Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 261092 times)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2013, 01:19:18 PM »
PREVIEW: STOPPING ARTERIAL BLOOD FLOW

I know, I said Gardening was next but you can’t garden if you have bled to death.  This is more important than gardening to me right this minute because I just received two sterile “H Bandages".  I had never seen one until now as these came about not many years ago and I didn’t know this bandage had been developed.  I’m working on this article right now so will have it on here by early evening or sooner.  To stop arterial blood flow, one can’t just slap this bandage on, it’s not as easy as that - I'll explain why.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2013, 05:27:32 PM »
STOPPING/LIMITING ACCIDENTAL ARTERIAL BLOOD LOSS

One medical problem I knew I couldn’t fix as an EMT in an emergency situation was a cut artery.  Every time a heart beats, it pushes blood into an artery.  If that artery is cut, blood gushes out with every heart beat and you have only about 10 pints of blood to gush out.  I have worried about this possibility since I began prepping – how could I save someone if an artery was cut?  I couldn’t.  Now, maybe I can and you can.

I ordered two H bandages from Amazon and I’ll put the link at the bottom of this discussion.  Let’s define some items one uses for a wound so you will understand what I mean by certain terms (it will also help you communicate with medical personnel about a wound if that becomes necessary): 

“Sponge”:  a really thin piece of gauze you can almost see through, the most common size about 4x4 inches, is called a “sponge” or a “gauze pad” (not called a bandage at all).  A sponge is not used to stop arterial blood loss because it is too thin.  A solid piece of thick sterile gauze is needed along with the H Bandage.

“Gauze”: a term for any size soft, loosely woven material that is put on a wound to soak up blood and keep a “dressing” on the wound– it is not called a bandage. 

“Dressing”:  anything you put on the wound such as an antibiotic gel or cream; it is not called a bandage. 

“Bandage”:  the last item put on a wound to hold the dressing and sponge or other gauze together and protect the wound. 

At some point, there was a move to shrink emergency supplies as small as possible – hence, suck the air out and seal.  The H Bandages I received are sterile, shrunk and sealed.  The shrinking put some creases in the written directions on the back – swell, took some time to make sure I was reading it properly.   I read and reread – how to stop or slow down blood from an artery.  You can’t do it with “just” this H bandage.  You must have some “thick” sterile “gauze”.  I put a link to thick, shrunk, sterile gauze at the bottom of this article.

To stop arterial bleeding, first I would quickly dump some Celox in the wound (which is not in the directions, make your own decision about that), then, according to directions, pack it with thick gauze, making sure the gauze is in direct contact with the cut on the artery, essentially plugging it.  The gauze needs to be packed in up to the skin so it comes in direct contact with the bandage so the pressure will reach to the cut itself and help block blood from being pumped out.  Then, as quickly as possible, apply the H Bandage.  It will make sense when you read the directions over and over and picture it in your mind as you read how to wrap it.

Now, the H bandage is on and you need to get the person to medical personnel who can remove the bandage and sew the artery back together.  The instructions tell you not to loosen or take off the bandage until you have medical personnel to deal with the problem.  I would surely go to an emergency room or any medical station available as quickly as possible. 

As a last ditch effort, if medical personnel is totally unavailable, I will have suture material and suture needles and hemostats.  I would never try that unless the situation was hopeless to get the person to medical care as in a total breakdown of civilization.  The appendage below the cut artery is no longer getting blood and that tissue will die without blood.  I hope we never lose the capability of medical services.  I would also say, during an emergency, don’t take chances that might result in a cut artery.  I have said before – don’t climb.  Climbing leaves one open to falling and causing a brain injury and tearing flesh apart and inside that flesh are arteries moving your blood around.  It is not uncommon for a broken thigh bone (femur) to tear the femoral artery open.  The moral of this story is protect your arteries and your brain.

Here is information about the H Bandage from H and H:
“One-Handed Hemostat for Arterial Bleeding. H and H is pleased to introduce the new Universal Severe Trauma Dressing, the H Bandage, a full upgrade to their present patented combat dressing Cinch Tight. The H Bandage was developed to offer the user an emergency dressing that would not only serve as an emergency dressing but also as a hemostat for arterial bleeding and hemorrhaging in limbs, deployed one-handed for use under any condition. Designed with a large H-hook that easily facilitates use as a compression bandage and a tourniquet Clinical tests for arterial bleeding done by the U.S. Navy at USUHS (Bethesda, MD) with H Bandage has indicated that pressure, along with compressed gauze, would dramatically reduce arterial bleeding in limbs. To develop the H Bandage, they increased the strength of the elastic wrap by 40%, making it the strongest available. H and H also replaced the steel hook with a plastic molded H hook. The ABD pad was maintained at 8”x10”, the largest pad of any compression dressing. When applied, the H Bandage, combined with H and H Compressed Gauze, places heavy pressure over and into the wounded area. Initial clinical test results have proven that the H Bandage will act as a hemostat for arterial bleeding in limbs, a critical component in the dressing’s functionality. The result is that H and H is able to offer the corpsman, medic, first responder, and the individual an all-in-one emergency and combat bandage for all traumas. The H Bandage is vacuum packaged and single-wrapped for easy storage and deployment. It weighs 0.3 lbs. and is 1.5”x3”x6” in size.”

The sterile H bandage on Amazon ($7.99):

http://www.amazon.com/H-Associates-Bandage/dp/B003UNTZ7S/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_1

Here is H compressed sterile gauze ($1.49):

http://www.amazon.com/PriMed-Gauze-Pack/dp/B003WRXQI6/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1362695418&sr=1-1&keywords=compressed+gauze

There is one more specialized bandage I need to briefly discuss, just a fairly short paragraph, then, I promise, it’s on to my “attempt” to grow plants.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #362 on: March 09, 2013, 08:38:43 AM »
TRAUMA AND YOUR BODY

When you are taking care of a spouse who is dying or going through major trauma of some other kind, you tend to forget about yourself as long as you are walking and functioning to do what must be done.  I did that.  Most of that time was in the hottest summer on record here with temperatures of 105, 106, 107.  Between the trauma of his illness and the heat, I didn’t eat regularly or very much when I could eat.

Last year in January, I went to the doctor to get my medicines renewed as when a prescription ran out on a few that were not vital to keeping me alive right then, I didn’t deal with it.  That doctor wanted a fasting blood test to see what my numbers were in cholesterol, triglycerides, and everything else they check.  When I went back for the results of that testing, the doctor had a fit. 

My sugar was so high, I had definite diabetes (had never been diagnosed with diabetes).  My cholesterol and triglycerides were terribly high, uric acid was terribly high, I had practically no vitamin D in my body.  My kidneys were throwing off a number that indicated they were going into kidney failure.

The diuretic I was taking (along with a blood pressure pill), was stopped as that diuretic over time can send your kidneys into failure.  Well, swell, I didn’t know that would happen with that pill.  I’m still on the blood pressure pill but no diuretic.

Then that clinic went bankrupt and my doctor left.  It’s now July of last year and I have a new doctor.  Naturally, he wanted a blood test.  These blood test numbers weren’t good, either, except the sugar number was down some but still definitely diabetic.  Numbers on everything else were slightly better but still very high.  He started me on Glipizide for the sugar problem.  I was eating now and trying to eat the right foods and much less sugar.

So, this past Tuesday, I had another blood test and saw the doctor yesterday, ready for the bad news from the blood test.  I DID NOT HAVE ONE BAD NUMBER – ALL NUMBERS WERE EXCELLENT.  My sugar number was better than good.  My cholesterol was in the normal range.  Triglycerides were only slightly elevated and meant nothing.  Good cholesterol was excellent.  Kidney number was good.   My blood pressure was 120/72, excellent.  I have never had such good numbers, ever.

The doctor was laughing at those good numbers.  He said I did it myself to have those good numbers.  I didn’t reply to him about doing it myself.  After I left, still in shock over those good numbers, I tried to figure out why this happened.  I’m in great shape now and was in terrible trouble before.  You see, I’m not eating any differently than I was when tested last July.  The January before then, the awful numbers did make me eat regularly and eat more veggies and certainly less sugar. I seldom eat red meat, it’s chicken or fish.  Perhaps it took a number of months more of eating right and taking those meds, to change the numbers.  I tried not to miss a single pill, taking them religiously.  I also think it took time for my body to get over the trauma it went through and start functioning normally.

The lesson here, is, if you have bad numbers, don’t think they can’t be changed – I’m living proof  those numbers are not set in concrete.  All I can contribute this to is eating regularly so you don’t starve your body of the nutrients it needs to function normally, eat more veggies whether they are fresh or frozen, cut back on red meat, and limit sugar intake.  If you go through major trauma lasting for months, try to keep eating three times a day so your body is not deprived of what it needs to function.  I didn’t do that.  I had no appetite so I didn’t eat except sporadically.  I lost ten pounds during that time.  I think my body crashed due to trauma and starving it at the same time. 

Don’t give up hope that you can change how your body functions – you certainly can.

Next is a specialized bandage to correct a sucking chest wound.  Lungs cannot function if there is a hole in the chest cavity. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #363 on: March 09, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »

BANDAGE FOR SUCKING CHEST WOUND

A person’s chest is sealed so lungs can operate effectively.  If, for any reason, the chest seal is compromised (any object penetrates the chest), one or both lungs will collapse and the person dies.  A Bolin Chest Seal can be pressed against the chest to seal the opening in the chest. 

“Sucking chest wounds require an emergency first aid solution that is fast, direct, and effective: the H&H Bolin Chest Seal (BCS) is specifically engineered to meet these critical needs.”

“The BCS is a sterile occlusive chest wound dressing for treating open pneumothorax and preventing tension pneumothorax that result from gunshots, stab wounds, or other penetrating chest trauma. The patented (US Patent No. 7,834,231) failure-proof triple-valve design of the BCS allows air and blood to escape while preventing the re-entry of either, thereby eliminating any unwanted gas or liquid exchange at the trauma site.”

“The large (6” diameter), rugged polyurethane disc structure of the BCS can cover practically any size chest trauma site. The temper of the disc prevents any disc wrinkling from occurring during application. In addition, the wound side of the disc is covered with a thick layer of jell-based adhesive, strong enough to not only seal over hair and blood but also flexible enough to be removed and reapplied to the trauma site if required.”

Bolin Chest Seal on Amazon ($18.05 free shipping):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VSRO1Q/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B007AM4K7K&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1EZ5K5QZ7HM24BXGBR80

The Bolin Chest Seal is an important bandage to have.  It’s designed to let blood/fluid out but not let air in so the lungs keep functioning.  This bandage is for the front of the chest.  If that front chest hole is the only hole in the chest, it is sufficient for the job.  But, if that is a bullet entering the chest, there may also be an exit wound in the back of the patient.  That hole needs to be sealed.  Use the Boling Chest Seal on the front of the chest, and here is a set of two bandages to seal holes (total seal not allowing for exit of blood/fluid).  You could use these for both the front chest and back, but blood and fluid could not leave the chest if you use one of these for the front of chest:

HALO Chest Seal – set of two - $20.18 (free shipping)
“Foam backing will enable the dressing to conform and hold to the patient's body.
The Halo chest seal is an ultra-sticky hydo-gel occlusive dressing for treatment of penetrating chest trauma. Each pack includes two seals allowing for the treatment of entrance and exit wounds.”

http://www.amazon.com/Progressive-Medical-HALO-Chest-Seal/dp/B003VSORKC/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_2

Next is my pathetic attempt to grow plants.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #364 on: March 09, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
so glad to hear your health is better, Victoria! good news.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #365 on: March 09, 2013, 11:43:26 AM »
EMERGENCY AND BODY (SAME AS TRAUMA AND BODY)

I should have made this point when speaking of Trauma and Body.  An emergency is a trauma based on the severity of the emergency.  If it is a long lasting emergency, then the tendency is to stop eating regularly as one thinks the emergency takes precedent over one’s body’s needs.

In order for your body to serve you like it should in an emergency, don’t shortchange it and cause your organs to begin to malfunction.  You read I did that.  Don’t make the mistake I did.  I couldn’t see it happening but it was.  Realize how important your body’s needs are if you are to remain healthy through an extended emergency.

ATTORNEY GENERAL HOLDER’S LETTER TO PAUL

The day after Paul’s filibuster before the Senate, he received a letter from Attorney General Holder.  The letter reads:

“The Honorable Rand Paul United States Senate Washington, DC 20510
Dear Senator Paul:

It has come to my attention that you have now asked an additional question: ‘Does the President have the authority to use a weaponized drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on American soil?’ The answer to that question is no.”

Since Paul mentioned people who store food as a group Homeland Security lists as possible domestic terrorists, perhaps people who store feel a bit better that they won’t be hit with a missile while having coffee with a friend.  Holder’s opinion is not law – it is just an opinion.  Paul has a bill written to introduce in the Senate that Americans cannot be killed in this country without due process unless they are an immediate threat to life.  The problem with this bill, is, Senate leader Reid would have to let it come to the floor for a vote.  I will be surprised if that happens. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #366 on: March 09, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
LvsChant,

I'm still amazed those blood numbers changed.  I was ready for bad news.  The doctor laughed while reading and explaining the numbers.  He thought I had done a wonderful job of bringing those numbers down.  I wasn't laughing because I couldn't believe it.  I have a copy of that report and think I should frame it.   

Something else began to happen a few months after the trauma was over.  I lost head hair.  My hair had been very thick and now it was coming out, a lot was coming out.  I read about that and found a few months after a trauma, this can happen.  I went to a hair dresser a few weeks ago, and she examined my scalp and said she could see new hair growing in everywhere.  That was very good news.  So, our hair reacts to trauma, too. 

There was a change in that doctor's office and I wondered if this is happening with all doctors.  At the end of the visit, he walked out and came back with a "PATIENT PLAN".  It was a summary of why I was there and every body subject we covered and it was two pages long.  The reason for the visit was listed at the top.  I didn't see my social security number on there. At the bottom was every medication I'm taking and how much I'm taking.

The body of the "Patient Plan" listed everything that was wrong with me and how it is now since I had this visit.  Plus, there was a section on eye condition.  He had asked me when I had my last eye exam (I wasn't going to him when I had double cataract surgery last year).  Told him about the cataract surgery and that section now says "Current on eye exams".  I didn't go there for my eyes but he asked the question anyway.  Why?  Because he had to fill out this form.  My vital signs are on on the form and my weight is on the form and allergies are on the form.

If that form went to the federal government, would there be something on there that would prompt a "don't let her buy a gun or ammo."?  Could they use one or more of the meds to prompt a "don't let her buy a gun or ammo."?

Readers:  The next time you visit your doctor, see if any of their procedures regarding records are changed or have you already noticed this?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 12:33:57 PM by Victoria »

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #367 on: March 14, 2013, 09:11:13 AM »
I'll have an article on about various subjects before the day is over.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #368 on: March 14, 2013, 09:52:58 PM »
THIS AND THAT INCLUDING GARDENING

If I am not writing, I am thinking.   At some point, the thinking is done and I write an article without stopping.  That was my process when I psychologically tested a patient.  The testing took a number of hours, sometimes as much as four hours.  I couldn’t write a report then.  My brain was working on the test results while I went about my daily business.  Within two days, I could sit and write the report from beginning to end.  This article is a combination of subjects that have worked themselves out in the past several days.

FOOD:
How much proper food do you need in an emergency situation?  If your power is off, you will move and do more work that you did before power went out.  You know that is true if you have gone through that problem.  When a hurricane is going to come through here, my activity level gets very high to get emergency items ready to use.  Then, when the power is gone, nothing happens unless I make it happen.  I am up and down and moving and working and it never stops long until power comes back.  You need more calories when there is no power.  Eat more to keep your energy level up so you won’t starve your body.  It takes “x” amount of gasoline to drive a car five miles – it takes double that amount to drive ten miles.  Your body is the same.  Once calories are burned just like gasoline, they are gone and you need more calories to keep moving.

Now, let’s make a zillion dollars by my writing a book on the marvelous and grand diet I developed to change very bad blood numbers to excellent numbers - from a worried doctor to a laughing doctor.  Plus, I’m really old and I got good numbers even though I am old.  I’ve given some thought to how I did that.  The numbers were terrible in January.  In July, they were still bad.  Sometime between July and February, the numbers changed.  That is one year and two months but they had to be good sometime within July and February when the last blood test was taken.  People write books about “x” diet and make a lot of money.  The problem with my writing such a book, is, it would only be several paragraphs long.  Rats, there goes my money.

During that year and two months,  I didn’t eat more than two pounds of red meat, if that much.  I didn’t do it on purpose – I just didn’t want to buy a chunk of red meat and fix it for just me.  Maybe three times during those many months, I felt “deprived”, so when down the street to McDonalds and got two kiddie size cheeseburgers and a small fries and brought it home and that was it.  Stopping red meat was the largest change in my diet and I have to believe it was the most significant change in bringing about those good numbers.

For the rest, I ate veggies both frozen and fresh and ate most of them raw with whatever dressing I wanted.  Stopped white bread and ate multi-grain or whole wheat.  Ate chicken in deli casseroles or bought the whole grilled chicken and ate it for several days.  Only ate regular fish in frozen dinners or ate tuna.  Drank skim milk.  Ate whole grain cereal like Great Grains or other grain without bunches of sugar in it.  Ate fresh mixed fruit already cut up and ready to eat.  My breakfast was and still is, one frozen Owens Breakfast Taco with sausage, egg, and cheese.  One minute in the micro and it was ready.  Bought margarine and butter with olive oil in them.  A sweet snack is non-sugar cookies found with the other cookies in the grocery.  They are not terrible.  A cut up apple is another snack.  If I get hungry between regular meals, I get out the already washed veggies and eat some with a small amount of dressing.  I still eat whenever I want to eat something.   I eat supposedly healthy type frozen dinners with chicken or fish and veggies in them.  I get Tai Pei frozen Chinese food in Chinese takeout looking  boxes with chicken and veggies in them.  Six minutes in micro and it‘s ready.  The sauces in those are very tasty.  There are also beef and shrimp ones.  Don’t bother me with looking at the salt or whatever in them as I don’t eat them constantly.   

In the morning, I drink about four cups of coffee.  I drink one Diet Coke a day and sometimes two or I drink iced tea without sugar.  I drink hot white tea once or twice a day.   White tea has more antioxidants than any other tea.  If I want it sweeter, I use a bit of honey but white tea is a soft tasting tea and really doesn’t need anything in it.  I’m a bit of a purist where tea is concerned and get white tea from the internet because grocery store tea is inferior.  My son also brings me tea from England when he comes.

You can see my method because I’m only one person.  Two people could use those foods that way, but a family with children at home could not.  Really, for two people, I’d get a bag of frozen stir fry veggies with the sauce in there and add frozen Fajita chicken strips.  Two people requires a bit of actual cooking and I wouldn’t use short cut frozen dinners for two people.  I only get those dinners because it’s just me.  Frozen bags of veggies in numerous combinations however, are just as good for you as fresh veggies.  Fresh veggies travel distances to get to you and nutrients are draining from those the longer it takes to get to your store.  Frozen veggies are flash frozen shortly after being harvested.  I like those frozen bags of veggies with the sauce and you stick them in the micro and they steam and are done.  I’d use those for two people.

You can put together a method for the number of people in your household and leave off the red meat and stay with the other suggestions, thereby cutting out the foods that are dragging down your blood with excess fat and sugar.   Sure, you can do that.

If you go into an emergency situation with compromised body organic systems, it’s not going to get better if you haven’t planned for it.  If you are as healthy as you can be to start, you have a greater chance to survive.   If you have a family, you need your health to get them through it.

(Note:  Please send $10 for the “book” of the seven paragraphs above.  :)  )

A HAPPENING TODAY IN THE SENATE AND IN MY HOUSE:
The Senate Subcommittee dealing with the Feingold Assault Weapons Ban bill, passed the bill out of that committee and sent it to the Senate where it awaits a vote on the floor.  In that bill is a ban of multi-cartridge (over ten I think it is) magazines for rifles and handguns.   

On this same day, today, the UPS man delivered to me a package from the Ruger company and in that package was a Ruger made 25 cartridge magazine for my rifle.  I thought of the irony of getting that magazine at the same time this disastrous ban bill outlawing this magazine was on its way to the Senate floor.

I ordered this magazine on January 13, 2013, and it is just now getting here due to the heavy demand for these magazines.  Watch and see what the Senate does with this disastrous bill.  You will hear the liberals in that body make a plea to limit your freedom to a weapon of your choice and limit your freedom to determine how many cartridges you want your weapon to fire.

GARDENING:
We have had cold nights here but not like you in the north where you still have freezing temperatures.  We are getting in the high thirties at this time.  Tomorrow, I will plant four  regular tomato plants in pots and two cherry tomato plants in pots.  I have a strip that contains lettuce seeds and have a planter on the ground in which to dig a light trench and settle that strip in there and cover with ¼ inch of potting soil. 

In the next couple of days, I’ll plant two sweet pepper plants and sweet basil in just the potting soil bags.  Plants need a growing medium in which to grow – they do not know what kind of receptacle you put them in.  Are  you going to tell your plants they are in a clay pot or in the ground or – in a bag?  I’ll punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage, split the top and plant the plants.  I’m sure they will love their colorful bags.

Let’s hope I at least get some tomatoes and lettuce and peppers and basil.  I also have tiny tobacco plants I grew from seed.  Have you ever seen tobacco seed?  You can’t see them, they look like orange dust.  I can now see tiny plants with two leaves.  If they stay alive in their tiny pots, long enough to transplant, tobacco will grow against the back wall where climbing roses used to be.  Why tobacco?  Because it’s a pretty plant and it’s a barter item if TSHTF. 

The extreme temperatures in 2011, cooked those rose vines and killed the roses against that wall.  Trees all around this area died in that year.  That was the worst year in Texas since I have been alive (and that is a very long time).  In the spring of 2011, no rain fell and almost no rain fell the entire summer and the temperatures were 104 to 107.  This year, we have had rain this spring to start our plants and trees growing. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #369 on: March 15, 2013, 05:19:48 PM »
SUTURES/NEEDLES, HEMOSTATS, BETADINE, MARGARITA GLASSES

I am about to order some items from Amazon so before I neglect to write about them, I’ll just do it now.

I’ll be using Steri-Strips to hold cut skin together if it’s a minor cut.  If it is more than that, I’ll use a Stapler along with a Staple Remover, and think I’ve talked about those sterile items being on Amazon.  I had not bought sutures and needles because that was the last choice to use and surely did not want to do that to a person.  Now that these H&H bandages are available to stop or limit artery bleeding, I’ll get sutures/needles in a last ditch effort to save someone.  I would also need hemostats to put on the artery before attempting to suture the artery back together.  That is a totally risky thing to do and would never attempt it if there was any way to avoid doing that – meaning get to a medical center able to do that. 

Messing around with cut skin caused by anything means killing bacteria on that skin and in the cut area before closing the skin using any method.  That means an antiseptic is required.  Betadine is available in gallons in a hospital setting because that is the major antiseptic used to sterilize a wound or a cut made on purpose by medical personnel.  If you have had surgery, you may remember the skin around that area being stained slightly reddish/brown from Betadine.

I just finished searching Amazon for the best price for these items and will list them.  The Margarita glasses are a different matter and I’ll post why at the end of this.  I do have a life beyond prepping, you know.

Betadine Swab Aid Antiseptic Pads:
10% Povidone, 100/bx – $14.99, Free shipping if over $25.
I looked at bottles of Betadine, then found these pads.  These are much better to have.  Each pad is in a sterile package, so there is no waste.  If you are on a camping trip, a bottle is too much trouble, but individual pads are great – just pitch some in your backpack or whatever.  Scrub the area one minute with a pad.  Then you are ready to take whatever next step is required to close the wound, from a band aid to sutures.  You have 100 pads.  Spread them around where you might need them – house, car, backpacks, anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Betadine-Swab-Antiseptic-Pads-Povidone/dp/B002C30RLA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1D70WWXB7EG23&coliid=I2ZO39OBWLFOEA

Braunamid Synthetic Suture / Needle Combinations - 40 cm - 3/0 Fine:
$3.79, shipping $6.00
There is no suture/needle combination with free shipping.  This is only one suture/needle.  I ordered three and the $6.00 shipping covers three so it appears one can order several without the shipping charge going up.  This is the “fine” set so less pain for the patient using fine.  It is from a pet store so this would be used mainly by Vets and others who have animals.  It’s the same material used on humans and is sterile just like those for humans.  Remember fish antibiotics, same ones used for humans?  I read somewhere that antibiotics used for dogs/cats used to be used by humans so the FDA made animal antibiotics available only by prescription (sometimes government sucks).  We can still buy these sutures/needles without government interference.

http://www.amazon.com/Braunamid-Synthetic-Suture-Needle-Combinations/dp/B0002ZIJ5G/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1D70WWXB7EG23&coliid=I1SFEQB5WVX100

Hemostats:
Two hemostats would be necessary to clamp both sides of an artery to stop moving blood while the two ends were sewn together (if that could even be accomplished except in a hospital).  Sterile hemostats from a medical supply cost hundreds of dollars each.  I have searched for a couple of hours to find a solution to this.  The only choice I can find are pet hemostats that would work.  They would have to be sterilized before using them.  There are really cheap hemostats that are worthless on Amazon.  People buy these to use in hobby work and it looks as though all these very cheap ones are from Pakistan – those very cheap ones tend not to be for pets.  I found one for pets and it seems to be well enough made to work.  They are more expensive than the really cheap ones.  Each one is $11.42 with free shipping over $25.  I will buy two and with the other items I’m buying the free shipping will apply.  If you are sure you will never suture blood vessels, don’t bother getting these -  “PetEdge Stainless Steel Straight Mosquito Pet Hemostat, 5-Inch”.

http://www.amazon.com/PetEdge-Stainless-Straight-Mosquito-Hemostat/dp/B004C32AIQ/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

The cheap hemostats, something like $3.00+, would be great to use for clamps on non-living items to free your hands.  That is why people are buying these for their hobby work.

Margarita Glasses:
I just threw this in here to have a bit of humor.  The engineer husband of my sister-in-law, has a very bad habit.  He pours my expensive Di Saronno Amaretto generously into his coffee and at night drinks some more of it, and by the time he leaves, I may have none left.  I started thinking maybe I could come up with another adult beverage that would substitute if he wanted a drink. 

I am not a master of alcoholic drinks.  I know he, the wife, and I, like Margaritas but I had nothing to make them and didn’t know exactly what I needed to do that.  I go to Specs store and tell the man I need to know what to get to make Margaritas.  He sent me to the drink expert man in the store.  I explained my problem and he frowned to think my Amaretto was drowning in coffee cups where the delicious flavor was totally diluted.

I now have Cuesta Mesa Gold Tequila, a good quality but not expensive, Baja Bob’s  Sugar Free Margarita Mix (he says one can’t tell the difference),  and Jose Cuervo Margarita Salt which is in a round plastic container with a place on top to press out Lime juice from a Lime, put the rim of the glass in that, then dip it in the salt.  He said use four ounces of the mix and one ounce of Tequila.

So, I have it all ready to pry him from my Amaretto.  Then, I thought, I have no Margarita glasses – I’m just not into alcohol that much to have items like that – stored beans?  Sure, I have beans forever, but not alcohol beverages and proper glasses.  So, I go onto Amazon looking for Margarita glasses.  I FOUND THEM!   I have ordered this set of four.  If I saw one of these glasses, I would just have to drink what was in one – take a look and have a laugh on me about this alcohol nonsense:

http://www.amazon.com/Libbey-Colors-Margarita-Glass-4-Piece/dp/B002KN2ZFI/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1D70WWXB7EG23&coliid=IMQVK2E2JAS9K

nelson96

« Reply #370 on: March 15, 2013, 05:29:47 PM »
Betadine Swab Aid Antiseptic Pads:
10% Povidone, 100/bx – $14.99, Free shipping if over $25.
I looked at bottles of Betadine, then found these pads.  These are much better to have.  Each pad is in a sterile package, so there is no waste.  If you are on a camping trip, a bottle is too much trouble, but individual pads are great – just pitch some in your backpack or whatever.  Scrub the area one minute with a pad.  Then you are ready to take whatever next step is required to close the wound, from a band aid to sutures.  You have 100 pads.  Spread them around where you might need them – house, car, backpacks, anywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Betadine-Swab-Antiseptic-Pads-Povidone/dp/B002C30RLA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1D70WWXB7EG23&coliid=I2ZO39OBWLFOEA

Only problem with the pads is they do not have a very good shelf life.  No matter how they are packaged, they still seem to dry out.  If you plan to store them for a period of time make sure you check them periodically before a time comes that you need them and can't use them.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #371 on: March 15, 2013, 05:40:28 PM »
Nelson,

There should be an expiration date on the box so it's a good idea to check a pad as that date approaches.  Thanks for posting.

nelson96

« Reply #372 on: March 15, 2013, 05:52:52 PM »
Nelson,

There should be an expiration date on the box so it's a good idea to check a pad as that date approaches.  Thanks for posting.

I mentioned this becuase I've had these dry up before expiration.  The expiration date is the date in which the solution is okay to use only.  I still prefer these over carrying a bottle of solution.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #373 on: March 18, 2013, 03:45:53 PM »
Before today is over, or by tomorrow by noon, I will post SOLAR FLARE VS. EMP ATTACK.  The two are not the same and the damages are not the same.  I'm reporting scientists' calculations/reasoning about these so we can discard misinformation that is abundant.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #374 on: March 18, 2013, 10:08:24 PM »
Before today is over, or by tomorrow by noon, I will post SOLAR FLARE VS. EMP ATTACK.  The two are not the same and the damages are not the same.  I'm reporting scientists' calculations/reasoning about these so we can discard misinformation that is abundant.

looking forward to it.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #375 on: March 19, 2013, 10:25:57 AM »
My power just flashed on and off.  Sometimes that means it's going off.  I'm working on the EMP article, but if it doesn't get on here in the next couple of hours, that means my power is gone.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #376 on: March 19, 2013, 12:02:58 PM »
SOLAR FLARE VS. NEMP ATTACK  (Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse)

I received an email day before yesterday about the possibility of a solar flare wiping out civilization during these next several years when occurrences of greater mass ejection will occur.  We are in that greater mass ejection period right now.  The email was a “freak out”, “the sky is falling”, kind of presentation, and, as usual, an NEMP (Nuclear Electromagnetic Pulse) attack was thrown in, too, as causing the same destruction.  But, the information was incorrect about both occurrences, anyway.

Some time ago (think it was the time during eye surgeries when I wasn’t writing articles), I researched solar flares and NEMP attacks to determine the difference between the two if there was one – there are differences.

I didn’t save these scientists’ discussions of the differences, but I remember them since they weren’t difficult to remember, they made sense, and made a definite impression on me due to the misinformation  people have about these.  The report was by scientists in electromagnetic energy, not Doomsday Preppers.   Below, when considering a NEMP, is the link to the “Report of the Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack”.  Part of that report, beginning on page 114, are the results of testing cars and trucks by bombarding them with electromagnetic pulses – those experiments apply to both solar flares and NEMP attack as people think a solar flare will destroy a car/truck.

Most people, I think, lump these two occurrences together because it seems no one considers the two separate.  When one thinks about it, they probably would be different in some way because one is nature and one is manmade.

Let’s consider the differences, staring with nature:

SOLAR FLARE:
The sun throws off a mass of “really hot stuff” to put it mildly.  Here is the important part: it goes in a STRAIGHT LINE when it is thrown away from the sun.  Anything in that straight line is going to be hit.  Astronomers can calculate where that straight line is going, so they know if it’s going to hit earth or come close to earth, or never coming even close.  These ejections happen from any part of the sun – they also vary in power and there is a scale to rate them.  The possibility is there that a strong straight line ejection could hit earth and we are in a time of stronger ones. 

If one did hit earth, it’s electromagnetic properties send it straight into our electric grid.  Wow, it missed your car, yes it did.  It missed anything not plugged into the electric grid.  Picture an arrow going into the electric grid – it doesn’t touch anything except that grid.  It would fry your TV plugged into the wall.  If you had a TV not plugged into the wall, it would be fine.  If you have any appliance plugged into the wall that you aren’t using, for precaution right now, unplug it.  It doesn’t need to be plugged in, you were just too lazy to unplug it the last time you used it, so unplug it now since you have a reason.  Nothing unplugged needs to be in a Faraday Cage as it won’t be harmed.  Cars/trucks/any method of conveyance not plugged into power will be okay.  If you are so unlucky to have a Prius car plugged into power to recharge it’s battery at the time the flare hits power lines, it will be fried. 

If you start at page 114 of the Commission report on a NEMP attack, you will find that test of cars/trucks being hit with electromagnetic charges, and very little happened and what did happen to a few was a “nuisance” factor rather than destruction of the vehicle.  A few cars stopped running but ran again immediately when started again.  So, even if a solar created electromagnetic pulse did hit a car/truck, they are still okay.  Further on in that report, police cars and emergency vehicles (ambulances/fire trucks) were tested and the only problem was a mobile computer used to input data had to be rebooted and it was fine. The majority of people think cars and trucks will be destroyed and that is not the case.  Why haven’t more people read this report?  It is 181 pages long with an Appendix after that.  Can people not concentrate long enough to read 181 pages so they ignore the whole thing? 

The underground transit in New York City and other cities that are “plugged” in to power, will be fried. 

Huge power grid transformers will be destroyed and they are only made overseas and cost a fortune so companies don’t keep many on hand – I read a figure of there are about 300 of those in this main power grid.  It will take years, I read a figure of two years,  to get enough of those made and here, plus other repairs to get power back on.  It will be bad and preppers will do better than any other group to get through that period.  People are going to die for many reasons, so many reasons there isn’t room to list them, but you all know what those reasons are – hospitals can’t function due to no power, no medicines, water, food, warmth, cooling, money, jobs, everything disrupted due to the grid down.

But, again, everything is not lost as those items not required to be plugged in, are still working – the destruction is limited to the grid.  When you hear someone say nothing is going to move except horses after a solar flare hits earth, you will know that is incorrect.  Something will have to be devised to distribute gasoline but government and the military will figure that out.  Hmm, a huge amount of the gasoline used in this country is refined in the area around southeast Houston, in Pasadena and Baytown, and Texas City just down Hwy. 45 south of Houston.  Those will be locations on the list of important places to get power working as fast as possible.

NEMP ATTACK:
A nuclear blast in the upper atmosphere sends SCATTERED electromagnetic impulses over a region – it doesn’t go in a straight line as the solar ejection did – it’s more like an umbrella effect,  pulses thrown out over a limited region.  The size of the region is determined by how strong the nuclear blast is and the height of the blast and where it is in the country.  The higher it is, the larger the region affected.   We know from the car/truck tests, that vehicles will still run even if they are running at the time of the blast.  Their prophesied failure is so engrained in preppers that I doubt many will accept those tests as valid.  You can read how they did the tests and decide for yourself – start at page 114.  Then, read the whole report and learn from it.  You should read the biographies in the Appendix of the ones on the commission to determine your faith in their expertise to produce this report.

The grid does go down in a NEMP – the grid is connected from coast to coast.  I don’t know if the parts of the grid not in the damage zone, would be spared destruction, but I doubt it as the grid is interconnected and there’s nothing to stop the pulse once it’s in the grid. There is one other grid in this country and it’s separate from that main grid, and that is the Texas grid.  I studied this years ago, pre-2000.  Our grid for us Texans, is separate, plus we sell power we don’t need to Mexico so there is a physical line connection to Mexico.  If Texas is outside the region limit of destruction, its grid should still work.  If it is inside the destruction region, it will be fried just as the other grid. 

This NEMP regional destruction is limited by distance from ground zero where it went off (guess I should say it is “sky” zero instead of “ground” zero) and how high it is.  According to scientists, a NEMP attack on the east coast will not destroy all the way to the west coast (and north/south would be included in that).  If an Asian country (such as North Korea) exploded such a weapon, the closest coast to them is the west coast so it would die out before it got to the east coast.  The worst area to explode one is over central USA.  One report used Kansas as the worst location to affect more of the country.  I didn’t read it would cover the entire US but I suppose it would depend on the strength/height of the nuclear blast to determine the limit of destruction from over Kansas.  Here is the link to the Commission report (a pdf file you can save on your computer if you want.)

http://empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

Faraday Cage:
I have read it will work and I have read it won’t work.  I recall this was covered by the scientists and they discounted the value of them for either situation.  In a solar flare situation, it likely wouldn’t be needed if the devices weren’t plugged in and the pulse is in the electric grid.  Lovers of Faraday Cages will likely dispute this reasoning because they have them or love them or make them for sale.  If you feel safer having your devices in a Faraday Cage right this minute, use it. 

Recall the car/truck test of magnetic pulses doing no damage, or just nuisance malfunction to cars/trucks even if they were running.  If they are not destroyed with all the electronic components they have, why would smaller devices with less electronic parts in them be affected?

If you have a Faraday Cage or want one, use it to be on the safe side to make yourself feel better.  You should have your devices in there now as we might not know when a NEMP attack would happen.  We should have notice before a solar flare gets here. 

I have a metal box that seals well, it’s about 18x18 and about 10 inches high, and have saved Styrofoam from a box that came in the mail, to line the metal box all around, and have that as a Faraday Cage.  My emergency radio with TV channels, and Sony short wave receiver will go in there.  I haven’t lined that metal box yet.  That is what you have to do to make one.  A good metal box (many use a metal trashcan with a tight fitting lid, line it with something not metal (some use aluminum foil) all the way around, including under the metal lid, so no metal is bare to your devices, and seal it.  The idea is, the pulse goes around the can, staying with the metal, and can’t get to your devices with no exposed metal around them.  Electrical engineers have varied opinions about Faraday Cages working. 

There is no doubt a solar flare hitting earth is different in result that a nuclear electromagnetic pulse attack. 

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #377 on: March 19, 2013, 01:02:29 PM »
An Important Note About The World And Solar Flares and NEMP Attack:

I neglected to write about the entire world.  NASA’s opinion about solar flares is that one could not be strong enough to do more than disrupt satellites/ likely affecting cell phones and GPS around the world, for a period of time.  They don’t think one would hold together long enough to hit earth.  Their opinion differs from scientists in the electromagnetic field.  Who to believe?  Perhaps history is the best clue:  we know power was knocked out in Canada and a part of the US from a flare a number of years ago and it took time to repair/replace the damage to that grid and one many years ago took out telegraph capability across the country – that was our most advanced technology then.  The thinking about that one, is, if one that strong hit today, our modern technology powered by electricity, would be destroyed and it would destroy grids around the world.  So, there are still opinions as to whether or not we are in danger from a solar flare.  We know now what one would do if it got here.

Our government is more concerned about a NEMP attack being the more likely threat.  I expect that is why a commission was formed to investigate the destruction from an attack rather than one studying solar flares.  They can identify enemy states right now that want our destruction, but a strong solar flare isn’t on the way.   

If such an NEMP attack happened here, remember it is regional, so the rest of the unaffected area would work and that means the rest of the world would keep working.  Our capability to repair damage would increase rapidly if the rest of the world was operational.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #378 on: March 27, 2013, 11:55:31 AM »
PLANTS  +  SQUIRRELS  +  BIRDS  =  PELLET  GUN  +  TARGETS

I don’t know how farmers manage to grow crops.  They contend with the weather and creatures and insects that eat their plants.

I live in town and one would think I wouldn’t have a problem with creatures that want to eat my few plants in containers.   Someone should tell the squirrels who live in oak trees just behind my garden fence to leave my plants alone.  Plus, tell the birds who also live in those trees to stay out of my garden. 

In past years when my husband grew tomato plants, strawberries, and other plants, we were subject to raids by these creatures eating our produce.  He put a contraption up with netting to try to stop them and that was kind of, sort of, successful, in that we saved some of the plants/produce  however, birds would get caught in the netting and I’d have to work with the netting to get the birds freed so they could fly off.

This year, I’ve already seen the squirrels roaming in the little garden and if a tomato appears, the squirrels and birds will be after it and any sweet pepper that shows up.

I talked with a guy who has been a professional chef and grows all kinds of plants and knows about every firearm ever made, I think.  I asked him if a BB gun would kill a squirrel and he said no, get a pellet gun to get rid of the squirrels and birds.  I know him and if he shot and killed a squirrel, he would cook it and eat it.   He’s done that many times before.   In his not distant past, he was a mountain man and lived off the land for a year. 

He told me a pellet gun would get rid of any small animal.  I thought about that in terms a prolonged emergency situation and determined a pellet gun was a good tool to have.  Pellet ammunition is very cheap and so are BBs.  Although the BBs won’t take down an animal, they can be used for target practice as well as the pellets can.  Using a pellet/BB gun for target practice is a good idea to sharpen one’s ability to hit a target.  Regular ammo now is extremely expensive if one can even find it and if you have some, you don’t want to use it up shooting at targets. 

I didn’t know jack about pellet/BB guns.   In my childhood, I shot a BB gun my older brother had.  One day, my brother shot me in the face with the BB gun.  He always swore it was an accident (yeah, right).  The BB was lodged in my nose rather than hitting me in the eye and that was a good thing.  My mother had to take me to the doctor to remove the BB.  There isn’t a scar from that procedure and I don’t remember exactly where that was on my nose as I couldn’t have been more than six years old at the time.

For invading small animals, I decided to get a pellet gun, the handgun not a rifle, so had to find out about pellet guns.  I live in town and needed a quieter gun that wouldn’t attract attention as I didn’t want the police showing up to arrest a mad terrorist woman shooting a gun in the city limits.

I was going to order it from Walmart as they are cheaper there than I think other places are.  I clicked the place on the Walmart website to see what my store had and, as usual, they didn’t have any.  That store is basically useless to me.  They also don’t sell regular rifles or handguns.

Blow Back:
Maybe you don’t know what “blow back” is – I didn’t.   Companies make some of these guns as realistic as they can to the real thing, so they use a process called “blow back” that makes the gun have a louder report and a kick back.  I didn’t want a louder report that sounds  like a real gun shooting .  Plus, having blow back capability means the gun costs more.

These handguns use a CO2 cartridge to propel the bullet.  Some fire BBs only – if the description says it has a smooth barrel, it won’t shoot pellets – it must have a riffled barrel for pellets.

Basically, a BB only handgun starts at about fifteen dollars and up, with the good quality ones in the thirties.  A good quality pellet/BB handgun starts in the fifties.

I got the Walther PPQ Pellet/BB handgun at a price of $67.76.   It does not have blow back, so it is a quieter report gun.

It takes .177 pellets.   A container of Crosman 500 count  .177 hollow point pellets is $7.97.   You can see how cheap the pellets are and if one gets a collecting target to catch the pellets, one can use the same pellets over and over for practice.  There are other type pellets such as Crosman 250 count  .177 Destroyer pellets for $2.97.  You could read the various descriptions to see which types of pellets you want.  To take down small animals, I’d stick with hollow points.

THESE HANDGUNS ARE NOT TOYS.  DO NOT LET CHILDREN PLAY WITH THEM.   The pellets kill small animals – these are guns.

Targets:
If you get a pellet target metal box, DON’T USE BBs FOR THIS TARGET.  The BBs will bounce back and hit whatever is in their path.   For BBs, the best targets are the ones that catch the BB, then the BB slides down the target to the bottom for collection.  My Walmart did not have this type BB target (see, I told you they have very little at my store), so I’ll have to order one for BBs on line and I’m getting the zombie one.  I have seen this one on Amazon.

I got the “Pellet Trap” air gun pistol/rifle metal target (the store had this one).  This metal box is rated for .177 pellets which is what my gun uses. 

Time to mention velocity.  Velocity (or speed) of a bullet is measured in feet per second, fps.   For air guns, the lower end guns have an average of about 250 fps.  Higher end guns (which is what I have) range from 300-500 fps.   The fps of my gun is a little less than 400.   What does velocity have to do with targets?  If you use a 22 lr rifle or any regular gun and fire at this metal target, the high velocity of that bullet is going to tear through this metal target and hit whatever is in back of this target.   The directions on back of this box reads, “Minimum distances:  At 800 fps, minimum distance of 10 yards.  At 1100 fps minimum distance of 30 yards.”  In other words, don’t stand any closer to this target box than the minimum distances for these fps guns.  Some air gun rifles may have an fps rating of more than 500fps.

This target box is about 10 inches by 8 inches.  It has a bar with two ducks on it and one that has two target circles on it and it is adaptable for paper targets.  I got two sets of ten, paper zombie targets.  The cover of the targets read these are “splattering” targets.  When a bullet hit it, it splatters.  I don’t know what that looks like yet since I just got this equipment yesterday.

Consider a pellet gun to sharpen your target skills and rid your place of small animals eating your produce and fruit.   In an emergency situation, you need the food you grow.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #379 on: March 31, 2013, 12:16:32 PM »
NEMP MOST LIKELY DANGER VERY SOON, PREPARE NOW – THIS IS A MOST IMPORTANT ARTICLE  -  PLEASE READ AND PREPARE

I’ve been gathering information about the threat from North Korea as they have issued a declaration of war against South Korea and the United States.  I wanted to determine if rocket/missiles from there could reach our country and put us in a state of emergency.  If that happened, preppers would be better off than those who have no preps, but what is the likelihood it could happen?  Do you need to shore up your preps, add more of anything to them?   However, read below an NEMP is the danger we face at this moment.

I was stunned yesterday to read North Korea has the ability right now to cause a nuclear electromagnetic pulse over this country.  They can do it right now because they have the capability to launch a satellite.  They’ve had success doing that.  That is not the same ability as sending a nuclear bomb by rocket/missile below the upper atmosphere to a location on the ground in the U.S..  Our government doesn’t think they have the rocket/missile ability to send such a bomb – but they do have the ability to launch a satellite .

The information I read was lengthy, the link is below, documenting exactly the process for launching this satellite with a low yield nuclear bomb and it would explode in the upper atmosphere over our country and they can do it right now.

I thought of the irony of writing that article here about an NEMP and the damage it would do as opposed to a solar flare.  I noted in that article that the government was more concerned about an NEMP than a solar flare and had that commission investigate the damage that would be done by an NEMP.

I suggest the reader re-read that article and go to the commission report link there and read the whole report. 

To be on the safe side, if you have a Faraday Cage, put your electronic equipment in it now.  Although there is a difference in opinion about Faraday Cages working, and whether they are needed in an NEMP attack, use one if you have it and load it now.  Unplug any equipment you don’t need working right now. 

If you have been putting off getting a WaterBob to quickly store 100 gallons of water, get that now.  The cheapest price ($17.99) for one is here:  http://www.hurricaneprepper.com/waterbob.html

Whatever you have put off getting for an emergency, get it now.  One can never have too much water or food.  If you have put off getting batteries, get them now.

The article that explains the capability of North Korea to deliver a super NEMP to this country is below:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/dec/19/north-korea-emp-attack-could-destroy-us-now/

The link to the North Korea declaration of war is below:

http://live.reuters.com/Event/North_Korea/70001409

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #380 on: April 03, 2013, 11:31:10 AM »
NEW AVIAN FLU STRAIN IN CHINA -  DO YOU HAVE PREPS TO QUARANTINE?

This time the China Ministry of Health think this new strain, H7N9 virus, has gone from wild birds into pigs, then into humans but one scientist thinks it’s going from birds straight to humans.  Two men are dead, one 87, one 27, one woman is in critical condition.  The 27 year old was a seller of pork.  That was two days ago and I believe more are sick or dead now.

This is a deadly virus with no vaccine.   It’s thought one of the victims ate pork and got it.  China says there is incomplete evidence that it is being transmitted human to human, then I read about a family where one got it and had not been around pigs so he got it from a family member  unless he ate tainted pork. 

There was a swine epidemic earlier and the latest I’ve read about that says they don’t know what was making these pigs sick and die.  I’ve read ten thousand and also read twenty thousand, infected pigs were tossed in a river and in March they started trying to get these pigs out of the water and destroying them.  I don’t know if that river water is used somewhere along that river for drinking water.

The reality is, we don’t know if it is being passed from human to human and/or from birds straight to humans or to pigs and the humans eat the pigs.

I’ll keep up with reports as this progresses until we know how it is passed for sure and if it gets out of China to other countries.  We don’t want this new serious virus to start killing people in our country.

In the article I wrote about China and the flu virus, I failed to mention a number of our group went on to Shanghai and stayed several days – every single one got sick with the flu.  I recall one said they wouldn’t drink water coming out of the faucet because it didn’t look clean.  They drank bottled water but if you eat food there, water is likely used in and around that food. 

In my opinion, going to China is hazardous to your health at any time.  I would not go back after my experience there.

If we have a viral pandemic from this (or some other disease) in this country, your preps will be important.  Be sure you have enough preparations to stay away from people for two months or longer.  Two months may not be long enough to get passed the mass infection period.   

Stay off airplanes if at all possible.  There is no way I would go overseas on a plane as you have to come back and one would not know if that virus was in a person or people on that plane with you.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #381 on: April 03, 2013, 04:33:50 PM »
TODAY, APRIL 3, 2013, NEWS FROM NORTH KOREA

Today, North Korea informed Washington a nuclear strike could happen in this country today or tomorrow, meaning, at any time, it can make a preemptive strike on the United States.  Their warning included, "The moment of explosion is approaching fast."   The wording was interesting as it was a strike using “cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means".

Based on their ability to cause a major NEMP (nuclear electromagnetic pulse) over the country via using their satellite capability, I wonder if that phrase they used indicates a NEMP strike?  If a country was going to drop a nuclear bomb onto a city, I don’t think smaller, lighter nuclear strike would fit.  It would, however, fit a lower strength nuclear bomb on a satellite in the upper atmosphere detonating causing a NEMP. 

“Cutting-edge smaller, lighter and diversified nuclear strike means”.  To me, that exactly defines a nuclear electromagnetic pulse – it would be diversified over the range of the pulse.

There was also news we sent truck mounted interceptors of missiles to the island of Guam.  Guam is about 2,100 miles from North Korea. We have an airfield there and about 6,000 military personnel.  That base is also for bomber airplanes and submarines.  It is named as a target in the North Korean declaration of war.  Our government is taking that declaration of war seriously.  Are you?

I didn’t know we had that many personnel on that Guam base – did you?  There is so much we don’t know about our military personnel over the world.  I did know about our air base just south from the DMZ (demilitarized zone) in South Korea as I had two extended family members stationed on that base some years ago.

We need to pray for our men and women on both bases – South Korea and Guam.  They will be in harm’s way if North Korea actually attacks those bases.

And, we need to think of our preps since we have a threat directly on our country.  This is the first time our country has had war declared on it since I have been old enough to reason about world events.   

Most of you are much younger than I am.  How does it feel to know war has been declared on your existence?  That your life and your way of life is threatened?  Don’t make the mistake most are making – and that is to think a small country is just blowing off steam and they won’t do it.  We had WWI which surprised people.  My father fought in that war.  He lived in rural Arkansas and ended up fighting in Europe.  He would never have thought he would be “Over There”.  Then, WWII happened and people thought that wouldn’t happen.  So many American men went to war “Over There” and died in Europe or Germany.  At the same time, Pearl Harbor was attacked by surprise and our military died in Hawaii – then, they had to fight in the Pacific islands, and one of those was Guam.  They were just home boys but had to go fight on a strange island or in a strange country.

What was the hardship at home during these times?  During WWII, I remember stamps for buying shoes and stamps for buying gasoline and stamps for buying sugar.  I think maybe there were stamps for buying coffee and I’m sure for other things but I don’t remember those.  Wives saved cooking oil and turned it in to use in the war effort.  I remember a blouse my mother made for me out of parachute nylon as nylon was a new thing.  That nylon did not breathe – that blouse was HOT in the summer time as no air could get through it even though it was thin.

If we have a NEMP, our hardships will be much worse than WWII.  The more preps you have, the better off you will be.  You need to have a way to have light, be able to cook, have food to cook, have food that doesn’t need cooking, have water, have at least one weapon and ammo for safety.  I feel like writing every article again that is in these articles, to make the point you must be prepared – you need insurance in the way of preps so you will be okay.

How do I get across to you, there could be an NEMP attack?  Perhaps Pearl Harbor and 9-11, is the best way to impress upon you what can happen when you don’t think anything is going to happen.  If you have seen some of the movies depicting the attack on Pearl Harbor, you know the military officers in charge at Pearl Harbor didn’t think there was enough threat to that area to do anything about it.  Our people in Washington knew there was a problem with Japan, but we never thought we would be attacked.  Messages weren’t read between Washington and Pearl Harbor, people were lax in government and the military.  Then, we were thrown into war on that front right along with the war in Europe/Germany.

The attack on the New York towers was a surprise.  We would have never believed those towers would fall and thousands would be killed there and at the Pentagon and in a field where a plane went down.  Think of your surprise about that and get prepared so you won’t have that feeling again if your power goes out and does not come back on. 

Don’t be surprised this time.  It may happen or it might not.  Just don’t be surprised and that means get your act together and deal with your preps.  Get what you need now.  Know where every family member is every day.  Have a way to communicate with your family all through the day.  If power goes off during the day and doesn’t come back on, what do you do?  How do you get the family together?  Does everyone have a backpack they carry every day with some water/food and communication equipment in it?  If you don’t have a plan, make one right now.  I live by myself so I don’t have to make plans with someone else, but most of you do.  Make those plans now. 

I hope none of us needs a single prep, but I want you to have them and not need them.  I am going to pray for all of you and for this nation that we will be safe from harm.  I invite you to pray, too.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #383 on: April 03, 2013, 10:27:35 PM »
Thanks, grannie, what you posted is a summary of information in the article I wrote on the difference between a solar flare and a nuclear electromagnetic pulse and the article I just wrote.  Your listing that adds credence to those two articles.  This is not a figment of our imagination - it can become our reality.

Why did Kim Jong Un issue that declaration of war?  He did it because he actually had something he could do and backed it up further by his latest threat.  Let us hope this never comes to pass but just as our military is preparing in Guam and sent ships off shore of South Korea, so must we prepare.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #384 on: April 03, 2013, 11:01:51 PM »
As you said earlier "If we have a NEMP, our hardships will be much worse than WWII."

I totally agree. Everyone depends so much on modern conveniences and most never lived in the days we did. Sadly, it's going to be a rude awakening.

Offline Entity

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #385 on: April 04, 2013, 05:23:26 AM »
Unfortunately It does appear that Kim Jong Un  is under pressure to live up the image his father built, in order to 'be worthy' of his position. Certainly one way, would be to 'complete the war' to the gain of the north.

Wither he understands the nature of the war that he is courting, or believes in the fairy tale of the 'short victorious war', remains to be seen.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #386 on: April 07, 2013, 09:23:03 AM »
Maybe he's just trying to scam us again to get us to send them more foreign aid...

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #387 on: April 08, 2013, 11:27:36 AM »
I'll soon post an article updating prep considerations due to continuing N. Korean threat.  Plus, an update on the new Chinese Avian flu virus and preps to keep us from getting it.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #388 on: April 08, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
UPDATES:  NORTH KOREA THREAT TO U.S. -  CHINESE NEW VIRUS THREAT - THE GOVERNMENT STOLE MY TV LAST NIGHT

PREPS FOR N. KOREAN NUCLEAR THREAT:

Today, April 8, North Korea shut down the large industrial complex that employed both N. Koreans and S. Koreans.  This takes a large amount of money from both countries.  One commentator said closing these factories means N. Korea is serious about their threats.  Instead of backing down, N. Korea is upping the odds of attack.  N. Korea has told diplomats from other countries living in N. Korea to leave by April 10.  They have moved one or two rocket launchers to their east coast.  The U.S. thinks N. Korea will set off another nuclear test in the next several days.

We have moved our military personnel from Japan to Guam to lower the possibility of a strike being made on Japan.   We have moved destroyer ships, two I believe, to off the coast of S. Korea.  We also have “bomb dropping” planes there.

The United States is taking these N. Korean threats seriously and so should we.  Although our west coast is a target, the U.S. doesn’t think a rocket or missile can reach us.  The operative word here, is, “doesn’t think”.  I have ordered last minute items I think are necessary if our country finds itself in peril.  I urge you to consider your preps, and obtain critical items.

Iodine tablets (potassium iodide) for nuclear fallout:
I got these tablets as a safeguard for my husband when the Japan nuclear reactors went down after the earthquake they had.  I cannot take these tablets as I am so allergic to iodine, they would probably kill me.  My doctor knows how allergic I am and a hospital will never be allowed to give me contrast dye with iodine in it.  If you know you are severely allergic to iodine, don’t take these tablets.

The tablets to get are IOSAT.  You can get them at www.ANBEX.com/.  It is one sheet of 14 tablets which is the amount of tablets to take for one person.  The tablets are tiny - so small one is likely to drop it.  The fact sheet reads, in part:

“IOSTAT is the first FDA approved “Thyroid Blocking Agent” for protection in a nuclear emergency.  IOSAT prevents the absorption of radioactive iodine that can cause thyroid cancer – especially in children.  Nuclear utilities, governments and emergency personnel have long kept potassium iodide (KI) on hand for their own protection, but the general public has had little access to this valuable drug.”

The price is $10 plus $4.00 shipping to Texas (your shipping cost will vary by state).  If I lived on the west coast or states next to those states, I would have these tablets if not allergic.

NEW CHINESE AVIAN FLU VIRUS:

As of yesterday, the World Health Organization, issued this statement:
“To date, a total of 21 cases have been laboratory confirmed with influenza A(H7N9) virus in China, including six deaths, 12 severe cases and three mild cases.”

“More than 530 close contacts of the confirmed cases are being closely monitored. In Jiangsu, investigation is ongoing into a contact of an earlier confirmed case who developed symptoms of illness.  At this time there is no evidence of ongoing human-to-human transmission.”

As I suspected would happen, ducks and chickens and pigeons are being killed after they were found to be carrying the virus.  Hopefully, they weren’t thrown in the river as the virus carrying pigs were.  And, guess what?  Open markets have been closed.  Remember, I spoke of being at one of those open markets with ducks walking around and meat hanging from hooks in the open air?  Don’t go to China and let’s hope that virus doesn’t make it here.

I don’t trust the statement, “At this time there is no evidence of ongoing human-to-human transmission.”  China is the worst to tell the truth about a virus and it could be transmitting from human to human now but they just haven’t discovered it yet.  That is why that sentence reads, “At this time…”.

Surgical masks:
You should have a supply of surgical masks, at least the strength of N95 masks.  If the virus is identified in your family, every family member PLUS THE INFECTED PERSON wears a mask 24/7.  Masks are for two reasons:  To keep you from giving the sick person another disease and to keep the spittle from the infected person off you.  A cough from the infected person will also send the virus flying through the air.  Don’t get any closer to the patient than you must as the virus coughed in your direction can go through that mask if you are close.  You need good medical gloves.  Your patient will have the virus on his/her hands so you must have protection on your hands.  Protection glasses should be worn as the virus can get in your eye and then to the rest of the body.  You can buy protection one use gowns to pitch that gown, those gloves, and the mask in the trash and seal it after you have on new gloves and new mask.  Put a trash can with plastic bag inside just outside the patient’s room for dumping these items.

You can find surgical N95 masks on Amazon below.  Do not buy N95 masks for “particles” as those are for workmen while sanding and will not do for biological masks.  Make sure it says “surgical” masks.  The ones below are surgical: 

http://www.amazon.com/3M-1870-Surgical-Mask-N95/dp/B000BZ1OFO/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1365443594&sr=8-4&keywords=N95+masks

Medical gloves:
There are many medical gloves on Amazon and there are Nitrile ones if you are allergic to rubber products.  Don’t get “Industrial” gloves as those are not medical gloves.  Get a big box.  A family member may get a “regular” bad cold or “regular” flu so use these gloves and the rest of the protection at that time to keep the family from getting it.

Disposable gowns:
You will find 50 disposable full back gowns, elastic at the wrist, for $19.00 at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Dynarex-Isolation-Fluid-Resistant-Yellow/dp/B000960KBO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1365445436&sr=1-1&keywords=disposable+medical+gowns\

You can find medical eye protection glasses here for $9.25:

http://www.amazon.com/Prestige-Medical-Colored-Temple-Eyewear/dp/B002WJHEMO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1365446205&sr=1-1&keywords=medical+protection+glasses

The proper masks, glasses, gloves, and gowns gives you the option of keeping your family safer from transmitted human to human disease.

THE GOVERNMENT STOLE MY TV LAST NIGHT:

I’m sure you have seen your TV go through an “Emergency Test”.  The picture will go off and there will be a screen with the words that read something like, “This is a test of the emergency broadcasting system”, then there will be a loud noise while that screen is still on, then it will go back to the program you were watching.

I went to bed late, and the time was ten minutes after 2 am (central time).  The program went off and there was wording about an emergency test.  I didn’t read the wording as I thought it was a regular test.  I grabbed the puncher so I could turn down the loud noise when it started.   The noise never started as my TV was turned completely OFF – the screen was black.   I no longer had the TV, whoever turned it off was controlling  it.  It didn’t respond to me at all – it was OFF.   In about a minute, the TV turned itself on and went back to the program.

Hussein Obama owned my TV last night, I didn’t.   If the government decided to keep my and your TV off,  I still have the battery operated ham radio receiver to find out what is happening.  If you recall, Hussein’s system also controls regular radios.  I wish I had one on last night to see if it also went dead and I would bet regular radios also went off for this “test”.

That happening is so like the book/movie 1984 by Orson Wells.  The government owned all their TVs and gave them orders every day through that system.  The owner had no control over that TV – it was the government’s  way of controlling the people and the government could also see through that TV and know what you were doing every minute of the day.

I’m sure Homeland Security says their controlling system of TVs and radios is “good” for us so they can tell us what to do during an emergency.  Hogwash friends, they stole our TVs and radios last night.

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #389 on: April 08, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
Oh, my, I'm watching the movie, "Outbreak", and saw a sick fellow in a movie theatre cough and it showed the spittle from that cough going through the air onto people rows away.

Please get some N95 masks if you have none.