peggy Layton and her husband were on there, too. Last couple was kinda funky, but trying to prepare.

Offline YoungPrepper

• Prepper
« Reply #200 on: August 29, 2011, 01:21:17 AM »
I'm more of a book person myself, but as far as getting me started it would definitely be a combination of boxcar children and the movie outbreak. My sister and I would stay up for hours discussing what we could do to survive in both scenarios.

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #201 on: August 29, 2011, 07:21:18 AM »
I watched the Livin' for the Apocolypse tonight.  The McClungs were on it, and Survival Doc.  Peggy Layton and her husband were on there, too. Last couple was kinda funky, but trying to prepare.
With the power of technology I just dvr'ed it.  It's on again Friday night it appears, so I've plugged it to record.

Thanks for the info.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #202 on: September 22, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
History channel has After Armageddon. Very good show. Lots of very realistic senerios.

Watch it on several You Tube segments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8r97xoSOEjM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8tHx5loswQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTjDDk-vN84&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJfUbYqes0&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TPWr4hmdBQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SM9y0NUMKw&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3x9XidaAFs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8P3OH4ryJDk&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cVMVfriamo&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEgtCx0R5kQ&feature=related

I think thats all of them.  :)

I'm watching this on the History Channel RIGHT NOW!

I accidentally stumbled upon it this morning while channel surfing, then I did a search here at TSP to see if anyone else already posted its existence.

VERY COOL!

(The only thing I don't like is that the kid in the dramatization is a complete moron. He annoys me with his "duh..." lack awareness of the seriousness of what's going. Even after 4 months, the kid is still so frigging clueless that their lives are in danger. He's a very poorly crafted plot device, and as a writer I have zero respect for such pathetically non-credible characters.)

It's worth pointing out that at about the 30-minute point, one of the experts who is doing a running commentary (he seems to be a security expert) mentions the need of what he calls a "bug-out bag." He also calls it by an alternate name that I've heard elsewhere -- a "GOOD Bag" which stands for "get out of Dodge."  But his first preference is to call it a bug-out bag.

::ETA::

The guy is billed in this History Channels special as "Kevin Reeve, Tracking Expert and Defense Consultant." And he is a member of an outfit called on-Point Tactical 

http://www.onpointtactical.com/

(Maybe a cool future guest for the podcast?)

Here's his partial bio:

Owner and Lead Instructor

Kevin Reeve

Kevin Reeve is the founder and Director of onPoint Tactical LLC. Kevin has provided training to law enforcement, SAR teams, and the US military in the arts of tracking, survival, escape and evasion and urban operations for over 12 years. He has worked with many Special Ops units, training individuals and teams, as well as a host of local and federal law enforcement officers and SAR teams.

Prior to founding onPoint Tactical LLC, Kevin worked for one of the top tracking schools in America. Kevin spent 8 years as a Director at this program, and was responsible for the instructor staff there.

Prior to this, Kevin worked in Silicon Valley for 15 years, including a five year stint at Apple Computer doing organizational development and executive coaching, as well as platform training and curriculum development.

Complete Bio
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 09:20:09 AM by Oil Lady »

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
Re: SURVIVAL in the MOVIES or TV- The Day After (1983)
« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2014, 09:48:23 PM »
I'm not sure if this is listed- I searched through Most of this thread looking...

The Day After (1983) American Nuclear Holocaust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2B7sdLPMfc

I'm glad I stumbled onto this movie as I was a soldier, in Europe for 5+ years, during the cold war.
The realities of this movie exhibit how tenuous things were & how close we were to tshtf.
In retrospect I guess I missed it in 1983 because I was in boot camp ;)
Glad I saw it now especially dated to the era as it is. Little things like lines for pay phones jump out at you

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2014, 10:27:09 PM »
Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.  ;)

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2014, 10:43:21 PM »
Thanks for the link. I appreciate it.  ;)

You're welcome. I read where President Reagan was shown a private screening of this movie & was "deeply saddened" by it to the point that he toned down his "Evil Empire" rhetoric.... Not the NY Yankees but the Cold War Evil Empire ;)
Yes, I'm a Red Sox fan :D

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #206 on: June 30, 2014, 05:22:37 PM »
LOL!  ;D

nkawtg

« Reply #207 on: September 14, 2014, 11:53:40 PM »
All Is Lost (2013) - Robert Redford - IMDB - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2017038/
Available on Netflix and Amazon Prime.

This movie is quite different in that there is essentially no dialog. During the entire movie Redford spoke only a couple of times.

What struck me was how utterly unprepared he was as a sailor on a solo mid ocean voyage.
He had all the tools needed for survival yet he was unfamiliar with their use.

Though this movie has a nautical theme, the lesson one gets from this movie is to know your equipment and how to use it.

Offline Exile72

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #208 on: March 04, 2017, 04:29:35 PM »
Jericho was great !!!! And as always. Red Dawn. 

Offline John Doe

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2018, 12:46:39 PM »
I hate to be a pest, but zombies are generally defined as a human that has returned from the dead..... The humans in the 28 movies are infected beings that exhibit extreme cases of psychotic behavior..... A drop of blood into the father's eye turned him into an infected person without him keeling over and dying first...... Infected people, NOT zombies

touche.  You are right.  I guess I never really thought it through that way.

..me neither.
Much bigger fish to fry