Author Topic: No blanch veggies  (Read 1402 times)

Offline chrisdm8

• Senior Survivalist
    • GizmoDirt - Foodstand
No blanch veggies
« on: January 25, 2011, 01:33:35 PM »
This past year was a strange one for the garden. The only thing I had in excess was tomatoes. I searched for what to do with them because I didn't have time to can them all and saw somewhere that you can freeze tomatoes without blanching them. So as we had extra tomatoes I would wash them real good, stick them in bags, and straight into the freezer.

Last night I decided I would finally make time to pull them all out and make spaghetti sauce. It was nice to be able to do it all at once rather than a bunch of smaller batches throughout the fall. The tomatoes and peppers I froze came out fine. They were not suitable for eating fresh but perfect for cooking. They all still had a nice fresh smell too ... which is nice in the middle of winter.

Overall, the sauce turned out the same as it has when I've done it from fresh. So I think I might try it again next year.

Anyone else have experience with storing anything else short term without blanching? I know most thing will require it but if you can get things to the end of the season at least it would make canning easier.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
Re: No blanch veggies
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 01:58:48 PM »
+1 from Mama - great photos and great post.  This does make it easier when you are overwhelmed with produce at harvest time.  I never blanched tomatoes either if I freeze them - just pop 'em in a freezer bag and go.  Have done apples and peaches that way too but that's about all. I really liked this year just slicing the tomatoes (extremely lazy way was to throw them in the food processor with the slice blade) and then dump them out on the dehydrator tray over the sink and let them drain for a minute. Continue with the rest and then into the dehydrator and dry til crisp. Then into the blender til powdered.  I made spaghetti sauce last night using the tomato powder and it was great.  Also added a few dehydrated veggies instead of meat (used diced carrots, sliced celery, diced onions and diced mixed peppers).  Another way to store tomatoes.  Thanks for the post!