Author Topic: Amazon.com  (Read 64680 times)

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
    • Gardening and critter raising in the backyard.
Amazon.com
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:45:50 PM »
I don't want to go too deep into the specifics because someone could do this to abuse Amazon, but I recently purchased a high dollar ($400) survival item from Amazon and it arrived with some shipping damage.  A call to Amazon and they MORE than made it right to the point where I felt a little guilty accepting it.  Very good customer service.

Amazon has earned the right to my business.   :)

Offline Sperls

• Prepper
Re: Amazon.com
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 03:23:05 PM »
I would have to agree 100%. I like that they will call you to follow up, but only after you enter your number and a time. Class organization all the way.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 06:43:06 PM »
I bought an Amazon TV a few weeks ago.  Last night I noticed they were selling it much cheaper now.  I clicked on the button that said "Found a cheaper price", and this morning they gave me a refund for the difference.  My time invested = 2 minutes.  No wonder a full page of my discover bill says amazon this and amazon that.

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2011, 07:47:17 AM »
I'm a big time customer of Amazon.  Spend probably thousands of dollars a year.  I have always had very good luck with them. 

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2011, 01:03:41 PM »
I bought an Amazon TV a few weeks ago.  Last night I noticed they were selling it much cheaper now.  I clicked on the button that said "Found a cheaper price", and this morning they gave me a refund for the difference.  My time invested = 2 minutes.  No wonder a full page of my discover bill says amazon this and amazon that.

That's a good tip.  I din't know they did that.  Thanks!

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2011, 01:21:43 PM »
I do a lot of shopping through Amazon, including a generator.  My only beef is not being able to call them.  Well... I couldn't find a number to call anyway, perhaps I just missed it.  The price is always competative and its usually on my doorstep in no time.

My understanding is that if we follow a link through the TSP that it will get some 'credit' or reward for the sale?  I have a hard time remembering to do that, and I think its only been recently that the ads have been showing up in the forum here.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2011, 02:12:04 PM »
With Amazon Prime it's even better. 80 a year and no shipping. I find I'm not padding my order to 25 anymore  :)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2011, 03:13:16 PM »
Hey guys!  Since you're all already shopping through amazon, could you do the forum a favor and use a link from the forum (amazon ads on the bottom of this page will work and when I get home tonight I'll post something more permanent in this thread)?  When you buy ANYTHING from amazon after getting to their site through our links, it supports the forum big time.  It doesn't cost one penny extra for you guys to do it that way and it's just one more way of keeping the forum alive and kicking!

Thank you! And I'm super extremely happy that you're all so happy with amazon!  It means we chose an exceptional advertiser for the forum when we chose them!

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »
I do a lot of shopping through Amazon, including a generator.  My only beef is not being able to call them.  Well... I couldn't find a number to call anyway, perhaps I just missed it.  The price is always competative and its usually on my doorstep in no time.

First time I noticed Amazon's option to have them call me (I think it was under Help or Contact) I snickered but tried it.  Seconds later my phone rang and a human from Amazon answered my question.  It's like the Twilight Zone where I get better customer service from a web site than a store.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2011, 04:29:18 PM »
I usually buy bulk spices that I can't find locally through the shops at Amazon. It's a great way to shop if you can't find things in your locale.

I like the ability to read reviews as well, so remember to review an Amazon seller or product if you get the chance.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »
I'm starting to buy food there. Boxes of cereal on the cheap. Plus it's the only place I can find my cologne anymore.

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2011, 10:53:17 PM »
I'm starting to buy food there. Boxes of cereal on the cheap. Plus it's the only place I can find my cologne anymore.

Hai Karate?  :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtwh3nQP5Uo#

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2011, 11:00:06 PM »
Hai Karate?  :D
Damn, I had a bottle of that when I was much younger. Guess my bottle was defective, I never had to defend myself from rabid women.

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 06:13:38 AM »
My only beef is not being able to call them.  Well... I couldn't find a number to call anyway, perhaps I just missed it. 

Use http://gethuman.com/ for almost any company to get a direct number to a human being with little to no wait.  It worked great for me when I had to call Amazon.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 09:36:46 PM »
Amazon absolutely rocks. First purchase was in 1999. Spent well into 5 digits with them since then.

Couple tips:

Amazon Prime membership: For $89/yr, anything that is normally "Free Super Saver" shipping will be shipped 2-day delivery. No minimum purchase. I've purchased a $2.04 microphone for my iPod and it was in my mailbox in 2 days...for $2.04 total. Want it overnight? Only $3.99 more (per item). Want it TODAY? Only $3.99 more (per item). They have "Local Express Delivery" for certain items stocked locally to you (order in the morning and get it that evening). I have yet to actually FIND any of those qualifying items, though.

Amazon Subscribe & Save: For qualifying products, get an addition 15% discount when you schedule automatic delivery. For example: Prilosec 42ct is $22.96 at WalMart. $21.75 at Amazon. Agree to have X number of packages sent automatically every X month(s) and the price drops to $18.49.  Rice-a-roni $1.42 at local store. Regular price $1.48 at Amazon. Subscribe & Save price, $1.25 (sold in 12ct cases) You can cancel the subscription anytime after your 1st scheduled delivery. This is also a good way to build up some of your preps. I have 8 items so far that come to the house like clockwork in quantity, delivered by the "Great Brown Truck of Happiness". Dated and added to storage. Rotated as usual.

Other Sellers on Amazon: When you find an item you want on Amazon (especially books), look at the link showing other selling new or used. Personally, I prefer used books for the significant price savings. All purchasing is done THRU Amazon so THEY are on the hook if something goes amiss with the seller, although I've never had an issue.

** Usual Disclaimer: No affiliation other than a satisfied customer, batteries not included, contents may settle, your actual mileage may vary, no expressed or implied warentees...yadda, yadda, yadda. **

PS...Please, no comments on generics. I've tried 7 different brands and NONE worked as well as Prilosec.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2011, 10:38:59 PM »
LOL!!!  Had to give you a +1 for the disclaimer.  VERY funny!

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2011, 10:48:34 PM »
Whenever I find an item that I want to buy online, I always check to see if it is available through Amazon before I buy. I get lower prices a lot through Amazon. Every penny saved is a penny that can go to other preps or needs.

Pat

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
Here, if you guys are gonna shop on Amazon, use this link to get there:

AMAZON

That supports the forum.  :)

Thanks!

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 05:19:28 AM »

AMAZON

Thanks!

It would be handy to have that link on the homepage... just sayin' ;)

Offline Sperls

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 06:40:27 AM »

AMAZON

Thanks!

If I use this link as a "Favorite", will you still get credit or does it need to be 'clicked'?

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 09:52:46 AM »
If I use this link as a "Favorite", will you still get credit or does it need to be 'clicked'?

It ought to work no matter how you use it.  It's that "tag=" part in the URL that gets us credit.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 10:10:00 AM »
It would be handy to have that link on the homepage... just sayin' ;)

I just added a little Amazon search box to the top of the home page.

I think there's an Amazon ad somewhere on pretty much every other page on the forum.  If you don't care about the item in the ad, you can still click on the amazon.com logo in any ad, and it'll take you to Amazon's homepage and give us credit for anything you order.

Offline Kilgor

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 11:46:05 AM »
Amazon absolutely rocks. First purchase was in 1999. Spent well into 5 digits with them since then.

Couple tips:

Amazon Prime membership: For $89/yr, anything that is normally "Free Super Saver" shipping will be shipped 2-day delivery. No minimum purchase. I've purchased a $2.04 microphone for my iPod and it was in my mailbox in 2 days...for $2.04 total. Want it overnight? Only $3.99 more (per item). Want it TODAY? Only $3.99 more (per item). They have "Local Express Delivery" for certain items stocked locally to you (order in the morning and get it that evening). I have yet to actually FIND any of those qualifying items, though.

Amazon Subscribe & Save: For qualifying products, get an addition 15% discount when you schedule automatic delivery. For example: Prilosec 42ct is $22.96 at WalMart. $21.75 at Amazon. Agree to have X number of packages sent automatically every X month(s) and the price drops to $18.49.  Rice-a-roni $1.42 at local store. Regular price $1.48 at Amazon. Subscribe & Save price, $1.25 (sold in 12ct cases) You can cancel the subscription anytime after your 1st scheduled delivery. This is also a good way to build up some of your preps. I have 8 items so far that come to the house like clockwork in quantity, delivered by the "Great Brown Truck of Happiness". Dated and added to storage. Rotated as usual.

Other Sellers on Amazon: When you find an item you want on Amazon (especially books), look at the link showing other selling new or used. Personally, I prefer used books for the significant price savings. All purchasing is done THRU Amazon so THEY are on the hook if something goes amiss with the seller, although I've never had an issue.

** Usual Disclaimer: No affiliation other than a satisfied customer, batteries not included, contents may settle, your actual mileage may vary, no expressed or implied warentees...yadda, yadda, yadda. **

PS...Please, no comments on generics. I've tried 7 different brands and NONE worked as well as Prilosec.

+Karma every time I see you post dude.  The subscribe and save deal just saved me $5!  I didn't know it existed, but if available why wouldn't I do it and save the 15%?  I could just go and cancel the subscription after ordering if I wanted to.

Very nice.  Thank you again!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2011, 01:32:01 PM »
If I use this link as a "Favorite", will you still get credit?

Yup! 

I know Mr. Bill answered it already, but I wanted to add my yup to the party.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2011, 02:10:41 PM »
Yup! 

I know Mr. Bill answered it already, but I wanted to add my yup to the party.

Proves you're a yuppie.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2011, 05:03:46 AM »
Another tip with Amazon.....

If there is something you want but are not in a rush to buy, put it in your cart and watch it for awhile.  When you revisit your cart, Amazon will notify you if the price has increased or decreased.  I do this regularly and see prices on particular items fluctuate regularly.  I've seen pressure canners move up $7 in a day and then move back down a couple days later.  Books do the same.  A lot of stuff will just move a couple cents though.  It isn't much, but if you compound that over time it does add up.

And Sis Wolf....just used the link to place an Amazon order a couple days ago.  Thanks for reminding us.

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2011, 08:26:07 AM »
Thanks for all of the tips regarding Amazon, some of this information could save me some money, and give back a little to the forum. Thanks folks!

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2011, 09:30:02 AM »
Another tip with Amazon.....

If there is something you want but are not in a rush to buy, put it in your cart and watch it for awhile.  When you revisit your cart, Amazon will notify you if the price has increased or decreased.  I do this regularly and see prices on particular items fluctuate regularly.  I've seen pressure canners move up $7 in a day and then move back down a couple days later.  Books do the same.  A lot of stuff will just move a couple cents though.  It isn't much, but if you compound that over time it does add up.

And Sis Wolf....just used the link to place an Amazon order a couple days ago.  Thanks for reminding us.

I do this all the time and then check daily. I've saved a few bucks here and there by waiting. One book I saved $3 on by waiting until just the next day!

Offline Sperls

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
I have noticed that Amazon Prime now includes access to 5,000 on-line Movies and TV shows. I have been browsing the catalog and it seems comparable to Netflix (not sure if the #'s are close...).

Is anyone using this portion of the service? Prime already seems like a great deal and this might convince us to join...