Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 237049 times)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #540 on: February 17, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »
GROWING PLANTS FROM SEED INSIDE YOUR HOUSE

I start all seeds inside my house under a grow lamp.  Using this method, I don’t have to worry about squirrels or birds eating the seed or it being too cold outside for the seeds to germinate.  Inside, I can also control how much light they get and when and I control the inside temperature of the house.

Here is how I get seedlings from seed and this method works consistently.  I’ve never had a problem with seeds germinating.  Let me explain the process (if you already have a process that works, good for you):

Buy a bag of organic seed starter mix, and I’m not speaking of potting soil mix as that is for plants after they outgrow the starting cups they are in – you want ORGANIC SEED STARTER MIX.  I don’t have a suggestion as to which brand is better. 

Buy or make some kind of sign to stick in the pots to identify what kind of plant it is.  I bought plastic sticks on which to write the name of the plant.  I’ve seen some people use tongue depressors you get at a drug store.

The pen to use for marking the identification stick:
The writing will stay on the stick as long as the plant stays in the house.  If, however, you put a plant outside, the writing will disappear due to rain or sun – been there, done that – wasted money on a pen where the ink didn’t hold up.  Since I have a bunch of plants in containers that will be outside, it was important to be able to know what the plant is.  Believe me you won’t remember every name of a plant before it produces a veggie.  The best pen to use is this one for $3.50.  This company has the lowest prices on containers and everything else.  You will see plastic identifying sticks on this page with the pen so if you need plastic identifying sticks, they are likely less expensive here than anywhere else.  I also bought containers from this place – low prices for everything related to planting.

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/garden-marker-pen/s

There is one other action you need to take before you plant seeds.  Use a notebook or paper of some kind, or a calendar you have that has space to write on for every day and keep it where you can find it.  Mark on it the names of the seeds you planted and the date you planted them.  Each plant will make food at a different time and that time is on the envelope.  You will not remember the date you planted seed if you don’t write it down.  If you don’t write it down, within a week you probably won’t remember the day you planted them and within a month, you will have no idea when you planted them.  Life is too busy to remember a certain date and if you plant more seeds another day, you will get the planting dates confused.  I printed off a calendar for every month on the net and I write in the space for that day what I planted.  By the time I’m through planting seed indoors for outdoor summer veggies, I will likely have planted forty or more plants on different dates.

Buy 5 oz. paper Dixie cups.  I keep several packages of them so I’ll always have some to start seeds.  Use your ice pick or something that makes really small holes, and punch holes around the cup close to the bottom of the cup, I probably punch about 6-7 little holes.  Then punch several holes, maybe 4-5, in the bottom of the cup.  Next, fill the cup almost to the top with seed starter mix and pat it down so it’s slightly firm but not hard.  Look at the envelope your seed is in.  It will tell you how far down into the soil to put the seed.  A friend sent me tobacco seed and that seed is so tiny, it looks like brown powder.  The instructions with that seed is to put it on top of the soil, period.  That is what I did and I have tobacco seedlings up.  That is the only seed I have that goes on the top of the soil.  Most seeds will be ¼ inch under the soil and a few may be ½ inch.

You may plant as many seeds of one kind as you want in the 5 oz. cup but I base that on how many plants I want to have plus extras as every single seed may not come up.  Based on  how many of those particular plants I want, I may have one, two cups or three cups with that type seed in them.

Plant the seeds in the cups in the depth required.  I keep every plastic container that cookies or other baked goods come in from the grocery – some people call these “clam shell” containers.  I cut them in half and use them for trays in which I place the planted cups.   THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT:  DO NOT WATER SEEDS FROM THE TOP.  You will encourage root rot and death of your seeds.  WATER FROM THE BOTTOM.  Remember, we poked holes in order to water from the bottom.  Put water in the plastic trays, up to ½ or ¾ inch, not more than that.  The water will go into the holes you punched and water the seed from the bottom.  When all that water is gone, add more.  Check those trays every day and add water to the tray when needed.

Now, you have put the trays under the grow lamp with the lamp no higher than 4 inches from the cup.  Give the seeds around 12 hours of light, then turn it off.  If you turn the light on at 9 am, turn it off at 9 pm.  Plants grow at night and use the energy it gathered during the day from the light to grow at night.

Your plants will outgrow those cups.  When they get crowded, it’s time to put them in larger containers.  I bought pots at Walmart for 60+ cents each and they have a water collection part at the bottom of the plant.  That is so the plant doesn't get water logged.  These pots are 4+ inches across the top and 4” deep.  PUT POTTING SOIL MIX in these pots (not the seed starter mix).  I use Miracle Gro potting soil mix – the mix is different than straight potting soil.  I use the “mix” because it has fertilizer in it that lasts six months. 

Using these paper cups, just cut down the side of a cup and take out the plants and toss the cup.  Put as many plants of one kind in the pot that doesn’t crowd the pot.  With cucumbers, I put one plant in each pot to give it plenty of room to grow.  I just separated a bunch of celery plants out of a cup and put 6 plants in one of these larger pots as the plants are still small.  When plants outgrow these larger pots, I will put the plants in large containers filled with Miracle Grow Potting Soil Mix when the danger of frost is over, which will be their final home and move that container outside.  I have some in these larger pots (4x4) that I put in a small greenhouse outside (small greenhouse was $20+ dollars), to “harden off”, meaning get used to being outside.

To grow plants inside completely, you would put the plants in larger containers when they outgrow the 4x4 pots, which will be their final home.  You don’t have to harden these plants since they stay inside the home.  Their light/energy will be the grow lamp not the sun outside.  Keep raising the grow lamp as the plants grow, keep the 4 inch distance from the plants.

How large a container will you need indoors for a dwarf plant?
One dwarf cucumber per one gallon pot.
One dwarf tomato per 2 ½ gallon pot, 12 inch across the top if you can find one in that dimension.  Look at http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/  for a proper container with those dimensions.  Get close to that dimension if you can’t find it exactly and don’t tell the plant about it.   :)

The rest of the dwarf veggie plants will work in a one gallon container.  Put one plant in each one gallon container.  The pot below at Green House Mega Store is $2.00 and it holds 1.33 gallons.  These pots are given in cubic inches.  A one gallon pot is 268.802501 Cubic Inches.  This website has so many type pots at low prices, check all over their website for the type pots you want.  You can go really cheap with thin black plastic pots like garden centers use, or you can get pots that are nicer looking for indoors since they will stay in your house.  Just get one gallon size or larger and the 2 ½ gallon ones for tomatoes.  The $2.00 one is here and down the page are larger ones of this type but there are many types in this store:

http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/panterra-pots/standard-plastic-pots

Now, I’ll think this over and see if I forgot to mention something important about growing food plants in your house.   :D

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #541 on: February 26, 2014, 08:23:01 PM »
POLLINATION – WHAT IS THAT?

Which food plants need no pollination?
Which food plants must be pollinated?
Which food plants can be pollinated by you?
Which food plants need wind, butterflies, or bees to pollinate?

Did you know butterflies can see the color red?  Did you know butterflies have long tongues?  Did you know they like some flowers more than others?

I’ll post this article tomorrow.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #542 on: February 27, 2014, 12:03:01 PM »
POLLINATION

Pollination is simply the transfer of pollen grains from the stamens, where they form, to the pistil.  For food plants that need this transfer, an outside source, whether a bee or butterfly or wind or your hand, must move the pollen to the pistil so food will form.

VEGGIES THAT PRODUCE USING WIND TO POLLINATE OR USE NO OUTSIDE POLLINATOR:
Some hybrids make veggies without pollination but these won’t produce a seed which won’t matter unless you want to save seed.
These are the plants that pretty much do their own thing once they are in fertilized soil, whether that is regular dirt or potting soil mix in a container:
All leafy greens – another name is salad greens.
Beans and peas
Brassicas: broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage and kohlrabi
Below ground veggies like carrots, potatoes, sweet potatoes
Celery
Corn – wind does it but one can shake the plants to help assure pollination.
Herbs
Onion family
Turnips, beets

VEGGIES THAT CAN BE POLLINATED BY HUMAN HAND PLUS WIND PLUS INSECTS:
If I needed this food to live, I would not trust wind for it to happen.  If you had some plants but not a huge number, then one could consider hand pollination, however, if you have a large area of food plants, I would definitely use flowers to attract butterflies and bees.
Eggplant   
Peppers, all kinds

Squashes, all kinds can be pollinated by hand if you want to do it.
Squash have female and male flowers so hand pollination can be done.  What is the difference between female squash and male squash?  Female flowers have something that looks like a tiny squash on the stem just under the flower – a male flower does not have this.  To hand pollinate, use a Qtip or a watercolor type bush and put as much pollen as possible from the male on the female flower.

Tomatoes
Veggies like tomatoes and eggplant and peppers are fertilized by bees’ wings or butterflies’ wings.  You can also shake the plants some but do it gently, or you can use the Qtip or watercolor type paintbrush.   

VEGGIES THAT NEED POLLINATORS:
Berries
Cucumbers – may be pollinated by hand also.
Melons and watermelons 
Tree fruits

I wrote three articles on growing food plants in your house.  Use the above list to determine if you have to pollinate these indoor veggies by hand.

BEES, BUTTERFLIES, PERENNIAL FLOWER PLANTS TO ATTRACT THEM
Bees are the best pollinators with butterflies as the second best.  Certain flowers will attract bees and butterflies more than others.  In choosing flowers, I chose to get perennials since they don’t die off - they will come back year after year.  I don’t want to plant flowers over and over.  I did research to find perennials that attract both bees and butterflies.  They are various colors of Lantana, plus Black Eyed Susan, and Sunflowers.  Most Sunflowers are annuals meaning they die after blooming.  There are perennial ones and those can be read about and ordered from this website.  Or, get the name of the perennial ones off this website and buy anywhere you can find them if you don’t want to order from this place:
http://www.botanical-journeys-plant-guides.com/how-to-grow-sunflowers.html
The two types of Sunflowers I am planting because I already have the seed, are annuals – Velvet Sunflower, and Sunspot Sunflower.  Next year I will plant one of the perennials so I don’t have to plant again.

Bees:
Bees do not see color the way we see color.  Here is the difference in colors we see and what bees see:
We see red - bees see black.
We see orange - bees see yellow/green
We see yellow – bees see yellow/green
We see blue – bees see blue
We see violet – bees see blue
We see purple – bees see blue
We see white – bees see blue green
We see black – bees see black

Butterflies:
Butterflies see three colors as we see - red, yellow, green.  Butterflies seek out green when they lay eggs – they seek red and yellow for nectar.

If one compares bees and butterflies and common colors they see, both see yellow as yellow so yellow flowers are important to both.  Black Eyed  Susan flowers have bright yellow petals so that one is a winner and it is a perennial, plant one time.  Lantana is an amazing flower as there are many combinations of colors on the same plant or they may be all one color.  The choice is up to you.

I tried to buy Lantana at Lowes about two weeks ago, and all they had at that time were solid gold on all the flowers on the plants.  I got one of those so the bees and butterflies will see that yellow.  I will get some variegated ones that have red and yellow and blue and pink all on one plant.  If you haven’t checked out Lantana flowers at Lowes or Home Depot or any nursery, look at them.  If they have a large selection, you will be amazed at the various colors on just one plant. Last year was my first time to buy these flowers and when I went to where they were, a cloud of butterflies were all over them – every color in the rainbow was on those plants.  You bet that is what I wanted – and they bloom ALL SUMMER, color throughout the growing season.  That plant weathered the winter and is putting on new leaves now. 

To me, Lantana, a perennial to plant just one time, is the mother of all flowers for bees and butterflies, with Black Eyed Susan next.  You can see various colors of Lantana at this link, plus notice you will have hummingbirds as well as bees and butterflies:
http://www.crystalgraphics.com/powerpictures/images.photos.asp?ss=lantana

All my flowers are in containers to sit among the food plants which are also in containers.

Food plants and well chosen flowers combined means FOOD.  :)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #543 on: February 27, 2014, 03:05:29 PM »
nice article, Victoria... thanks.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #544 on: April 25, 2014, 09:45:15 AM »
Reminder for Jerusalem Artichokes for edible roots, also known as “Sunchokes”, as tall as ten feet:

http://www.landrethseeds.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5572

They don't carry these any longer. Saw where Oikos has them. What has been your experience with them Victoria? Looking to plant some soon.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #545 on: April 25, 2014, 12:16:58 PM »
oktheniknow, thanks for bringing this up.  You are right that Landreth doesn't have them anymore - I couldn't get them.  I finally found a place, Norton Naturals, that would have them in April so they have them now.  It looks to me the Oiko ones are smoother than the Norton.  Oiko is 7 for $9.00 and 7 is all you need to fill up your yard whether you want them to or not.  Remember, they will take over any plot they are in.  You have to control them.  In a SHTF time, you would always have food as they just keep growing and producing.  Here are the two links, 1st is Norton, then Oiko.

http://www.nortonnaturals.com/product-p/jawf.htm

http://www.oikostreecrops.com/product.asp?P_ID=666&strPageHistory=related

POWER GRID:
I just read another article yesterday about how our electric grid is liable to fail this summer due to it can't produce enough power anymore for the need.  I won't go into the reasons we are losing power plants as most of it is due to government and that gets into political reasons for shutting down types of fuel being used to produce power.  Other reasons for losing power are computer viruses and actual physical destruction of huge transformers plus an electromagnetic pulse, either solar or man made.  Be sure you can survive if the worst happens and you lose power.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #546 on: April 25, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
Wow, Oikos charges $17+ for shipping, while Norton charges $7.70. Think I like Norton... Thanks, Victoria. Good plant to have just in case.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #547 on: April 28, 2014, 05:47:33 PM »
Let us know how they work for you...

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #548 on: April 28, 2014, 09:04:53 PM »
I didnt plant any this year, planted a whole bunch last year, but not in gopher protected beds, knew I would get some losses, but every single one was eaten. My neighbor had given me so many, I did try cooking with some. Put some in Minestrone soup, it needed more cooking time than I would have thought. Maybe next spring I will see if she has extra and try again. She says she cuts them up, tosses in olive oil and bakes.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #549 on: May 10, 2014, 11:21:52 AM »
Got my sunchokes in from Norton. They are all sprouting. Now just need to find a good permanent place for them.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #550 on: May 10, 2014, 11:32:50 AM »
Good for you.  I've been doing other necessary things, going to order White Fuseau today.

Did you know a scientific study shows people who hug tend to live longer than people who don't?  I'll put that study on here.  In the meantime, hug a lot.   ;)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #551 on: May 10, 2014, 03:56:29 PM »
HUGS

I'm trying to locate the actual study document done on the benefit of hugs which was done by the psychiatric department of the University of North Carolina and so far what I am finding are summaries, not the actual study.  I also can't find it on the university's website.  I'll put these summaries together to have one paper explaining this study.  The study was verifiable as medical tests were done on blood pressure, heart rate, and the hormone oxytocin before and after hugs by a "hugger" group and "non-hugger" control group.  Will also explain the hormone oxytocin.   We all have oxytocin and when the level is raised by hugging or other personal touch, it's good for your heart, blood pressure and general well being.  Hugs cause physical changes and they are all good.  Hug some special people today and from now on.   :)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #552 on: May 10, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »
  Hug some special people today and from now on.   :)
I hugged the dog.  :) (My wife is out of town right now).

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #553 on: May 11, 2014, 07:59:20 AM »
ncjeeper,
You love your dog and when you hugged, both of you had physical changes in your bodies.  Hmm, maybe I can't prove the dog had physical changes as dogs weren't in this study, but every living being wants reassurance and comfort and you gave that to your dog.  According to the study, your heart rate lowered and your blood pressure lowered and your oxytocin went up making you feel better.  It appears a hug is medicine but you don't have to swallow it and the side effects are all good, and it's FREE.

I'll work on putting this together and try to post it before today is over. 

Why write about hugs on a prepper thread?  In times of stress, hugs bring down the stress level and make you healthier. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #554 on: May 11, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »
BETTER HEALTH THROUGH HUGGING

First, we need to know what the hormones oxytocin and norepinephrine are.

Oxytocin:
Oxytocin is defined in a number of interesting ways (can we talk?).  Here are ways to define it: 
1. Oxytocin is the hormone of love.
2.  The hormone of love and cuddle chemical.
3.  Oxytocin is a powerful hormone. When we hug or kiss a loved one, oxytocin levels drive up. It acts as a neurotransmitter in the brain. In fact, the hormone plays a huge role in pair bonding.

And you thought you picked your mate by how handsome he was, or how much money he made or education he had, or good job he had or humor he had, etc…  If you are a male, you thought you picked your mate because she had sexy blond/brunette/red hair, or great body, or her excellent intelligence, or humor, etc…

Wellll, even though that person had qualities you liked, what really happened was, the two of you hugged/cuddled/kissed and oxytocin went to high levels making you feel really, really, good and you wanted to be with this person again and again to keep those strong good feelings.  Why don’t you tell your mate he/she causes your oxytocin to go sky high when you hug or kiss.  Then, after he/she stops laughing, tell him/her what it is.  My wish for you is to have a high oxytocin level daily.

Norepinephrine:
The hormone norepinephrine rises during stressful situations, …it increases heart rate and blood flow to the heart, brain and muscles, and prepares the body for the fight-or-flight response.  It works by constricting (narrowing) the blood vessels and increasing blood pressure and blood glucose (sugar) levels.

Let’s say you see a rattlesnake just outside your door.  Your norepinephrine level (and adrenalin) just went up to prepare you for fight or flight.  Let’s say you are under a severe tornado threat and you can’t find your kid who is outside somewhere.   Your fight/flight response (norepinephrine and adrenalin)  kicks in until you get your kid in the house.  Basically, if you perceive a threat, real or not, your norepinephrine level goes up and increases your heart beats, constricts your blood vessels causing higher blood pressure and sugar kicks in to give you energy to deal with the threat.

If you have heart issues, and/or high blood pressure, and/or diabetes, putting excess stress on your heart and upping your blood pressure too much and sugar dumping into your blood stream (or you have low sugar after taking an insulin shot, so not enough or any gets into your blood stream), is  contraindicated for your health at that moment and later.

In a SHTF situation, the stress level will be very high.  Undoubtedly, there will be fatal heart attacks caused by stress and strokes will happen causing paralysis or loss of mental power, or death, due to uncontrolled high blood pressure.   It appears hugging those you love brings heart rates down and reduces high blood pressure and a more peaceful, contented mood happens.   We need to know why this happens so we understand how to make it happen when we and others are under stress.

WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU HUG SOMEONE YOU LIKE OR HE/SHE HUGS YOU?

Two psychologists at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, Karen Grewen and Karen Light, did TWO studies on the effects of hugging.   Here are the two studies as I have summarized them:

Study One
This study consisted of two groups and heart rate and blood pressure baselines were taken before the study in order to document physical changes in heart beat or blood pressure after the procedure, if there were any. 

Couples were chosen who were married or had long-term cohabiting partners.  They were divided into two groups. 

Group one was 100 adults (50 couples) with spouses or long-term partners.  They were asked to hold hands while viewing a 10 minute pleasant video, then to hug for 20 seconds – this was the hugger group.

Group two was made up of 85 adults WITHOUT their spouses or partners, and were asked to rest quietly for that time and think about what they would do if they had the whole day to themselves - this was the nonhugger group.

After this period ended, all were required to give a brief talk in which they spoke about something that had stressed or angered them.  Following the speeches, all had their blood pressure and heart rate measured.

A summary of results is as follows:

Blood Pressure
Systolic and diastolic pressures rose in both groups.

Elevations in both systolic and diastolic pressures were significantly higher in the non-huggers compared to the huggers.

The rise in systolic pressure among the nonhuggers was more than double the rise exhibited by the huggers.

Heart Rate
Heart rates increased by an average of 5 beats/min among huggers.

Heart rates increased by an average of 10 beats/min among nonhuggers.

Although these changes in blood pressure and heart rate were found in both genders, the magnitude of the changes was greater in women compared with men.

The above study clearly shows the physical calming effect hugging has on a couple.  We also know that happens as the pleasure hormone oxytocin level is raised when couples hug and norepinephrine is elevated when stress is present and that raises heart rate and blood pressure.  Hug your mate in the morning to better defeat stress during the day!   Keep your significant other more healthy -   BETTER HEALTH THROUGH HUGGING!

Study Two:
This study involved 76 adults (38 couples) who were married or in a long-term partner relationship.   Each had their level of oxytocin taken.   The spouses/partners who described their relationship “happy” had significant higher levels of oxytocin than the spouses/partners who described themselves as “unhappy”. 

Each couple spoke privately together for 5 minutes about some happening that drew them closer together, then they watched a romantic video and hugged each other.  During the hugging, women had a higher level of oxytocin and lower level of norepinephrine and lower blood pressure compared to men.  Dr. Grewen believes oxytocin causes physiologic changes that help protect a woman’s heart and their “nesting” tendency benefits their mate and children and themselves.

The conclusions we can gather from this study is, couples who are happy with each other have a physical health advantage due to higher levels of oxytocin and feel pleasure more often.  Every husband can give his wife/partner better health by hugging his wife/partner often to raise her oxytocin level as it rises higher with her than him.  (I would add there is likely to be more bedroom activity if hugs are given freely during the day as oxytocin is a powerful attitude adjuster).  :)

Hugging is free and the healthy physical effects are powerful -  add this aid to your long term storage for emergencies and practice often now. 

HAVE YOU HUGGED TODAY?

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #555 on: May 11, 2014, 04:59:03 PM »
An essential component to what you're presenting is the presence of a significant other available for hugging. Since we're all about redundancy here, I'd propose the life skill of being able to hug or otherwise touch other people, within whatever boundaries you and your significant other have established regarding that.

That way if your significant other is too injured, sick, or just needs some alone time, receiving the physical benefits of touch (doesn't necessarily have to be a hug) isn't out of the question or unknown/unsafe territory.

This is one reason I cannot recommend Cuddle Parties enough. Learning how to experience the benefits of touch with strangers in a manner that's fully comfortable for all parties is an incredible life skill, IMO, that can be especially needed in times of high stress. Any sort of unwelcome or uncomfortable touch, or anything someone feels pressured into, is unlikely to have beneficial physiological effects. Therefore it's important to have a good sense of boundaries and consent, and pay close attention to what others are comfortable with. Once familiar with these things, all it takes is a person or two initiating and it can create a safe environment to allow for more touch/hugs than most people are accustomed to.

A roomful of hugged people is a pretty amazing thing to experience. :D Tends to have a lot of laughter, tears, open conversation, and trust in the air. I'd definitely think it can make any SHTF situation much less traumatic, heads thinking clearer, and more positive things happening overall. Great posts, Victoria!

Offline Poolboy

• Prepper
« Reply #556 on: October 01, 2014, 02:48:07 AM »
Are you still writing Victoria?  I came across this thread about 2 weeks ago and have finally read everything.  But I see your last post was May so I was wondering where you've been?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #557 on: October 01, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Poolboy (except you are a girl), LvsChant, All:

It must be mental telepathy as I got messages from you two and I was already thinking I needed to speak to Ebola and what I added to my medical preps, AND update my change of location.

I now live in North Texas, a bit north of Dallas, yes, where the first Ebola case is hospitalized.  I am engaged to a retired earth scientist/geologist.  It was a meeting of the minds and we should be together instead of living a dull single life.  I will be 81 next Monday and he is 79, so I will be marrying a younger man.  :o)

I will write a bit about Ebola, hopefully answering some questions you might have, and list and explain the medical items I just ordered.  I'll have that posted sometime today or tomorrow morning.  I'll start writing it now.

Offline Poolboy

• Prepper
« Reply #558 on: October 01, 2014, 01:09:24 PM »
So glad you are back!  Now I understand the long absence...you had the love bug hit you!  Congratulations!

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #559 on: October 02, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
EBOLA

I now live about 20 miles away from the Dallas hospital where the Ebola patient is.  I don't know what part of Dallas he is from.   Yesterday, I heard he interacted with 80 people after he had symptoms so those people are being informed and are being watched for symptoms for 21 days.   He also interacted with five children and they attended five different schools for two days before they were identified and removed from school.  Those schools have performed cleaning methods and children in those schools are being monitored. 

Here is my plan to determine if we should remain in our house for an extended period of time:  My county is next to Dallas County.  If someone in my county is reported to have Ebola but that person is still far away from us, we will limit visits to the grocery store and other places and use sterilizing fluid on hands when we are out.  If another person in my county (but not living with the first person), tests positive for Ebola, we would remain in our house for an extended time until the Ebola threat is gone.

I hope there is no Ebola infected person who shows up in your area.  Think about your plan – when you would stay at home and not go out – what would trigger that response from you? 

Most of my medical “cleanness” preps are at my other house, about three hundred miles away. I was planning on getting “clean” preps for flu in case one of us got that, so I ordered those items this morning. 

Now we have Ebola:
Where did the name "Ebola" come from?  It is the name of a river in Africa and that is how this disease was named "Ebola".  Ebola is in body fluids and doesn't travel in the air. However, saliva is a body fluid so the patient should not be close enough to cough and fluid travel to the caretaker due to that cough.

What did I get?
Some N95 masks with clear plastic eye/facial cover attached. The clear plastic will keep fluids off the face/eye area. Don't see a need for better masks for Ebola due to it not being transferred in air.  I did get some better respirator type masks that would be helpful to limit flu transmission.   Ordered new medical exam gloves in medium (for me) and extra large (he has large hands).   Ordered body covers.  These are tissue thin to wear over clothes while caring for a patient and then stripping them off in the trash after wearing.  Any fluid would go in the trash and not be on you.

Below are the Amazon links to the supplies I ordered plus gloves I ordered from Walmart.
If you suspect a family member has Ebola, call 911 to get that person immediately to isolation in a hospital. You would not try to care for that person in your house.

If you fly, DO NOT USE THE FIRST BATHROOM YOU SEE WHEN YOU GET OFF THE PLANE.  I done this behavior for years when I was flying around the world, and here is why:   Most people hate the bathrooms on a plane but may be forced to use one under duress, HOWEVER, when passengers get off the plane, they head TO THE FIRST BATHROOM they see. A person sick with Ebola will also go there and everywhere they leave fluid that was on their hands or on something they placed on a surface, some of their fluid is going to be there somewhere when they walk out.

Don't go to the first bathroom you see.  Keep walking and use a bathroom away from the landing passenger area.

My friends, always be prepared – trust yourself  to save you, not the government.
Here are the links on Amazon:

3M 1860 Medical Mask N95  20 for $24.00
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GUP7UC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A219GTKA5R99XY

Dynarex Procedure Face Masks - with Ear Loop and Plastic Shield – Blue  50 for $29.10
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0050CRVZA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGJEUGX24DRH4

Medline Basic Cover Gown Yellow/X-Large/Qty 50 - $37.24 & FREE Shipping
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005PGBV1G/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A23E2C033ZN7B7

Medline Mediguard Non-Sterile Powdered Latex Exam Gloves, Beige, Medium, 100 Count - $13.20
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003JNUP82/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Liberty 2800ML Latex Medical Examination Glove, Powdered, Disposable, 5 mil Thickness, X-Large (Box of 100) - $7.80
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C9PA6MG/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I also ordered some Nitrile examining gloves from Walmart (200 for $19.33):
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Kimberly-Clark-Professional-Nitrile-Exam-Gloves-Sterling-Gray-200-count/23894734

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #560 on: October 03, 2014, 03:44:20 PM »
Good information, Victoria... glad to hear all is well with you. Best wishes on the upcoming wedding...

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #561 on: June 24, 2016, 04:26:18 PM »
LvsChant AND ALL:

THIS IS VICTORIA.  I came to the site to copy the articles I wrote and save them on my computer.  I have them saved separately, but wanted them saved as they are written.  It took a few days to copy all the articles.

I hope all of you are still prepping and in good health.
Love,
Victoria

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #562 on: June 24, 2016, 05:52:56 PM »
Glad to see you back Victoria.. you are back?

Cedar

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #563 on: June 24, 2016, 09:45:36 PM »
Yes, I am back to be helpful to any who are prepping.  Thanks for responding.
Victoria

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #564 on: June 25, 2016, 09:19:57 AM »
Glad your back...

I enjoy and learn from your input on the forum.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #565 on: June 25, 2016, 09:47:19 AM »
Glad your back...

I enjoy and learn from your input on the forum.

I will post an article about a really easy, fairly cheap, way to prepare for a short time emergency.  I didn't think of this easy, fail proof method, someone else did.  Today, have to go to dentist to have a tooth out, RATS!  Maybe I can write the article later today after tooth is out, while I am on pain meds - that's the ticket - lots of pain meds.    :)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #566 on: June 26, 2016, 11:51:59 AM »
EASY QUICK EMERGENCY FOOD STORAGE - CEREAL – YES, CEREAL – KEEP READING

I read someone stores only cereal for an emergency and asked myself why I had not thought of this as it is perfectly logical.

How many types/kinds of boxed cereal are there these days?  The grocery store aisle shelves are crammed with them.  For easy, quick storage for as long as you want to prepare, buy different kinds so you won’t get tired of eating one kind.  If you study the cereals at the grocery store, you will find many kinds you never knew were there. 

I am serious about this, study the various types.  Don’t forget quick cook oatmeal for a hot cereal to go with your morning coffee (yes, you are going to have coffee).  If you get the really quick cooking oatmeal that comes in boxes with separate packets, there are many different flavors and some are sugar free boxes.  I especially like the sugar free maple/brown sugar ones but will buy various flavors of the quick cook oatmeal.  The objective here is to buy different types of all cereal, cold and hot ones.

The sealed boxes of cereal will last for years on your pantry shelf or anywhere you want to store them inside your house (on shelves or under beds or in closets).  Do not store them outside as animals will love to eat them plus you don’t want to store them in outside heat. 

Really, friends, you could store so many varieties you wouldn’t have to eat the same kind for weeks or months according to how many varieties you get.

IMPORTANT BENEFIT FROM CEREAL:

Cereal companies have tried to outdo other companies nutritionally in their cereals.  You will get vitamins, grain, protein, fruit, and fiber from these cereals plus there are the organic cereals if that is your interest.  My son, the director/producer of documentary films who lives in London, only eats organic cereal (sometimes your kids have opinions different from yours).  Now, if regular cereal, not organic, was the only food available, he would eat it.  Organic cereal costs more than regular cereal so I will not have organic.  We are talking survival here, not more expensive organic cereal.  However, if you have plenty of money and prefer organic, do it.

SUGAR IN CEREAL:

I can hear it now from some people, “companies put too much sugar in cereal”.  We are talking survival here, not total absence of sugar.  In an emergency situation, people are more active because they have to be in order to keep everything going if power is out so more sugar than usual is used up in the more active person.  I am not going to worry about a little more sugar and I do take a diabetic pill every day.  If sugar is your concern, read the labels and buy cereal with less sugar than other kinds.  Don’t assume every cereal has too much sugar, read the labels.   

One more comment about cereal:
Some cereals can be eaten right out of the box, no bowl or milk needed.  This gives you instant snacks to eat between meals or whenever.  Consider this when determining which cereals to buy – get some that will be good hand to mouth snacks.

MILK FOR THE CEREAL:

Instant milk for storage:
Very important, I suggest, do not buy large boxes of bulk instant milk and here is why:  If that box absorbs humidity, the instant milk will turn into a solid brick.  For that reason, I buy instant milk in boxes with separate one quart packages.  I buy them at Walmart which is the cheapest price I have found.  I have numerous boxes.  For longer term storage, good for many years, I have professionally packed milk powder.  Milk powder is different than instant milk.  Early in these articles, I explained the difference so you can find the milk explanation there.

TO MAKE INSTANT MILK TASTE LIKE “REAL” MILK:

You know, some people are very particular about their milk and will complain if the taste of their milk is not like they are used to.  I don’t have much patience for these adult people because in an emergency I can deal with milk not tasting exactly as I am used to.  However, if I had young children, I would make their milk taste like their regular milk.   

I have done this several times after hurricanes took out power for days and I made instant milk taste like regular milk.  Buy the largest bottles of instant creamer available.  The ones I have are really large, Great Value, from Walmart.  After you have added the water and made instant milk, put some of the creamer in the milk and stir and it makes it thicker and taste almost like regular milk.  I can’t tell you how much creamer to add – just do it once now so you know how much to add in an emergency situation.

Now, you have many boxes of different cereals, both hot and cold, to keep your taste buds from getting bored of only one or two cereals, plus you have quart packages of instant milk. 

WATER

It takes water to make instant milk.  Very early in these articles, start at the beginning of the articles, you will find how to have good water.  If you have no way to have good water right now, either store your own as I explain later, or go to the grocery and buy Ozarka water in jugs.  I have written about Ozarka water because their jugs are thick, won’t break down, and they are made to stack on top of each other.  I have many stacked in the bottom of a closet.  When I used some of these after a hurricane came through, I kept those excellent jugs and put my own good water in them.

Some of you wrote me back then that Ozarka water is not sold in your state.  If that is your case, follow this direction:  Don’t buy water in thin jugs and don’t store water in thin used milk jugs – it is almost impossible to get the milk taste out plus all thin jugs will break down and you will have water on your floor.  Buy thicker jugs.

You can also use thick jugs that had soft drinks or fruit juice in them.  Wash them out to get flavor out and fill them with your good water.  I know from experience, don’t use grape juice jugs – I could never get the grape flavor out.  However, if grape flavor is all you have, do use them.  Grape flavored water is better than NO water.

In the water section of these articles close to the beginning, read about a Big Berkey water purifier.  This is a purifier, not just a filter.  With a Berkey, you can put water from a ditch in it and good water comes out at the bottom.  If you have to use water with dirt in it, have cheap big coffee filters and filter the dirty water until it is as clear as you can get it before putting it in the Berkey.  The less dirt that goes in the Berkey, the better off the filter purifier is before you have to change it.

THINK CEREAL, MILK AND WATER – STORE THEM NOW AND FEEL SECURE YOU WILL MAKE IT FINE IF AN EMERGENCY HAPPENS 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #567 on: June 28, 2016, 10:37:24 AM »
ALL METHODS OF FOOD PREPS AND WEST VIRGINIA FLOOD

These articles explain various types of food preps for an emergency.  What we have to remember is each person is at a different point in his/her life and what works for some does not work for others.

Consider a person who has NO food preps.  The Cereal Prep would work for that person to quickly have food stored along with milk and water.  That gives the person fast security to know he/she has something to keep him/her alive right then.

For a person who already has significant food storage, the Cereal Prep would give variety quickly.  That is what I am doing – adding a way to have fast food ready as soon as it is bought. 

A REAL PROBLEM RIGHT NOW FOR THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE IN WEST VIRGINIA

Thousands of people in West Virginia have absolutely nothing as floods destroyed everything they had.  Also, on the news yesterday, a report said many thousands of people in West Virginia have no power even if they still have a standing house.  I hope these people who still have their house, have food of some kind stored and a way to cook it and have a way to stay cool in this hot summer weather.  Cereal Prep would have helped these people to have instant food.

Due to the flood, their water from a utility company is likely to be contaminated so I hope they had stored water.  I have read only about 1% of people store anything.  Therefore, most people in West Virginia had nothing stored.

I feel so bad for the people whose house was destroyed.  What could have helped these people?  Bug out bags is the answer for people who have to leave their house fast.  Bug out bags are explained in these articles.  In summary, I have two bug out bags.  One is not too heavy to carry, it is a professionally packed back pack I bought and the other one is on wheels that I packed.  Between the two bags, there is water for over five days and food to last that long, plus many other things needed to sustain life for numerous days.  In the backpack, there is room for a change of clothes, your meds, and came with medical supplies, bathroom supplies, tarp with rope attached to the corners, survival tools, food bars, water, and much more.  If you need that info. on bug out bags, including the name of the very good prepared backpack and a list of everything in it, search these articles for that.

Be thankful you are not in an emergency situation right now as some of our citizens are in West Virginia.  Give thought to your emergency preps – and buy an extra box of cereal the next time you go to the grocery.  If you grocery shop once a week, you would have 52 boxes of cereal in a year.  Buy two boxes each time and you have 104 boxes in a year.  I couldn’t wait that long – I see ten boxes in my cart that will give me a fuzzy warm feeling and will keep adding to those.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:43:52 AM by Victoria »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #568 on: July 07, 2016, 11:06:03 PM »
Hi Victoria... glad to see you back here again. We do need to not get complacent about our food stores... great reminder.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #569 on: July 08, 2016, 09:02:28 AM »
Hi Victoria... glad to see you back here again. We do need to not get complacent about our food stores... great reminder.

Lvs, I stayed up late last night as Dallas police officers were being killed and wounded.  Five are dead and seven wounded.  I saw it as it was first happening.  Downtown Dallas is 20 min. from our house.  I'm not speaking of the march or politics, just the fact that it was a sad feeling to know these men were being killed as I was watching.

All of downtown Dallas is closed.  No worker can get to his/her job.  No customers can buy goods in that large area.  No student can get to the college in that area or any public school.  This is how fast something one has no control over, can change his/her life.  Many thousands of people are now at home instead of work or school or having financial business at banks or stores in that area.

Garland, Texas, is about 20 min. from our house in another direction.  Garland is where two terrorists were shot and killed before they got into a building where the art contest about Mohammad was.  I watched that go down on TV also, thinking how close that was.   Years ago, I was a school counselor/psychological examiner in Garland.

Since I am so old, 83, I remember when America was safe.  No one locked their house or car and left the keys in the car when they parked it.  I don't think we will ever live that way again.  Now, we have to be aware of our surroundings, and being in large gatherings. 

Churches are soft targets.  Our Catholic pastor was a sniper in the Army.  I feel sure he is armed in church and I would bet the deacons are armed, too, in order to protect the congregation should the need arise. 

All of us need to consider our safety wherever we are every day.  I just see on TV that the sniper lived in Mesquite, Texas.  Years ago, I was a school teacher in Mesquite.  It is about 30 min. from our house now.

To all who read this: Please be aware these horrors could happen where you are.  You are not safe just because it hasn't happened YET where you are.