Author Topic: My BO Buckets  (Read 14541 times)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
My BO Buckets
« on: January 25, 2011, 11:17:40 AM »
When my DH was out of town elk hunting this past fall (more than 6 hours away) a news bulletin flashed on the TV about a chemical spill just east of where I live.  They had started evacuating along the highway that is just south of us.  I had a momentary sense of panic as to what I'd do if I had to evacuate.  What would I take?  I knew I'd go to the BOL and leave a message on DH's cell that's where I was but how quickly could I load up and get out? It all make me start thinking.  So my New Year's resolution was to figure ways I could quickly get us out of dodge.

I cannot carry heavy things or large plastic bins so I came up with some BO Buckets to add to our BOB's for a little longer staying capability. I wanted to use only stuff I had here since I have lots of home canned meats, veggies and fruits.  This is what I came up with.  I'm sure there's room for improvement but at least I have an extra 4 days (probably longer since it's a lot of food for two) to grab and go immediately.

Here's my list and photos:
BO BUCKET #1
(CONTAINS 2 BREAKFASTS, LUNCHES & DINNERS FOR 2 PEOPLE)
BREAKFAST 1:  SCRAMBLED EGGS (POWDERED W/ MILK ADDED), SM.
OLIVE OIL FOR COOKING EGGS,YODERS BACON
BREAKFAST 2:  INSTANT STRAWBERRY OATMEAL (W/MILK ADDED), GRANOLA BARS

LUNCH 1:  TUNA OR PEANUT BUTTER W/SALTINES, CHICKEN RICE SOUP, DRIED APPLES
LUNCH 2: CHEESE OR PEANUT BUTTER W/SALTINES, CUP A NOODLE SOUP, DRIED APPLES
DINNER 1&2 (ENOUGH FOR 2 MEALS):  CANNED ELK, INSTANT POTATOES W/MILK,
SALT & BUTTER PACKET; CANNED GRAVY, CANNED GREEN BEANS, CANNED PEARS
MISC.:  POWDERED MILK, ASST. TEA BAGS, SALT & PEPPER, HANDI WIPES,
LYSOL CLEANUP WIPES, SM. DISHSOAP, DISH SPONGE & TOWEL, MATCHES

BO BUCKET #2
(CONTAINS 2 BREAKFASTS, LUNCHES & DINNERS FOR 2 PEOPLE)
BREAKFAST #1:  BREAKFAST 2:  INSTANT STRAWBERRY OATMEAL (W/MILK ADDED),
YOGURT COVERED RAISINS
BREAKFAST #2:  WHOLE WHEAT PANCAKES, CANNED BUTTER, MAPLE SYRUP,
YODERS BACON
LUNCH #1&2:  TUNA OR PEANUT BUTTER W/SALTINES, BEAN SOUP OR
CUP A NOODLES, GRAHAM CRACKERS
DINNER 1&2 (ENOUGH FOR 2 MEALS):  CANNED CHICKEN W/SEASONING PACKET,
INSTANT WILD RICE W/BUTTER PACKET, CANNED CARROTS OR CANNED BEETS,
CANNED APRICOTS
MISC.:  POWDERED MILK, ASST. TEA BAGS, SALT & PEPPER, HANDI WIPES,
LYSOL CLEANUP WIPES, SM. DISHSOAP, DISH SPONGE & TOWEL, MATCHES

BO BUCKET #3
MESS KIT W/PANS, PLATES & CUPS, SILVERWARE, TSP FRENCH PRESS MUGS,
COFFEE, MATCHES, DECK OF CARDS, LYSOL CLEANUP WIPES, 2 WASH CLOTHS, 2 TOWELS.

MISC. KEPT WITH BUCKETS:  KELLY KETTLE, PROPANE STOVE & SM. TOILETRIES KIT
(TRAVEL SIZE SHAMPOO, DEODERANT, TOOTHBRUSHES, TOOTHPASTE, CHAPSTICK,
4 BANDANAS, BABY WIPES)

My next project will be a bucket loaded with only dried foods such as dry soups (corn/potato chowder, veggie soup), spaghetti, etc. made with my dried foods.   I am still working on recipes and developing what will go in there.  Hope this helps someone who may be like me and can't carry heavy items and may not be able to depend on someone else to do that for them.  Blessings!

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: My BO Buckets
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 11:49:23 AM »
Great idea TBM! +1

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 11:50:21 AM »
These look good - I would probably throw in some hard candy / M&M's / or some kind of 'fun' items.

Also a hand truck would make moving these very easy.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 11:54:24 AM »
Nice project and seems well thought out. Would it be practical or useful to include some disposable dishes and silverware in each of the meal buckets? Then you would be almost to having a self contained meal kit in each bucket in case you can't grab the others or they are lost some how.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 12:00:51 PM »
Would it be practical or useful to include some disposable dishes and silverware in each of the meal buckets?
Was just thinking the same thing. Don't forget the can opener!

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
I keep the same thing also TBM (along with our bobs) so we have extra stuff just in case. Great idea

Offline skionu

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 12:21:10 PM »
You've also stumbled upon a great way to hide your provisions in plain sight. I wouldn't think many looters would bother 5 gallons of house paint stacked on a shelf, but yet it's ready to go in a heartbeat if you need it.

Offline Amator

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:59:31 PM »
I like it...it's like a family size homemade MRE.  Maybe add a handful of individual wet-naps, some TP, coffee/tea/crystal light/etc.?

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »
Great stuff.
Thanks for posting that TBM!

Also, these would be good if a disaster struck a neighbor/friend/family member, you could just drop them off a bucket or two to get them past a tough spot.

Offline Mike Honcho

• Survivor
  • Est. 1974
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 01:25:05 PM »
SOLD!!!

Imitation is the greatest form of flattery, and now that that pesky Ruger purchase is out of the way I'm implementing this next week... Great Job and thanks for all the ideas!

(btw - here's another +1 for ya too!  ;))

endurance

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 01:35:27 PM »
Great idea.  It's like MREs on steroids.  I was trying to put together a 5-6 bucket system for caching at a friends house who's willing to put me up if I can't get back up the mountain after a serious snow storm, but this has given me a whole new direction to run with it. 

Thanks for the post.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 01:39:34 PM »
I forgot that I filled up bucket #3 with T.P. and THANKS TO SOCCER GRANNIE - I did forget a can opener for the canned butter, cheese and bacon!  That would really stink!

Also joeinwv suggested a hand truck - the nice thing about these is that I can carry them without extra help.  I made sure they didn't weigh more than about 30lbs each give or take.  So when I throw in the stove, kelly kettle, water jugs, people/puppy BOB's and of course the TwoBlues we should be good to go with room to spare.

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 01:43:21 PM »
Those are great TwoBluesMama, good job!

We have something similar, but in plastic totes. Yours however, are stocked with better Items than mine with the bacon and butter. You'll sail through any short term Bug Out with those.

As others have mentioned, some disposable plates, silverware, napkins, handy wipes and a can opener would be great additions if you don't have them already.

Thanks for sharing your idea and for adding pictures!

+1

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 06:15:27 PM »
I forgot that I filled up bucket #3 with T.P. and THANKS TO SOCCER GRANNIE - I did forget a can opener for the canned butter, cheese and bacon!  That would really stink!

Also joeinwv suggested a hand truck - the nice thing about these is that I can carry them without extra help.  I made sure they didn't weigh more than about 30lbs each give or take.  So when I throw in the stove, kelly kettle, water jugs, people/puppy BOB's and of course the TwoBlues we should be good to go with room to spare.

Thank you all for your kind words and suggestions.

Another +1 Mama, thanks for the post, idea and pics.  I'm going to start putting a few of these together myself.  You mention the Puppy BOBs, how about one of these buckets with a load of dog food (unless your dogs eat people food).  Something to think about with the dog food, is to put it into the freezer for a week or two to kill off the insect eggs.  Add an O2 absorber to further reduce the bug issue.  We put aside some dog food for our pup, and after a few months went to give it to him and it was full of bugs and webs. :( Kill those eggs off before they hatch.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Nice and very practical.
If companies made these as survival food kits these would sell like hot cakes.

Offline climberaxe

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2011, 06:36:41 PM »
You've also stumbled upon a great way to hide your provisions in plain sight. I wouldn't think many looters would bother 5 gallons of house paint stacked on a shelf, but yet it's ready to go in a heartbeat if you need it.
skionu - I like the hide in plain sight concept. I'd like to add the some paint drips down the side and maybe a label ("master bedroom. 1/2/11") where the date would be the date packed and the "room name" would help the owner know what's in each bucket. Old, sealed, paint covered bucket - 99% chance a thief wouldn't even give it a second thought.   

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
Good plan.  Even if you can lift heavy stuff. This makes for a good plan.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2011, 08:29:03 PM »
skionu - I like the hide in plain sight concept. I'd like to add the some paint drips down the side and maybe a label ("master bedroom. 1/2/11") where the date would be the date packed and the "room name" would help the owner know what's in each bucket. Old, sealed, paint covered bucket - 99% chance a thief wouldn't even give it a second thought.   

Rather than trying to recreate this, make friends with contractors, painters, theaters, etc. They all tend to use a fair amount of paint in 5 gallon buckets and they are usually already covered with paint. Of the fivers that I use for various projects, I tend to empty 90% of them myself and buy the rest. With a few tricks, they are actually pretty easy to clean out. Though I would personally make sure any food in them is well sealed just in case there are still some VOC's in the buckets.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2011, 08:38:34 PM »
As I mentioned in another thread, I use a variation of this with 1 gallon paint cans for ammo storage.

I hadn't thought of this.  I am going to shamelessly steal your idea, though I will give you credit.

This is such a superb idea on so many levels.  +1 and thanks a million.

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 04:26:38 PM »
When I began prepping a few years ago, I had three thoughts in mind: 1)The geographical region I live in is VERY earthquake prone - this is what I consider to be the most likely event to happen; 2)I felt a Bug-In Kit was my immeadiate need; 3)I wanted my Bug-In Kit to be portable enough to become a Bug-Out Kit if necessary. This led me to searching for an ideal container to use. The big Rubbermaid tubs were great except that they fill up quickly and become too heavy to lift. Duffel bags don't pack things well. At last, I found the 5-gallon paint bucket!!

It's fun to read this post because it was two years ago that I thought of the very same tips to help "conceal" my at-home cache; I even went so far as to keep a rolling pan with some rollers and brushes on top of them, just to "pass inspection."

But the overall reasons for choosing the 5-gallon buckets are these:
1) They are small and light to carry (hard to fill to the point of being too heavy)
2) They are mostly weather-proof
3) They are fairly tough
4) They are cheap
5) They are reuseable
6) They fit into the trunk of a passenger car

Last winter, my family tried a "trial" run with the items in our four buckets (plus sleeping bags and 2 5-gallon water jugs). We spent 24 hours in our house using only these items, then drove to a USFS cabin to spend another 24+ hours. We really couldn't have been happier. Of course there were some items that we didn't use, but  the size of the buckets will stay the same no matter how full or empty they are.

Anyway, just thought I'd share and say that I think that 5-gallon buckets are an excellent means to creating either Bug-In or Bug-Out Kits, or both!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 04:32:32 PM by Matt.T »

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 04:39:09 PM »
Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts Matt.

Make sure you stop by The Front Porch > Intro Thread and introduce yourself.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 05:04:53 PM »
Another +1 Mama, thanks for the post, idea and pics.  I'm going to start putting a few of these together myself.  You mention the Puppy BOBs, how about one of these buckets with a load of dog food (unless your dogs eat people food).  Something to think about with the dog food, is to put it into the freezer for a week or two to kill off the insect eggs.  Add an O2 absorber to further reduce the bug issue.  We put aside some dog food for our pup, and after a few months went to give it to him and it was full of bugs and webs. :( Kill those eggs off before they hatch.

I've been thinking about loading up several buckets with dog food. I keep 1 extra unopened bag at any given time but the Blues boys, well from the picture you can tell they love their food, so I wouldn't want to run out.  This would be handy in an emergency (snow like today) or for bug in or bug out.  I'd hate to have a house full of food and nothing for them (I'm sure they'd convince me to "fork over" some people food but really!). They have a BOB but I want to store more for long term and really appreciate your suggestion ChEng about freezing it first.  I do this with beans and rice (I got a cupboard full of bugs from a bag of rice once - ugh).  I definitely will be doing this after I go get more buckets.  The 02 is a good idea too!  Thanks for the suggestion.

When I began prepping a few years ago, I had three thoughts in mind: 1)The geographical region I live in is VERY earthquake prone - this is what I consider to be the most likely event to happen; 2)I felt a Bug-In Kit was my immeadiate need; 3)I wanted my Bug-In Kit to be portable enough to become a Bug-Out Kit if necessary. This led me to searching for an ideal container to use. The big Rubbermaid tubs were great except that they fill up quickly and become too heavy to lift. Duffel bags don't pack things well. At last, I found the 5-gallon paint bucket!!

It's fun to read this post because it was two years ago that I thought of the very same tips to help "conceal" my at-home cache; I even went so far as to keep a rolling pan with some rollers and brushes on top of them, just to "pass inspection."

But the overall reasons for choosing the 5-gallon buckets are these:
1) They are small and light to carry (hard to fill to the point of being too heavy)
2) They are mostly weather-proof
3) They are fairly tough
4) They are cheap
5) They are reuseable
6) They fit into the trunk of a passenger car

Last winter, my family tried a "trial" run with the items in our four buckets (plus sleeping bags and 2 5-gallon water jugs). We spent 24 hours in our house using only these items, then drove to a USFS cabin to spend another 24+ hours. We really couldn't have been happier. Of course there were some items that we didn't use, but  the size of the buckets will stay the same no matter how full or empty they are.

Anyway, just thought I'd share and say that I think that 5-gallon buckets are an excellent means to creating either Bug-In or Bug-Out Kits, or both!

Matt T - all I can say is great minds think alike!  ;D  Everything you posted is exactly why I came up with using buckets.   Glad you've joined the forum please check in on the Intro Thread  like Nicodemus suggested and also on the Region Boards. We love new people here.  We can all learn something from each other. 

I also worked a little today putting together some soup using only dehydrated ingredients.  Today's was made with powdered milk, dehy onions, dehy diced potatoes, dehy corn, dehy broccoli, dried garlic, ground red pepper, salt and pepper. I'll work up some more of these and post all my recipes after I get them taste tested (DH is picky - it never pays to be a good cook) so they have to be great not just so-so.  Blessings!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
I don't know if this is just me or not,.. but what happens if/when one bucket is damaged lost or etc.  If your bucket with your cookware is swept away how do you go on to fix a meal.

While it may not always be a good thing to have the same thing in 5 buckets, having a duplicate or two should be included.  What happens when you have the food bucket, but not the cookware bucket?  Water should be something that is in every bucket since it is so needed.

Just a thought... 

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 06:00:06 PM »
You may want to put another stove in one of the other buckets.  If somehow one of them goes missing, you will have a backup.

Another thought is to put in some heavy duty black trash bags for when the buckets are empty and you need to start getting rid of some of that food you ate.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 06:14:05 PM »
I don't know if this is just me or not,.. but what happens if/when one bucket is damaged lost or etc.  If your bucket with your cookware is swept away how do you go on to fix a meal.

While it may not always be a good thing to have the same thing in 5 buckets, having a duplicate or two should be included.  What happens when you have the food bucket, but not the cookware bucket?  Water should be something that is in every bucket since it is so needed.

Just a thought... 
Idelphic - I too had given this some thought before putting the buckets together but I felt that because our BOB also has cookware, backpacking stove, etc. in it that I would only include the mess kit in the one bucket with the TSP French Press Mugs and coffee and T.P . this would be an important bucket (one not easily lost!) cuz I'm not happy without coffee or T.P. :D. As far as loading water in the buckets - that would make them too heavy for me to carry which was the purpose of the buckets to begin with.  So water will be a separate item (several? 3? 4? I don't know) 5 gal. jugs and the Berkey off the kitchen counter. Thanks for the input!

You may want to put another stove in one of the other buckets.  If somehow one of them goes missing, you will have a backup.

Another thought is to put in some heavy duty black trash bags for when the buckets are empty and you need to start getting rid of some of that food you ate.
Thanks Fritz for the trash bag idea - something I had not thought of for bugging out.  I'd better add the lugableloo to the bug out stack and trash bags!  We also carry Coleman cook stoves in the truck so that gives us three which I know - you all have taught me - two is one and one is none.  What's three?  :D

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 06:22:02 PM »
you all have taught me - two is one and one is none.  What's three?  Cheesy

Planning ahead.

As for water - I admit that I wasn't thinking in gallons but 16 or 20oz bottles. I understand about not over loading them, not just from your stand point, but from a child's standpoint as well.

I would only include the mess kit in the one bucket with the TSP French Press Mugs and coffee and T.P . this would be an important bucket (one not easily lost!)
My luck is that is the one bucket I'd forget or would get lost.

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 06:24:13 PM »
I suppose personally I don't worry about the group of buckets being broken up, or losing one, mainly because they are mostly intended as a Bug-In Kit (along with sleeping bags and water jugs).

My BOL is a nice log-cabin about an hour drive away and is stocked with pretty much the same items I have in my buckets, but with some additional items intended for longer-term habitation. Taking the 5-gallon buckets would only be for the purpose of having back-up, replacement or trade items, should the situation dictate it.

And honestly, if I absolutely needed to "Bug-Out" without these buckets my BOB is readily available and provisioned with the necessary tools to get me to my BOL.

I suppose that I follow the doctrine of relying on my skills, knowledge and abilities rather than on my gear. That is not to say that our equipment is not important, I just don't like to put all my eggs in one basket. I like to know that if my gas stove is lost, or broken, or stolen, or whatever, I can start a fire with matches and a lighter. And if neither of these tools are available, then I still possess the knowledge and skills to make a fire with a bow drill. Of course, as all humans would do, I would use the easiest method first. But like Jack says, prepare for when times get tough, even if they don't.

Offline Prag

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Prag
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2011, 09:10:30 AM »
Very well thought out and executed TBM!

While I have several "mixed" buckets that would serve the course of a few days while bugging in, I really need to make up a few of these for just such a scenario as you put forth.
I appreciate the idea, and the pics help immensely.

I now have it on my "to-do" list!  :)

Good call Fritz! Sanitation is a priority.

Good post(s) Matt and welcome.

Offline phlat

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2011, 11:49:44 AM »
I've had a similar idea for a while, and even have one add-on. 

Sucks to be all dressed up and no place to go, right?  ;D

(image from Cabelas, but you get the idea.)  You can pick up just the lid, or make shift your own.  Pack the bucket full of TP/Wipes/bags/powder/etc. 

endurance

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2011, 12:53:29 PM »
I've had a similar idea for a while, and even have one add-on. 

Sucks to be all dressed up and no place to go, right?  ;D

(image from Cabelas, but you get the idea.)  You can pick up just the lid, or make shift your own.  Pack the bucket full of TP/Wipes/bags/powder/etc. 

I have something similar that I picked up years ago from Emergency Essentials.  Brilliant item and a must have for everyone.  Three years ago when the GF's sewer line got backed up by tree roots, it was there to pinch hit until we could schedule the rooter.  Last summer it filled in again when our new septic system ran behind schedule and we were already half moved in to the new place. 

That and a roll of 30 kitchen garbage bags and you're set for a week of emergency sanitation.