Author Topic: Amazon.com  (Read 64345 times)

Offline howardsheppard

• Prepper
  • ** Insert brilliant phrase here **
Re: Amazon.com
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 08:35:19 AM »
Another Amazon devotee here!  I've been a Prime member for several years and have been MORE than satisfied with the few times I've spoken to their customer service folks.

My problem is it's too easy to spend every $$ I make there!   :o ;D

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 04:27:56 PM »
Put in a new toilet last week - from Amazon, free shipping

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2012, 04:47:51 PM »
We are prime members and our whole family enjoys the videos a lot.

They may not have the specific video, movie or TV program you are looking for, but I would bet anyone could find many items to their taste.

We joined prime to save on shipping. The videos are pure gravy.

Offline howardsheppard

• Prepper
  • ** Insert brilliant phrase here **
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2012, 05:36:37 PM »
Prime members:  if you own a Kindle you get the "Lending Library" which lets you download one book at a time for no additional cost as part of the deal.

Just navigate to the Lending Library on your Kindle and go nuts!

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2012, 01:13:30 AM »
I have noticed that Amazon Prime now includes access to 5,000 on-line Movies and TV shows. I have been browsing the catalog and it seems comparable to Netflix (not sure if the #'s are close...).

Is anyone using this portion of the service? Prime already seems like a great deal and this might convince us to join...

Thanks for the info I am a prime member and did not know this. 

I also shop a lot through Amazon.  They are great to work with.  I have had a couple of issues in the past with items ordered but they have always been corrected promptly and will continue to give them my business.  I have even had some success with getting local companies to match their prices for a couple of items I did not want to wait for.

Offline rbradley

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Aspiring Permaculturalist
« Reply #65 on: July 11, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »
Amazon absolutely rocks. First purchase was in 1999. Spent well into 5 digits with them since then.

Couple tips:

All your tips were great, and although I've only been a "sometimes buyer" from amazon, I think I'm going to look into it much more now. *Of course, using the TSP link :P

Offline mrdan

• Survivor
  • If it's stupid but it works, it's not stupid.
« Reply #66 on: July 11, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
Just experienced another +1 for Amazon. I bought a book from Amazon July of 2011. It was on canning and preserving food. I didn't use the book much till this summer when I really did a bunch of canning. That's when I noticed that the book was printed/bound wrong and pages were missing and/or out of order. No big deal, just a printing issue. So I contact Amazon via chat. After about 30 seconds the rep informs me that they don't take back books after 30 days, however in this case they'll overnight me a replacement book and all I have to do is ship back the wrong book for free. You just can't get better service than that.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2015, 10:28:34 PM »
Resurrecting an old thread with recent experience:

I hit the buy button on some targets this morning at 8am and it told me to expect the delivery on the 27th, which is totally reasonable with tomorrow being Thanksgiving and the 27th being Black Friday.  However, at 8:30 tonight the door bell rings and a box flops down by the door.  I look out and this beat up Corolla (I guess Ontrac is hiring pizza delivery guys now) is backing out of the driveway and there's my order, delivered the same day!

So I look at the tracking info onlline, figuring it must have originated from the relatively new distribution center that's about 8 miles east of me, only to discover that it was shipped from a town that's about 10 miles west of me.  What?  Why are there two fulfillment centers that close together?  So I did some searching and found that there's actually 4 Amazon fulfillment centers within 12 miles of my house.  Four!?  And there's only 6 in all of California.

I'm not quite sure how I should feel about that.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #68 on: November 26, 2015, 07:59:53 AM »
I see they also started to collect sales tax, when did that start?

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #69 on: November 26, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »
I see they also started to collect sales tax, when did that start?

As soon as a company has a fulfillment center in a state they have to collect sales tax as it becomes an in-state sale.  Eventually Amazon will be collecting sales tax in all states as they continue to add facilities to speed delivery.   It is no different than any other retailer.

endurance

« Reply #70 on: November 26, 2015, 09:34:59 AM »
Wow. I recently got an email saying they couldn't deliver a package at 9:30pm on a Saturday. I figured it was a mistake, as I know the USPS doesn't deliver at that time. Guess this explains it. All my mail goes to a UPS store storefront, which has normal business hours.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #71 on: November 26, 2015, 10:44:20 AM »
I have the US Postal Service delivering Amazon orders to me on Sunday all the time.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2015, 12:00:06 PM »
I have the US Postal Service delivering Amazon orders to me on Sunday all the time.
Me too. I was totally shocked the first time that happened.

endurance

« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2015, 12:28:40 PM »
How is this happening?  I thought the USPS was telling congress to make budget constraints a couple years ago they'd have to end Saturday deliveries.  Now they're delivering on Saturday night and Sundays?   :o

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2015, 12:50:28 PM »
Someone got clue and realized it's a free market and they're going to have to actually compete to survive.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2015, 05:22:43 PM »
Speaking of Amazon.  They are doing a promotion this weekend of 30% off one book.  I was looking on my wish list for an expensive book that might be worthwhile purchasing with this discount.  I found Dr. Bones & Nurse Amy's book The Survival Medicine Handbook.  The price right now is $35.92.  With this discount, I could get it for $25.92.  I'm thinking of pulling the trigger.

To use this promotion, you must enter "HOLIDAY30" at checkout under the "Gift cards & promotional codes" section to receive 30% off any ONE (1) book, with a maximum discount of $10.

▪ The discount will be applied to the highest priced book in your order.

▪ This offer is valid on print books only. Excludes Kindle eBooks and Audible Audiobooks, Book Rentals and Amazon Gift Cards.

▪ The promotion is valid for a limited time, on orders placed between November 26, 2015 at 12:00am EST and November 30, 2015 at 02:59am EST.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Remington

• Survivor
« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2015, 10:16:51 PM »
Speaking of Amazon.  They are doing a promotion this weekend of 30% off one book.

Just used that coupon to save a few bucks. Thanks for sharing.

Offline RuggedCyclist

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Capitalist hippie
    • Boulder Stonecraft
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2015, 10:21:30 PM »
Has anyone heard about or tried their two hour delivery? I keep hearing about it on Pandora ads.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #79 on: January 08, 2016, 06:41:41 PM »
Amazon rocks  ;D

Offline A Pawn

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2016, 10:03:42 PM »
Since I haven't read all this link so I don't know if anyone has mentioned this, but Amazon Prime members also have access to lots of free music too...

Take it easy...  8)

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2016, 06:23:35 AM »
Amazon rocks  ;D

They offered a discount on home services, so I bought a new exercise gadget - free shipping for a 320 pound box and a guy showed up to assemble it. He did a good job and saved me the headache from squinting at the tiny undecipherable directions. Yeah Amazon! They don't seem to offer things like electrical or plumbing in my area yet, but that would be attractive since Amazon includes some kind of "Happiness guarantee"

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2017, 03:27:36 AM »
We've been a Prime member about 18 months now. Nothing but good to say. I had 1 return in that time & it could not have been easier.

I've heard they're trying to take over the world but atleast they're doing it right so far. Walmart did this for 20 years and is nothing but a direct conduit from China. Amazon sells from many small businesses that would never get a contract at walmart. I think Amazon is doing a good job & if anything they are setting the bar for competition right now. They have a model others will study & use to become the next retail king in 20 years.

Also the subscribe & save is a good deal. Any 5 items shipped together is 15% off. We have things like trash bags & soap that we will be buying somewhere anyway. I figure why not make it easy & save money too?

www.tspaz.com

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2017, 03:50:27 AM »
At almost 400 orders in one year,I take real advantage of Prime and the almost free shipping,the Prime Pantry GROCERY box with flat rate shipping often arrives the next day and is a deal for shut-ins like me.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2017, 05:12:14 AM »
At almost 400 orders in one year,I take real advantage of Prime and the almost free shipping,the Prime Pantry GROCERY box with flat rate shipping often arrives the next day and is a deal for shut-ins like me.

We have not messed with the pantry option yet. I'll have to look into that more.
I'm a hermit myself Carl. Work & Home. Some family calls every six months just to make sure I'm kickin.

Another thing good about Amazon is the store card. I got one about 8 so months ago. 5% cash credit back on every dollar. Works for me but I pay my credit accts in full every week.

Oh & the prime tv is good but not great. Alot of good stuff but it seems the 5 star rating system does work! Amazon puts strange things on there. I've backed out after 10 minutes on Amazon tv 100% more than Netflix. I did see Gangs of New York again the other night on Amazon. Bill the Butcher was really not as bad as I remembered!

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2017, 08:39:14 AM »
I need to ramp up the subscribe & save and use it to that 15% advantage. So far I haven't.
Pantry I've used several times.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2017, 09:22:12 AM »
I also use the amazon store card. 5 percent off everything you buy on amazon. With as much as I buy though amazon it adds up.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2017, 06:27:32 AM »
I need to ramp up the subscribe & save and use it to that 15% advantage. So far I haven't.
Pantry I've used several times.

You just need 5 Items. Any value.

Offline Mastoo

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2017, 06:59:12 AM »
I also use the amazon store card. 5 percent off everything you buy on amazon. With as much as I buy though amazon it adds up.

If you're a prime member you can get their Visa Prime card. It gives 5% cash back at Amazon and 1% everywhere else. It almost makes up for Amazon recently starting to charge me sales tax.

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2017, 08:57:26 AM »
You just need 5 Items. Any value.

Yes. I usually only have 2-3 items on there. Only 2 now, as they can't seem to get the aspirin restocked