Author Topic: Vetting of a male prepper theory on Reluctant Lady Preppers.  (Read 876 times)

Offline Prepper Rob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Rob's Prepper Presentations
Vetting of a male prepper theory on Reluctant Lady Preppers.
« on: November 03, 2019, 05:42:38 PM »
Greetings Ladies Survivors.

My wife and I have an 18-year-old nonverbal severely autistic child.  So when we got into prepping about four years ago we bypassed the head out to the woods and hide from everybody stage or going to the FEMA camp because our autistic child is not going to understand why the electricity is off and why we can not go to the store and get a toy.

I am working on a plan to address special needs children / adults and their parents to get them into  prepping along with regular parents of young children. 

Will you reply back with a vetting of my theory ?

My theory is that Ladies who are not in the military or police force have a fear that their husbands or men in general will be killed in a long term grid down situation and then the bad guys will come after them and the children. 

This is an extra burden that guys do not have and may keep women from working through there fear of what could happen.

Prepper Rob, Louisville Kentucky

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Vetting of a male prepper theory on Reluctant Lady Preppers.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2019, 06:36:14 AM »
Hi Prepper Rob:

Certainly women without military or law enforcement backgrounds will have a fear that their husbands could be killed in a long-term violent situation and that then they and any children would become the next targets. I'd say that is logical. However, I think even women with military or law enforcement experience might have similar worries if they have dependent children. However, I think that is a rational thing to consider, given that women are often the primary caregivers for their children.

That being said, I see it less as a reason to avoid considering that fact than as a reason to become more proactive. At least, that is my response. Perhaps others will have a different point of view, or experience with a spouse who won't think about it because it is too scary. Anyway, my husband is the one in our family who prepares most for defense of the home and security -- I do the work on making sure we have supplies (and this does include any a*m*m*o that might be needed). Our boys are both trained in use of 'security tools', so we are all fairly well prepared to assist if needed.

We do hope that all this preparation will never be needed, however, as I am sure you do as well.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2019, 07:12:22 PM »
I think a well rounded plan would be helpful in your situation. As an example working together on verbal and non-verbal ques. Pass words that have another meaning for danger, someone in the front or backyard, men at the front door that say things like we're here to do an inspection, someone in the house, etc. Present your plan or preps as a unit, not, "here is some stuff and if I get wacked your on your own". Think and act as one. Communicate your concerns to each other. Can't say it any clearer than this, if someone or something is messing with either of you, then they are messing with BOTH of you. Can't remember what movie it was but the lead lady in the film said "men are good at fighting and dying, women are good at surviving". This is not a good solution. Strive to be and act as one in all your preps and defenses. If you and your wife are on the same page then you have some skills that are important and she has some skills that are also important. If you are not acting together then you are two people that may be hindering each other and your success. P.S. My brother is in a situation with a child very like your own. Plan and practice to be a solid unit together. Best wishes, respectfully, R.K.

Offline David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 11:33:05 AM »
I thought about this and asked the Mrs. She is a force. No, she has never been in a fistfight like me but she played hockey growing up. I guess you'd rather face her in a cage than me but reality is that the AR has an adjustable buttstock and she can run it fine. In fact should you hold a pellet gun match and Mrs. David walks in with a Feinwerkbau you have stiff competition. She's shot a full auto MP5, S&W 500 magnum, and .416 Rigby "dangerous game" gun. I think at this point by common law my .357 is hers and I must suffer the indignity of my H&K.  ;)

What I'm trying to say is that I do have the "muscle" advantage. But Annie Oakley was pretty tiny. Bonnie Parker was under 100 lbs and slung a BAR. I met my wife in engineering school and frankly she does electrical work much better than me. I've always seen our marriage as a partnership of skill sets. In the darkest hour if I need give my life for my family she will be on my 6.

Sorry about the kiddo being unwell. Non-verbal is tough. I have a friend working with that. If prayers from MN help, we'll try.