Author Topic: Amazon.com  (Read 64748 times)

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Amazon.com
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 07:45:29 PM »
Amazon is the gold standard in internet retail. 

Amazon Prime and Subscribe & Save are great deals. 

The iPhone app never crashes, allowing impulse buys 24/7. 

May UPS run forever.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2011, 09:49:38 PM »
I have noticed that Amazon Prime now includes access to 5,000 on-line Movies and TV shows. I have been browsing the catalog and it seems comparable to Netflix (not sure if the #'s are close...).

Is anyone using this portion of the service? Prime already seems like a great deal and this might convince us to join...

Yup, I watch 'em. The selection is very weak, though. Not a deal maker by any means.

Offline cjscuba

• Prepper
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2011, 06:29:02 AM »
I am 6 months into my prime membership and have already made back the cost in the shipping I have saved. 

Offline abago

• Prepper
« Reply #33 on: September 04, 2011, 08:46:54 PM »
I have an Amazon rewards card.
I put my Utilities and Insurance on it and pay off the balance every month.
I get no interest charged and use the reward points to keep me supplied in books.

I have been using Amazon for several years and have no complaints.
My orders always come a day or two early.

Anything ordered from Amazon gives you triple points.

Offline Medicus

• Prepper
  • W7ZMB
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2011, 02:27:25 PM »
I have noticed that Amazon Prime now includes access to 5,000 on-line Movies and TV shows. I have been browsing the catalog and it seems comparable to Netflix (not sure if the #'s are close...).

Is anyone using this portion of the service? Prime already seems like a great deal and this might convince us to join...

I've been using Prime for almost a year now.  I tried it as an alternative to Netflix when NF got stupid with their pricing.  The selection of "Free with Prime Membership" movies and TV shows is limited and seldom changes so I wouldn't recommend it as a replacement for Netflix or Hulu Plus, but it's cool as a supplement.

Note:  This year Sons of Anarchy season 4 was not available on Hulu so I had to buy it on Amazon Prime.  Cost was $2.99 per episode for HD quality and episodes were available shortly after airing.  That plus the shipping perks make it more than worth it.

Offline mrdan

• Survivor
  • If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2011, 04:17:55 AM »
Ordering staples from Amazon is a great deal, not paper staples, household staples of life like dry goods, laundry detergent, toothpaste, etc. You can order on the scheduled rotation and save money, just like was stated. No limitation, no issues, cancel or modify anytime and of course no shipping charge. I've been on Amazon Prime for of, five years I guess. It absolutely rocks. It's not magic and sometimes your shipping charge is just included in a higher price. And sometimes, especially for esoteric items, there is no Amazon Prime option. I'd say I pay shipping on an item less than 5% of the time and I order A LOT of stuff from Amazon. By a lot I mean UPS probably has an entire shift working just for me.

One thing that wasn't mentioned was tax. Amazon doesn't charge local sales tax so your $40 dollars in dry groceries is just $40, not $40 plus sales tax. That adds up over time, big time. It's completely unfair to the local retailers and for mom and pop shops I give them plenty of business but I have no issue not shopping at Wally World locally. Btw, a bunch of states recently tried to force Amazon to hand over their customer lists so they could go back and charge the tax. Amazon told 'em to go pound sand so one more reason I support them.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2011, 10:46:26 PM »
By a lot I mean UPS probably has an entire shift working just for me.

You and me both! This year was a record for me.  211 orders (not items, separate orders) for 2011. Record time for a delivery (standard free 2-day, not overnight) was 14 hrs.

Offline mrdan

• Survivor
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2011, 04:06:59 AM »
You and me both! This year was a record for me.  211 orders (not items, separate orders) for 2011. Record time for a delivery (standard free 2-day, not overnight) was 14 hrs.

Wow! 69 for me, I stand humbled by your Amazonioness!

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2011, 05:51:35 AM »
I went to return something recently and Amazon told me "Good news.  You're such a good customer you don't need to ship this item back.  Just keep it and we'll give you a refund."

Possibly a hint that I spend too much with them.

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2011, 11:59:11 AM »
Didn't realize I could help the TSP by using the link to Amazon...

Situation now stands corrected!  :clap:

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2011, 04:45:15 PM »
One more tip for Amazon buyers... many independent sellers now stock their goods at Amazon through a program called "Fulfillment by Amazon". This means you can buy from them and get free shipping as if it were stocked and owned by Amazon. Just look for that feature when you look at some of the other sellers of an item you're purchasing. Or, if Amazon doesn't sell the item, but it is available from other sellers, if you look for the "Fulfillment by Amazon" on the listing, you can save some money on shipment.

(Basically, it's a way of selling on consignment. The seller packages up the goods and ships to an Amazon warehouse, where it is stored until sold on Amazon). Amazon takes care of all shipping, combines orders with other things for the shipping, collects payment, handles disputes, etc.

Offline Count Orloff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2012, 07:20:50 AM »
I'm starting to buy food there. Boxes of cereal on the cheap. Plus it's the only place I can find my cologne anymore.

I ordered a case of sardines from there with free shipping (and no, it wasn't built into the price of the product, it really was much cheaper than buying individual cans at the grocery store). I buy Amazon gift cards from Giant Eagle (a supermarket chain in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, etc) and get 20 cents off a gallon for every $50 I spend. I only buy gift cards for specific items that I already intended to buy and I end up getting 30 gallons of gas for free every other month or so. I fill up the Ranger and 3 5-gallon gas cans each time.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2012, 07:43:33 AM »
I really like Amazon, but they have just entered an agreement with the state of Indiana to start collecting sales tax in 2014. No more Amazon for me.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #43 on: January 14, 2012, 07:47:17 AM »
I really like Amazon, but they have just entered an agreement with the state of Indiana to start collecting sales tax in 2014. No more Amazon for me.

It's only a matter of time before all Internet sales will be taxed by states that charge sales tax. With the economy the way it is, it might be sooner rather than later.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2012, 08:51:17 AM »
I figured that, but it just ticks me off that a company would choose to do it voluntarily.

Offline Jack Crabb

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2012, 09:18:14 AM »

In fairness to Amazon, it is only an agreement to the extent that agreeing to something with a figurative gun to your head is a voluntary agreement. Amazon has been one of the leading opponents to collecting sales tax. Quill has been another. Amazon recently terminated their affiliate relations in California to avoid collecting tax on behalf of California.

However, SCOTUS is with the states here. If a company has a distribution center, server farm, affiliates, etc., the state can legally require the company to collect sales tax for transactions within the state.

With the prime memberships/free shipping, better prices, and payments to TSP, even with sales tax, one is probably still ahead.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2012, 09:41:22 AM »
Amazon already charges sales tax if I am getting something from an in-state seller. The new agreement means they will collect IN sales tax on out of state purchases.

Offline mrdan

• Survivor
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2012, 05:16:22 AM »
Just to pile on, NC recently tried to do the same thing to Amazon. Amazon told them to go pound sand, ended their affiliates program, and fought them in court when NC demanded a list of all their customers and purchases in NC so NC could collect the tax directly. If they are "voluntarily" charging sales tax, I doubt it's very voluntary.

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2012, 06:53:01 AM »
Be sure to check the return policy if you make any large purchases from them. Since Jack speaks so highly of the Powerdome EX I ordered one from Amazon as a Christmas gift for my husband. When he opened it, the manufacturer's packaging was damaged and it was quite obvious that the box had been opened before. Both of the power cords were missing, as well as the needles for the air compressor. I contacted Amazon and was told they did not accept returns on this item because the battery made it be a hazardous material, and that I should contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer has been playing games with me for 3 weeks now and we still have no power cords, so the item is useless.

I'm tired of the run-around I've been getting from Wagan so I contacted Amazon again. This time they said I could return the item but since it has been longer than 30 days since purchase I would have to pay a restocking fee. I told her I would have returned the item earlier but was originally told I could not return it. She just repeated the policy to me. I asked how much the fee would be. I was told the fee depended on the condition of the item when it was returned. If it was in good condition the only thing I would have to pay would be the shipping cost. If it was in damaged condition, such as the box being ripped or parts being missing then I would have to pay an additional fee. I asked how I could return the item in good condition when we had received it from them with a ripped box and items missing. The woman (who barely spoke English) just repeated that was their policy. I said "so basically you're making me pay a penalty because you sent me damaged merchandise?" and she just repeated the policy again. So looks like I'm screwed both ways and I still don't have a working Christmas gift for my husband. >:(

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »

It tipped me over, but it is difficult to browse for titles. I can not find a clean way to sort buy titles that are "free" for members. Infact, I have never watched a movie it is so frustrating. They are trying to sell you movies. So the entire catalog is there and about 1/4 is free. Then some you rent, and some you buy. Pretty confusing. Even my Kindle fire is hard to browse movies.

However, I LOVE my prime membership, and will continue to renew. I would recommend and do not use this as the tipping point, just get it.

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2012, 11:13:05 AM »
Use  this link to see what FREE movies are available for Amazon PRIME members:  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=amb_link_355368542_2?rh=n%3A2858905011%2Cp_85%3A1&ie=UTF8

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: January 20, 2012, 10:55:34 PM »
Be sure to check the return policy if you make any large purchases from them.

I hope that your problem was just an isolated event and not a change in Amazon's policies.  I have never had trouble returning the rare item that were defective.  Last summer I received a sealed lead-acid battery that was damaged in transit and was leaking all over the place.  Trying to return it from the Amazon web site stalled out since they don't allow return of hazardous items, but I reached someone (who I suspect was in India) on their online chat function and she refunded my purchase without any questions and told me to dispose of the damaged battery in a safe manner.

Offline TLBones

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum Chupacabra
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2012, 03:13:29 PM »
It tipped me over, but it is difficult to browse for titles. I can not find a clean way to sort buy titles that are "free" for members. Infact, I have never watched a movie it is so frustrating. They are trying to sell you movies. So the entire catalog is there and about 1/4 is free. Then some you rent, and some you buy. Pretty confusing. Even my Kindle fire is hard to browse movies.

However, I LOVE my prime membership, and will continue to renew. I would recommend and do not use this as the tipping point, just get it.

Actually to sort out the free videos is almost TOO easy you could miss it... at the top left of the amazon page select unlimited instant videos then prime instant videos.    If you have a kindle fire there is a toggle from prime/all videos.   
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 03:49:23 PM by TLBones »

Offline pokeshell

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand.
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2012, 01:41:16 AM »
Actually to sort out the free videos is almost TOO easy you could miss it... at the top left of the amazon page select unlimited instant videos then prime instant videos.    If you have a kindle fire there is a toggle from prime/all videos.

Yeah, I think this is what happened. It was a little too user friendly.

Offline tstensberg

• Prepper
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2012, 05:20:13 PM »
I use Amazon.com for nearly all of my big ticket item purchases and have never had a problem.  Becoming an Amazon Prime member is well worth the cost.  If you know anyone who is currently attending college and has a .stu e-mail account... you can get prime for free.  I believe you can link up to three accounts with the same e-mail.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
Something I've just started using is Amazon's Trade-In program.  Match books, CDs, DVDs, and electronics to items they're looking for, throw them in a box, print out a receipt and pre-paid shipping, and in a week or so you get a credit on your account.  Could I get more selling these items on my own?  Probably, but for me it's not worth the time and hassle.  They don't have a market for everything I'd like to unload, but I was surprised to make several hundred bucks getting rid of stuff that was no longer useful to me.  The more esoteric and academic stuff seems to be in the highest demand.  Pulp fiction and pop artists....not so much.

Offline TLBones

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum Chupacabra
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »
It works just as well as netflix...  not sure about # of videos but it is substantially less than netflix but is getting bigger slowly.    It's really just an added bonus for being a prime member.   Originally I became a prime member because it was cheaper than paying shipping on a large tool I needed....now I'm not sure I'd give it up! 

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 04:50:16 AM »
Amazon is like insurance when shopping online to me. If I ever have a problem with anyone selling on the site, 3rd party stores, Amazon will have your back. +1 for amazon.com endorsement.

Offline bsteimel

• Prepper
  • Give me Liberty, or Give me Death!
    • Technology Consulting
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
+1 For amazon.  Been a member for a long time and a prime member for slighltly less then that.
another great tip

You can share your prime membership with friends and family.  It is only the shipping benefits, not Subscribe and Save, video rental and other benefits.  At least it's something. 

Offline TLBones

• Senior Survivalist
  • TSP Forum Chupacabra
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2012, 09:06:51 PM »
+1 For amazon.  Been a member for a long time and a prime member for slighltly less then that.
another great tip

You can share your prime membership with friends and family.  It is only the shipping benefits, not Subscribe and Save, video rental and other benefits.  At least it's something.

Good tip!   I didn't know that.   The prime shipping is no small thing!