Author Topic: Glock 19, Ruger SR9c, and holsters  (Read 9941 times)

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
Glock 19, Ruger SR9c, and holsters
« on: January 21, 2011, 09:35:00 AM »
I've narrowed my choice for concealed carry down to a Glock 19 and Ruger SR9c (compact).  The gun will also be used for home defense (so will my shotgun...which ever I grab first, I guess).  Anyway, I have a few questions for those of you with more experience with handguns and carrying.

Thoughts on the Glock:
1.  I like the feel of the Glock 19 in my hand better.  Very "tight" but easy slide manipulation and comfortable grip. 
2.  The Glock runs about $100 more expensive than the SR9c, plus I don't like the factory sights at all, so I can expect to spend another $100 or so on night sights (TruGlo tritium, or similar).
3.  I like the reputation of Glocks performance (low maintenance, durable, reliable, and will eat almost any ammo).
4.  No manual safety - trigger safety only.  Gun can only fire if the trigger is pulled.  Carry would be locked and loaded and "hot."

Thoughts on Ruger SR9c:
1.  Feels good in my hand (comparable to Glock), but is slightly smaller (slimmer) than Glock 19.  Some sources will say Glock is slimmer, but the reason for this, as far as I can tell, is that the manual thumb safety on the SR9c adds width, but the actual slide and frame width is slimmer on the SR9c.  I believe the SR9c will be slightly easier to conceal.
2.  The slide on the SR9c is very "tight," almost to a fault.  Anybody else noticed that?  Does it get better after the gun is broken in?  The slide also has some "serrations" in it, and frankly, racking the slide is a bit cumbersome and uncomfortable compared to the Glock.  Itmay be something I wouldn't even notice after I have more experience and the gun is broken in, but I'm not sure.
3.  The SR9c runs about $100 cheaper than the Glock 19, and I find the factory sights to be acceptable.  So, I'd spend about $200 less than I would on a Glock.
4.  Chambered round indicator and manual thumb safety in addition to trigger safety.
5.  Being a newer model, there's the SR9c is just a bit less "proven" than the Glock 19.

Given my budget, this will be my only handgun purchase for the foreseeable future (3-5 years).  I'm fairly experienced with rifles and shotguns, but this is my first handgun.  Can those of you that have fired and/or carried either of these weapons give me your feedback and thoughts?  No matter which gun is purchased, I am going to obtain additional training and spend a good deal of time at the range.

Part 2 - I'd like some holster recommendations for each of these.

Thanks in advance.

--RH

Offline Capt Cook

• Survivor
Re: Glock 19, Ruger SR9c, and holsters
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 11:37:33 AM »
I checked out the SR9 and SR9c. The slide is a bit stiff at first but did loosen up on my SR9.
I chose the SR9 over the SR9c for the longer barrel and I dislike the gimmick sleeve for the full size magazine. I also wanted a manual safety so I didn't choose a Glock.
I do like my SR9 a lot. It's accurate and has a nice trigger.
As for holsters, it will fit a Glock 17 holster, without retention strap, so any open top holster.
Friends help you move. Real Friends help you move bodies!

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 11:51:10 AM »
I'm a Sig fanboy, but here's my 2p.

Glock

I don't like the grip angle and the grip itself feels bulky to me. Haven't tried a Gen 4.
I don't care for the "safe action system.
Glocks are ubiquitous; mags, accessories, aftermarket sights etc., and parts are easy to get and Glocks are easy to work on.
Reliablity!

Ruger

I much prefer the way it feels in my hand.
Reliability.
Though it doesn't have the track record of the Glock, Ruger is really good about finding and fixing problems. The downside is if you find the problem on the street before they find it in the factory.
I am no Ruger expert, but they have a reputation for being difficult to work on and find parts for.

Of the two I go with the Glock.

“The best way to execute French cooking is to get good and loaded and whack the hell out of a chicken. Bon appétit. ”
                     -Julia Child

On the Web at:  The Regular Guy Review

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:17:46 AM »
Sorry to bump my own thread - I'm hoping to hear from somebody that carries a Ruger SR9c (compact) for advice on a holster for concealed carry.  I've heard good things about the Comp Tac and Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB holsters for Glock-19...but I'm not sure if they'd fit an SR9c as well.  Does anyone have first hand experience holstering an SR9c?

Thanks much,

--RH

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 10:31:35 AM »
My only experience with the SR9c is when I handled it at the SHOT show.  But I can tell you that it sold me.  This year my weapon purchase will be that one.  I want something a bit slimmer and compact for carry.

As was stated above, the grip angle of the Glock just doesn't work for me.  (I handled my buddies XD last night and the opposite of the Glock happened... I was pointing the barrel at the ground, - degree grip angle)

I have been shooting a Sig 226 for 5 or six years, over 9,000-10,000 rounds through it.  It feels like an extention of my arm.  When I picked up the SR9c... I got the same feel when pointing and gripping it.

Right now, my IWB holster for the 226 is a comptac.  It came highly recommended to me.  I like the way it moves with me.  I have a somewhat narrow waist for my height, so the printing of the grip is another consideration for me.  I will be watching this thread as well to see how this works out.  I would definately purchase another comptac, would like to see how the SR9c treats others with this set up before I... pull the trigger :P
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Online The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2011, 11:30:31 AM »
Let me throw a monkey into the wrench:

First off, let me clearly indicate a couple of things which definitely affect why I say what I do: I carry a gun with me at all times.  In a former life, I put bad people into prison for a very long time. Most of them still don't like me.  I've carried a handgun as a cop, a soldier, a contractor and as a civilian.  I've had to use my handgun under very trying situations.  I have experience with the Glocks (17's, 19's, 22's, 23's, 26's and 27's), but I don't carry one, for reasons I explain below.  I have experience with Ruger's, but have never carried one of their automatics for duty or non-duty use.

To quote Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch: A handgun is supposed to be COMFORTING, not COMFORTABLE.  The very minor difference in size between a G19 and Ruger SR9c is something to which you can adapt.

Go for reliability.  Glocks have, literally , MILLIONS of rounds through them.  They're eminently durable and reliable.  Magazines are easy to find and, until Obama tries to pass the next gun legislation, rather inexpensive.  Aftermarket options are abound from night-sights to extended magazine/slide releases are easy to find.  

The Ruger?  Not so much so.

The grip angle?  Well, I'm one of those who don't like the Glock's 33-degree angle.  Why?  Because I'm used to the lesser 17-degree angle like you find in the Ruger and most other handguns. Is this a problem?  Not in the real world.  I'm just stubborn.  I've trained hundreds of people for their first time transitioning to a Glock from the other grip angles. Know what?  They adapt rather quickly.  It's all in the practice.  We're adaptable animals.  We learn.  Practice drawing and aiming the pistol each night (unloaded, of course, and at something safe), say 25 times, and before long you'll be pointing the gun where you want it to go.

Concealment: A good holster is always important, as is placement of said holster.  Again, it may not seem convenient to pull the holster back a bit so that the handle curves into your side rather than sticks out. . .but learn to deal with it.  Put it in the same place every time when you practice and carry and you'll learn.  Eventually, it'll become second nature.  Additionally, assuming you have a concealed carry license, don't worry too much about printing unless it's stupidly obvious.  Most people are oblivious to others around them.  Just learn not to "press check" (i.e., keep touching the pistol) to make sure it's in place (it always is), and you won't draw attention to yourself.

For those griping about the "lack of safety" issue. . .first off, your real safety should be between your ears.  Second, it's exactly like a revolver.  A revolver doesn't have a separate mechanical safety.  As you practice your drawing and aiming, practice extending your trigger finger alongside the frame above the trigger.  Do this regardless of which handgun you choose.

The G19 has a lot more going for it than the Ruger.  It's small, higher capacity, easier to get parts for, extremely reliable, easily configurable to your preferences with aftermarket products, accurate and easy to use.  Personally, the only arguable issue is price, but I'm willing to spend $100 more for a gun that I know will work and that I have confidence in.  

Just my opinions, worth exactly what you paid for them.

The Professor

<edited for a spelling error>
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline robrit13

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:29:49 AM »
Thanks Professor.  Excellent post.  I have been toying around with the same idea about a more compact handgun.  I already own an SR9, and like it.  It is just too big for concealed carry.  My law enforcement friends have Glocks, and love them.  I appreciate your insight on the aftermarket differences between the Glock and the Ruger.  It was very helpful
"Tommorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday" - John Wayne

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts, everyone.  I ended up going with the SR9c.  I got a deal too good to pass up on a very little used one from a local gun shop.  $325 with one 10 round mag and one 17-round mag.  Looks like it had about 10 rounds fired by the previous owner, who bought in on impulse and discovered it was too small for his hand.  I've only put 20 rounds of Rem UMC through it.  No hiccups, and I'm amazed with its accuracy.  After firing 3 rounds, I was hooked.  It's like eating potato chips...hard to stop.

If any other SR9c owners want to compare notes, let me know.  Still looking for good holster recommendations specifically for this model.

--RH

Offline Remman

• Survivor
  • Forty Deuce
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
Glock 19 all the way.  If I could only own one handgun it would be a Glock 19.  Its small enough to conceal and large enough to fight with.  15 plus one in the pipe and the ability to run G17 mags or even arredondo extensions give you LOTS of firepower.  Its light and carry's quite well. It is also a proven design.  Lastly OEM and aftermarket parts and mags are plentiful and cheap.  The Ruger just doesn't stand up to the G19 on a side by side comparison.

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:55:46 PM »
I went with the Ruger SR9c, and so far, I love it.  I've put a variety of cheap ammo types through it (probably about 200 rounds), and it has performed absolutely flawlessly so far.  These 200 rounds include other shooters, too, and there have been zero failure to fires, jams, or any problems.  The gun is way more accurate than I am.  Last trip to the range my friend was shooting his Beretta 92FS, and he shot more accurately with my Ruger and had several malfunctions with his Beretta.  He's ex-marine, and was really impressed, especially when he found out I paid $325 for a very lightly used one.  He had no malfunctions when using the SR9c, was very accurate with it, and loved the trigger.

The only negatives that I can come up with are that accessories are less widely available than for a Glock, and that the gun is a little top-heavy when handling it.  However, when you hold it in a shooting position, it feels great.  The slide is also very "tight," but that has gotten a little better (and/or I've got used to it) as I've shot and handled it more. 

Pros are that it's compact, yet easy and fun to shoot.  Performs surprisingly well - I was a little nervous.  Field stripping is easy.  Factory sights (3 big white dots) are quite servicable.  Cost is very reasonable.  Considering I would have certainly paid at least another $150 for the Glock 19, and then been compelled to put better sights on it (another $100), I'm quite happy with my purchase.  Perhaps I'll step up eventually, but I'm very pleased with the SR9c so far. 

Offline TheMidwesterner

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 09:06:10 PM »
RH,

Have you picked up a holster for your SR9c?

I have also, recently, become the owner of one of these pistols and am interested in concealed carry with it.

It is my first handgun and I really like it.  I find it to be very smooth shooting with minimal muzzle rise as compared to other non-ported 9s that I have operated.

I've only had it for a week, so I've only had the opportunity to run 2 boxes through it - so far, no issues.  My only complaint out-of-the-box was that the rear sight had me shooting to the right.  Fortunately, it's adjustable for both windage and elevation.

Has anyone had any experience with the Concealment Solutions Black Mamba?
http://concealmentsolutions.com/blackmamba2.html

Offline stayfrosty

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 10:25:01 PM »
I'm a Sig fanboy, but here's my 2p.

Glock

I don't like the grip angle and the grip itself feels bulky to me. Haven't tried a Gen 4.
I don't care for the "safe action system.
Glocks are ubiquitous; mags, accessories, aftermarket sights etc., and parts are easy to get and Glocks are easy to work on.
Reliablity!

Ruger

I much prefer the way it feels in my hand.
Reliability.
Though it doesn't have the track record of the Glock, Ruger is really good about finding and fixing problems. The downside is if you find the problem on the street before they find it in the factory.
I am no Ruger expert, but they have a reputation for being difficult to work on and find parts for.

Of the two I go with the Glock.

Not sure what you mean by that statement... but Ruger was making pistols LONG before Glock.

Rugers are more cost efficient, made in the USA, and equally reliable. Nuff' said. 

frosty

Offline dracphelan

• Survivor
    • Gun Totin' Hippies
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 10:52:21 PM »
Not sure what you mean by that statement... but Ruger was making pistols LONG before Glock.

Rugers are more cost efficient, made in the USA, and equally reliable. Nuff' said. 

frosty

I think he was specifically referring to the SR9C (which is fairly new). Also, most Glocks sold in the USA are made in Smyrna. GA. Me, I personally prefer the S&W M&P to either of these 2 pistols. But, every person has their likes and dislikes.
MSB Member
Proprietor of http://www.guntotinhippies.com

Online The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 11:31:28 PM »

frosty

Cooter doesn't need anyone to fight his fight for him, but I still feel the need to interject:

Uh. . .No.  

Ruger got their start making semi-auto RIMFIRE pistols in 1949.  They didn't make a CENTERFIRE Autopistol until 1985.

GLOCK, however, turned out it's first centerfire autopistol in 1982, preceding Ruger by 3 years.

And to compare the reliability of a GLOCK to a Ruger centerfire autopistol is laughable.  Federal Cartridge Company has a GLOCK that has recorded more than a MILLION rounds through it and they still use it with little more than replacement parts involving magazines and the magazine release mechanism (the REAL reason behind that whole debacle with metal-lined mags and the new plastic-sheathed magazines).  Can you show me a Ruger with anything approaching a comparable number?

Simply because an item is made in the United States does not indicate a guarantee of reliability.  Oh, BTW, IIRC, the G19 is made here, in the US in the State of Georgia.

Take a look at how many federal agencies (who can spend as much of your money as they want) and see how many issue Ruger pistols.  Take a look at state and local agencies, how many issue a Ruger pistol?  

Take a look at the number of autopistols sold to civilians, how many Rugers are sold?  For the competitors, well. . .I have never seen a Ruger Semi-Auto in the top slots of ANY of the divisions in IPSC, USPSA or IDPA on a national level.  These are shooters who love their sports and will spend any amount of money on any type of firearm if it means they'll win.  

Take a look at the militaries in the world, how many (and who) issue Ruger Autopistols?

Moreover, let's even be more specific.  In this case, Cooter was referring to the SR9C as compared to the GLOCK 19.  The GLOCK 19 was introduced in 1988. . .almost 22 years before the SR9C was introduced in January of 2010.  So, that pistol (the SR9C) does NOT have the track record of the GLOCK 19.

Now, for the record, I honestly don't like either pistol. I dislike the grip angle on the GLOCK and I don't like the lack of accessories or the feel of the SR9C (or it's lack of a track record).  I prefer a (more than) full-sized HK (who has been making autopistols longer than both GLOCK and Ruger) pistol for various reasons.  In fact, I own neither a GLOCK nor a Ruger centerfire autopistol, so I don't have a dog in this fight.  I just wanted to get some facts straight.

The Professor

On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

Yeah, that's right. . ."Professor EMERITUS!"  Now, pardon me while I show up "late" for. . .uh. . .work.

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 08:03:12 PM »
RH,

I have also, recently, become the owner of one of these pistols and am interested in concealed carry with it.

It is my first handgun and I really like it.  I find it to be very smooth shooting with minimal muzzle rise as compared to other non-ported 9s that I have operated.

I've only had it for a week, so I've only had the opportunity to run 2 boxes through it - so far, no issues.  My only complaint out-of-the-box was that the rear sight had me shooting to the right.  Fortunately, it's adjustable for both windage and elevation.

Midwesterner,

For now, I'm using an Uncle Mike's IWB holster purchased from Cheaper than Dirt.  It's not a long-term solution, but for the money, it's not too bad.  Very comfortable, and the clip seems to hold the thing in place well so that when I draw I get gun-only (and not the holster - that would be bad).  It also keeps my gun in place well.  I've driven on fairly long trips with it and I've done a days worth of yard work while wearing it.  Yes, you know it's there, but it isn't a real discomfort.  I will upgrade eventually, but I just wanted to see what IWB felt like without spending $75 bucks and then figuring out I don't like it.  One drawback to the Uncle Mike's holster though - it is nylon with a suede-like external finish.  Because of this, it's nearly impossible to re-holster efficiently.  You have to use both hands or even take the holster out.  But this doesn't bother me.  If I ever need to draw in a carry situation, re-holstering quickly might be a bad idea anyway (for several reasons). 

Here's the link to the holster at CTD:  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=44151

In case you're wondering, I heard about this holster from Michael Bane on the Down Range Radio podcast:  http://www.downrange.tv/podcast.htm

Congrats on the SR9c purchase.  As I've stated earlier in this thread - I love mine.  Several hundred rounds of various kinds of cheap ammo and not one failure to fire, yet.  However, as others have noted, accessories are a bit hard to come by.  I found an extra 10 round magazine at online at Midway - it's on back order but is supposed to ship on April 10th.  Cheaper than Dirt has been all out for 6 weeks or more. 

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 08:26:10 AM »
Probably can't go wrong with either one.   Its not a life long commitment, if you don't care for the one you choose, the value will hold.   I like the G19, but I've never had the other, soooo....

Offline mwcoleburn

• Prepper
  • Gun Pusher
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
For either firearm the best holster I have found for the money is Adams. You have a bit of a wait as they are all made to order but the quality, durability and comfort or second to none. Also Luke is a great guy in general and to work with.

http://www.adamsholsters.com/
Matthew Coleburn
Coleburn Armory

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 04:30:25 PM »
Reposting this even though RationalHusker already rewrote what was lost -- because it's the OCD thing to do! ;)

RECOVERED POST LOST DURING MOVE TO NEW SERVER
RationalHusker
April 3, 2011, 06:19:17 AM PDT

Quote from: TheMidwesterner on April 02, 2011, 07:06:10 PM
RH,

@TheMidwesterner,

For now, I've got a fairly cheap holster from Uncle Mike's, purchased @ cheaperthandirt.  It's an IWB holster with a "suede-like" nylon finish.  It's not what I want to use long term, but I wanted to see what IWB felt like before spending $75 plus dollars on a better one.  I have no complaints about this holster, but again, I'm just getting used to the feel.  It satisfies my main concerns quite well: (1)  it keeps the gun in place, (2) it's comfortable, and (3) when I draw I get the gun and not the holster.  I've driven with it on and done a days worth of yard work, and it was pretty comfortable and the gun didn't move around on me.  It does have drawbacks, though - the main one being that because it's a "soft" holster, re-holstering is difficult.  I'm not too concerned about that, though, because I don't see a place/need for fast re-holstering.

Here's the link to the holster.  I heard about this model on the Down Range Radio podcast by Michael Bane.  http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemDetail.aspx?sku=44151

To add one more note to the original topic of the thread, I am finding that the gun has one drawback as compared to the Glock19 - as others have noted, it is tougher finding accessories.  Even the 10 round magazine is on back order through most vendors.

Best wishes.  PM me sometime if you want to compare notes on the SR9c or anything related to it.  I do love the gun.  I've got several hundred rounds of various cheap ammo through it, and not had one failure to fire or jam.
--RH

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »

Offline Voug4624

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 03:03:26 PM »
I realize this is way too late to help you guys that were asking about holsters for your sr9's, but if it can be of any help to anyone who recently purchased one, then great. 

I bought an sr9c months ago for everyday carry, and knowing i needed a reliable holster, i was preparred to spend a decent amount of money for one.  The 2 that caught my attention were the crossbreed Supertuck and the smartcarry. 

I love the smartcarry for jogging, and yes, it actually works, and without bouncing back and forth hitting your privates either.  For normal EDC, regardless of how high or low i positioned it, it was kind of uncomfortable to sit.  And drawing while seated in a car is almost impossible, which is why i usually unholstered and shoved it between the seats. Also, when worn properly with the sr9c, you DO notice a slight bulge from the grip, but when viewed from the front, it is only slightly noticable when specifically looking for it.  The other reason i no longer use it for EDC is because i generally like my belt a little tighter around my waist and that makes drawing a little difficult and uncomfortable.  Overall, i personally would only suggest it for jogging or times when you're standing most of the time.

As far as the crossbreed supertuck goes, i absolutely love it!  I went with the deluxe version because the sr9c is a little heavier than i would trust to the quickclip.  I carry all day, every day and it's really comfortable at the 4-5 o'clock position.  The only "issues" i have with it is that the spikes on the screw posts (that digs into the leather) are too easy to bend over when trying to tighten the screws. The other thing is that, after several months now, i have begun to notice a tiny hole in the back of my jeans where the rear screw touchs when my back is pressed up against a hard chair back.

Ofher than those two small "problems", i couldn't be happier with the crossbreed supertuck deluxe.

Hope this helps,

Stephen

Offline RationalHusker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 03:44:03 PM »
I love the smartcarry for jogging, and yes, it actually works, and without bouncing back and forth hitting your privates either. 

I laughed out loud upon reading this, so I'm glad you posted, even if it was late.  And I have not purchased an outside the belt holster for my SR9c, yet, so I'll consider the SuperTuck Deluxe.

Thanks, and happy jogging  ;)

--RH

Offline Rickard

• Prepper
  • www.DeliberateDefense.com
    • Deliberate Defense Firearms Instruction
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2012, 03:17:54 PM »
I will throw in another vote for the Crossbreed Supertuck. I have one for each pistol that I carry and I use the Supertuck for defensive pistol matches. It is a very comfortable, durable holster and Crossbreed is a great company to business with.

I have a small firearms training business and this is the holster that most of our students and all of our instructors have chosen.

Regards,

Rick
I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves. - Harriet Tubman

NRA Life Member
2nd Amendment Foundation Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor

Offline markl32

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2012, 10:58:13 AM »

+1 for the Glock. 

I have no experience with the Ruger though. 

The only thing I have to add is do some research and watch some video of violent handgun encounters.  The speed in which they happen may change your opinion on manual safeties. 

Offline DDJ

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2013, 09:34:43 PM »
My father went to the glock and I went SR9c.   I discounted the Glock for 2 reasons 1) even though they have a "Factory" in Georgia they are all still stamped "made in Austria" 2) Neither my wife or I liked the feel of the Glock.   We have had no issues with the SR9c.  We have about 2000 rounds through it.  Actually we liked it so much that we purchased a second one so that our guns Match.  This allows us to share spares and Mags.  Also the Glock is not recommended for lead. 

I have to concede that the stock holster selection is poor and the Mags are twice as much.  CDNN has the best price on Mags I have found.

I personally use a LOW end IWB slide holster.   It does not have a seat guard so the gun bights me a little bit.  I am unsure about the super tuck so I am planning on going to old faithful for their kit for about half the price.

I like the feel of the SR series so much I bought the first SR45 I saw.  I still think a 1911 is the way a handgun is supposed to feel, the SRs are a close second.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2013, 02:09:09 PM »
I ended up picking up the SR9c.  My fiance was a little upset with I started picking off her onions at 7 meters, off hand  ;D 8) :P
My full size rig is a Sig 226R, I gotta say that the SR9c is as close to the way my Sig points as anything else that I have put in my hand.  My next step will be to get myself an IWB holster, have heard some good things about the super tuck, may have to give it a go.
"You are your most precious commodity along with those you spend your life with. Time is how you spend that commodity. Dont let anyone spend it for you."    - yrone
The problem with society today: Stupid doesn't hurt anymore.
www.allthingsonmybrain.wordpress.com

Inflateable goat Get him... before he gets you!

Offline Poet

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2013, 03:27:32 PM »
hi,
I chose not to read anything more than the OP. So please forgive me if I repeat any info already given.

First; I have no experience with the G19. I have however owned and carried a G27. I have also owned  and carried a Sig p220, RIA 1911, GP100, and ..... I owned and carried a SR9c constantly for about 3 years.

I prefered it hands down over the Glock. I don't dislike Glocks, they are great sidearms. I just found that for price, ergonomics, and holster choice (almost any G19 holster will fit the SR9c), not to mention the sights, the SR9c was a better choice for me.

I traded a Kimber Pro Carry II to buy the Ruger.

I now carry the SR1911CMD but still have the SR9c and will continue to have it. It shot extremely well and was very manageable in the recoil dept.

It also concealed better for me than the G27 did. That will/may be different for you depending on body type.

Hope this helps,
poet

Offline Poet

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2013, 03:41:25 PM »
LOL I just went back and re-read the thread. Then I noticed the dates. heh, oh well. Maybe what I posted will help others.

Anyway, I'd like to thank the OP for starting this and The Professor for his replies. You have me thinking about revisiting the glock, in 19 this time, might be fun to OC, will be reliable, and help the local economy at the same time.

Have a good Fourth everyone.

Offline Shooter McCool

• Prepper
  • Cool story bro.
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2013, 03:56:47 AM »
I carry an sr9c in a concealment solutions sidewinder owb and python gun belt but have heard great things about the black mamba iwb as well.
Magazines aren't too hard to get a hold of just order them from impact guns, I have 5 full size with the sleeves but they are spendy. I had some light primer strikes early on but not for a while now. I was told that lubricating the firing pin/channel too much was causing it.
Anyway I like it and don't regret buying it.

Offline Doug

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2013, 11:16:40 AM »
I own both the Glock 19 and the Ruger SR9c. I like them both but I like carrying the Ruger more. I think I shoot better with it to. The ruger did jam on me once but I think I had a limp wrist. My daughter is taking shooting lessons and has problems with her SR9c jamming. Her instructor is questioning whether it is her or the gun. I need to ask her but I don't think she's had problems lately. She also owns a Sig P238. That is her prefered go to for conceal. I'm looking at maybe buying a Sig M11 A1 or the P229 as a conceal gun. It's heavier but it feels close to the Ruger. but like the Prof said it doesn't have the reputation as the sig and glock.

My IWB hosted of choice for the SR9c is by Stoner. I like it a lot and because the ruger is so liteweight I hardly know it's on my waist. Stoner's prices are reasonable and their holsters are form- fitted.

<edited link>
http://www.stonerholsters.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=117
"If you get to thinkin' you're a person of some influence, try ordering somebody else's dog around."