Author Topic: Any Women Homesteading/Prepping Alone?  (Read 2324 times)

Offline Zephyr66

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Lazy Dog Ranch & Homestead
Any Women Homesteading/Prepping Alone?
« on: December 31, 2018, 07:56:41 PM »
Hi all... Are there any women homesteading/prepping alone?  I don't mean without the support of their husband or partner, but I mean alone.  I moved out to my 30 acres in the Ozarks of Arkansas about 6 months ago by myself after being widowed almost 5 years ago.  I would love to find out the experiences of other women doing the same thing for whatever reason if there are any here.  Happy New Year!

Sylvia

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Any Women Homesteading/Prepping Alone?
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 09:57:45 PM »
Welcome and I wish you luck with your homesteading.

I think there's another thread about this around somewhere.  There's lots of ladies on the forum, not sure how many are in your situation.

Offline Zephyr66

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 06:58:57 AM »
Thank you.  Yes, there was a post on this many years ago and I wanted to see if anyone is currently active.  Doesn't look like this area of the forum is very active in general, so not getting my hopes up.  Thank you again and am happy I found the forum and podcast!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2019, 07:59:01 AM »
I'm not aware of any women on the forum currently who are homesteading alone... most of us are married.

It does sound like a wonderful adventure. My husband and I looked at land a few years ago in the Arkansas Ozarks... unfortunately, there was a huge easement for a major gas line running right through the middle of the acreage (which wasn't obvious on the listing). Beautiful area, though... I hope all goes well for you.

Love to hear your stories...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »
Mountain Mama.  And Cedar.  Cedar is not currently active, but read some of her posts.  She has done it all.  Amazing woman!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2019, 01:18:20 PM »
Oops! Of course, MM and previously Cedar. Thanks, Morning Sunshine.

Offline Zephyr66

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2019, 07:26:30 AM »
Thank you both... I'll hope she'll jump on.  Interested in hearing about her stories!  I cannot find a way to message people directly and when I click on anyone's user name it says, "an error has occurred".

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2019, 08:27:24 AM »
I cannot find a way to message people directly and when I click on anyone's user name it says, "an error has occurred".

Well, that's odd.  If you're logged in, that ought to take you to their Profile page.  (If you try it without logging in, you'll always get an error message.)  Let me know if that problem continues.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2019, 02:38:40 PM »
Yes, I have been

Offline Zephyr66

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2019, 07:44:32 PM »
hi mountain moma... what do you go by and what state are you in?  glad i'm not the only solo homesteader here!  good to see a women's section, though.  i'm in the ozarks of arkansas on 30 acres. 

sylvia

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2019, 10:23:04 PM »
hi mountain moma... what do you go by and what state are you in?  glad i'm not the only solo homesteader here!  good to see a women's section, though.  i'm in the ozarks of arkansas on 30 acres. 

sylvia

I am right under 3 acres in the california coastal range, urban/wildland interface, neighborhood of houses on small acres, over 2000ft elevation  and distance to town/facilities, no rain at all for about half the year or more, then about 60-100 inches, mostly in 3 of the 6 potentially wet months. Native landscape would be live oak, doug fir, madrone, manzanita, scrub bushes berries moving into redwoods in the folds and lower elevations. Wildlife dominated by an increasing lion population which is reducing what used to be a problem amount of racoons and coyotes. Biggest hazard to the garden is the California pocket gopher, which will eat everything, copious birds and deer followed by squirrels, large woodrats and racoons. Weather is also a challenge there as we have 3 seasons, winter, a cold deluge of rain and some snow ( spring so short if you blink you miss it so no spring season), a summer of intense drought and sun exposure, then a nice, long indian summer (fall) of decent weather when everything still living ripens. 

Offline Zephyr66

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2019, 07:16:34 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I used to live in the desert of Joshua Tree and also in Arcata so I know the extremes of California.  The Ozarks are a delight right now... plenty of rain and green.  4 seasons, although our winter is mild compared to much of the country.  Take care!

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2019, 12:28:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I used to live in the desert of Joshua Tree and also in Arcata so I know the extremes of California.  The Ozarks are a delight right now... plenty of rain and green.  4 seasons, although our winter is mild compared to much of the country.  Take care!

30 acres is alot of land out there to maintain, mos likely some/alot is on woodlot and/or you plan on animals to graze ? I spent a couple weeks in the ozarks on land outside of ashland NC, very pretty in the summer, weather reminded me of Hawaii warm rain showers.  No gophers, a big plus, no need to irrigate, a big plus, LOTS more weeding of course as everything grows.  Likely insects to watchout for.  But, in all, I bet you have a sweet place to homestead !

Offline Oakie

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »

Yes, I prep alone in Oklahoma on 20 acres.
Progress seems painfully slow. As a single mom I had few resources and surviving each day seemed an accomplishment. Now that they are grown I've focused on digging ponds, cutting swales and planting trees.  I want to be a farmer when I grow up.  :)
I do wish to retire in a couple years. I'm sure I will need to re-roof my home first and want to add a sunroom/greenhouse in the worst way. A tractor is needed but not affordable as yet.
I have 300 trees and shrubs ordered for March to add to diversity. I've already planted hundreds with mixed success. I must plant enough for deer and other wildlife as well as a few straying neighbors cows as well as myself. A wildfire set me back this past year. Fruit trees do not survive well it seems.
We've had much rain the past several years after years of drought and it is exciting to have new trees survive!
I look forward to hearing your goals and accomplishments!

Offline Monika

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2019, 11:05:56 AM »
I'm also alone on 17 acres in Portugal. I moved here 2 years ago and I still have difficulties with the climate and the fact that there are many months without rain in summer. But I managed to plant ca 30 fruit trees which survived. All my berries and most of my hazelnuts died though but I will try again next year in a different location, closer to the house so I can see them and irrigate more often.

I live quite primitively, initially in a caravan (well after 2 months of living in a ruined house) and now in a room in what is supposed to become a workshop once I have the house renovated. I have grid electricity but I plan to get solar. Water is from a well but it has a high iron content so I usually don't use it for drinking. Drinking water I get from a public well in a village 3 miles away, like many people here.

I'm more or less retired, I have no debt, I own the land and I have enough savings to last me a few decades as long as I don't spend too much and as long as inflation doesn't eat all my savings. I'm keeping my eyes and ears open for some side business and I'm sure I'll come up with something sooner or later.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2019, 12:55:38 PM »
welcome Monika.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
Wow, Monika... that sounds like a very interesting project! I wish you success on your homestead...