Author Topic: Half an idea for a can rack....help....  (Read 10147 times)

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
Half an idea for a can rack....help....
« on: January 26, 2009, 09:59:27 AM »
I am wanting to make a unique can rack. I was thinking that you could use PVC pipe and load the rack from the top....put a cap on the bottom and cut away a portion of the pipe at the front so you could reach in and grab the cans. You could drill holes in it so you could see how many cans you had left.....

No number ten storage with this as the pipe would be HUGE. But this is something that someone with very limited ability with tools could make......and it would be fairly inexpensive.

It would need to be secured to the wall somehow and that's what I'm struggling with. Other thoughts?

tash

Re: Half an idea for a can rack....help....
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 10:09:24 AM »
If you are going to drill hole to be able to see how many cans you have... use those holes to screw the back of the pvc into a wood frame. You could easily build a 2x2 frame and attach it to the wall and screw the pvc to the frame.

It would be easy to to cut a small 3 inch high U shaped section on the bottom facing toward the front and place the pvc on a 2 inch runner at the bottom. It would be an easy way to remove the can.

Great idea. +1 for ingenuity.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 12:12:23 PM »
Great idea. I way "borrow" that. I do suggust you look at septic drain pipe, it has holes already every so many inches and it is (I think) a lighter pipe. If you dont want to screw trru the back of the pipe, look at the plastic pipe hanger, you cut to legenth and it is pre punched for screws. As I type this I was thinking that you could cut it to about 6 cans in length and then place at a 45* angle and then you could stack them together.  Sorry for the crude MS paint it was quick.

Offline Lawyerman

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 01:25:24 PM »
Not married to anything. I just thought it would be an easy way to make some storage. The problem I see is that you only get one row deep this way- unless we found a way to put one in front of the other kinda like your MS Paint design EJ.....

Offline craftsman

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 11:00:43 AM »
Just my $.02 (sorry they are negative):

The wieght of the cans may make it hard to remove the bottom most can and then remaining stack above may come down at a velocity that is unpleasant.

This could be mitigated but better IMO to construct a trough that the cans roll down.

Offline Mr. Blank

• Hookah Pimp Bitches!
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Have Hookah, Will Travel
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2009, 02:19:31 PM »
So, I'm thinking that you mount them vertically, then dremel a channel that runs nearly the length of the pipe. You bolt a 'handle' onto an empty can through the channel; this will allow it to run back and forth up and down the can. Shove it all the way to the back and load your cans. When you want to get a can out, slide the 'handle' forward and move your can out. You could easily see how many cans were left through the dremel channel. You could get all fancy and cap the end, maybe cut out a 'loading window' to put the cans in.
You could store 4 or 5 of these on a single wall if you mounted them on the studs.

Excuse the crude drawing. It's very tough to draw with a mouse. :P
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 02:29:26 PM by Trioxin »

Kara

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2009, 10:24:42 PM »
Trioxin...that's brilliant! +1!

Something else to consider...if you are mounting this on bare studs, that would leave room between the studs for can racks that can be loaded at the top and removed from the bottom, behind racks like you showed a plan for. That way you are getting a double bang for your wall space buck. Something my dad brought to my attention about the idea of building a can rack between wall studs is that a regular stud wouldn't be deep enough to cover the width of a can, especially your 29 ouncers, so they would have to be built up a little. But still, you could store cans both ways and hardly use up any extra space.

Kara

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2009, 10:27:23 PM »
+1's for all the of the rest of you too. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people can put their heads together out here to invent something useful!

Offline bwachob

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 07:23:15 PM »
You could screw a piece of plywood "any size" to the wall and then screw the pvc pipe to the plywood.  This would give an almost endless amount of possibilities to configure the pipe.  It might also make easier to change when someone comes up with a better design.  A lot of my neighbors around here have garages with bare plywood and not drywall, which makes hanging on the wall much easier.

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 08:02:44 PM »
I saw some neat things that may be easier/cheaper. 

1.  Tilted shelves.  - I got this from a book on canning/food storage in which a lady had her husband build shelves that had a 5degree slant and you just loaded the shelves from the back, furring strips or cardboard could divide cans/varieties of food.
2.  Here is a cardboard can rack.......cheap/easy......... http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_eh7lqcfGOKw/SOJRwSDoU-I/AAAAAAAAABg/wwBeUCc99fI/s1600-h/pantry1.jpg and here are the instructions for it.  http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_eh7lqcfGOKw/SOJMVuQkM7I/AAAAAAAAABQ/DYWuZYLZDoU/s1600-h/Grandpa+can+storage+bin+plan.jpg

Offline bwachob

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »
Simpleguy, thanks.  That is very inspiring, that looks to be very close to the size and layout of my pantry.  Time to get to work.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 04:36:26 PM »
Here's a step by step on how to build a rack like Simpleguy posted.  There's also a PDF available with some details, but I'm having problems finding the link.

can rack

killymcgee

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 07:31:21 AM »
Here's a step by step on how to build a rack like Simpleguy posted.  There's also a PDF available with some details, but I'm having problems finding the link.

can rack

How many cans will this hold?

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 07:52:28 AM »
I haven't made the racks yet, but it will depend on the can that's used.  But based on the PDF that's on that page, it looks like it will hold 12 soup, vegetable or evaporated milk cans or 9 fruit cans.

Things have changed since I had received the template via e-mail.  The plans are now posted on that link I posted.  Just click on the shelf diagram link.

killymcgee

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 08:29:53 AM »
Gotta get some spare time to make this, but make it outta wood, not cardboard. And make it in a series of 5-10 in a row
no sense making just 1, or making them out of something that won't last.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2009, 09:54:36 AM »
Why not give the cardboard one a shot first.  See if there is a way to improve it.  Then tear it apart to use the cardboard as a template.

killymcgee

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
OK, i know its cheesy but I have time at work and extra business cards. Just to give myself an idea on what it'll take to do this.

What a series would look like assembled. Missing the front piece to keep the can from rolling out of course

Then these are the racks. The top one would go on the bottom , and the bottom one has a cut out for the can to drop to the next level

All the sides and dividers would be the same.

I ran outta business cards, just wanted to get a general idea on how hard this would be. I'm not great with wood working but this looks easy enough that I feel I can do it. Please don't bash on my lack of scissor skills, or my free time :)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2009, 10:47:24 AM »
Nice work, killymcgee.  I had a pretty slow day yesterday, but couldn't get away with building something like that at work. Thanks for sharing.