Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 261962 times)

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »
I have a hamburger press i use for small tortilla's. Everything has 3 or more uses.
keep up the great work Victoria, thanks

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #121 on: March 07, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »
SPROUTS and PARACORD – I know, strange combination, but I forgot to mention Paracord earlier.

Sprouts
Before a veggie grows up to be an adult, it begins as a tiny sprout.  That sprout is packed with every nutrient needed to grow an adult plant.  By the time it’s an adult, it’s already used most of the nourishment of the sprout.  You only eat the left-overs when you eat the adult.  Eating one tiny sprout is eating an abundance of nutrients and anti-oxidants – not the left-overs, and sprouts are easy to digest.  If you eat a sprout, then, you eat more nutrients, more anti-oxidants to help prevent disease, than in the adult plant.  Am I getting through to you? 

Why are you eating those worn out adult plants and not the nutrient packed sprouts that make those plants?  Well, I don’t know, maybe because you didn’t know how nutritious they were, or you don’t know where to buy them, or because someone said they were “health food” and you didn’t want any part of health food.  If you’ve never eaten one but are sure you don’t like them – be brave and try some. 

You can grow fresh green veggies in the form of sprouts in four to seven days in your house and have a fresh salad packed full of nutrients.  You don’t need dirt or fertilizer or pots or sun. 

In an emergency situation, using stored food, sprouts give you fresh greens anytime you want to grow them.

So, how does one grow sprouts – must be complicated, right?  No, it just takes a container in which to grow them, and rinsing/draining them everyday for not many days – that’s it.   

The most nutritious of the sprouting seeds, to me, is broccoli sprouts.  No, they don’t taste like full grown broccoli – they’re crunchy, tasty, little green plants.  They have more anti-oxidants than any other sprout.  I make a small salad of cut up tomatoes, cubed avocado, honey mustard dressing, and broccoli sprouts that I grow in my kitchen.  I use a Sproutmaster, put the seeds in there, rinse/drain everyday and I’ve got spouts in 4-5-6 days, whenever I want to stop their growth.  They store well in the fridge for days in their container (putting in fridge stops their growth at that stage).  If there was no fridge available, I would stagger “planting” smaller amounts to keep some ready to eat and some still growing.   

I have stored sprouting seeds of all kinds and combinations.  They can also be stored in a freezer for as long as one has a freezer.  This assures fresh greens/vitamins/anti-oxidants will be available to have with stored food.  There are many sprout companies on the internet from which to order sprouting seeds and get information about each one.  I also have broccoli sprouting seed from Walton.

In your planning, consider sprouts for nutrition with stored food.  If you have children, let them grow sprouts.

Paracord
Do you have rope if something needs to be tied together or tied down or fixed with rope?  I saw a TV program where the guy used Paracord to fix something and realized I had no rope of any kind.  How dumb was that – no rope at all.  Then, I read about Paracord and knew that was the rope for me.   Mine is made by a certified US Govt. Contractor (actually made in the US), 500 lb. test, 7 strand core.  I’m sure you guys know about Paracord, especially if you were in the military.  If necessary for the job, the rope can also be taken apart and each stand used – this is the most versatile strong rope for any job requiring rope.  If for no other reason, it ties down outside equipment/chairs, etc., before a storm/hurricane hits here.   I kept trying to get it at a local Academy and they were always out, so got it from Amazon.

The Times In Which We Live
When I began writing these articles, a gallon of gas was a reasonable price – now it isn’t and it’s going up almost every day - so is the price of food and everything else we need to have in order to live.  I have stepped up preparing, completing what I know I need to do.  I just saw on Fox News that Saudi Arabia has started arresting protestors.  That is an ominous sign.  I believe our future will not be as easy as it has been for the past fifty or more years.    Consider your present and prepare to sustain that as best you can.  I wish the best to all of you. 

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #122 on: March 07, 2011, 09:26:21 PM »
Dear Victoria, Was beginning to worry about you. I so enjoy your posts, was hoping you were on vacation or something like that.  We are never to old to learn, and have learned a bunch from you.  Glad to have you back posting.  May just have to try sprouting, now. I have eaten them for years, just never tried to do them my own.

Ali-K

« Reply #123 on: April 02, 2011, 06:38:55 AM »
Hi, Victoria.  This is my first post, and I just wanted to tell you how how helpful this has been for me.  I really appreciate it.  I'm very new to prepping and this has given me a lot of useful information.  Thank you!

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #124 on: April 02, 2011, 10:21:13 AM »
Ali-K, thanks for making your first post here; I'm glad you have begun prepping.  We buy auto insurance in case we're in an accident; buy house insurance in case our house is damaged; buy life insurance in case something happens to us; it makes sense, then, to buy insurance in case our lifestyle is threatened by a natural disaster or man made disaster.  This insurance, after having a place to live, is making sure we  have a source of potable water, food, way to cook, light, warmth, cooling, home medical care, security and communication. 

We need to provide our own life style insurance so we don't have to depend on someone else to provide it in an emergency situation.  You are beginning to do that and will feel better with every prep you make.

Our country and the world is changing for the worse and it seems to me the pace is picking up.  The more preps you make now, the better off you will be.  Good luck on your journey.

Ali-K

« Reply #125 on: April 04, 2011, 04:58:44 AM »
Thanks again, Victoria.  I appreciate the encouragement.  It seems like everyone I know thinks I've lost my mind, but I can't understand how they don't see what I see.

I have saved your posts to a Word doc and I am going to print them out and use them to help me plan and organize my preps better. ;D

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #126 on: April 04, 2011, 08:34:58 AM »
Ali-K, you are smarter than your friends.  A smart person can identify problems more than a less smart person can.  In other words, the dumber a person is, the happier they are because they can't identify problems.  This also means the smarter you are, the more worry you have since you can identify problems.

I've always thought if there's a problem, I can fix it, just have to find the solution - so I'm a problem solver.  You're a problem solver, too - you have identified the problem, and you're solving it.

You can read on this forum to keep giving you encouragement, and maybe talk less about this to friends.  If you have family living close to you and they think you're nuts, you can set aside some rice, dried beans and bean seasoning for them, with or without telling them, and know you have them covered for some food.  I did this for a widow living next to me and she never knew I had food for her.

Keep preparing, you smart person.

Offline sunnisusie

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #127 on: April 04, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
Wonderful Post!  Learning so much!

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #128 on: April 04, 2011, 07:45:42 PM »
Hi, sunnisusie, you're another smart person.  Glad you posted here.

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
« Reply #129 on: April 17, 2011, 07:03:23 PM »
This has to be one of the most informative posts I have read here. Thank you so much Victoria for your common sense take on things. For some odd reason, when I am reading your posts it seems like I am listening to a family member. Why that is I have no idea. Looking forward to hearing more from you.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #130 on: April 18, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »
Hi, Wrangell.  You said, "For some odd reason, when I am reading your posts it seems like I am listening to a family member. Why that is I have no idea." 

I write like I'm talking to you, which I am - welcome to my "family" of readers - and stay warm in Alaska with your stored provisions.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2011, 09:37:16 AM »
Victoria just love all you have shared.  Wish this was the first thing that I had read as it would have made everything seem less overwhelming.  I can't express how helpful this has been. Thank you Hugs

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »
Victoria,

Thank you so very much.  This is like re-reading the old Foxfire books my mom used to have, except kind of better, because this is all stuff that I can do now.  I may not be able to go out and get all of the dehydrated stuff and whatnot, but I can buy another plunger and put it away, I can buy a can of tuna/chicken/ham every weekly trip to the store and whatnot.  Thank you!

~Badger

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2011, 09:12:24 AM »
Roundabouts and BadgerAngel,
I'm glad the articles helped both of you.  My husband is in the hospital dying from cancer.  I'm glad I wrote these articles before this happened.  I'll come back to the forum when I can.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2011, 09:15:20 AM »
Victoria, It makes me very sad to read this. All of my good thoughts are heading your way.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #135 on: August 06, 2011, 12:23:17 PM »
I'm very sorry to hear this news, Victoria. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Offline BadgerAngel

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do not get between Badger & her coffee *snarl*
« Reply #136 on: August 06, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
Oh, I am so very sorry.

Offline flagtag

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #137 on: August 06, 2011, 02:52:32 PM »
My prayers are with you and your family. God bless you.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #138 on: August 07, 2011, 08:37:32 AM »
I'm so sorry Victoria.   Many thoughts and prayers headed your way.   

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #139 on: August 08, 2011, 08:56:27 PM »
You and your husband are in my prayers.

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
I'll keep you in my prayers as well.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #141 on: August 09, 2011, 05:36:12 AM »
Sending you love hugs and warm thoughts.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #142 on: August 11, 2011, 09:03:04 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear that, Victoria...keeping you both in my prayers.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #143 on: August 15, 2011, 08:36:53 AM »
And from me, Victoria...

Offline Canadian

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »
Victoria, you have my utmost support and positive thoughts.  I HAVE BEEN IN YOUR SHOES.  Take some time.....keep in touch.....this is your biggest challenge yet.

Offline cdnshooter

• Prepper
« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2011, 03:26:55 PM »
Prayers sent,

Ben

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2011, 08:30:25 PM »
Victoria, I am so sorry that you must endure seeing your loved one go through this.  I hope you feel our support.

Offline JanuaryJones

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #147 on: November 28, 2011, 06:58:10 PM »
Victoria-I am so sorry for your situation with your husband. I also want to thank you for your posts. I'm a newbie prepper and your posts gave me alot of good information-love your writing style too. You write as a friend.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2012, 07:50:03 PM »
I have come back to see what's happening on the forum. The format looks different - have to figure it out.

Bill died last August 12 of lymphoma (cancer) in the brain.  I thank all of you for your comments regarding his illness.

I have added a family member, a Yorkie puppy named Prissy.  She is five months old.  I'm trying to get it across to her that the house is not food, nor is it a chew toy.  I hope the house lasts until she figures this out.

I'll be back with another article as I have found some new "stuff" to tell you about.
Victoria

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »
I am saddened to hear of your loss Victoria.

Welcome back to the forum. I have missed learning from you.