Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 261595 times)

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #390 on: April 11, 2013, 04:12:28 PM »
Any thoughts on today's information or lack there of. Here in south Texas we are getting very little on the main media stations... Thoughts ? Theories?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #391 on: April 11, 2013, 04:55:04 PM »
Hi, jm_sol

Latest news:

1.  I paid my income tax today - I need an adult beverage.
2.  North Korea is celebrating today the one year anniversary of Kim Jong Un's appointment as ruler by whatever title he has.  Today, N. Korea said they have "powerful striking means" whenever they want to do it.
Japan and Guam still on watch.
3.  Below is the update on the Chinese virus as of today.  I rememer the last report was they were watching over 300 who had contact with sick people.  Now, they are watching 760.  It's spreading.  At the bottom of this report they still say they have no evidence at this time that it is spreading person to person.

Human infection with influenza A(H7N9) virus in China - update

11 April 2013 -As of 11 April 2013 (17:00 CET), the National Health and Family Planning Commission notified WHO of an additional 10 laboratory-confirmed cases of human infection with influenza A(H7N9) virus.

The patients include:
 a 70-year-old man from Jiangsu who became ill on 29 March 2013;
a 74-year-old man from Jiangsu who became ill on 2 April 2013;
a 65-year-old man from Zhejiang who became ill on 3 April 2013;
a 76-year-old woman from Shanghai who became ill on 1 April 2013;
an 81-year-old woman from Shanghai who became ill on 4 April 2013;
a 74-year-old man from Shanghai who became ill on 31 March 2013 and died on 11 April 2013;
an 83-year-old woman from Shanghai who became ill on 2 April 2013;
a 68-year-old man from Shanghai who became ill on 4 April 2013;
a 31-year-old man from Jiangsu who became ill on 31 March 2013; and
a 56-year-old man from Jiangsu who became ill on 3 April 2013.

To date, a total of 38 patients have been laboratory confirmed with influenza A(H7N9) virus in China; including 10 deaths, 19 severe cases and nine mild cases.

More than 760 close contacts of the confirmed cases are being closely monitored.

The Chinese government is actively investigating this event and has heightened disease surveillance. Retrospective testing of recently reported cases with severe respiratory infection may uncover additional cases that were previously unrecognized. An inter-government task force has been formally established, with the National Health and Family Planning Commission leading the coordination along with the Ministry of Agriculture and other key ministries. The animal health sector has intensified investigations into the possible sources and reservoirs of the virus.

WHO is in contact with national authorities and is following the event closely. The WHO-coordinated international response is also focusing on work with WHO Collaborating Centres for Reference and Research on Influenza and other partners to ensure that information is available and that materials are developed for diagnosis and treatment and vaccine development. No vaccine is currently available for this subtype of the influenza virus. Preliminary test results provided by the WHO Collaborating Centre in China suggest that the virus is susceptible to the neuraminidase inhibitors (oseltamivir and zanamivir).

At this time there is no evidence of ongoing human-to-human transmission.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #392 on: April 12, 2013, 10:18:34 AM »
NEW EMERGENCY PURE WATER SOURCE IN URBAN AREA

I’m calling this a NEW source of pure water because I just found out about this easy source of free water.  I want to give credit to a poster named backwoods-engineer for posting this souce of water on another website.

Let’s say you are away from home perhaps at work or other reason you are in an area where there are commercial buildings – could be a shopping area – just anywhere there are commercial buildings.   An emergency happens and you need to get home or maybe you can’t get home.  There is a free pure water source right where you are.  Always have some type of container in your car or on your person, could be an empty water bottle, anything to collect water.

You need to buy one item that is less than $10 (just ordered one for $6.49) anywhere you buy one.  There are several on Amazon (one listed below)  and I looked on the Lowes website and they have them.  I’m sure Home Depot has them.  It is a sillcock key.  What in the world is a sillcock key?

A commercial building has a water outlet on the outside of the building.  Had you thought about that?  I hadn’t.  Start looking on the outside of commercial buildings to find this outlet in order to assure yourself this is true.  That outlet is fixed so it won’t freeze in cold weather so don’t expect to see a plain exposed pipe/faucet like you have at your house outside – it may have some kind of cover on it with the heavy duty pipe inside to fit the key or have no cover but be an exposed fancy heavy duty pipe in which you fit the key.  A sillcock key will open that outlet and you have pure water.  The key you want has four sizes of key on it.  I saw one that is just one size and you don’t want that one.  One with four sizes of key guarantees you will have the right size to insert in that outlet and start water flowing.  After gathering your water, turn it off with the key.

Are you stealing water if you do this?  Technically, you are.  If the building is open, you can fill your water bottle at a water fountain inside – is that stealing?  No one would accuse you of stealing water if you filled your water bottle inside.  If the building is closed and you must have water, use the key and get it in order to stay alive until you can get home.  That amount of water would be less than a few cents worth, if that much, of water. In an emergency situation, I doubt there would be police watching building water outlets and that’s what we are talking about, an emergency.

A sillcock key is so easy to get and give you a source of emergency water.

Here’s one on Amazon made by Wolverine for $6.49 with $1.69 shipping, made of steel.  I just ordered it so I don’t have to travel to a store and hunt for it.  The gasoline to get to the store would likely be more than the cost and shipping of this item.  Keep this key in your car or in a backpack if you carry one all the time, or in your bug out bag if you keep one in your car.

http://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-PST154-4-Way-Sillcock-Key/dp/B0002YVMEM/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2013, 12:05:02 PM »
GOT MY ACT TOGETHER – MEET ME, THE MASTER GARDENER   :)

I have already said gardening is my weakest area of preparedness.  Well, I’m changing that.  My being a master gardener is a joke, but I’m making progress.  If you don’t  grow veggies, maybe my efforts will help you get started.

I have a small garden area and I have a lower back problem and I don’t bend down to the ground more than three times in a row.  I’m sure some of you have back problems, too.  We still need to grow veggies even if we have a bad back.

I have nine tomato plants (two are cherry tomatoes) in pots that are set on a large metal round table, on a metal side table, on a plastic small table, or growing in three tall clay pots sitting on the ground.   There are actual very small tomatoes on the two cherry tomatoes.  Oh, yes, one of the cherry tomato plants is growing in a potting soil bag and looks great and has tomatoes on it.  You can grow food in a bag of potting soil – put some draining holes in the bottom, cut the top and plant.   See, you just planted and it will grow.

I planted a strip of lettuce seeds (was in a little box ready to plant) in a planter box on the ground.  I used a hoe to make a row in the planter box – only needed to move a small amount of dirt to the side to make this shallow row.   Put the strip down and only ¼ inch of dirt over the strip and I was done.  That lettuce has come up and is growing well.

I have a very small plastic pot with basil in it and it’s on the big metal table and has come up.  Another little pot has a sweet pepper in it and it hasn’t come up yet but it’s only been a few days since I planted it.

NOW, FOR THE BIG ITEMS AND PREPS:

I had to make a commitment if I was going to grow food – either do it right or forget it.  I decided to do it right.  I can solve problems really well and I could solve gardening if I just studied how to do it.

I have one external problem I have to control.  The two huge oak trees just behind my garden back wall is home to squirrels and birds.  They hang around waiting to eat my produce.  Had to do something about that.  The birds eat seeds if I try to get them to grow outside.  I don’t have much sunlight on my lower house floor so starting seed inside is poor and I still have to sit them outside as soon as they are growing and then they get eaten.  I found two solutions and got them.

Greenhouse!:
I bought a greenhouse!  Wow, that must be expensive!  No, I paid $40 for it at Lowes.  It is small, put it together myself as it requires no tools (except I used a small hammer to make sure the bars were in solid).  If you are interested in this small greenhouse, go to Lowes on the web and look at this small greenhouse.  It’s not the one on Amazon.  The one at Lowes has rolling casters so you can roll it around.  It has four shelves, each shelf being 20+ inches long and 19 inches deep.  That is plenty of space to grow many seeds/plants outside and the birds/squirrels can’t get them as a heavy plastic cover is over the whole thing and there are double zippers on the front panel.  Just open the zippers and roll up the front plastic cover and attach it to Velcro at the top and you have it open to work with your seeds/plants.  When you have finished your work, lower the panel and zip the two zippers and it’s all safe from critters.

Now I have a safe place to grow many seeds.  But, there’s the row of lettuce on the ground, tomatoes in those pots, basil, green pepper, how to protect those from squirrels/birds?

Row Cover:
I bought a very large row cover.  What is a row cover?  I read a person used a row cover to keep out rodents yet sun and rain goes through the cover.  WHAT?  That was exactly what I needed for my produce not to end up in a squirrel or bird stomach.

There are different kinds of row cover and I studied them all to find the one that let sun and rain in and kept out rodents/birds.  I found it and it comes in numerous sizes.  I got a big one and here’s why – I don’t have perfect rows to lay this down over a row and be done with it.  I’ve got separate plants in pots plus that one row of lettuce.  You can cut this cover any way you want and use it any way you want.  I will cut enough to fit over the tomato plants/other plants on the various tables and on the ground.  If you have pots, cover the plants loosely with the cover and put the ends of the cover under the pot to hold it down.

Here is the cover for $18.99, 5 ft. x 50 ft (smaller sizes are there, too):
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000VBLOTE/ref=pe_175190_21431760_M3T1_ST1_dp_2

Now, I can grow seeds in a secure greenhouse and I can protect growing plants from rodents/birds.  Now, I need seeds.  (At the end of this article, I talk about a new item (for me it’s new) and it’s “growing bags”.  Don’t dig in ground dirt and hurt your back, put your plant in a growing bag and leave it there and move it around when you want. )  To seeds:

Seeds:
I got heirloom seeds from Terroir Seeds/Underwood Gardens:

http://store.underwoodgardens.com/

I know choosing seed is specific to your growing area so your choices will be different than another’s choices who lives in an area with weather different than yours.  You will note on their page, there is a section of heirloom seed for warmer weather and one for cooler weather.  Look at those choices, then look at the regular heirloom seeds in groups and make choices.  I did not buy any seeds that needed cool weather.  The temperature in Texas in the summer would be suicide for any plant that needs a cooler climate.

I do want to mention a few plants I think are exceptional for preps to have these particular plants in a long time emergency and I did get them and will plant them.  Buy them once, then save the seed for the next year unless the plant grows back itself:

Leaf celery: 
An easy bush to grow and it’s leaves taste like celery so use the leaves as real celery.  No  way I can grow real celery, but I can have leaf celery.

Wild Galapagos Tomato:  
These were found growing wild on that island.  They were in direct sun and poor soil but they grew anyway.  They want to grow.  They are smallish, have good taste, stick them anywhere and near at the end of growing season, put a tomato in the ground and another will grow the next season.  Read the directions and you will always have these wild tomatoes growing.

Evergreen Bunching Onion:
Here’s an onion that will keep making onions.  Follow the directions and you’ve got onions every year.

Alpine Strawberry:
This plant goes back to the 1700s.  It does not have runners, is a bushy plant prolific with many strawberries, plant it anywhere – on walkways, anywhere.  In warm climates, it is an evergreen.

GROWING BAGS:

Why bother with dirt on the ground that kills your back?  Use growing bags full of your favorite growing medium and plant your little plants you grew from seed, into these growing bags and leave them there – the bag is their home.  You can work with these bags on top of a table and not have to bend to the ground ‘cause you aren’t using ground planting. 

Put “growing bags” in search at Amazon and you will find various sizes from one gallon to fifteen gallon and there are several companies.  If you want handles on the bag, double check the bag you choose has handles.  Place the bags on the ground in your garden and you can pick it up and place it at waist level if you need to do something to it, otherwise just leave it in the garden. 

The bags automatically drain extra water out.  The dirt and roots stay cooler in hot climates.  You can wash the bag after it has no plant/dirt in it if you need to do that.  The bags last for years.

Before you decide on a bag, read customer comments about that bag.  I get a lot of help from customer comments.  I will get some bags once I decide what sizes I need.  Bending to the ground is just terrible for me, but I still need to grow food.  These bags are an answer.

Happy Gardening!   :)

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
« Reply #394 on: April 14, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »
Thank you much Victoria. I too am battling the back pain and gardening. Saw a neighbor who has invested in feed troughs from tractor supply or like..  They are a black rubber trough on galvanized legs. Just about mid thigh height to me.  Would be perfect... Hoping for a tax rebate to afford me.. Til then.  I hoe and hoe..stoop and bend. Crawl along ..planning the next crop in those feed troughs

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #395 on: April 14, 2013, 05:20:05 PM »
jm_sol,

I just looked at Rubbermaid feeders and this is going to cost in the hundreds even without the legs if you get more than one - did not see any with legs so maybe your neighbor put those on.  The idea is great and if you get a refund of enough to do this, I say go for it.

I saw many examples of people putting metal feeders flat on the ground and use them for raised gardening, however those still require bending over.  I am so old I remember when plants only went in the ground.  We now have choices and that's a good thing.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #396 on: April 14, 2013, 06:01:01 PM »
Report today from China regarading H7N9 virus:

"More than 1,000 dead ducks have been fished out of a river Sichuan, China."

Dear readers, we knew that would happen, didn't we?  If you didn't, go back a page or two and read:

"WHERE DO THE MAJORITY OF OUR FLU VIRUSES COME FROM AND HOW DO HUMANS CATCH  IT?  I’VE BEEN THERE AND CAUGHT IT."

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #397 on: April 14, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »
That article is on page 12.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #398 on: April 15, 2013, 11:49:01 AM »
SENATE BILL 649  SAFE COMMUNITIES, SAFE SCHOOLS ACT OF 2013

If you are a prepper, you need security and that usually means defense weapons, such as a firearm.  Your right to have a firearm of such type as you want, is under attack.  The above, I think, is the actual name of the “gun bill” to be debated this week in the U.S. Senate.  It wasn’t easy to find the actual name as senators and the press use the words, “gun bill” to identify it.  So, I think I have the right number and name.

If you saw any of the major political programs over the weekend, this bill wasn’t discussed.  What?  Of course the senators/commentators talked about the “gun bill”.  No, they didn’t.  The programs were about AN AMENDMENT to this original bill.  The amendment is the “Amendment proposed by “Mr. Manchin (for himself, Mr. Kirk, and Mr. Schumer”.  It’s called the Manchin-Toomey Bill.  It appears to have the name, “Title 1 – Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act.”  I think they want to rename the original bill (Safe Communities, etc), using this Public Safety, etc. name.  This is confusing and I could be wrong.

What I do know, if one can trust majority leader Senator Reid to do what he said, is, the Manchin-Toomey amendment will be the first item taken up when the senate begins considering Senate Bill 649.   I believe this begins tomorrow, Tuesday, April 16, 2013.

I think the possibility exists that this Manchin-Toomey amendment may totally replace the original bill and that’s why it will be taken up first.

Well, I don’t sound very sure of what is going to happen, do I?  That’s because I’m not.

The basic core of this amendment deals with background checks and puts in place wording that a national registry of firearms is not allowed.  (If you believe that will stick, I have ocean front property in Arizona to sell to you).  It is my opinion, Hussein Obama will make RULES regarding this part of the bill, giving Attorney General Eric Holder, a way to compile a national registry.

Remember the article here about veterans being prevented from having a firearm if the Veterans Administration said he couldn’t have one?  This amendment takes that power away from the VA and the Vet is once again a citizen who can’t be prevented from having a firearm unless a court decides that.  This is one good thing this amendment does.  If you are a Vet, you are getting some protection of your right to own a firearm.

What else does this amendment do?  It will require a background check for all sales of firearms, through companies and individuals and that includes sales on the internet.  Exchanges between family members is exempt from background checks.

I do believe a gun bill requiring background checks, by whatever final name it has, will pass the Senate and go to the House.

What we don’t know:
Will other amendments be put on the final Senate bill?  They are going to be brought up for a vote and that includes banning “assault” weapons and banning magazines with more than ten cartridge capacity.  It is thought these amendments don’t have a chance of passing the Senate.  I hope that is true, but I don’t trust the Senate to protect gun owners.

Many Senators don’t understand the words, “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”  “Shall not be infringed” means don’t mess with a citizen’s right to have a gun of any kind he/she wants because if you mess with the type of gun, that’s “infringement”.

Here is a truism:   Every time a political body meets, new laws will be passed.  Remember I said that.  Every political body has to pass new laws in order to have a reason to exist.  If a political body passed no laws, why would they have to exist?  They wouldn’t.  That is why you will be under new laws every year you live.  New federal laws, new state laws, new county laws, new city laws (called city ordinances).  In Texas, our legislature meets every TWO years, so we get one year with no new state laws.  They are meeting this year, so we will have new laws.  Next year, no new state laws. 

These political bodies are going to control more and more of your life every year because they must pass new laws, whether they make any sense or not.  When a person is elected to a political body, that person has a strong incentive to write a law to show he/she is doing his/her job so he/she has a better chance of getting elected next time.  Doesn’t matter what the law is, just write one.

I have thought what I would do if elected to such a body.  What I would like to do, is vote against every new law and definitely not write one.   I would only vote for a new law if it gave more freedom to the individual.  We have some bills in our Texas legislature right now that protects a gun owner, stops the federal government from trying to take our guns, and I would vote for those but no more.  The only reason those bills are there is due to the federal government trying to write new laws to take our guns or register them.  I would likely lose my next election since I wouldn’t vote for more laws and wouldn’t write one, but at least I would know I didn’t add to the excessive mountain of laws.  It’s that “do no harm” oath of doctors. 

How many more new laws will there be in two years, three years, four years, five years?  They will never stop.

I have thought about how it would be to go to a new land where no one had lived before.  It’s just land that no one owns, there are NO laws, so you can do whatever you want.  Carry a gun out in the open, shoot game of whatever kind for food without a license, fish for any kind of fish without a license, pay no electric bill, no water bill, it’s just you and the land.  You have no boss, no job except the human job of procuring food and making a shelter/home.  Which group of people in our country have done this successfully for many years – the American Indian.  When our people from Europe came here, what happened?  They made laws right away.  And, they made laws the American Indian had to follow. 

A pox on laws.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #399 on: April 17, 2013, 07:26:49 PM »
How could you have saved lives after the bombs in Boston exploded?

I'll have an article on by the end of tomorrow to explain what you need to know in such an emergency situation.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #400 on: April 18, 2013, 02:44:31 PM »
HOW TO SAVE YOUR LIFE AND OTHERS IN AN ATTACK OR OTHER DISASTER

I’m not going to sugar coat this article so your senses won’t be disturbed.   If you can’t stand the mental picture the word, “blood”,  puts in your brain, then don’t read this article.

A terrorist attack is sudden and if it blows your body completely apart, you’re dead.  This article assumes you didn’t die and are conscious.  If you are still standing – don’t.  Get as low as possible immediately and try to drag something on all sides of you or at least around your head, in case there is another wave of attack.  You want objects around you for protection and the heavier the better so the blast is absorbed by those objects and they deter shrapnel.

A body needs two working systems to stay alive.  They are the heart and adequate blood in your body.   If one of those doesn’t work, you will die quickly.   If you are conscious, likely your heart, at that moment, is working.   Immediately check your body for massive blood loss.  If blood is spurting out every time your heart beats, that is an arterial bleed and you will die in a few minutes as there won’t be enough blood in your body for your heart to pump so your heart will stop.  Try to stop or greatly lessen the blood that is pumping out of your body.  It is highly unlikely you can do that, so you will likely die.  There is one way you might be able to save yourself and that way is to have that new bandage, H&H High Pressure bandage and H&H Hard Packed Gauze.  The H&H bandage is covered on page 13 of these articles.  Remember it is a “One-Handed Hemostat for Arterial Bleeding”.  That bandage is gold in value.

The blood comes out of the heart on the left side so your left side has the strongest surge of blood in your body pushing that blood down your body.  Therefore, your left arm has a strong surge artery and your left leg has the big femoral artery in the thigh of that leg.  Put on the H&H bandage if your left leg or left arm is gushing blood.  Regular pressure will help stop bleeding from any other source, like a cut in a muscle or in soft tissue.  It is the arterial blood, that requires the intense pressure of the H&H bandage.  If your left side is okay, but there is blood draining from the right leg or arm, use the bandage there.

Now, you are going to tell me you don’t carry an H&H bandage and special gauze pack everywhere you go.  Why not?  They are condensed packed and light and they are not expensive at all, so why not have one in your purse or backpack?  If I lived in a large city, say New York or Boston or other large city, I would definitely have that bandage and gauze with me at all times.  Remember, the heart has to work and enough blood has to stay in the body to keep you alive or your heart stops.  That bandage gives you or a loved one a chance to live. 

We will have another terror attack somewhere at some time.  Will you be in the area where it happens?  That’s just it – no one knows.  What would the value of an H&H bandage have been in Boston that day as people were bleeding out from arterial blood flow?  I saw a man with just bone sticking out of his left leg starting just below where his thigh started.  It looked like a piece of pipe because there was no muscle or skin there and nothing below that bone pipe as his foot and bone with knee was gone.  He was going to die from that artery in his thigh pumping blood out if someone didn’t get there fast.

TWO TYPES OF MEDICAL TREATMENT 

One: Emergency Treatment:
There is emergency treatment to keep someone alive until that person can be taken to a hospital.  I have a light weight smallish black bag with a few supplies for emergency medicine.  This is not long term treatment and there is a big difference between the two.  My emergency bag has no antibiotic ointment or cream to put on a wound.  Why not?  Because I’m saving a life to get to the hospital where they have all that.  My concern is keeping them alive until they get there.  Do you see the difference?

One time I went on an emergency call to a house and a lady had cut her left arm really badly but the artery was not cut.  She was alert but in distress.  I pulled the skin together and put on a pressure bandage using Kerlix (not an H&H bandage as it was not required and wasn’t even available then) and her husband was taking her to a hospital for stitches because it needed that.  My job was to control the bleeding so she could get there in the best shape possible.  Decontamination of the wound would happen at the hospital.  There was a person there who said I should put on an antibiotic.  He was a fire fighter in Houston and should have known better as he was wrong but I didn’t take the time to tell him why as that is no time to argue.  That is emergency medicine – stabilize the patient and get patient to hospital.

Kerlix gauze/bandage:
In emergency medicine, time is of the essence and I don’t have any tape in my emergency bag to hold a bandage on a wound.  Why is that?  Because I use Kerlix gauze/bandage and it holds itself on as it sticks to itself.  It doesn’t have glue on it, it is the way the gauze is made that causes it to hold on to itself.  When I closed a wound using Kerlix (as I did with the lady’s cut arm), I wrapped it around the wound several times and pulled it as I did that so it would apply pressure to the wound to help stop bleeding and after I wrapped enough to my satisfaction, I just pressed the last wrap to the wrap underneath it, and it stuck.  No need to waste time by getting out tape and scissors and cutting and, and, and.  No, I just pressed to stick it together and moved on.

When I was working in an emergency room, I assisted a surgeon while he sewed up a wound.  I bandaged that with a dressing and Kerlix and asked the nurse if she wanted tape on it.  She looked at me like I was nuts, and said, “Yes.”  I explained that out in the field, we didn’t use tape.  She didn’t know that.  You see, emergency medicine protocol is not like a hospital protocol.

Three packages of original Kerlix gauze/bandage is $10.70.  One can buy one package for less money but be sure it is Kerlix and not “Kerlix Type”.  Kerlix Type is made in China and there are many on Amazon and I would not buy that thinking it is sterile even though it says it’s sterile and the quality would be the pits in my opinion.  I only trust real Kerlix.

http://www.amazon.com/Original-Kerlix-Sterile-Bandage-Rolls/dp/B00C0JRCI2/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1366310461&sr=8-15&keywords=kerlix+gauze+roll+sterile

I just bought a set of various size hemostats on Amazon.  Those are used to clamp something together, such as a vein or artery.  I’d rather have them than not have them.  (People also use them for craft projects and I’m going to use one to help me put a bow on my Yorkie’s head. If that hair isn’t held back by a bow, the hair covers her face.)

Two:  Long Term Treatment:
The patient is totally under your care since the patient isn’t going to the hospital or no hospital treatment will be available in the immediate future or the reasonable later.  In this situation, one must do whatever that wound calls for now and for the future.  This is where you need to clean the wound (use Betadine pads to clean), use wound antibiotic, close the wound with Steri-Strips or medical stapler, apply whatever dressing and bandage the wound needs and check it from day to day and if possible, leave off the bandage after three days so the wound can “dry”.  This type of treatment is what you would do most of the time as you may never be in a drastic situation where you have to do emergency medicine because no medical first responders are there or the devastation is so bad, there isn’t enough medical staff to do it.

An Exercise:
Think of various types of attacks or natural disasters that can happen and see in your mind the types of injuries that would be most likely.  When I heard the Boston bombs were low level bombs, I thought, “LEGS, BLEEDING OUT”.  I would have grabbed H&H High Pressure Bandages and hard gauze, and been out on that street. 

Now, we have another disaster and it’s not far from me, about two and a half hours.  That is the fertilizer plant blowing up at West, near Waco.  What kind of injuries are there?  There are broken bones from being thrown against something or the building collapsed and the fall broke bones, or heavy items fell on an arm or leg, breaking one or both and there could be head injuries from that falling.  There were items hitting people as these items were thrown through the air from the force of the blast. 

I heard a woman say the blast knocked her down and she crawled to an outside wall of a house to get up close to it, to be under the eave of the house as there were many objects flying through the air.  She was smart not to stand up once she was thrown to the ground.

The people on site of that plant when the blast happened, are dead and some of those are missing.  They may have been totally consumed by the fire.  Some of those are police and fire fighters as there was fire for a period of time before the big blast.

Think about where you live.  What type of businesses are around you, within maybe two miles of your house?  Could any of those blow up or could they be a target of terror activity?  If you have such, try to determine the type of injuries that would happen from that particular disaster.  Do you have what you need to respond to your loved ones in an event like that?

Be prepared.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 02:50:59 PM by Victoria »

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #401 on: April 20, 2013, 01:19:33 PM »
GUN CONTROL LEGISLATION IN THE SENATE – WHAT HAPPENED?

In a nutshell, your handguns/rifles/magazines/ammo are safe from more federal control at this time.  If your state passed severe gun control laws, that only affects your state, not other states.

Nine amendments were defeated and I’m sure a cheer went up from every gun owner as each of those was defeated.

When the votes were over, Senate Majority Leader Democrat Reid made this statement:  "We should make no mistake, this debate is not over.  I've spoken to the president, he and I agree that the best way to keep working towards passing a background check bill, is to hit pause and freeze the background check bill where it is.  We are going to come back to this bill."

Reid is speaking of the amendment by Senator Joe Manchin III, Democrat of West Virginia, which would extend background checks to the Internet and gun show sales.   Since this amendment was defeated, how can Reid bring it back up?  He can do it due to a ridiculous Senate rule.

The rule is, if the Senate Majority Leader votes against a bill/amendment authored by his own party (in this case it’s Democrat Manchin), and it fails to pass, he can bring it back to the floor later whenever he wants.

So, that amendment to extend background checks to the Internet and gun show sales will come back when Reid thinks he has enough votes to pass it.  The amendment received 55 votes (needs 60 to pass), then Reid changed his vote to “No”, so he could bring it back, therefore the final vote was 54 to pass it.  With Reid voting yes when he brings it back, he only needs 5 more votes to reach 60 to pass it.

Don’t worry about knowing when Reid brings it back.  I will know it when he does that and post it on here. 

Obama’s future plans regarding gun control:

In Obama’s speech after the legislation defeat, he made it clear he isn’t stopping until he gets control over our guns.  Here is part of his speech:

“But this effort is not over. I want to make it clear to the American people we can still bring about meaningful changes that reduce gun violence, so long as the American people don’t give up on it. Even without Congress, my administration will keep doing everything it can to protect more of our communities. We’re going to address the barriers that prevent states from participating in the existing background check system. We’re going to give law enforcement more information about lost and stolen guns so it can do its job. We’re going to help to put in place emergency plans to protect our children in their schools.  … And I see this as just round one. … I believe we’re going to be able to get this done. Sooner or later, we are going to get this right.”

I believe Obama is saying to expect him to start writing more RULES to control our guns.  I expect these RULES will be given to Attorney General Eric Holder to carry out.  Obama was furious these gun amendments didn’t pass and he blamed the NRA for putting pressure on senators so they would vote against them.  That is not the case with our Texas Senators and I’ll bet not the case for your Senators who voted against them. 

I am a member of the NRA – National Rifle Association.  They are on the front line to help keep our Second Amendment rights intact.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #402 on: April 26, 2013, 03:07:36 PM »
TRUST YOURSELF – NOT OTHER PEOPLE AND MACHINES

I have long tried to think of a simple way to explain the necessity for prepping for an emergency.  I have boiled it down to this:  If you depend on other people and man made machines to provide you with the necessities of life, you must prepare to provide yourself with whatever that is.

You see, other people and man made machines don't always work for whatever reason.

In the case of the “Shelter in Place” in Boston/Watertown, ordered by the Governor of Mass., the behavior of PEOPLE created that emergency.  If you needed milk, better have some packages of instant milk.  Took your last pill of “x” medicine the day before and hadn't already ordered and picked up a refill?  Out of diapers and none put back for an emergency?  No toilet paper and none put back for an emergency?

Remember, dependence on others and man made machines is a formula for an emergency.  A hurricane will take out electricity machines and may take out water machines.  An ice storm will take out electricity machines and maybe water machines.  Car machines would be dangerous on an icy road.

Don't trust other people and man made machines - trust yourself to provide those services - water, food, security, roof over your head, light, way to cook, way to stay warm, way to stay cool, way to treat wounds and illness, way to communicate.

TRUST YOURSELF TO PROVIDE WHAT YOU NEED TO LIVE.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #403 on: May 03, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
I'm still working on gardening.  By the end of today or sometime tomorrow, I'll have a piece on Gardening In a Small Space.  That's what I have, a smallish space of actual dirt and a large deck.  I'm turning that deck into producing food while taking into account a bad lower back.  Have a bad lower back? - I think most people do, especially after a certain age.  I will grow food one way or another because it's important to be able to grow food with heirloom seeds so they can be stored from one year to the next.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #404 on: May 04, 2013, 11:17:25 AM »
GARDENING IN A SMALL SPACE

All you master gardeners will just have to suffer through these gardening articles for those who need to grow food but are new at it and/or have a small amount of space.  Just laugh your heads off, but we will catch up with you master gardeners.

I think we all have to grow food no matter how much we have stored.  It makes sense to grow food when you can.  Many of us don’t have much space so we have to be creative to grow food – find a way to use the space we have to grow as much food as possible.  If we use heirloom seeds and save some of those seeds for the next year, we will always have seeds.

Below is what I’m doing now.  As you read, think of what you could do to have food plants growing in the space you have available.

I have the small greenhouse on the wood deck to start seeds next spring or for fall planting. 

Day before yesterday, I planted seeds in six bags of “Miracle Gro Potting Soil Mix” and placed the bags in the garden – I call that “instant raised bed growing”.   :)  If there is a problem in using this method, I’ll get growing fabric bags which I talked about in an earlier article, and put the potting mix in those.  I think that will be what I end up doing.  The fabric bags are built well and should last a long time and I don’t know what will happen to these plastic potting soil bags – whether they will hold up with the hot sun beating down day after day.

There is a difference in potting soil and potting soil mix.  I will only use the mix since it feeds the plants for six months.  Miracle Gro has two kinds and I’m using both at the moment.  The cherry tomato is in “Miracle Gro Moisture Control Potting Mix”, and it is in fantastic shape and larger than the other tomatoes and has tomatoes all over it. 

Everything I have planted except the tomatoes, are heirloom seeds.  I have studied and now know how to prepare tomato seeds to keep until the next year.  I can’t do that with the tomatoes I now have growing as they are not heirlooms.  I have planted heirloom wild tomato seeds in the ground and I don’t know if they are going to come up.  If they don’t, I’ll buy more of those and sprout those seeds in the greenhouse.  There is something growing in one of the places I planted those seeds but I don’t know yet if that is the tomatoes or weeds.

I got all the heirloom seeds from Terroir Seeds/Underwood Gardens at:  http://store.underwoodgardens.com/

The raised wood deck I have is a large one.  That deck/wood is going to grow food.  Right now the iron table out there has tomato pots on it.  There are four iron chairs and a small iron table and the little greenhouse over in an extended part of the deck.  It’s out of the way and looks nice.  In one corner of the deck is an outdoor fireplace with a cover.  The rest of the deck is bare.  Good. 

I searched for the best way to use the deck for food and found “Hydrofarm Tomato Trellis Garden”.  I ordered two of these day before yesterday.  It seems to be perfect to grow regular size tomatoes, two tomatoes to a planter.  There is a metal trellis that comes in parts and as the plant grows, add another piece of trellis on top to support the tomato plant.  The trellis will go up to four feet high to support the tomato plants.  I bought “Miracle Gro Potting Soil” for these two planters.  It takes about 40 quarts of potting mix to fill one container.  I won’t use “Miracle Gro Moisture Control Mix” in these planters as the planter has a water delivery system to water the plants from the bottom and I don’t want to screw that up by using a soil with moisture control in it.

If these planters do well, I’ll get two more next spring to plant various food plants, will be great for foods that need a trellis, and put them with the other two on the deck.  There is plenty of room for four or more of these. 

Here is the information about the planters (they are on wheels – good):

Tomato trellis garden on wheels - expands to over 4-feet tall
Includes rectangular base and planter, 3 risers with supports, and 2 side supports Convenient watering port makes watering easy
Expandable - as plants grow just add extra rings or risers
Simple to assemble - no tools required
$53.53 free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-GCTR-Tomato-Trellis-Garden/dp/B004NBZDNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1367595559&sr=1-1&keywords=Hydrofarm+GCTR+Tomato+Trellis+Garden+on+Wheels

I have some food plants growing in the garden soil and I don’t remember what I planted in these places.  I know some are squash plants and I think that is what is up.  I decided I need plant labels to stick in the ground before I get more plants out there.  I did write on the bags I put out there so I know what is in the bags.  I don’t know if that writing will fade out.  I ordered some plant labels to stick in the ground and the potting soil bags so I’ll know what is out there.  The information on these is:

Garden Helpers H168 5-1/2-Inch Plastic T-Plant Labels and Plant Marker Pen, 48-Pack, White
$11.34 free shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0078IF7BY/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I found there is special soil mix to start seeds growing plants.  I’ll need every advantage to get seeds to sprout in the greenhouse.  I got the seed starter below:

Espoma SS8 8-Quart Organic Seed Starter
12.69 free shipping

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Y0CFRA/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I had problems planting tiny seeds.  I ended up having gobs of tiny seeds in one spot.  I needed a way to separate these tiny seeds so a gob wouldn’t get dumped in one spot.  I ordered the seeder below:

Luster Leaf 3075CS Rapiclip Speedmaster Garden Seeder  $6.23 free shipping over $25.00

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000ZII2CA/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Later, I’ll post how to save heirloom tomato seed and other seeds for planting the next year.  The tomatoes take more steps to save them but it’s not difficult.

I hope what I’m doing gives you suggestions you can use to formulate a method for you to grow food anywhere you live.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #405 on: May 05, 2013, 12:03:54 AM »
I'll have an article tomorrow on what I found out today that is very distressing.  Chinese scientists have developed and are developing, deadly flu viruses that pass from human to human.  They have mixed deadly viruses that haven't passed to humans with viruses that have passed to humans but for which vaccines have been developed, creating new viruses, which if were released through accident or on purpose, would kill millions of people and there are no vaccines and it's not known if one could even be developed since this is a mixture making a totally new virus.

I'll explain more details as I get them written.  I wish this was a "possible future event" but it appears at least one such virus is already made or being made as a Chinese scientist wrote about it in a recent scientific journal.  I could not believe what I was reading.  I've already written articles about China and flu viruses but never thought I would write one like this.  We will have to discuss not only the nature of a super kill flu, but what precautions we would need to take should such a virus come here and if it goes anywhere, it will come here due to it being transmitted through the air from person to person.  As an American scientist said, it would be a world wide pandemic with millions killed.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #406 on: May 05, 2013, 12:07:05 PM »
CHINESE SCIENTISTS HAVE CREATED 127 NEW STRAINS OF INFLUENZA VIRUS

A disclaimer:  I have nothing against the Chinese people.  They are like all of us living their lives as best they can.  Some of their scientists, however, have taken steps mixing influenza viruses that put the world in jeopardy for a pandemic that would kill millions. 

This is a case of the “cat is already out of the bag”.  We didn’t know it until it was already done.  There is a Chinese scientist, Professor Chen, who, with help from her fellow scientists, mixed the H5N1 bird flu virus, which is lethal but difficult to be transmitted from person to person, with a 2009 strain of H1N1, which is easily passed from person to person.  They kept creating new strains with these two strains, until they have 127 new strains.  Five of them are likely to pass between humans as they have passed between lab guinea pigs.

These new viruses were created in a veterinary lab.  How secure is this vet lab to prevent the virus from escaping accidently or someone taking the virus out on purpose?  It is a second highest security level lab to prevent accidental escape.  American scientists do not trust this Chinese lab to prevent escape of these viruses.

Professor Chen says the reason behind this research is to know how these viruses pass between animals.  American and British scientists think this is foolhardy study with too much risk to find out nothing of importance. 

Here is a quote:  “Professor Simon Wain-Hobson, an eminent virologist at the Pasteur Institute in Paris, said it is very likely that some or all of these hybrids could pass easily between humans and possess some or all of the highly lethal characteristics of H5N1 bird-flu.  “Nobody can extrapolate to humans except to conclude that the five viruses would probably transmit reasonably well between humans,” Professor Wain-Hobson said.”

“We don’t know the pathogenicity [lethality] in man and hopefully we will never know. But if the case fatality rate was between 0.1 and 20 per cent, and a pandemic affected 500 million people, you could estimate anything between 500,000 and 100 million deaths,” he said.”

The bottom line for us, is, what happens to us if one of these five viruses is released (and there are 122 more hybrid strains in that lab).  If you recall another article I wrote recently on the transmission of a flu virus from China, it only takes one person with the virus on a plane to the United States to infect the country.  Let’s see how it actually gets here from that one person.  When I left China on the way back to the United States, I got on a plane in Hong Kong.  We flew several hours, then landed in Tokyo.  Some people got off the plane and stayed in Tokyo.

Here is the actual story of our trip from Hong Kong to Tokyo as it illustrates what would happen if a sick person with a deadly flu virus was on that flight.  We had been in the air about an hour when the man sitting next to my husband became ill.  The configuration of seating on that plane was three seats on the window sides.  My husband was in the aisle seat and I was next to him and the sick man was next to the window.  This man was having breathing problems.  We called the flight attendant and put this man in the aisle seat with my husband next to him and I was in the window seat.

The flight attendant became very upset and was useless.  I found out later, on her last flight, a person died so that explained why she was so upset – she was afraid another would die on her flight.  A call went out for a doctor and one was on the plane.  He checked the man’s rate of breathing and said he had no idea what was wrong with this man but he could be having a heart attack.  An oxygen tank with a mask was brought and my husband had the job of watching the man’s condition and making sure the oxygen mask stayed on him.

Consider if this man had one of those five new hybrid deadly flu viruses.  My husband and I would have been infected, the doctor and flight attendant infected and others on the flight would have, too.  The pilot called ahead to Tokyo so there would be medical help when we arrived.  My husband and I were stuck in our seats as it would have disturbed the man who was now in the aisle seat if we got up.

When we landed in Tokyo, all passengers were told to stay in their seats.  A medical team of men came into the plane and gathered the sick man’s passport and ticket.  The man was on his way back to the United States.  The medical personnel helped the man off the plane.  We didn’t get off the plane as this was our plane back to the states – didn’t have to change planes in Tokyo.  If this man had one of those viruses, he was now off the plane and in Japan.  Some of the others also got off the plane to stay in Tokyo.  Japan would now be infected with the virus and some of us were infected and would take it to the US.  We later found out the man had a reaction to medicine a doctor in Hong Kong gave him for THE FLU.  If it had been one of these five new ones, it was a done deal we had it.  I had the flu myself but I was staying away from everyone and not touching anything with my bare hands.

We landed in Los Angeles and all got off the plane, went to restrooms (would be infecting people while going there and in there), then entered the customs area. We would have infected people there.  Do you remember the TV series, “The Jeffersons” (moving on up)?  Sherman Hemsley was George Jefferson.  He was standing close behind me in the customs line.  I probably would have infected him.

California will be the first state to know they are infected with a deadly virus.

We got on a plane to Texas, others got on other planes going to other states in the US.  Texas and a number of other states would be infected as soon as we all got to our various states.

What do we do now to prepare for these new virus strains in case one or more gets out of the lab by accident or on purpose?  I think we will hear about California first.  If you have a doctor friend at that time, see if you can get a prescription of Tamiflu right then.  Tamiflu will be gone fast.  Also have antibiotics.  You know you can get those by getting fish antibiotics.  I got mine at http://www.fishmoxfishflex.com/index.php/fish-antibiotics.html

You will have to lock your front door and stay away from people for a period of time and I don’t know how long that will be.  We should get notices about the condition of the country by TV and radio.  I don’t know if power will go out.  It depends on whether or not employees go to work during this time.

A person told me she had to go outside in her back yard, that she couldn’t stay in the house that long period of time.  She also doesn’t live in the city, so there is no problem with her going outside.  The point is, we have to stay away from people and if you can do that in your yard then do it.  Going to a grocery store is out.  Don’t do it.  I think you will have to have enough supplies to last several months.  Consider your stored supplies right now.  If you knew, today, California was infected, would you be okay to “shelter in place” several months starting right now?  If not, fix that.

Every scientist outside China, thinks making all these new strains was a terrible mistake.  They are also concerned about the safety of this lab.  I think our only recourse is to be ready to shut ourselves away if this new danger happens.  You have to protect your family because no one else will.  Remember, we have provided/paid for, a bunker with food, water, and a doctor for President Obama and his family.  He is safe and we should make ourselves safe as we are as important as he is.

Think about the condition of your preps and this new danger.  Do what you have to in order to feel comfortable you and the family are protected.  It’s physical medical insurance.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #407 on: May 05, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »
Very interesting, Victoria. It reminds me of the movie "Contagion". (Netflix, iirc).

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #408 on: May 05, 2013, 08:46:31 PM »
"It reminds me of the movie "Contagion". (Netflix, iirc)."

Lvs, I also thought of pandemic type movies and thought, "This is real life, not a movie."  China can't stop a flu virus now from developing and leaving the country.  I played back in my mind that sick man on that flight and he was next to us and we were stuck in those seats next to him. 

I agree with the scientists who don't trust that lab not to accidentally let one of the fatal ones get loose and one of the scientists thinks the other 122 could also go to humans.  This is a terrible act on the part of the Chinese scientists and we can do nothing about it except have a plan in place to deal with it.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #409 on: May 07, 2013, 01:18:49 PM »
Toilet paper takes up too much room to store. 

I’m researching a better option than toilet paper that I think is even cheaper than toilet paper and wouldn’t take up much room to store.  We are so used to rolls of toilet paper that we buy it -  we have always bought it.  When we think of prepping, “store toilet paper” is right at the top of the list.  I’m checking now for the cheapest price for another option and I’ll have this written by tomorrow.  I know I’m going to take this new route for storage.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #410 on: May 07, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
STORING TOILET PAPER TAKES UP TOO MUCH ROOM – THERE IS ANOTHER WAY

I am giving up toilet paper.  It takes up too much room to store and I don’t have enough space to store enough.  Why should I use toilet paper when I can pay less and clean better?  Does it bother you that toilet paper costs so much and the rolls don't go as far as they used to?  (Actually they make the cardboard roll larger so the size looks the same).

OK, in the potty room, we have a universal understanding of what No. 2 is and what No. 1 is, right?  :)

I can spend $28.79 at Walmart and do all this:  No. 2:  432 times using a moist wipe afterward that is flushable.  Being a lady, I blot after No. 1 as most women do.  I can blot 660 times using a new dry tissue every time (drop that in the bathroom trash can just like you do a Kleenex tissue now).  The above items take up very little room to store.   Using toilet paper would cost more for that many times and you have to find the storage space for the toilet paper.

If I double the above, spend another $28.79, the totals are: No. 2:  864 times.
Blotting tissue for No. 1:  1,320 times.  Altogether, it still doesn’t take much room to store.

I’ll use now the toilet paper I have stored (which wasn’t enough), and store the above items for a short or long term emergency.

If you add up the cost for each of your family members, I think you will find it costs more to use toilet paper (no matter the length of time for which you are storing) and you have to have a large storage area for it.

The cheapest price to do this is at Walmart:

Equate Flushable Fresh Scent Wipes for Adults, 144 count – $7.94, buy 3 for $23.82 = total of 432 uses.
Inside are individual packets  of 48 wipes each which can be carried for travel if needed.

Angel Soft Tissue (like Kleenex): $4.97 for 4 boxes of 165 each = 660 tissues.

Maybe you want to stay with toilet paper storage – I’m not.  :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #411 on: May 09, 2013, 07:34:33 PM »
Very interesting, Victoria... I know the flushable wipes are not an option for those of us with a septic system (correct me if I am wrong, but I think they are a no-no with septic). I am the only female in this house... and all the boys are very liberal with the TP. Too bad it isn't a good option for our family. You are absolutely right about how much space it takes, though. I know some preppers keep old telephone books to use for that purpose in case of hard times.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #412 on: May 09, 2013, 08:00:13 PM »
"I know the flushable wipes are not an option for those of us with a septic system (correct me if I am wrong, but I think they are a no-no with septic)."

I have numerous large phone books as a last ditch method but you know that isn't going to clean very well at all.  I'll use the wipes and tissues and if we go through that, then the phone books are last. 

The Equate wipes are septic safe.  Here is the info. on the wipes:

"Equate wipes are designed for personal hygiene purposes and may be used by men or women to reduce irritation, maintain cleanliness and promote freshness. These Fresh Scent Flushable Wipes are offered in an economical 144 ct pack that is divided into three 48-ct portable, reusable packs for your convenience. These flushable moist wipes break apart after flushing like toilet paper, reducing the chance for blockage at home and in waste management systems. Equate wipes are more than 95 percent biodegradable and constructed of 95 percent renewable resources. These Fresh Scent Flushable Wipes are hypoallergenic, alcohol free and are sewer and septic safe and are suitable for traveling. These Equate Flushable Moist Wipes are cool and soothing for delicate areas.

Equate Flushable Fresh Scent Wipes, 144 count:
•7.0 x 5.5 in (17.7 x 13.9 cm)
•Breaks apart after flushing
•Hypoallergenic; alcohol free
•Perfect for your vehicle or for traveling
•Cool and soothing for delicate areas
•95% biodegradable
•Made with 95% renewable resources
•Contains 3-48 ct portable reusable packs"

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #413 on: May 09, 2013, 08:15:40 PM »
Ah... thanks for the info. I haven't checked in a long while, so it appears things have changed.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #414 on: May 17, 2013, 08:29:31 PM »
WHAT IS THE CONDITION OF YOUR PREPS?

We have an IRS problem, a Benghazi problem, and a Justice Department secret taking of reporter information problem.  Distrust of our government abounds.  But, what about you and your preps?  We have tornados happening, some bad ones recently in Texas,  and hurricane season starts in June (yes, this is May).

We’ll talk about preps as our country flounders in these problems in which we have little input.  We can control what we do, so we will.  I should have this posted by tomorrow evening at the latest.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #415 on: May 17, 2013, 10:59:23 PM »
good point. With all the assclownery going on in the govt branches (all three), it only adds stress to dwell on it too much. Better to make positive steps to help yourself and your family get prepared for whatever comes.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2013, 05:09:05 PM »
WHAT IS THE CONDITION OF YOUR PREPS IN THESE PERILOUS TIMES?

Do you have a “bug out bag”? 
What if you have to get out of your house area really fast and you can’t use your car?  You need to get to a place of safety so what needs to be in that bag?  A bottle of water for each family member.  Some already prepared food items, such as easy open cans of prepared tuna salad and crackers.  Energy bars. That will work until you can get to a place of safety.  First aid items in case someone gets a cut and you need to stop bleeding and put on a bandage.  Just those items will be enough to get you somewhere safe.

There were severe tornados in Texas one evening several days ago and people were killed and injured.  In one place, homes were flattened and of course, power was out.  There was debris from houses in the streets and trees down in the streets so a car couldn’t get through that area. 

A man had two young daughters less than six years old and wanted to get them out of there to a safer place as destroyed homes were on his street; his house wasn’t destroyed and he could stay there himself but wanted the small daughters out of there.  He knew where he was going but he couldn’t get them there by car.  He grabbed his bug out bag and the daughters and went outside.  They started walking and in the street was a torn up body with the intestines strung out on the street.  He told his daughters to turn their heads as he didn’t want them to see that destroyed body.  He had trouble himself with the sight of the body now in his head because he had never seen anything like that.

Are you prepared to leave your house fast right now?  Have you thought about what you might see if destruction of any kind was close to your house?  I have always said mental practice beforehand helps deal with a real situation.  If you can’t stand seeing a cut finger, you need to get over that.  In a serious situation where people are hurt, you aren’t going to live long if you can’t adjust to seeing damaged dead bodies.  You will be stuck in place, can’t act, and that will likely get you killed.  Your job is to get to safety so survey the area for live threats and ignore dead bodies.  Keep your mind on the goal, getting your loved ones to safety, thinking about your route out of there, not the destruction you see.  I hope we never have to leave our house but bad things happen sometime.

If your area is not prone to tornados, there has never been one close to you, that is a good thing.  I went through tornado warnings last week before these latest ones hit south of Dallas.  We don’t have basements here as our water table is too close to the surface.  Dig a hole here and you get a water well.  If a warning pops up on the TV, I switch to the weather channel and keep it there to watch those warnings and the radar to see how close it or them, are.  There is a prepared backpack I keep in the downstairs bathroom.  That has everything I might need for three days.  If my phone rings with an automated call from city emergency, I know it’s too close and may hit me, and I take two big cushions off a couch into that bathroom and get my Yorkie and shut us up in the bathroom.  More people die of brain injury than any other reason in a tornado.  In that bathroom in the cabinet under the sink, is a motorcycle helmet.  I have put that on several times when the threat was severe.

If tornados come your way, helmets will protect yourself and your children from brain injury death.  Nothing could have helped that body that was hit by something and totally destroyed.

Are you in hurricane territory? 
I am 100 miles directly north of Galveston.  If a hurricane comes in there, it’s coming to me and has a number of times.  It’s that time of year to think about your hurricane preps.  I always have 40 gallons of Ozarka water jugs and they are made to stack on top of each other so they don’t take much room to store.  One of the best preps I have for a hurricane (or any disaster) is the food grade WaterBob to put in a bathtub and fill it with 100 gallons of good water.  There is a pump with it to take out water when you need it.  You can get one for $21.95 at the below link.  If you want one, get it now because they run out every year when hurricane season starts.

https://www.waterbob.com/Order.do;jsessionid=12D361BE3CB462BD429DA28096DF8F77?forward=order

The toilet paper solution if you don’t have space for huge amounts of toilet paper storage:
For about $54, I now have enough large potty wipes and facial tissue for four people for a year.  It all fits in a box that is 16 inches x 14 inches x 18 inches tall.  The facial tissue is for women to “blot” when just urinating.  The total number is 1,564 potty wipes and 1,320 tissues.  The cheapest price for these is at Walmart:

Equate Flushable Fresh Scent Wipes, sold in packages of 3 (48 in each pack) is 144 wipes per package. Each package $3.97, buy 11 packages = $43.67 is 1,584 large wipes. That is 1,584 trips to potty.  These wipes are safe for septic tanks.

Angel Soft Everyday Facial Tissue, 165 count each box, package of 4 boxes, 2 of them - is 1,320  tissues (put these in the trash as you do with regular facial tissues)  = $9.94
Total cost of wipes and tissues, $53.61. 

If you have taken care of having stored water and bathroom necessities, how is your food storage? 
Do you need to add more instant milk?  What else?  I recently bought some non-sugar instant pudding packages.  Add instant milk and swish it until it thickens.  That is a fast non-sugar dessert and most people like pudding – chocolate and vanilla.  It also comes in the sugar kind.  When you have no power, you still have pudding!   Did you eat all the canned tuna over the winter?  Replace it.  Canned chicken?  Canned chili?  Canned ham like Dak?  Spam if you like it?  Canned roast?  Canned salmon? 

How is your garden growing?
I have veggies growing in the small dirt area of the garden.  Tomatoes in pots are ripening now.  After experimenting and having trouble with squirrels and birds attacking my food that is planted in the dirt, I am going to container growing completely.  I’ll use the material grow bags (we covered those in an article) in the dirt garden and cover with bird netting to keep out birds and squirrels.  If you plant food and critters eat it, there is no point. 

Dirt growing puts plants at the mercy of insects in the dirt/ground.  Plus, that dirt has to have fertilizer added, dig up the dirt, etc.  – it’s just a hassle I’m not doing when it doesn’t have to be that way.  (And digging in dirt would destroy my lower back).  Using potting soil “mix” in containers defeats the insects, and the “mix” (Miracle Gro), has fertilizer in it to feed the plant six months.  I need to look into fertilizer that could be added to potting soil mix the next year.  That would be a bag or a jug, do not know which.  I would keep a year’s worth of fertilizer for that purpose.

I’ll use big containers on the large deck.  I have two and will get more.  These have enough depth to grow large tomato plants and root food such as Idaho potatoes, sweet potatoes, and carrots.  You see, the deck is over twice as big as the little bit of dirt garden.  The wood deck has to grow food.  I’ll bunch the big containers together and put bird netting over them – squirrels and birds have to grow their own.   :)  I have one big package of unopened bird netting I got a couple of years ago and another that has been opened and used and pieces cut out of it.  Well, I just looked at the bag of net with pieces cut out and can scratch that as being of benefit.  No large pieces are left.

The large unopened package is great (I had forgotten exactly what I got).  It is Dalen Bird-X, 28 feet x 28 feet.  That will cover the deck containers with net left over.  For the dirt garden with the bags sitting on top of the dirt, I’ll need netting about 12 ft. wide by maybe 18 ft. to allow for raising it in the center, for the dirt garden area.  I just put bird netting in search at Amazon and there is a large number on there of all different sizes.

The large growing containers are here:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-GCTR-Tomato-Trellis-Garden/dp/B004NBZDNG/ref=sr_1_1?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1368899139&sr=1-1&keywords=tomato+trellis+garden+on+wheels

One more thing about gardening:
I’m evaluating foods to grow.  Which foods are the most important in nutrients to keep a body alive?  Those will be the foods I grow.  I know I also need fruit with those foods and somehow/somewhere strawberries and blackberries are going to grow.  Did you know there are now corn plants to be grown on a deck in containers?  They are actually named “Deck Sweet Corn”.  When I have this survival list of foods worked out, both a spring and fall crop so fresh food will be available most of the year, I’ll post that and tell you where you can get Deck Sweet Corn – it’s all sold out for this season (it’s a new plant this year I think).  The three foods that kept early settlers going was to plant together, corn, beans, and squash.  The bean vines wrapped around the corn and strengthened the corn stalk, and the stalk shaded the squash planted in front of the corn.   Isn’t history interesting and informative?  I will plant those three foods together just like the settlers did.  If it kept them alive, it will keep us alive.  I work on this research every day.  I’m going to do this and you can, too.

How is your security?
Do you need ammo?  Good luck finding any.  If you search websites every day that sell ammo, you will luck into ammo for sale and if you need it, get it that moment, because it will be gone fast, within minutes or a few hours.  By doing that, I’ve got enough.

Homeland Security has multi-millions of hollow point rounds of almost every caliber.  Why they need millions of hollow point rounds for a 22 LR rifle is beyond me.  In Boston, they were using their standard “assault” rifles – theirs are fully automatic, truly military style.  I wonder if you noticed our military was also used when they were searching for the bomber.  Did you think the military didn’t operate on United States soil – against US citizens?  Think again.  The military has changed some wording recently and Obama can use them on our soil against us whenever he wants.

Do you think our military and other law enforcement  wouldn’t act against citizens like you?  Did you see families in Boston having to come out of their houses with their hands on their head and rifles pointed at them?  Then, the guys with the rifles searched their houses without a warrant.  My friends, see to your own security needs – one day you may need them.  I gather there weren’t many citizens there who had guns.  They had a killer loose and nothing to defend themselves against that killer.

If you can, move to Texas.  We have jobs and people from the north and west, think California there, plus those in severe gun control states, are moving to Texas as are gun manufacturers.  Someone said to me maybe the liberals in California were coming to Texas.  I said I didn’t think they would since they hate our conservative guts and they hate guns.

Republicans, these independent thinkers like you and me, run our state.  Our legislature is in session, and we are cutting down the federal government in numerous laws we are passing.    We also cut back the number of class hours you have to take to get a concealed carry license.  We want more people licensed to carry, not less like some states.  By the time this session is over, students can have concealed carry on college campuses.  Once that word gets out, a killer will think twice before going onto a college campus.  And, if he does anyway, he will be dead shortly.  Our public schools will also have persons armed.  If you want to commit suicide by school, try getting in our schools.

Evaluate your preps in every area.  Get ready for tornados, hurricanes, floods, power outages,
terrorist attacks,  cell phone/GPS outages from sun spots (just read those are getting worse), illness, then HAVE A PARTY and don’t worry. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #417 on: May 19, 2013, 07:42:37 AM »
Victoria... good timing on reminding folks to prepare for weather events. I will be watching to see how your container garden works for you. We use raised beds to garden here. Many times in a yard, a traditional garden is so difficult to keep free of bermuda grass and weeds. Out where we are, there are pesky ground squirrels, so we lined the garden beds with chicken wire before adding any dirt. This is our first year at this location, so the results are unknown this first year. I will say that my potatoes are looking beautiful. I had a half bag of potatoes that were starting to sprout just about the time I was wondering if I could plant anything yet, so...

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #418 on: May 19, 2013, 08:27:15 AM »
Lvs,
I had to educate myself about new ways to garden.  I grew up in a time where all plants were planted in the ground.  I didn't know what a raised bed was.  I went to see a friend in the Texas hill country and she had raised beds.  Then, I started learning about new ways to grow and what was available that would help me grow food.  I studied potting soil and potting soil mix.

I didn't know what compost was - I knew it was good for plants, but what was it?  I researched composters because I don't have room to have a compost pile on the ground.  The composter will be here tomorrow (Monday) or the next day.  I've got leaves swept up in piles and those will go in the composter instead of putting them in bags and carrying them to the dumpster.  That will make it easier to get rid of leaves and make something good out of them.

Successful gardening takes knowledge of how plants grow and what they need to produce well.  Everything I grow is from heirloom seeds and I have read how to save those seeds including tomato seeds.

I'll make updates as I put this project together. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »
Tornados:

If you live in Oklahoma, I hope you missed damage from one yesterday.  If you were anywhere close to a tornado area, you don't have power. 

Oklahoma and states north of there are expected to face the same tornado danger today.  If you are in those states, I urge you to buy motorcycle or other hard helmets TODAY for yourself and the rest of your family.  Protect everyone's head.

At one time, I studied safe places to be in the home in case of a tornado.  I'm speaking of not having a basement or room that has no windows.  If you are in your living room, there is a safe place directly behind a sofa.  If you crouch behind a sofa, you won't get hit by falling debris.  I watched the film on that and falling objects like boards or the ceiling, will hit the top of the sofa and be deflected, missing that spot.  Plaster yourself as low as you can get and as close to the back of the sofa as you can get.  I watched debris fall as they did those experiments, and that spot was safe.

I used that spot when I was in a house where all rooms had windows, even the bathroom had a window skylight on the ceiling.  I got in that place behind the sofa and had my Yorkie at that time with me.  The Yorkie made no sound at all and was completely still.  She knew we were in trouble.  That house was set up on piers so air could get under that house.  I was afraid it would be lifted up.  I was in that tornado as the sound was like a train.  The house stayed on the ground but the roofing was taken off.  The windows stayed intact.  At that time, I had no helmet so my head was not protected.  It was after that experience I got the helmet.

Stay safe today.