Author Topic: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria  (Read 169460 times)

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
Re: After years of prepping and still going - by Victoria
« Reply #600 on: September 13, 2017, 03:25:32 PM »
I also thought about buying a new trash can and fill that, leaving my tub usable.

That's what I would do in a situation that I did not already store water.

Metal trash cans are handy. I have two 30 gallon ones full of T paper. Yes, toilet paper. You can stack 75 rolls in one. Mouse proof, doesn't take up near the room if you leave them packaged up.  ;D
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #601 on: September 13, 2017, 04:00:20 PM »
I also thought about buying a new trash can and fill that, leaving my tub usable.
@Chad

Sure, get a big one, put in the bladder and you have water.

As I was working on this book a few minutes ago, I was reminded of plenty of water the Texas and Florida people living in town could have had if they had no water.  All they needed was a Kilcock key.  There is one in our car and I want you to have one, too.

It works this way:
Every large commercial building has a faucet outside on their building.  It may be covered or not.  No one can get that water running unless he/she has a Silcock key to unlock it.  Silcock keys are on Amazon for $6 to $10 dollars, buy one that has four sizes on it.  One of those sizes will fit the lock on the building faucet and turn on the water.  Gravity in the building will make the water come out even though power is off. 

Commercial buildings in the Florida Keys have water in them and no one has thought of that water.  A Silcock key would give them water out of every closed/damaged commercial building. 
Victoria in Texas

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #602 on: September 29, 2017, 09:39:33 PM »

"Emergencies Happen - Be Prepared", 362 pages (110,358 words) book is being sent to agents (ten of them when I am finished, four are sent) in New York City, to find one who will take on this book and sell it to a publisher.

What you see in Puerto Rico is what will happen when power goes out in this country due to an EMP.  Without power, there is no water, there is no food, there is no gasoline, and no one works because they are searching for water and food for themselves and their family to stay alive another day.  There is plenty of dirty water - if the government gave people Big Berkey filters, the people would have good water all around them.  The mindset of people is, including the government, good water only comes in bottles from FEMA and bottles from the grocery.  If I was in charge of Puerto Rico, they would have water.  They would also have battery fans to stay cool and rechargeable batteries and a solar panel to keep charging the batteries.  The government only thinks in "generators" and there is no fuel for them.  Well, I could go on for pages about this - maybe FEMA will buy my book and find out how to deal with emergencies.  It is so sad to see these people in desperate need trying to stay alive.
Victoria in Texas

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #603 on: September 30, 2017, 03:39:29 AM »
  Have you noticed the difference in the way Puerto Ricans VS Texans face their problems? 
Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #604 on: September 30, 2017, 07:29:22 AM »
  Have you noticed the difference in the way Puerto Ricans VS Texans face their problems?
@Carl

You say you didn't come here to fight; perhaps you meant this post for another thread here.

As to the difference between Puerto Ricans and Texans facing their problems, I see no difference.  I have been through numerous hurricanes in Texas for over 30 years.  I would say 98% are not prepared and some buy out plywood, water, food, flashlights and batteries every time and when the hurricane goes through, thousands/millions are in the streets begging for water and food from FEMA.

Because Puerto Rico is an island, the situation is more desperate.  Almost every structure is gone or damaged so much they can't be used and there is not an area there unaffected.  Texas had "stuff" in other parts of their state and other states connected to it for supplies to get there quickly.  Puerto Rico is totally destroyed and surrounded by water.  Yes, if they had been "preppers" with already stored water and food, other preps, they would be better off now but they are no different that US people who also don't prepare.
Victoria in Texas

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #605 on: September 30, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »
  The not fighting is in my signature line....

It appears to me that Puerto Rico was fast to complain about response though I might also when facing such devastation.
Why,in such a storm prone area,are the individuals not better prepared with food and water etc? I often comment to myself
when I so often hear ,on Ham radio etc,that people I know have to shop for groceries nearly every day to carry home to eat.
 I keep many months of food and weeks of water ,even water filters,at my home and way more at my nearby BOL.

I grew up in a family that was poor but had a large pantry and think it as normal though and I guess times change..
I love your common sense approach to prepping.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #606 on: September 30, 2017, 09:43:13 AM »
  I grew up in a family that was poor but had a large pantry and think it as normal though and I guess times change..
I love your common sense approach to prepping.
@Carl

Carl,
Your family had a large pantry.  I am likely a generation older than you are – my parents grew up on a farm in Arkansas and their food was what they grew, milk and butter from their cows, meat from their pigs, eggs from their chickens.
Then they married and moved to Texas where he worked for Sun Oil Company and I was born.  We had a big garden, fruit trees, two pigs every year, and chickens.  Eventually, the grocery stores had a lot of food and people began to buy food there and not have gardens.  There is a sections of my book, “We Did It To Ourselves” that discusses how we got to where we are today.  Today, if the grocery has no food, people have no food.  Very few people grow a garden now and don’t know how to grow food.  I suspect they think you buy an envelope of seeds and throw it on the ground and it grows.  The first year I tried to grow food, I failed.  The second year I had 150 containers with real food growing, all grown from seeds.  I grew 10 types of tomatoes to see which tomatoes would grow better where I was.  Wow, I had tomatoes of my own growing from seed.  There is a Gardening section in the book explaining how to do this.

Right now on TV, I see people in Puerto Rico trying to cross a river where the bridge was taken out.  That rushing river of water would be good water if it was put through a Big Berkey water filter.  There is plenty of water there for everyone if they just had that Berkey.   That one filter cartridge in it will last for months before it needs another one.

Remember that saying, give a person a fish or give him/her a fishing pole and bait and he/she has fish forever?  It is the same with water.  Give a person a bottle of water or give him/her a Big Berkey and extra filter cartridges and they have good water forever.

I am glad you have stored water and food – you are one of the few who has done this and your family will live whatever the emergency – if it is an EMP, there will be no power, no water, no food, no gasoline.  People will start dying after 5-6-7 days without water.  Patients in hospitals will start dying within a few days after an EMP.  They will be the first to die.

Within less than one week after an EMP, it won’t be safe to go to any store as people desperate to stay alive will riot inside stores as they will have no money as ATM machines and banks will be closed.  That is the situation right now in Puerto Rico, they have no cash money because ATM machines don’t work and banks are closed.

Store one dollar bills and quarters.  There is a story in my book about my trying to get one dollar bills and quarters from a bank.  That is in Chapter Twenty-Three, “MONEY – BARTER OR NOT”.
Victoria in Texas

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #607 on: September 30, 2017, 11:20:10 AM »
  I look forward to your book and if you give most men a Big Berkey ,they will probably try to sell it to buy water.. :)

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #608 on: September 30, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »
  I look forward to your book and if you give most men a Big Berkey ,they will probably try to sell it to buy water.. :)
@Carl

I am afraid you are right. 

After a hurricane had passed and power was out, I gave hot coffee to a neighbor.  She was amazed I had hot coffee.  So, I offered her a Sterno stove and a can of canned heat plus a plastic filter to make her own coffee and heat food and she wouldn't take them because she had never seen those and was afraid of them.  You just can't help some people.
Victoria in Texas

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #609 on: September 30, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »
Similarly, if you build a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day.  But, if you set a man on fire, then you keep him warm for the rest of his life.

::)

Back on track, I'm looking forward to Victoria's book too.  And about "everyone should have a filter" – yeah, I agree.  But if you gave them out to the general population, the vast majority of them would end up shoved into a junk drawer and be non-functional gear when finally needed.  Gear has to be accompanied by a willingness to test, use, train, maintain, etc.
You just can't help some people.
Too true, Victoria, all too true.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline chad

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #610 on: September 30, 2017, 12:05:01 PM »
Similarly, if you build a man a fire, you keep him warm for a day.  But, if you set a man on fire, then you keep him warm for the rest of his life

:spit:

Glad to hear about the book

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #611 on: October 01, 2017, 07:52:26 AM »
Let us know how things progress with the publishers, Victoria...

Offline Victoria

• Survivalist Mentor
  • My Yorkie, Prissy
« Reply #612 on: October 17, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
@LvsChant
ALL

I have sent out 20 queries to New York City book agents as of last week.  Yesterday, Monday, I got an email from one of those agents who is interested in taking my book!  I have to put together a proposal and am working on that now.

I didn't expect an interested agent so soon.  This agent only accepts nonfiction and that is why I chose her to send a query.  There are a few agents like her - only taking nonfiction.

The proposal is long to put together - I should have it off to her by tomorrow.  Then, I wait to see if she actually accepts the book.
Victoria in Texas

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #613 on: October 17, 2017, 11:22:21 AM »
Great news! I hope it works out, Victoria.

Offline Stwood

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #614 on: October 17, 2017, 05:05:46 PM »
 8) 8)
Up and coming Prepper (2-1/2 years in)

And yes, I'm a chick.  Though my last boss did say I have balls.  In a good way. (RitaRose 1945) 08/04/2016