Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 263339 times)

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #450 on: June 24, 2013, 12:24:18 PM »
GETTING OIL OUT OF BLACK SUNFLOWER SEEDS WITHOUT USING OIL PRESS

If you have no way to refrigerate the oil (lasts in fridge about one month), don’t grind all the seeds at one time.  When you need the oil, grind and heat some seeds then to give you a little oil, keeping the rest of the seeds for when you need more oil. 

How long can you keep the whole seeds before they go bad and how do you store them to make them last the longest?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #451 on: June 24, 2013, 12:28:22 PM »

"How long can you keep the whole seeds before they go bad and how do you store them to make them last the longest?"

That's a good question and I'll find that out right now. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #452 on: June 24, 2013, 01:50:00 PM »
SHELF LIFE OF SUNFLOWER SEEDS

I looked at numerous ratings on the shelf life of sunflower seeds so I could determine the most reliable numbers for shelf life.

The only numbers I can find are for commercially bagged sunflower seeds.  These seeds would have to go from the Sunflower fields to processing, get bagged, then shipped to retail markets.  The “best by” date is printed on the bags.  We want to know how long past the best by printed date, should we use them and use that date for our own seeds we collected from our Sunflowers. I found these dates and believe them to be as accurate as we can get.

It is my understanding, as long as the seeds are on the flower in your garden, they are fresh.  Once the flower falls off the plant, or the seeds fall off the flower, or you harvest them, the shelf life of the seeds begin.  When you harvest your seeds, for the longest shelf life, put them in an airtight container to prevent them from being exposed to more oxygen.  This will prolong the shelf life.  Since these seeds have oil in them, you are going to know if the seeds have spoiled by the smell.  It is the same smell rancid oil has.  If the seeds smell bad you are going to know it and dump those seeds.

The following numbers assume you stored the seeds in air tight containers as these numbers represent seeds sealed in their commercial bags, not out in open oxygen.

Use Past Printed Date      Use Past Printed Date
                                         In Your Pantry              In Fridge/Freezer
Raw Sunflower Seeds         2-3 months                        1 year
Roasted - Shelled               3-4 months                        1 year
Roasted – In Shell              4-5 months                        1 year

If we are in a long power outage situation, and you don’t have refrigeration, your use time will be the pantry time and this assumes the seeds are in airtight containers in the dark and as cool as possible.  Light, oxygen, and heat are the enemies of most foods.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #453 on: June 24, 2013, 01:59:42 PM »
A note on Sunflower seed shelf life:

If you store the seeds as you do some foods, in Mylar bags with oxygen absorbers, you will surely extend the life of the seeds past the dates given.

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #454 on: June 24, 2013, 05:27:34 PM »
Thanks Victoria!

I was trying to figure out if you could save them and use them throughout the year for oil until the next year's harvest was ready.  It sounds like you can - as long as you keep them out of the air and the light.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #455 on: June 24, 2013, 05:39:11 PM »
Ms. Albatross, Those dates I posted would be past the date on a commerical bag so you are seeing the minimum time they would be good.  Let me find how long a commerical bag is good before it gets to that "best by" date.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #456 on: June 24, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »
MORE - SUNFLOWER SEED SHELF LIFE

I read most everything on the National Sunflower Association website (link below).  More than you ever wanted to know about Sunflowers is there.  A scientific study was done in 1997 to determine the shelf life of roasted kernels.  Note that is kernels, not seeds.  There is a chart that shows a “kernel”, raw, not roasted, has a shelf life of one year.  A roasted kernel does not have that length shelf life unless it is sealed with low oxygen.

That study does not includes the shelf life of a seed, but if a raw kernel, more open to oxygen than a seed, has a shelf life of one year, then the seed, that is the cover of a kernel plus the kernel, should last that year, too, especially if sealed with low oxygen.  Specifically, the study showed, “low oxygen packaging can prolong shelf stability of roasted sunflower kernels for a full year.”

Other information on this website:  A Sunflower is ready to pick when the back of the Sunflower turns a banana color, then turns brown.

Before a flower opens, the bud follows the sun.  When the flower is completely open, it faces east and stays facing east.  Think about that when you plant Sunflowers so you can place them for the best advantage of seeing the flowers in their permanent direction which is east.  The information before was that the flower always followed the sun, but that is incorrect as it stops turning when fully open.

The National Sunflower Association link is below:

http://www.sunflowernsa.com/default.asp

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #457 on: June 30, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »
YOUR SAFETY - PREPARE FOR THE END OF THE TRIAL

Surely you don’t have to ask which trial?  Wherever you live in any state, no matter the outcome of the trial, there are Tweets and Facebook entries which strongly suggest there may be unrest and riots across the country.

I recall it was suggested by the judge that the trial would last about two weeks – I think three weeks is more likely so that would mean two weeks to go.  Gather whatever supplies you would need for a week and two weeks would be better.  We don’t know what the response of some of the public will be.  I have read some of the messages people are writing on the net and perhaps these are just idle threats, but we should prepare in case there is trouble. 

Be watchful and know when the verdict comes down.  Be aware of your surroundings until you know how your area is reacting, or not, to that verdict.  It will be broadcast everywhere as soon as it happens.  It’s possible groups are already making plans to react no matter the verdict.  Don’t think only a not guilty will result in violence.

The tensions about this case appear to be country wide, not just in Florida.  The internet gives people the ability to immediately connect to others anywhere in the country.  Since I’m older, I remember when the only way to contact someone was a letter or a long distance phone call that was expensive.  I remember when one had to read a newspaper for news and/or listen to a news broadcast on the radio in the evening.  Yes, that was before television – I am really old.  Those days are gone and instant communication across the world is commonplace. 

I want you to be prepared and safe when this trial is over.  I won’t leave my house until I know my town is not reacting negatively.  You do the same – don’t go into town until you know your town/city is safe. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #458 on: July 09, 2013, 04:08:59 PM »
HEADS UP!

ZIMMERMAN'S ATTORNEYS SAY THEY WILL LIKELY WRAP UP THEIR CASE TOMORROW, WEDNESDAY, JULY 10, 2013

Unless something unexpected happens, this case will go to the jury tomorrow.  Be aware, check the news tomorrow so you will know where this case stands and keep tuned occasionally so you will have an idea when the verdict may be announced.

I just read an article that the city of Sanford law enforcement is preparing for trouble.  Due to ease of information sharing, public unrest may/could happen across the country no matter the verdict.

Be cautions and evaluate your area after the verdict is read.  As soon as it is, I will post it here.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #459 on: July 10, 2013, 08:02:57 AM »
Thanks, Victoria... I am not too concerned about its ramifications in my region, but hope you are safe.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #460 on: July 12, 2013, 01:49:38 PM »
ZIMMERMAN TRIAL HAS GONE TO JURY - VERDICT WATCH

I'll report as soon as there is a verdict.  I just saw a short film of people with signs gathering on grass somewhere in the area of the courthouse.  That went by so fast, I didn't get a good look at the signs or people.  Hopefully all groups who gather anywhere in the country will be peaceful.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #461 on: July 13, 2013, 08:11:02 PM »
ZIMMERMAN FOUND NOT GUJILTY!

Be safe wherever you are.  Stay aware of your surroundings.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #462 on: July 15, 2013, 10:31:09 AM »
DO YOU HAVE A BUCKET?

I'm working on this article,  will post it later today or tomorrow morning.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #463 on: July 16, 2013, 07:59:35 AM »
DO YOU HAVE A BUCKET?    DO YOU HAVE A JAR OR TUBE OF VASELINE?

As most of you know, I am putting together a container garden on my back deck. Two days ago, I was working out there and needed a bucket.  I go in the small outside storage room to get a bucket.  I was not the outdoor type until I had to do this myself.  I thought we had buckets - doesn't everyone have buckets? There was one blue bucket completely split apart - it was junk and I had no bucket. 

So, the next day I'm in Walmart and pass cleaning supplies and there are buckets.  I bought two buckets with handles, 10 qt. buckets, at about $2 a piece.  Two, one dollar bills will not hold water or soil or anything.  If there were no buckets to buy, how much would these two buckets be worth?

Do you think you have one bucket or more?  When is the last time you looked at your bucket or buckets? Are you sure it or they are still working buckets?

I had a small fever blister on the outside of my lip.  It is healing but the skin was dry and bothered me.  Went in downstairs bathroom as I remembered there was a tube of Vaseline in there that we used in dealing with some of my husband's dry skin from having radiation. 

I couldn't find the tube of Vaseline.  Maybe I took it upstairs to put it with other medical supplies.  No, it wasn't there.  Back to the downstairs bathroom, maybe I put it in the cabinet under that sink.  Yes, there it was.

I thought I had a small jar of Vaseline as well but it didn't turn up in looking for the tube.  I had one tube of Vaseline that wasn't full.  What would a tube or jar of Vaseline be worth if none could be had?   The next time I go to the drug store, I'm buying a few jars and tubes of Vaseline.

My buckets and Vaseline revelation metaphorically translates into every supply you think you have.   How long have your supplies been stored - both outside and inside?  Have they split or spilled or dried up?  When did you last check your batteries – are they dead and need replacing if they are not rechargeable?  How long has it been since you considered your medical supplies and actually looked at them?  Do you even know where some of them are?

Have you used up some household item you would need if it/they can’t be bought anymore?   What about outside?  Have you used up oil you need to keep your tools working?  Do a visual check of everything you need to have outside to be sure it is there and it works.

Do a mental check about what you must have if you can’t get that anymore.  Then, do a visual check of those items to see if they are still there or need to be bought.

Use some of your money to assemble what you must have to live as well as possible on your own.  Then you know you have those supplies and if they triple in cost or aren’t available anymore, you spent your money well.

nelson96

« Reply #464 on: July 16, 2013, 08:21:57 AM »
“Routine and predictable days are the breeding grounds for complacency.”
 ~ Wayde Goodall

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #465 on: July 16, 2013, 08:54:06 AM »
"“Routine and predictable days are the breeding grounds for complacency.”
 ~ Wayde Goodall"

nelson96, you went straight to the problem - excellent reply.  Goodall capsuled in one sentence what I did and I expect others do the same.  I made an assumption, forgetting change always happens to everything - even our supplies.  I was complacent thinking all was well.  What happened has heightened my awareness so it won't happen again.  Thanks for replying.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #466 on: July 18, 2013, 07:54:40 AM »
It's true, isn't it, Victoria? We have been accustomed to peace, prosperity, plentiful supplies available in all the stores... As we move into our new home, I'll be taking a good look at all our stocked up items and seeing what is missing.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #467 on: July 18, 2013, 09:17:48 AM »
The Fuseau Sunflower grows to TEN FEET tall, and each plant has about TEN “tubers”. 
I've got a note to get these when they become available. Have several other sunflower seeds as well. Wondering if they would cross pollinate if they were planted near the fuesau? If so I'll make sure to plant them elsewhere.
Hopefully you've had plenty of rain as I have in Texas. Still planting anything here in July?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #468 on: July 18, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »
"Wondering if they would cross pollinate if they were planted near the fuesau? If so I'll make sure to plant them elsewhere.   Hopefully you've had plenty of rain as I have in Texas. Still planting anything here in July?"

Good question, I'll research that after I write this.  Come next spring I will plant three kinds so we need to know if they might cross.  Remember the tuber Sunflowers will overtake the plot where they are planted so you don't want them planted in with vegetables.

Had lots of rain and that includes yesterday.  I have some pellets to put down in the garden to repel squirrels from eating everything.  Can't put those down until rain goes away.  Yorkie can't be around the pellets so have to stick a small wire fence in front of garden to keep her out and got that yesterday and tried to punch it in the ground when there was a break in the rain but the ground was so loose it wouldn't stay stuck - had wire pins to keep it in the ground but they came out, too.  Have to wait until it dries some to get that up.

I grew some tomato plants from seed and just transplanted those in a large tomato planter on the deck.  Grew three Sunflower plants from seed (the kind that produces striped seed to eat), and just transplanted them into grow bags.  They should be planted in the spring but I don't care - just wanted to see if I could grow them and they would keep growing until they matured since our fall/winter comes so late.

I will plant a fall garden and that planting will come in August.  All the plants will be in grow bags or hard plastic tomato big planters plus one separate hard plastic container for one tomato with a round central support for the tomato - I'm planting Zucchini in that to see if planting squash in a container stops moths/borers to develop that murder the plant. 

I've decided, since plants are living organisms, if bugs/squirrels/birds kill them, it's MURDER.

I've found a new squash that is resistant to disease/bugs and it grows very long.  It's almost an all year food.  Can eat it green in spring/summer or leave it and it turns tan as winter approaches and then it's like a Butternut winter squash.  Can't beat that for a long term crop.  I'll write about that squash now, include what I think is the best place to order the seed and then check on cross pollination of Sunflowers.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #469 on: July 18, 2013, 11:08:07 AM »
I have some pellets to put down in the garden to repel squirrels from eating everything.
Would be interested in those squirrel pellets as well. Have armies of those pesky critters.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #470 on: July 18, 2013, 11:14:22 AM »
ITALIAN SQUASH, TROMBONCINO

(Just read your post. Will put pellet info. on after this.)

Squash bugs don’t like this squash and it’s resistant to disease.  It has been compared to Zucchini in taste.  Planted in spring, one can eat it when it’s green or leave it in the garden and it turns a tan color in the fall and becomes a winter squash like Butternut Squash.  That is a very long eating period, almost a year.

If you grow it so the squash is on the ground, it will curl.  If you grow it so the squash hangs down, it will be straight.  If you click on the link below, you will see it hanging down.  One squash will grow to feed a lot of people as it may grow to two and a half feet long.  You can eat it long before it gets that long.

If you don’t care for squash, if there was no food to be had, you would like squash.

One packet has 25 seeds and it’s $2.50.  That is a bargain to begin to have this squash.  Save seeds from the squash you grow and have your own seeds from then on.  I will grow mine in containers that have a support in the middle of the containers for the squash to hang.

This squash is described by Bountiful Gardens as:
“60 days. Vining. We have had several requests for this traditional Italian squash with a long neck and bulbed end. This one is C. maxima, and has the richer flavor and better keeping ability of that species. Buon appetito!. Likes a trellis fence, or other support. C $2.50”

http://www.bountifulgardens.org/prodinfo.asp?number=VSQ-5469#.Uegb1owo5jp

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #471 on: July 18, 2013, 11:27:33 AM »
Plantskydd - Rabbits & Small Critters Organic Repellant 7lbs.

This is the large bag.  If you put the name in search, a smaller bag will come up.  Except for one, customer comments are good.

It’s an interesting bag as you open the end and that exposes a shaker.  Hold the other end by the handle provided and shake out the pellets.  You must not let pets get the pellets.  That is why I have to put a small wire border around the garden area so my Yorkie can’t get in there.

http://www.amazon.com/Plantskydd-Rabbits-Critters-Organic-Repellant/dp/B004S6EQ1G/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #472 on: July 18, 2013, 12:49:23 PM »
Re: Tromboncino.. I grew this when we lived in Ft. Worth... none of my other squash survived. This one also was attacked by the vine borers, but it continued to vine faster than the borers could kill it. Jack Spirko was also growing this at the time. He shared one of his large squash with me... I saved the seeds and planted them this year... the plant is looking good.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #473 on: July 18, 2013, 12:54:43 PM »
"I saved the seeds and planted them this year... the plant is looking good."

That's great.  I ordered two packages of those.  Could you not eat one and see if it does turn tan in the fall and becomes a winter squash?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #474 on: July 18, 2013, 01:33:06 PM »
CROSS POLLINATION OF SUNFLOWERS

Keep the Fuseau Sunflower (the one that has underground tubers like potatoes) by itself away from other Sunflowers.  It is perennial so it comes back every year.  It's still iffy to me that cross pollination with a different strain of Sunflower would change its genetic makeup because it is so different than other Sunflowers, being the only perennial one, cross pollination might not change it but I wouldn't take the chance.

Here is what happens to all other Sunflowers, non-perennial, when different strains cross pollinate:  The present flower won't be changed by cross pollination.  The seed from this plant, however, has been changed due to the cross pollination, and will produce a different color flower, strain, the next year.

If a black oil seed Sunflower cross pollinates with a striped seed Sunflower, and you save the seed of both, you could get black oil seed or striped seed with the new plants as those seeds have been changed.  Say, if you want 12 black oil and 12 striped and that's what you plant, the only way to keep them as they are, is to plant them separate.  If you let them cross pollinate, you could get all black oil or all striped or a mixture - the point is, the choice of selection is not yours anymore.

I read specifically about that as a person wanted to plant three different colors of Sunflowers together.  The "expert" told her after that first year, if she used the seeds produced by those Sunflowers, she would get changed colors as the seeds have been changed.

I'm glad you brought up cross pollination.  We needed to know that.

HOW TO GET SEED OUT OF THE HULL FOR EATING SEED

I found ways to get seeds out of hulls for the striped eating seed:

Way 1.  Put the seeds in a zip lock bag and spread them out on a working surface.  Roll a rolling pin across the bag.  This will break the hull open.  You will have to experiment with the amount of pressure to put on the rolling pin.  Too much pressure will crush the seed, too, and you want it whole.

Way 2.  Put the seeds between two baking pans and walk on the pans.  That cracks the hulls.  Let the lightest person there do the walking.

Now, using either method, you have to get rid of the hulls which are very light.  There are ways to do that:

Way 1.  Put the hulls and seeds in a bowl of water.  The hulls will float to the top - remove the hulls.

Way 2.  Use wind.  When you still have power, use a fan - it will blow away the hulls.  A hair dryer should work well or any kind of fan.  If you don't have power, use a battery fan if you have one or use a chimney wind bellows if you have one.  Naturally do this outside so you won't have hulls all over the room.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #475 on: July 30, 2013, 10:34:27 AM »
“NUDGE”  - NEW FEDERAL PROGRAM FOR YOU
(ALSO KNOWN AS MIND CONTROL AS IN THE BOOK/MOVIE “1984”)

The name of Obama’s brand new program for you is “Strengthening Federal Capacity for Behavioral Insights”.

When you see the word, behavioral, in a sentence, it means your behavior which means what happens in your brain that causes you to behave/act in a certain way.  This new program is to cause you to act in a way that is different than you would act if left on your own.  This is mind control no matter what nice words Obama uses to describe it.  Every day it seems, we have less control of our life due to government determining what we may do and may not do. 

Now, Obama wants to reach into your mind to get you to act a certain way.  No need to write a law, just get in your brain to "nudge" you to act a certain way.  "Nudge" is a method to change behavior of one person or a nation.  Just use certain words to you that will "nudge" you to do as his group wants.  You need to be aware of this program so when it comes your way to cause you to act as you wouldn't normally act, you will recognize it and reject it.  I don't believe there is a prepper who thinks Obama knows what it best for him/her.

I'm working on this article and should post it by tomorrow or earlier.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #476 on: July 30, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
“NUDGE”  - NEW FEDERAL PROGRAM FOR YOU
(ALSO KNOWN AS MIND CONTROL AS IN THE BOOK/MOVIE “1984”)

The name of Obama’s new program for you (and me) is “Strengthening Federal Capacity for Behavioral Insights”.

The operative word is “behavioral”.  That’s our behavior Obama is talking about.  The last time I looked, I decided what my behavior would be.  Who tells you what you behavior will be?  Do you do that?  Do you control how you act, which is your behavior?  Your behavior is sacred to you because that determination of your behavior happens in your own brain. 

“Nudge”:  This is a technique used by Saul Alinski in his book, “Rules for Radicals”.  I read he dedicated this  book to Lucifer.  In March, in Jerusalem, Obama used Sal Alinski’s “nudge” word.  He urged young Israelis to create change to “nudge” their leaders to act.  What exactly does “nudge” mean to Alinski and Obama?  It means be nice and gradually nudge people to act a certain way.  It may take time to nudge, rather than push or shove, but it will happen without angst or warfare.

What does the statement, “Strengthening Federal Capacity for Behavioral Insights” mean?  The word, “Strengthening” means to make stronger.  “Federal Capacity” combined with strengthen means they want to know more about something so they will be stronger in understanding.   What is it they want to know more about, understand more about? “Behavioral Insights” means to learn more about behavior, and that’s human behavior, not goat behavior.  :o)  So, the federal government wants to know more about how you decide to behave.  You decide your behavior in your brain so the government wants to know how that works.  Why?  If they know how to manipulate your brain so you want “x” , they can get you to do “x”.

The entire government document at:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/interactive/2013/07/30/behavioral-insights-team-document/

So, how will this new program work?  First, spend more money to bring this about. Obama’s people say, “The team will be staffed by 4-5 experts in behavioral science and experimental design and evaluation.”

It’s amazing how fast Obama can put something like this together.  He is hiring, with our money, a "Behavioral Insights Team" that will look for ways to subtly influence people's behavior.  If you haven’t read or seen “1984”, you should.  You can put “movie 1984” in search and find it to view in several different forms as it’s been made several ways.   You can get the book on Amazon for your Kindle or in print.   Almost every day now, something else comes up that brings “1984” to my mind again.

There will be behavioral “experts”, which means people in the mental health field, to do what?  Oh, “experimental design and evaluation”.  What does that mean?  They will put together ways to experiment and evaluate how you think when you make a decision.  Device ways to tell you “x” so you will do “x”.  They will likely pull in people to use for their experiments as to which words, which comments, work best to make you decide to do “x”. 

The government says, “We are already working with over a dozen federal departments and agencies on newly-designed behavioral insights projects, including the Department of Labor, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Education, Veterans Administration, Department of Treasury, Social Security Administration, Department of Housing and Urban Development, and the United States Department of Agriculture.”

Well, those departments pretty much run your life now, except for your own decision as to what to do with them as they impact you and now the government wants to have a hand in leading you to do the behavior they want.  Let’s look at those:

Department of Labor:  That covers your job.
Department of Health and Human Services:  That covers your health care.
Department of Education:  That covers your kids if you have kids in school.
Veterans Administration:  That covers you if you are a Vet using those services.
Department of Treasury:  That covers your money.
Social Security Administration:  That covers you if you are on Social Security, Medicare.
Department of Housing and Urban Development:  That covers you if you have a house or apartment.
United States Department of Agriculture:  That covers you if you buy and eat food.

Now, the government wants to know how to get you to do “x” in any of the above listed services you get.

They have used behavioral control already and give a few examples of what they have already done.  Here is one:

“Increasing retirement savings: The Save More Tomorrow program 1) invites employees to pledge now to increase their savings rate later, since self-control is easier to exert for future events; 2) links planned increases in the savings rate to pay raises, in order to diminish loss aversion; and 3) leverages the power of inertia by keeping members enrolled until they reach a preset limit or elect to opt. Adoption of these auto-escalation plans has boosted annual savings by an estimated $7.4 billion.”

Take a look at how it works:  To get you to save more you are “nudged” to act a certain way:  You are “invited” (nudged) to pledge now to increase your savings “IN THE FUTURE”.   That is the manipulation of your brain – you are more likely to agree to something in the future, than now.  That is using behavioral manipulation.  Get you to agree to something in the future which seems far away to you.   They even state that:  “increase their savings rate later, since self-control is easier to exert for future events.”  Do you see how that works now?   You wouldn’t have done it for right now, but that is in the future, so you did it.  And, they, as is stated above, can keep you enrolled until you reach a preset limit if you don’t act to stop it.  Human behavior would be not to stop it since it requires action such as filling out paper work, etc., so you don’t do it.

They just manipulated your mind and you didn’t know it.

Please read their entire document as other examples of behavior manipulation are given.   That is only the beginning, since this team is being put together to study how to get you to make decision they want you to make.  When these are developed, understand their wording will sound pretty and pleasant and you are likely to get sucked in.  Don’t be nudged to make a decision you wouldn’t have made had you not been nudged.

Rephrasing: They are deciding what is best for you and now they have to get you to agree to it with pretty words and those words are what is going to be developed – catch words you will react positively to.  It won’t be, “You do this or get a penalty”.  It will be more like, “Everyone is getting this bargain and you can, too.”  “Your fine neighbors think this is a good deal.”  (Note I didn’t say your neighbors bought it, I just said they thought it was a good deal.)  “You can get it today, but don’t have to pay for it for five years – what a deal!”  “You care about your children, and this will make them happy and secure.”  “Do this and your job will be more secure.”

Preppers, reject NUDGE.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #477 on: August 17, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »
HOW DOES YOUR GARDEN GROW?  TIME TO THINK ABOUT NEXT SPRING – YOUR OWN FRESH FOOD IS GOOD!

Well, I’ve made mistakes at my first attempt to grow food but mistakes means I won’t make them when it’s important.  I’ll list my mistakes so you won’t make them, and what I did to solve the mistakes, and we’ll talk about what needs to be done now so in spring you’ll have your own fresh veggies.   I don't care if you have a black thumb instead of a green thumb, if I can grow food, you surely can.

I should have this posted by the end of tomorrow or sooner.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #478 on: August 18, 2013, 06:46:56 AM »
I look forward to reading about your foray inter the world of gardening... and with the fall coming, it is time to plant garlic, shallots, brassicas...

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #479 on: August 18, 2013, 07:46:41 AM »
My Dad, who has gardened for some 60+ years still makes mistakes. That's what gardening is. You learn the most from those mistakes. I've made my share.