Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 261943 times)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #510 on: October 29, 2013, 09:52:22 AM »
CAUTION FOR NOVEMBER 1, 2013, THIS FRIDAY

On Friday, EBT cards (food stamps) will have less money on them and Homeland Security fears riots may happen and announced they will spend $80 million on armed guards to protect the IRS and other government buildings in New York.

The funding that is going away on these cards is the federal economic stimulus that began in 2009 and scheduled to stop on Nov. 1, 2013.  The decrease amounts to about $36 less per month than it was.

Perhaps this drop in funding will not cause riots and all will be well.  Just be aware this change is coming on Friday to millions of people using EBT cards for food. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #511 on: November 07, 2013, 02:53:31 PM »
WHAT ABOUT THE PRISON WHEN TSHTF?   WHAT ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBOR?

I will post this sometime tomorrow as I have just begun to write it.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #512 on: November 08, 2013, 01:35:35 PM »
WHAT ABOUT THE PRISON WHEN THE SHTF?    WHAT ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBOR?

I am a member of the internet reading group, Goodreads.com/  My documentary film director son told me about this group and I joined immediately.  Have I got a good deal for you!   :D  You sign up, free, on this reading website full of other readers.  Authors come to this website and give away their new book, either not published yet, or just published.  They do this in order to get your written opinion of their book.  No joke, just sign up, write about yourself on your sign up page, go to the section of giveaway books, pick the books you would like to win, there is a deadline to sign up for each book, and the author goes through the ones wanting his/her book and chooses who gets the book. 

An author may give away one or ten or any number of his/her book.  If you are chosen, you get a notice you won and a book comes to your house, FREE.   What kind of books are there?  Every genre and plenty of each in each genre.  Altogether, there are usually 80+ pages of books to go through.  You can pick a genre and just look at those books, then pick another genre, etc., or you can go through all the genres mixed together.

When you join, write on your page everything about you that would interest an author.  List every skill you have, your education, your interests, as the authors are going to read about you when deciding to whom to give a book.

Now, going through those books to choose which ones you want to read, is like eating your favorite ice cream.   You will be saying in your mind, “I want that one and that one and that one and that one, etc.”.  Just punch on one and follow a couple of directions and you are on the list wanting that book.  Keep doing that until you get tired punching on books.  Do it again the next day and the next day, etc., having a blast doing it whenever you want.  Eventually, you will win a book and more books if you keep entering.

I went nuts getting on those lists.  It was great fun just to do that.  In about two weeks, I won two books.  I think I won them due to what I wrote about myself on my page.  I wrote about writing prepping articles and gave my psychological education/background and medical training.  The two books I won are:
“Oh Sh!t…The Awakening”,  and “When Life Hurts”.   One day, both books were in my mail.  Wonderful, hard back books, all mine for free.  Both books are available on Amazon.

“The Awakening” is about the economic collapse of our country – how it came about is the first section of the book.  The main character is a man with a family and his friend in the “money” world tells him what is happening to our currency and he realizes the country is in danger of collapsing.  Then, he has to convince his wife of that fact.  The story continues and toward the end (this is book one), the collapse has happened and we are in the executive offices of a prison.  Food is hard to find at this point and the director of the prison and his staff have to make a decision what to do about the prisoners.  They have two choices – leave them in the cells and they starve to death or let them all out.  I forgot to say this story takes place in Atlanta, Georgia.  The prison is in the greater Atlanta area.  The director puts out over the airways that the first release of prisoners will be those guilty of something other than murder.  Eventually, the murderers will have to be released into the area.

There is another rather quick occurrence after people can’t find food – the main character’s wife hears someone at the door and her next door woman neighbor is there demanding food.  She has seen trucks pull up to this house and food and water being delivered just before the collapse.  She saw this lady and her daughter outside making a solar oven a few weeks ago and made fun of them for doing it.  We’ll talk about this scenario.

Let’s back up and talk about prisoners who are no longer prisoners – they are out.  I assume you know where jails are in your area.  Jails are different than prisons.  Usually, a person is in jail until they have been convicted or found not guilty or they have to stay in a jail for a few days for a minor offense.  If guilty of a serious crime, those are sent to a prison for a long term incarceration.  You know there is a jail connected to your police department and a jail connected to your sheriff’s department.  Now, do you know where those actually are in relation to where your house is?  I know where they are in relation to my house.  Find that out if you don’t know.  If one is fairly close to your house in an emergency that goes on for a period of time and there is no water or food, you would definitely want defensive weapons close at hand as soon as such an emergency happened in case criminals were around.

Prisons are different.  They hold many dangerous prisoners.  Is there a prison anywhere within 30 miles of you?  Another question is, if you have such a prison, do you have any idea where prisoners tend to go when they are let out of this prison?  They are given some money and taken to a bus station.  Do you have any idea where the majority of them might go if buses are still running?  If buses aren’t running, where do you think they would go?

Now, I’ll tell you about my situation and perhaps that will give you an idea about a prison near you.  (First, you have to find out if there is one if you don’t already know.)

The main prison in Texas and where prisoners are executed in this state, is 25 miles north of me straight north up an Interstate Hwy. that goes through that town.  The main employer in that county is the prison.  The University there is the second largest employer and has a large criminal justice program that furnishes employees for that prison.  What about the people in the town – are they subject to be preyed upon by these prisoners when they are let loose?  Not really.  Why?  Because most of the prisoners are repeat prisoners and they follow the same route they have taken before and newer prisoners will follow them, go where they are going. 

Where do they go?  Well, I know where many of them go.  In my practice, some prisoners from there were sent to me for a psychological evaluation.  Where were they?  When they got out of prison in that town, they bought bus tickets to Galveston, straight south on that Interstate Highway that ends in Galveston.  It was and is, the farthest place they could go before they were in the ocean.  They want to get as far away from US land as they can so they go to the ocean.  I would go to Galveston and test these “former” criminals.   Most are career criminals, crime is all they know.  There was a halfway house in Galveston and they stayed there until their time allowed to be there was up.  Then, they lived on the beach.  It was not safe to be on that beach after dark.  Galveston had a high rate of burglaries and I imagine it still does.  Once on the beach with no money, they had to steal to get something to eat – either steal money or steal food or break into houses and steal both.  One day I was testing one of them and he said he hadn’t had anything to eat since early the day before.  I had a sandwich with me and gave it to him thinking I may have just saved someone from getting robbed.

Now, remember this is SHTF time, so if there is no bus service since there might not be gas available, where do they go after being let out?  The people in the town are still relatively safe because the prisoners don’t want to hang around that town – too many law enforcement types in that town.   It will be hard for them not to attempt to get to Galveston down that highway.  Galveston is 120 miles south.  I think they will head down that highway and only veer off it to steal food/water and continue until they get to Galveston.  Those who don’t do that, will head east and west of the prison town and they will be in the open countryside within three miles outside the prison as the prison town is a small town.  So, people in the immediate countryside might have to deal with these criminals.  There is a state park with a lake just outside the prison town a few miles and that lake means water and fish and  that would draw them there.  Anyone living around that lake would be a target. 

Any lake will gather all kinds of people who need water and food.  If you live near a lake, be warned people will go there.  Think about it - where would you go if you had no water or food and a lake was within walking distance?  That would mean life for you.  The water would have to be boiled and the majority of people won’t do that – they will just drink it and become sick, but that is another problem.

I have a friend who lives on a smaller lake a short distance from that lake in the state park.  The large house is about 30 yards from the lake – just walk down the concrete path to the dock behind the house.  It’s quite a lovely scene at the lake side but all I could think about was how vulnerable the house was.  Couldn’t stop anyone from coming there from the water.  There would have to be a lookout watching that dock all the time.  While we were standing there, a large fish jumped out of the water and splashed down - food everyone would want.

Think about the location of your house to jails and prisons.  If you see a potential problem there, determine what you would do to secure your house and your family from a released prison population.   They are going to get a distance away from that prison immediately.

Another happening from the book:  The woman neighbor who comes to your house demanding water and food.  Remember, she made fun of you when she saw you making a solar oven.  That ticked you off.  Now, here she is demanding water/food because she knows you have it – she saw one or more trucks delivering food and bottled water to your house.  You made a mistake with the delivery of food.  When I ordered long term food, I split the orders so not many boxes were delivered at a time.  I would wait two weeks before I ordered more boxes.  If you still need to order food, don’t have a large number of boxes come at one time.

Now, here is the woman at your door.  She says she knows you have plenty of food and water and she wants some because they have no more water or food at their house.  What do you do?  You need to make that decision now and stick with it.  If you give her water and food, she will be back wanting more.  If you watched the National Geographic movie about the grid going out, a neighbor came to a prepared family wanting food, then demanding food and he was turned down so he came back with some men and things got out of hand.

In this book, the prepared woman told the neighbor she had no food/water to give her as they didn’t have enough to share.  She told the woman where there was a FEMA camp and said she and her family could walk there and they should do it right now before too many people got to the FEMA camp.  The not prepared woman still wanted the food/water these people had and became irate and the prepared woman had to push her out and shut and lock the door.

What will you do if your neighbor comes to your house wanting water/food?  What are your choices to get out of this problem?  If a disaster happens, I am locking my front door and will not answer it if anyone comes.  As long as I don’t open that door, I don’t have a problem.  I don’t care if it is a neighbor because I can’t help him/her.  I won’t accept the danger of a starving neighbor.  Once I open the door, I have lost some control over my safety and provisions as whoever is there wants something from me. 

Nothing good will likely happen if the door is opened – but dangers can happen if it is opened.  A locked door means security of life and provisions.

My door has been hardened so it can’t be kicked in unless the intruder spends a great deal of time to get it open.  If a person was that determined to get past that door, the person would walk into a hollow point bullet.  I think the person would give up on my door and go to another house and people are very likely to open the door.  We are conditioned to respond to a bell or door knock and open the door.  Get over that conditioned response.  For mental preparation, think through the door bell or knock and you aren’t going to open the door.  Think about it over and over and over so you don’t rush to the door.

We know there will be a “grid down” country drill on November 13, 14 – that is next week.  I recently read the target drill area for the grid to go down is the east coast.  I’m not positive that is true but I believe it is.  Those involved in the drill will assume nothing works on the east coast after the power goes off.   Since that drill will happen, why not use those two days to assume there is no power in your area, water and food are gone as none can be delivered to stores.  Think about the first thing you would do if power went off and was going to stay off.  Then, consider your surroundings as to jails and prisons and neighbors and make a plan.

Make a Plan:
I have to be the best (or worst according to how you think about it) planner on earth; I think I was just born that way, and I have another flaw besides that.  I assume I can fix any problem if I just look for the answer because I know it is there somewhere.  I jokingly call that a “flaw” because I don’t give up searching for the answer.  The internet was the greatest invention for me to find answers to problems.

If I could get across one technique for you to use to help yourself and your family, it would be to make a plan for every eventuality that could befall you in a serious emergency.   Already having a plan, steps to take, makes one respond quickly when that event happens.  I want you to be able to do that – react because you already know what to do.  Yes, there will be some event(s) you haven’t planned for but you will be better able to deal with that since you have practice making plans.

Solving a Problem:
Inherent in each plan you will find problems to solve so I say to you every problem can be solved one way or another.  If you are the type person to give up, think you can’t solve that problem, you need to change for the better and start solving your own problems.  There may come a time in the not distant future when you must take charge of your life and solve problems as no one else may be able to help you.

You are your greatest asset so hone your skills and become a prepper extraordinaire who can live well on your own – and make plans and solve problems, okay?   ;)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #513 on: November 09, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
Great article, Victoria. I am going right over to goodreads, too.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #514 on: November 11, 2013, 10:59:56 AM »
I keep the Goodreads website open all the time and when I have a few minutes or longer, I bring it up and continue through the list selecting books I want.  Eventually, I'll win more books.  If you find one you can't do without, you can always go to Amazon and order it if you don't win it. 

The author of "The Awakening", Michael Kaye, contacted me and we had some emails about our country's economic situation and prepping and I directed him to these articles I have written so he came to Survival Podcast to read and to contact Jack.  My winning that book brought Michael to Survival Podcast and that's a good thing.  All of us are really a large group connected by one basic underlying factor - our country is in danger of collapsing and we have to do what we can to prepare for that happening. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #515 on: November 11, 2013, 11:38:59 AM »
It sounds like a book many of our forum members would enjoy. If you have the time, Victoria, perhaps you could post a book review about it in the books section of the forum?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #516 on: November 27, 2013, 01:56:28 PM »
TRANSPORTATION

No power over the country or for days after a hurricane and there is no gasoline to be had.  Christmas is coming up and I've got the perfect gift for a prepper.  Now, I have to find someone to buy it for me or buy it for myself, $250, free shipping at Amazon.  If I had a husband, I'd tell him no more cooked meals until he gets that for me for Christmas.

A "Schwinn Meridian Adult 26-Inch 3-Wheel Bike".  It just looks great!  I'd like to have that right now just to ride around.  I read customer comments and some people ride this bike in order to exercise their dog.  Tell the dog to run along with the bike. 

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001AYKISE/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1D70WWXB7EG23&coliid=IK5FYMUR85MAB

I hope you have a pleasant, restful, Thanksgiving and a wonderful Christmas celebrating the birth of Christ Jesus.  His birth was so important, our days are numbered from the time He was born - 2013 years ago.
Victoria

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #517 on: November 27, 2013, 03:52:32 PM »
NOTE:

26" Schwinn Meridian Adult Tricycle in Cherry, Blue, or Silver

WALMART CARRIES THESE TRICYCLES SO IF YOU BUY IT AT THEIR STORE, THEY ASSEMBLE IT. 

If you order it to come to your house from Amazon OR Walmart, or to be delivered to Walmart to pick up,  YOU HAVE TO ASSEMBLE IT YOURSELF.

MAKE EVERY EFFORT TO BUY IT AT A WALMART STORE SO THEY ASSEMBLE IT.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #518 on: November 27, 2013, 04:04:10 PM »
AMAZON SAYS THIS ABOUT ASSEMBLY:

"Assembly takes 45 to 60 minutes."

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #519 on: November 27, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »
I have to disagree.  Your premise is too simplistic.  I used to work for an agency between Galveston and Houston.  I now work for two agencies out west.  If there was any real breakdown, I can tell you that the inmates would let loose on each other for starters.  If rations were cut, the inmates would especially start killing each other for food.  They didn't get there because they are nice. Believe me, violence would be unleashed.  Secondly, a lot of police/deputies/jailers/corrections officers are preppers.  They would not be releasing any inmates that had a history of assault, rape, crimes against children/elderly, etc.  They would execute them or simply walk away.  The one agency I work for has 32 inmates in custody at this time.  I can tell you that maybe 6 would be cut loose.  Another likely scenario is that the families/friends of inmates would attack the jail in order to free their inmates.  No jailer is that dedicated.  They will be home taking care of their families.

If there was a serious economic collapse, your neighbor would be just as dangerous as any escaped inmate.  People who are desperate to feed their children will kill you just as quick as a felon.  While it doesn't hurt to be aware that inmates might be coming your way, the threat is actually minimal in most areas. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #520 on: November 27, 2013, 08:54:46 PM »
Local jails would be easier to attack and prisons would be more difficult.  In reality, for prisons, either the state would give them orders what to do or if communication was not possible, whoever was running that prison would make that decision and it wouldn't necessarily be the same decision another prison would make.  As long as the prisoners are in their cells, they can't kill anyone except their cell mate. 

I know where they go from the prison I wrote about but if the prison staff kills them in their cells or walk off leaving them in there, well, that's what they will do.  We can't predict what prison officers would do in that situation but people who live a distance from the prison might find they have visitors if prisoners get there.

Yes, I know the guards aren't going to hang around, they are going home but before they leave, they will follow the orders of their bosses. 

The bottom line is if there is a jail or prison in the general area, be aware of it and be vigilant in security for the household.  Always assume the worst has happened so one won't be surprised if it does.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #521 on: November 27, 2013, 09:04:02 PM »
Throughout these articles, we assume your nice neighbor down the street will not be nice anymore.  That is why I suggest locking the door and not opening it for anyone.  Hardening the house to prevent a break in is vital.  Window bars have been suggested as well as bullet proof shields for windows.  Battery run vibration detectors and motion detectors are also suggested.  I have them on every door and window.  The front and back door are hardened so they can't be kicked in.  Somewhere in these articles this is discussed along with where to get these items.

Or, you could just call up the federal Homeland Security office and ask them to send someone out to guard your house.   ;D

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #522 on: December 06, 2013, 11:41:23 AM »
IT’S VITAL BUT YOU HAVEN’T STORED IT SO DO IT

You can’t function if you don’t have this vital item or items, but you haven’t stored it or them,  or enough of it/them because you can buy it any time - but you haven’t.

I can’t name this item or items for you because it or they is/are particular to just you.  I can give you an example of an item I must have or I can’t function for three days and it would keep happening over and over because I haven’t stored enough of this item.   Read what it is for me and then think of your need for something vital and you don’t have it or enough of it – yet.

Before I tell you what it is for me, I was thinking last night that, according to Homeland Security, the most likely danger the country has is some country corrupting the internet in general or corrupting the electric grid in particular through the internet, both of which would take out our power since the grid uses the internet to “talk” to the grid connections to keep the grid going .  This corruption could happen at any minute and if it happens before I post this, you and I will likely never talk to each other again.  Think about that – suddenly everything goes off and you have no internet connection and you have no electric power for a very long time.

You have likely had your personal internet connection stop for some reason and you were antsy until it came back up.  Well, if the internet is corrupted, your life just suddenly changed.  I can’t reach you and you can’t reach me, you can’t reach your family members or your friends by email and it won’t be long before your cell phone and regular house phone does not work and they are probably off as soon as the grid goes down.  When the internet stops, banks can’t transfer money and money must be transferred before trucks can leave their home base, so trucks don’t move and food delivery plus every other delivery, stops.  Stores will close.  There goes your ability to buy vital items you have put off buying because they are right there at the store and you haven’t gotten around to buying whatever it is.

Right now, today, I am vulnerable to not being able to function for three days due to not having bought enough of one vital item.  Not enough is in my house and it’s right across the street at Walgreens.  What is it?  Walgreen’s brand of nighttime eye ointment (any brand eye ointment would work but that one is the cheapest).  Why is that vital for me?  I have severe dry eyes.  It is severe because if I don’t put a drop of eye ointment in each eye at night, one or both eyes will stick to my cornea (the clear covering over the eye) and when I open my eyes, it rips off a piece of that cornea causing extreme pain.  The last time that happened, it ripped a piece off the cornea from one side to the other.  The pain was unbelievable with a rip that large and long.

It takes three days for the cornea to repair itself and the pain is less if one closes both eyes even if just one eye is involved.  The two eyes work together and if one eye moves, so does the other.  Every time the affected eye follows the other eye, the intense pain is there.  If both eyes are covered with a slight pressure bandage to prevent the eyes from opening, it is easier to live those three days without screaming.  I am out of commission for three days with my eyes shut.  In an emergency situation, I would be useless for those three days and that is not good and it would happen over and over and I couldn’t function if I did not have that ointment.

I need enough of those very small tubes of eye ointment (thinner drops will not do it, must be thick ointment so it stays on the eyes all night), to last a year.  One small tube, if one is careful to use the minimum needed, may last a month.  Each one if it is the Walgreens brand, is $7+.  Other brands are $11-12.  Right now, I have two extra tubes in the fridge.  That is not nearly enough.  And, what happens, is, I finish a tube and get one out of the fridge which just took down by one the extras I had.  The next time I go to Walgreens so close, just across the street, I must buy more and not get into the stored supply when I run out.  If all drug stores closed today, I would be in serious trouble within two months because the tube I am using now is about half gone and I only have two full ones.

Now, let’s go to you from the feet up. 

Feet:  Is there some preparation you use on your feet that you MUST have or you can’t walk well or can’t walk at all?  BUY EXTRA NOW to last as long as you are preparing to store for a long time emergency.

Legs:  Do you use a knee brace and you must have that to walk?  Do you have one or more extras?  Is there any preparation you must have for your legs?  BUY WHAT YOU NEED NOW.

Abdomen outside and inside:  Is there some over the counter liquid/solid/pills you must take for your insides to work properly and if you don’t have it, you will be compromised and can’t function correctly?   BUY IT/THEM NOW.

All joints/muscles: Do you have muscle or joint pain and there is some over the counter preparation you take to keep your joints and muscles from hurting so much and if you didn’t have it/those, you couldn’t function well?  BUY IT/THEM NOW.

Mouth/Eyes/Ears:  Do you use a hearing aid and need to store extra batteries?  Is there anything you need for your eyes to work?  What about your mouth – do you have cavities you need to get filled by the dentist?  If a cavity starts having horrible pain during an emergency, that tooth would have to be dealt with – do you have tooth filling material?  Do you have antibiotics if it is infected?  Are you prepared to pull that tooth?  Save that tooth now by going to a dentist while you can.

Think about your body and the bodies of your family in the house.  Think of the drug store being closed for a very long time.  Identify the vital items you must have for everyone to be able to function.  BUY THEM NOW.

I need to go to Walgreens now and buy nighttime eye ointment – what do you need to buy?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #523 on: December 09, 2013, 06:27:12 PM »
good one, Victoria... a good nudge to think about this sort of thing.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #524 on: December 11, 2013, 06:36:11 PM »
Lvs, people think of prescription medicine they must have, but if I don't have that eye ointment, I am truly sunk.  It is guaranteed I won't be able to open my eyes and function.  For heaven's sake, if you can't see, that is the end.  That ointment is more important than any pill I take.  I pretty much scared myself to death when I faced those only two tubes in the fridge.  You can have a year's worth of stored food but if you can't see, the food is fairly useless unless it's hand food you can manage to find by bearing the pain of opening your eyes until you get it in your hand.

I know there has to be people who have a need for an over the counter "something"  they must have to see or move or walk or hear or not get sick if they don't have "x".  If you only have one pair of reading glasses and you can use those sold in drug stores, get an extra pair - or two as they don't cost much.

Hey, stores are open, get those vital items - that includes you, Lvs.  :o)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #525 on: December 12, 2013, 06:49:07 PM »
THE ENGINEER CAME TO VISIT – OH, MY

He is the husband of my sister-in-law.  He came to stay at my house for two nights while he went to a daily seminar he had to attend for his company.   He wears me out because he doesn’t stop “fixing” things.

The reason I am telling you this, is, two of my three smoke detectors began to beep on and off to tell me the batteries were weak.  So, here comes the engineer, sees the units on a table and examines the units and says all three are out of date and he threw them away.  I didn’t know smoke detectors units themselves have a “get rid of this” date.  It is ten years.  All three of these were over ten years.  He pitched those this past Tuesday.  So, I have NO smoke detectors in my house.

I began to research smoke detectors.

ALL SMOKE DETECTORS ARE NOT EQUAL

Do I have a deal for you!
Cheapest price, Walmart.  “Kidde Long Life Sealed Battery Smoke Alarm” $17.07
“There is no threat of your smoke alarm failing when you use this Kidde Smoke Alarm. It is a lithium battery operated, 10-Year Sealed alarm. Because of the lithium battery power, this sealed battery smoke alarm will last the lifetime of the unit. You won't have to worry about maintenance, saving you time and stress.”

What a great invention.  I just put them up and the battery lasts 10 years. No more wondering if the battery is dead and so am I if a fire starts.

Kidde makes a zillion smoke detectors so if you want the long life battery one, be sure it says “Long Life” in the title.

Just had to tell all of you about this smoke detector so you would know there is one that doesn't require you to keep feeding it 9 volt batteries.

More About Engineer:

All of you would want this duly licensed engineer.  After a period of time, however, you would want him to go home so you could rest.  He doesn’t stop either repairing or cleaning equipment.  Starting at 3:30 pm last Tuesday, he did this :

1. He took my clothes dryer apart, I mean apart,  and got rid of every bit of lint that could possibly be there - no, I didn't mention the dryer to him, he just did it.

2. He took the bottom of the refrigerator/freezer off, got the hose vacuum cleaner and used that plus a brush on a long wire I had to clean under there, to clean the condenser back under that unit. No, I didn't mention that, just wanted the water filter replaced which he did .

3. Cleaned the air conditioner filter as he always does.

4. This was his first trip since I started container gardening, so we went outside to see that. I showed and told him about various plants he had never heard about. He bit into a Stevia leaf to taste the sweetness. He asked what that huge black ball was. Told him it was a composter. He said, “At least it isn't a space ship but looks like one.”

5. He said the rose bush limbs I had cut off with those bad stickers shouldn't go in the composter, so I gave him gloves and he put all those in a bag and took them to the dumpster.

6. He looked in the outside small storage room to see what he could quickly throw away since we didn't have time to thoroughly go through that and toss stuff. He saw a large plastic bucket that has been here since I bought this house in 2003 and he said that paint is no good. I said I knew it needed to be tossed but I was afraid to put it in the dumpster due to it having paint in it - didn't know if that is against the law now. He picked it up and said he would put it in the dumpster so it wouldn't be me throwing it away, and to blame him if anyone asked about it. He took that when he took the rose limbs to the dumpster plus took the two trash bags from trash cans in the kitchen. I was waiting for warmer weather to carry those out.

7. He fixed my gold cigarette lighter  (it had quit working) with my name engraved on it that my husband gave me years ago. He took it apart and used chemicals in his car trunk that he always carries with him along with other tools, to clean the inside and it works.

It takes him five hours to drive here and I think if I called him right now with a severe problem about me or the house, he would get in his car and be on his way.

There is someone who is dear to you, right?  Someone who would be right there for you.  Be thankful you have such a person or persons, in your life.

Now, I’ll tell you a story about him and his father.  His father was an inventor.  He built a car/machine that ran on air – I mean no wheels, it floated on air.  The son, our to be engineer, helped his father build this air car.  When it was finished and they “drove” it around, they went into their town which is Corpus Christi, TX, and “drove” on the streets.  The cops stopped them and didn’t know what to do.  It wasn’t technically a car because there were no wheels on the road.  It was sitting on air.  If something is in the air, it isn’t on the ground.  The cops said they couldn’t give the driver a ticket because it wasn’t a car, but to please take it home so it wouldn’t cause a traffic jam of people watching it.   :)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:55:02 PM by Victoria »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #526 on: December 14, 2013, 07:41:28 AM »
I want a car like that... no more tire replacements...

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #527 on: December 19, 2013, 09:21:37 AM »
EMERGENCY – MY COUNTY - IN ISOLATION

Two days ago, word came from Montgomery County Health Department that a mystery disease was killing people.  Eight people presented at the hospital with flu like symptoms within days of each other and four died.  They tested negative for flu.  At some point in their illness, their kidneys failed, stopped working.  The four still alive are seriously ill in that hospital.  News yesterday was one has tested positive for dangerous H1N1 swine flu.  Other tests are ongoing at the state health and CDC national health levels.

The hospital where these four sick ones are, is 5 minutes from my house.  I can’t take flu vaccine, and more tests have to be done before we know for sure what each one has, so I have gone into emergency mode.

My engineer relative has work in the area, he lives in Corpus Christi, so he was coming to my house yesterday and then go to another county and back to my house and going home on Saturday. 

I first thought I would go to the grocery store to get fresh food, a fast trip in and out (since there was this unknown virus/bacteria in the county), so I would have fresh food for the engineer.  That, my friends, was normalcy bias.  I didn’t want an emergency right now since I needed to go to the grocery store – I could fake myself out and say make a fast trip in and out at the grocery.  What a stupid thing for me to think.  I wanted to put off the emergency but it was already here.

I came to my senses yesterday morning – I was NOT going to the grocery store.  I would feed the engineer emergency food from the grocery store stash BECAUSE I WAS IN AN EMERGENCY.  When he got here, I explained the deaths and no one knows for sure what killed them, what they have, except one tested positive for H1N1.  You know what?   He was perfectly happy to eat canned beef stew and I opened a can of peach halves and put a little mayonnaise in the center of each peach and he had never seen that but when he ate them, he thought they were tasty with the mayo in the center.

The lesson from this problem is:  People died, we don’t know why, one had H1N1, tell yourself the truth, declare a personal emergency for yourself, and don’t leave your house until you have more information to decide whether it is safe to leave or not.

I am writing this article in my personal country (my house and back garden).   Outside is danger but my house is safe and I don’t have to leave for anything.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #528 on: December 19, 2013, 08:55:47 PM »
Today, 12-19-2013, a man in Tarrant County (Forth Worth is in Tarrant), died from H1N1 swine flu.  His kidney's also stopped functioning.  It appears this kidney shut down is one of the effects of H1N1.

If you live in Texas be aware H1N1 is either in your area or likely will be.  The travel people make daily will transmit this flu easily to other areas.  Hundreds of people in Montgomery County travel to Houston every day.  It is not positive that all the original eight people who got sick in Montgomery County had or have H1N1.  More tests are being done.  We do know there was a positive from H1N1 and that person's kidneys did shut down.  We know for sure the man in Tarrant County had H1N1 and his kidneys shut down.

As I get more information I will post it.   

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #529 on: December 20, 2013, 08:55:58 AM »
Today, 12-20-2013, another person in Montgomery County, TX, tested positive for H1N1 (swine flu).  If you can take the vaccine, you need to do it as H1N1 strain is in that vaccine.  If you can't take the vaccine, check the news source where you live to know if it is in your area, and if it is, stay home.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #530 on: December 23, 2013, 07:30:10 PM »
MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL WHO READ HERE.

Have peace and love in your home and food you like and hug your loved ones.

Love to you from me,
Marcella

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #531 on: December 23, 2013, 11:08:36 PM »
Victoria,

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and happy new year... Stay safe...

LC

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #532 on: December 31, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »
AFFORDABLE CARE ACT

All along as conditions changed with the Affordable Care Act, I have closely read what is happening. A friend of mine said her doctor’s nurse and the doctor said people wouldn’t be allowed to have surgeries after a certain age. This friend will need a knee replacement in the future and is on Medicare. The doctor said due to her age, she won’t be approved to have her knee replaced. The doctor and nurse were “guessing” that might be true.

That is NOT what is happening. Medicare monthly premiums did not go up for 2014. My supplement insurance to Medicare will go up $5.25 per month. I expect Medicare premiums to go up for 2015 and the supplement insurance to sky rocket up. Right now, the supplement pays what Medicare does not, which includes the deductible. I think Medicare will pay less for a doctor visit or any surgery with also a higher deductible which will force supplement insurance to go to the sky. I think this will happen due to what is happening to people not yet on Medicare:

The only people tomorrow, January 1, who can access healthcare without paying for it, are those on Medicaid.  I’m leaving out people on company plans in this post as their insurance isn’t included in this first round – next year, 2014, which starts tomorrow, begins their demise for 2015. So, people with individual insurance are now supposed to have NEW health insurance that complies with Obamacare mandates. They are supposed to be better off than before and pay less than before. These millions of people actually have NO insurance until they meet their deductible. I have made it a point to look at deductibles and they are $5,000, up to $10,000, plus the monthly premiums are seldom less than $500 to over $1,000. You pay your $500 a month, go to the doctor and pay YOUR money for whatever you are charged. You see, until you reach your deductible, your insurance doesn’t pay, “PERIOD” (that is Obama’s word). If you need cataract surgery, you pay the thousands it costs as you haven’t met your deductible on your insurance YET, “PERIOD”. You pay every charge along with your monthly $500 + premium.

My friend can still get her knee replacement, Obamacare isn’t knocking off what service you can get, but they are limiting the amount they will pay plus you pay the first thousands and Obamacare doesn’t. If she doesn’t have $5,000 up to $10,000 or more for the deductible, she doesn’t get the knee replaced and hobbles around the rest of her life. That does eliminate a lot of cost because you pay it and the insurance doesn’t. If you don’t have the money to pay thousands, you don’t get the service and in some cases, that means you die. Let’s say you have a pain in your right abdomen. You go to the doctor and you pay for that visit out of your pocket and the doctor says you need to have your appendix out. You don’t have $5,000 up to $10,000 or more deductible, so you can’t have the surgery. You likely die.

Yes, Obamacare limits cost, and it’s because you can’t pay thousands for what you need done. Obama will claim victory for healthcare cost going down but you are using a cane to hobble around or you are dead.

It will be difficult to find a doctor or surgeon to see you. Doctors will be paid less by the new Obamacare. Doctors are a mixture now of retiring, joining hospitals, or refusing to accept Obamacare. Some insurance policies have dumped some hospitals, so if you go there, your insurance doesn’t pay. You can still go there for what you need, go to any doctor anywhere, but you have to pay for it yourself. If you have the money to pay for healthcare, you can go anywhere you want and pay cash.

Healthcare costs will go down due to Obamacare, and there will be more crippled people, more chronic sick people, and more dead people. Actual death panels are not necessary to limit healthcare cost – the high premiums and deductibles did it instead.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #533 on: December 31, 2013, 02:42:21 PM »
One clarification:

I said Medicare itself will be the same cost for 2014, so if you go to the doctor next year starting tomorrow, nothing has changed unless they have not told us and I opened every envelope coming from Medicare and got no notice of any change regarding what they cover.  If you have supplement insurance along with Medicare, you will pay nothing for a doctor visit as usual.  I am speaking of regular Medicare. 

Rules HAVE changed for Medicare ADVANTAGE plans.  Each insurance company that has an ADVANTAGE plan will be different.  You likely know your ADVANTAGE plan has changed in what they cover.  You may have lost your doctor or hospital.  Each ADVANTAGE plan has a list of approved doctors and hospitals and the ones you had may have changed.  You can always go to the doctor you have but you will likely pay for that out of your pocket if that doctor is not on the approved list.  This is a problem right now as doctors got dropped off ADVANTAGE plans and didn't know they were dropped.   

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #534 on: January 19, 2014, 07:32:14 PM »
I have not disappeared from the earth - I'm still here and hope you are all here and well.  I was in Huntsville, Texas, Saturday, and there was a funeral for a young woman who died of the flu.  The H1N1 flu is still killing people in Texas.  I thought perhaps it was slacking off, but this young woman was taken this past week.  I have quarantined myself to hopefully prevent my getting that since I can't take the shot.  If you leave your house, always wash your hands well when you get back.  I did go to Huntsville Saturday and washed when I returned home.

I've been eating out of home storage so I don't have to go into a grocery store.  I need to go to the CDC website and see what the numbers of flu victims are now and in what states.

As soon as I come up with something brilliant  :) to say, I'll post it.  Talking about the state of our country right now is a complete downer.  Every day, there are more rules and executive orders being made by Obama as he bypasses congress - can you say dictator?  We can't change his executive orders and his rules by ourselves but we can prepare to be independent if the worst happens.  Go back to the basics - do you have water on your own, do you have light on your own, a way to cook on your own, food to cook on your own, security on your own, warmth and cooling on your own?    And, before and after you work on that, say a prayer to God on your own.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #535 on: January 26, 2014, 07:29:12 AM »
So sorry to hear about your friend the flu victim... hope you are still doing OK...

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #536 on: January 29, 2014, 04:31:16 PM »
Lvs, I was about to post an article and got a notice someone had posted.  We must be communicating by brain waves.  Going to post the article now.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #537 on: January 29, 2014, 04:35:08 PM »
FIRST ANNUAL STATE OF THE UNION PREPS FOR YEAR 2014

Surviving 2014:
What will happen in 2014 that causes us to begin using our preps?  I have been looking for clues and last night was one of them.

I waited until after the president’s speech last night to write this article.   I thought that might give me an idea of his goals for this year and that would translate into an economic upturn or downturn which we would like to know in terms of preparedness.  If you knew banks were likely to fail soon, you would likely begin adding more preps to your already stored ones.

What I learned from last night’s speech, is, the president will use his executive orders to bypass congress to get done what he wants.  There were a number of areas he listed where he would use his order power but any area could be subject to executive orders.  I don’t see good outcomes when congress is out of the loop.  You see, congress is US – you and me.  We elected people to go there to represent us and our representatives have no say at all when an executive order is written and signed by a president.  That is you and I having no say.  That sounds like a dictator and peasants and we aren’t that type of government but it does give a clue as to where we are headed and how that translates into prepping for your immediate future.  I believe the executive branch of government, our president, will make the economy worse in 2014.

Let’s consider the reality that we don’t know if our country can keep up its debt that keeps rising.  If the country gets to the point no one will buy our bonds, we can’t pay the interest on our debt and that’s what we are doing now, just paying interest and nothing on the principal.  That is a disaster waiting to happen in the not distance future  - could happen at any time, like right now.  Unemployment is going up if you look at real numbers.  Are you one of the unemployed or might you be?   The economy has a direct connection to your employment.  Food prices are going up – if you store today, you save money because those foods will be higher the next time they are bought.  The economy affects the cost of your food.  I believe the economy will get worse in 2014 and there is a possibility of the country failing.

A computer virus sent by an enemy of ours, can take out our grid today.  Are you prepared for that?  I think it may happen in 2014.

Have you seen the pictures today of Atlanta, Georgia?  People stuck in cars as long as 16 hours.  I particularly was interested in a story from the CNN weather reporter who was stuck in that traffic and when she finally got home she called the station.  She said when she gives the weather, she reminds people to have emergency equipment in the car, like a blanket, water, food, and she had NONE of those things when she was stuck for hours in that highway traffic in severe cold.   

It was interesting that happened to her because I have done it myself.  I have told preppers to have certain items ready for a tornado safe room and when I had a tornado sitting on top of Conroe with the weather channel and city of Conroe telling me to take cover, I got in the bathroom with stuff and doggie, then realized  I had failed to have a radio or my cell phone or a flashlight or a bottle of water in there.   The backpack with packages of water was in there, but that is in a corner of that bathroom and I’d have to get in there to get water.  I needed a bottle right there close to us and for sure needed that radio, cell phone and flashlight.  It took me three trips out of that bathroom to get those things – oh, yes, the radio had no batteries, so had to stop and get those out of a drawer, to put in it. 

The weather lady will always have those required items for survival in her car from now on.  For me, I made a list of everything I needed in that bathroom so I could fast check it to make sure I had the right survival items in there when I had to go there.  It is for certain that during storms every year, there will be a time or two or more when I have to do that.  By the way, that tornado sitting on top of the town, stayed up there and did not drop down.  I was lucky that day.

What am I doing about 2014?  I have an uneasy feeling about this year.  Every time I go to the grocery, I pick up a few bags of dried bean soup mix (usually the 16 bean kind), with the seasoning packet in there, a box of instant rice, and a few cans of meat.  I can’t seem to pass those by since they are cheap (well, the meat isn’t dirt cheap), and will keep a person alive with adequate food calories and the beans and rice combine to make protein even if I don’t use a can of meat in there.  The meat will also put a bit of fat in there and in an emergency situation, you need some fat for your body.  Those food items are backups.  Suppose you have family you didn’t expect come stay with you during an emergency?  Those beans, rice, and meats, will be vital in a case like that.   I eye the canned veggies when I go down that aisle.  There they are, ready to eat, just pick up a few, okay?

I have a list of other items I want to increase.  Do you have more than one  bottle of Tums for indigestion?  Or a brand that is the same thing?  I need to get several more bottles so I could give some to other people who need them.   I keep forgetting to get charcoal and I have two types of cooking that require those.  One is a Japanese small ceramic unit that cooks with just 7 briquettes of charcoal.   A meal using just 7 of those.  I must get some.

I can’t tell you for sure 2014 is going to be “zero” year, but I will be truthful and tell you I am buying insurance in the form of food and other items preparing for it, whatever it might be. 

Some people think if preppers prepare like I do, we live in fear all the time of an emergency happening.  I am not fearful because I don’t have to be.  My prep insurance is why I don’t fear.  I can change to no power living in a few minutes and keep most of my standard of living.   Certainly, I keep up with happenings in the country and other countries in order to have information.  I’ve never been one to not know what is happening in the country and happening to it from outside sources, so that has not changed.

Prep insurance is tangible, visible.  House insurance is on a piece of paper as is auto insurance.  Most likely, my house is not going to burn down but I have insurance in case it does.  A tornado could hit it and that’s another reason I have insurance.  I don’t plan to have a car accident, but I have insurance in case it happens.  I’m not fearful due to insuring my house or my car OR my survival.

Finally, some people say preppers want an emergency to happen so we can laugh at people who haven’t prepared.  You would be surprised, maybe, at the bitterness some people have toward those who prepare.  There is no happiness in me that millions of people would die in a severe emergency.  I am supposed to like that in order to show those who didn’t prepare, how right I was?   Those families stuck on that highway in Atlanta for many hours without water and food and warmth, did not make me happy.  Included in that stack up was a school bus full of children.  That did not make me happy that they were cold and had no water.

After the storm in New Jersey/New York, an elderly lady was stuck in a high rise with no water, no power.  There was no family who knew she was there.  She had to climb down 20 floors + of stairs to get to the bottom to find someone who had water.  I thought of all the water I had and if I had been there, I would have walked up those 20 + floors and taken her some.  It hurt me to think of her up there by herself with no water.  I wanted to be there right then.

When I prepared my medical supplies, I got enough to help other people who got hurt or were ill.  I couldn’t save everyone, but I could save some.  I wouldn’t be laughing at those people who needed my medical care.

It is 2014, so enjoy the year with the knowledge you have insurance preps if you need them, and, to make me happy, pick up some bean soup packages, some instant rice, and cans of meat.   :)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #538 on: February 15, 2014, 09:51:19 AM »
GROW FOOD IN YOUR HOUSE

I’m working on this to give you information how to grow food in your house.  I already know of  dwarf  tomato plants to grow inside and yes, they do produce tomatoes.  You can also grow lettuce and peppers and perhaps others.  I’ll have the names of the actual plants and where you can get the seeds and I’ll discuss how to grow these seeds. 

The one item to buy is a grow lamp and I’ll give you information on this.  You could grow these plants in a room with lots of sun and not get a grow lamp, however, with a grow lamp you can grow these plants in winter.  A grow lamp will definitely cause your seeds to germinate as I use a grow lamp to do this all the time and I already have plants grown from seed to plant in their final large containers around the middle of next month.   There are also baby seedlings growing under the grow lamp right now.  More seeds will be under the grow lamp around the first of March.  All these plants will be outside plants but I think it’s important to know how to grow dwarf size plants inside your house.   

I think a grow lamp is worth its weight in gold.  Here’s two reasons why and they are important ones.   When you plant seeds outside, you can’t control the amount of light they get or the temperature of the soil AND they are subject to being eaten by birds and squirrels.  You can protect the seeds from those “killers” of seed if you place netting over the seeds high enough to prevent squirrels and birds reaching that soil.  We are talking of plants to grow inside but if power is off one couldn’t use the grow lamp and would have to put the seeds outside in a container or have a room with a lot of light coming in.

I should be able to post this article sometime tomorrow as I have to gather the links to these different dwarf seeds and the link to the cheapest place to get the grow lamp.

Stored long term food, stored grocery food, and fresh grown food inside your house (especially in winter when you can’t grow food outside) gives you variety and more food nutrition for your body.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #539 on: February 16, 2014, 01:39:07 PM »
A VEGGIE GARDEN IN YOUR HOUSE

Two terms you need to know:
Determinate:  The plant will produce only one set of veggies, then die.
Indeterminate:  The plant will keep producing until frost kills it.  If an indeterminate is planted indoors, it will keep on producing as it won’t be out in the cold to freeze.

Grow Lamp:
I got mine last year from Walmart and I picked it up there so I didn’t pay for shipping.  They don’t have them on their website any more, and none at Lowes and none at Home Depot, but it is on Amazon with free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/Hydrofarm-JSV4-4-Foot-Start-System/dp/B0001XLSGQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392580631&sr=8-1&keywords=hydrofarm+jump+start+indoor+grow+light+system+%284+foot%29

You will be glad you have this lamp if you grow food plants.  It is on a frame and one can lift the light to any height by pulling strings on the stand.  You should have the light about 4 inches, no higher, from the seed cups or seedlings after they “hatch” from the seed.  Just keep lifting the lamp using the strings when you need to but keep it at that 4 inch distance from the plant.  If you raise it higher, the plant will reach for the light and you will have long, spindly trunks of the plant which makes them weak as they are spending all their energy to get to the light instead of making strong plants.

Here is a list of food plants that are suitable for growing inside your house.  I put the names of the seeds in search and seed companies came up that have the seeds.  You won’t find all of them at one seed company, so you will have several companies to order from, but you can find the seed and that’s the important part.  As you find the seeds, compare them, as in compare all the tomato seeds and determine which you want – certainly you may buy more than one kind of tomato seed if you want. 

I will continue to write about process of growing food plants inside your house (will post more tomorrow), but here is a start by listing the plants you can grow inside.  Said again, put the name of the seed in search (as in, “Elfin Tomato seed”) and you will find a seed company that sells them:

Small Tomato Plants:
Elfin
Micro Tom
Patio F
Red Robin
Tiny Tim
Totem
Yellow Pygmy (yellow)
Micro Tina
Micro Gemma (yellow)

Basil: Windowbox  (this is the name of the seed)

Eggplant:   Listada de Gandia, Striped Guadaloupe Eggplant, Li’l Darling

Miniature and Small Variety Squash:  Honey Bear, Dwarf Yellow Crookneck, Buckingham Patio.

Miniature and Small Variety Sweet Peppers:   Mini Red Bell, Mini Yellow Bell and Mini Brown Bell.

Miniature and Small Variety Okra:  Penta Dragon, Little Lucy.

Miniature and Small Variety Peas: Tom Thumb,  Charmette,  Hatif d’Annonay

Miniature and Small Variety Cucumbers:   Spacemaster 80, West Indian Gherkin, Fanfare, Patio King and Miniature White.

Lettuce: Black Seeded Simpson  (leaf lettuce is better for indoors, not “head” lettuce).  You could grow another leaf lettuce kind than Black Seeded Simpson but it has proved to be a prolific lettuce anywhere it is planted.

More tomorrow – be the first on your block to grow food in your house!   :)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 01:52:38 PM by LvsChant »