Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 263410 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #150 on: January 08, 2012, 09:41:51 PM »
So sorry to hear about the death of your husband, Victoria. We are really glad to have you back here on the forum and hope you are doing OK yourself.

LC

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2012, 05:20:13 AM »
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss Victoria. 

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #152 on: January 09, 2012, 08:33:46 AM »
My condolences, Victoria.  Good to have you back.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #153 on: January 09, 2012, 10:30:09 AM »
So glad to have you back and may I offer smochies and belly rubs to Prissy.  Of course a big hug to you.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #154 on: January 09, 2012, 10:38:05 AM »
Hi Victoria,

Glad you are back, it's a joy to read your tidbits!  I'll be keeping you in prayer...

~TG

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #155 on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:18 PM »
My condolences on the loss of your husband, Victoria.
We've missed you and it's good to have you back.
You're gonna have to post pics of little miss Prissy, you know.   

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #156 on: January 09, 2012, 02:53:29 PM »
Prissy, Christmas, 5 mths. old

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 09:34:32 PM by LvsChant »

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #157 on: January 09, 2012, 02:58:41 PM »
OMGosh!  She is soooooo adorable!  I love her!  ;D

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #158 on: January 09, 2012, 03:08:25 PM »
Prissy, Christmas, 5 mths. old Yorkie

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #159 on: January 09, 2012, 03:34:55 PM »
LibertyBelle, Sorry for the huge picture.  I didn't know how to upload pictures, went to Photo Bucket, joined, figured that out, then posted the pic. but didn't know it was going to be that huge.  Tried to cancel that big picture post and thought I did.  Went back to Photo Bucket and re-sized it and added picture frame. 

So, I do all that and click back on the thread and there's that huge picture still there.

The way I got her was both terrible and wonderful.  Saw there were Yorkies available not too far from me, but it was way down in the sticks.  The road got to nothing and there was nothing around.  Began to wonder if I should be there alone.  Finally found the house.

A man came out of the house and I went upon the porch.  He started to open the door, then stopped and asked, "Are you afraid of dogs?"  I said, "Not if they are Yorkies."  I had no idea what was about to happen.  He opened the door and 44 Yorkies bounded onto the porch.  As we went in these Yorkies of all ages, were jumping, barking, some snapping at my heels, they were totally out of control.  I was a new "thing" and they had gone nuts. 

I wasn't afraid they would bite me - Yorkies won't do that unless there is danger and I was not danger to them.  They were just all over me.  These 45 Yorkies live in that house - in the house.  We went in the kitchen with them still yapping all over me and I sat up on a stool to get out of them.

Then, the wife brought this little female Yorkie out of a room (she was not in the 44 that ganged up on me).  She was number 45, the newest one, 5 weeks old.  The woman handed her to me and this little puppy stuck her head into the corner of my elbow and didn't move.  I had the strongest feeling she was saying, "Get me out of here!".  I had two requirements, she had to have a lot of hair and a proper Yorkie face.  She did.  I paid cash, got the papers, and we left.  Put her in a pink carry case in the car and we were gone.

When I got her home, put her in a pink puppy bed and she was home forever.

Forty-five dogs in a house was worrying me.  I hated that place.  Prissy would never have made it with that many older dogs - she would always be the last in line for water or food.  The woman told me she was different than the others - that she wouldn't sleep with the older dogs - she got by herself on a pad by the fireplace and stayed there all night.  Well, no wonder - she weighed less than 2 lbs. and they were monsters!

I didn't know she would turn out to be so beautiful when I saved her out of that mess, but her coloring now is so lovely and special.  The top of her head is turning all silver and her legs and paws will be all very light blond.  Her facial hair is still turning, not sure what the final hair will look like.

Yorkies are the only dogs that has the gene to turn their hair color.  They are all black and tan when born, then they start changing color about 4 mths. old.

Prissy is a wonderful little girl with all the advantages a precious puppy should have.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #160 on: January 09, 2012, 08:06:36 PM »
What a heart-wrenching story...you literally saved her life!  But that's all behind her now and she will have a wonder life from now on.   I love happy endings (or rather new beginnings) like this.  :)           

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #161 on: January 18, 2012, 10:42:49 AM »
oh my gosh I could just smooch on her all day!!!  love hearing the story.  thanks for sharing  :)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2012, 11:17:09 AM »
Well, friends, my eyes have had it.  I have cateracts on both eyes and changing the prescription of my glasses had worked so far to keep me driving and seeing  They have reached the point I can't drive at night and the doc doesn't want me driving, period.  My husband used to do all the driving, but now it's up to me to do it.

I'll have one eye surgery a short time from now, then the other one done two weeks after that.  I don't know what to expect as regards typing on my computer, so I'll have to see what happens as I go along.

When one eye has the operation and it sees right, what happens when one sees out of both eyes then -one right and one still screwed up?

When this gets fixed, I want to write an article that includes propane stoves to use in the house.  Yes, there are some of those now.

I'll be back when my eyes are just swell (the doctor assures me they will be great).  I didn't want anyone cutting on my eyes until it was necessary and now it is.

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2012, 11:34:24 AM »
I'll be back when my eyes are just swell (the doctor assures me they will be great).  I didn't want anyone cutting on my eyes until it was necessary and now it is.

Don't worry...you'll do great!  My father-in-law had his cataracts removed last year (first from one eye, then two weeks later the other) and he couldn't be happier with the results. He went from being near blind and not seeing well enough to drive even during the day (had a handyman who helped him in exchange for rent), to now driving all over the place, day or night, and only needing a pair of cheap drug store glasses to read the newspaper. 

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2012, 11:39:36 AM »
Oh Victoria sorry to hear that.  I am sure you will be better than ever.  Take care of yourself and your pup.   
BIG  HUGS

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
LibertyBelle, what was his sight like after one eye was done and the other wasn't done?

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #166 on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:39 PM »
LibertyBelle, what was his sight like after one eye was done and the other wasn't done?

After a couple of days, he ended up putting a patch over the eye that still had the cataract, as it was easier to see out of just the good eye than trying to focus with both eyes since they were so different. But he only had the patch on for just a few days, then he got the second eye done and has been good to go ever since.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #167 on: January 18, 2012, 01:05:49 PM »
Thanks, I had a feeling I would have to block out the un-fixed eye.  I hate this interruption in my eyesight. I'll be back to tell you how it's going.

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2012, 05:53:17 PM »
Hi, Victoria, fellow Texan --

I just found this thread and have really gotten a lot out of your posts.  Thanks!

I'm so sorry to hear of your husband's passing.  The body passes, but the spirit lives on, I believe.  You will see him again.

What a cute puppy Prissy is!  Her breeder sounds like a puppy mill.  If she is pedigreed (with papers), you should report the breeder to the AKC and possibly the Humane Society.  There is no way a reputable breeder would keep dogs in that condition.  How on Earth could they even tell who sired puppies?  How could they keep track of illnesses and heat cycles?  I pray that Prissy is a healthy little girl who will love you for many, many years.

Regarding cataract surgery:  My mother-in-law had severe cataracts and was scared to death of the surgery to fix them.  Finally, when she was about 95 she decided to have the procedure.  The day of surgery she went to the office, was placed in a chair, drops in her eyes and waited a few minutes.  The doctor came in, stayed about 5 minutes, then left.  She thought he was just examining her eyes.  Later the nurse came in and Mom asked, "When will the doctor do the surgery?"  The nurse answered, "Why, it's already done!"  Mom realized that all that worrying was for nought. 

I'm sure your surgery will be just as quick and easy.  BTW, Mom didn't even use the pain meds she was prescribed.  Her vision was so good she no longer needed glasses!!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »
My dad had cataract surgery a few moths ago.  Went well, no problems.  In between, when only one eye was done, he was able to muddle along and even to drive (although I don't think he ought to have done that!).  So you'll just have to see how it affects you personally.

Offline Bradbn4

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2012, 05:22:22 PM »
Thank you for sharing - that is one wonder little pup.

My had just finished having his second eye worked on (cataracts)- one thing he did indicate that colors were more vivid, and he has to go back into reading glasses.

Offline GearingUp

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #171 on: February 14, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »
Oh thank you so much for all of this!! Taking extensive notes  ;)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #172 on: February 14, 2012, 03:44:18 PM »
GearingUp, I'm glad these articles are helping you prep.

There are many dangers to our country now, including the middle east ones that will likely affect our country, too. 

I'm going through my list and building up those items I feel are necessary.  I suggest everyone take preparing seriously now.

About eyes, everyone: Left eye will be done March 1.  Getting medical tests done now in preparation for that surgery.  I will be glad when this is over for both eyes - I don't have time for this aggravation.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
basic TV reception
« Reply #173 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:13 AM »
Victoria,
Take good care of yourself. Know you'll be glad to get beyond the cataract surgery.

One item of note I'll add about TVs. We have had cable TV for several years. Don't watch it really, and what we do watch are local channels. So what we did was get rid of cable at a savings of $300 a year. Bought an indoor HD antenna from http://gomohu.com/ for $35. Now we get 12 local channels in HD, all the networks, plus a couple of educational ones. Realize this won't work for many as they live too far out. We live about 25 miles outside of a major town.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 11:42:06 AM by oktheniknow »

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2012, 10:50:55 AM »
We have the security film on all of our exterior windows. Get the thickest you can afford.
That's a great idea, thanks! Also Victoria, you are a Godsend for many. Thanks for your posts!
One extra tip for bolstering doors that I saw recently is to replace the plate screws in your doors with 3 inch long screws instead of the small ones that come with door knobs/locks.  Takes more effort to screw in, but the length of the screws will be so that they'll go into your wall studs making it much harder for someone to kick in a door. Listen to your deadbolt and make sure it engages fully with a click. If not it may not be fully engaging and going out as far as it should (a piece of wood may be rubbing up against it inside the door frame). The other measures mentioned are very useful as well. 

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »
Great Post!

Being prepared is a great feeling. I feel sad for those rushing around trying to scavenge what is left at the chain stores. Even now so few of the "sheeple" are listening to what is going on in the world.

Situational Awareness should be an advertising campaign!

Great idea about hitting the smaller local stores and the shower camp bag: well that is a better solution then the adaptation I had the man make from one of those prepper books I read (I think it was Lights Out) great idea with the painting the 50 gallon water barrels black and putting some kind of shower attachment to it.

;D

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #176 on: July 11, 2012, 02:32:16 PM »
This is July 11, 2012, and I'll be making another post very soon with new items that are available now.

I've gone throught the eye surgeries and see well now.  Best to all of you.
Victoria

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #177 on: July 11, 2012, 09:01:34 PM »
Hey Victoria so glad that your surgeries went well.  I have been wondering how you were doing.  So glad to have you back!  Hope Prissy is doing well to. 

:clap: 

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #178 on: July 11, 2012, 10:06:50 PM »
So glad your eyes are better.  Glad to have you back on board.  So many newbies for you to train and help.  ;D

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #179 on: July 12, 2012, 12:19:54 AM »
I've gone throught the eye surgeries and see well now.  Best to all of you.
Victoria
Thats good to hear