Author Topic: Mini kit time  (Read 8154 times)

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
Mini kit time
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:48:55 PM »
For my up coming class teaching the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge, I am requiring my students to prepare three survival kits.  The Maxi, the Mini and the EDC.  The Maxi kit contents must fit in a one gallon zip lock bag (does not have to be carried in one).  The EDC is a few items that will fit the concepts of EDC. 

Then there is the Mini kit.  I am having them build it around an Altoids tin. As an example, I dug out my kits and rebuilt it.  While this kit is untested, most of the items in have been. In addition it is a demonstration kit.  Some of the items would not be my first choice.  The bleach is one for example.

Here we go

Whistle - signaling
Mirror - signaling
Aluminum foil - cooking, water, brain shield
Orange duct tape - multi-use, signal
Heavy needles x2 - sewing, navigation
heavy thread - sewing
alcohol preps x3 -first aid, fire
PJ cotton in sealed straw x2 - fire
candles x2 - fire
ferro rod - fire
beef bouillon pack - water
20ft para cord - multi-use
note paper, 4 sheets - multi-use
survival reference - positive mental attitude 
blades x2 - cutting tool
safety pins - multi-use, repair, food
snare wire - food
nail - multi-use
hooks x7 - food
split shoot - food
fishing line -food, multi-use
band aids x2 - first aid
button compass - navigation
twist ties x2 - multi-use
glove - water
10 drops bleach sealed in straw x4 - water

Packed away. Tight fit

All wrapped up

Offline Naturalist-ina-Cooper

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Mini kit time
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:55:38 PM »
Very nice!  Can't wait to see the others.  May have to try something like this with my summer camp this year...

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:00:33 PM »
Excellent kit.  I like having different sized kits for different scenarios and bags.

I'm liking the lifeguard waterproof containers for size for the kits I'm looking at building with the troop.  Altoids tins are good but just a tiny bit smaller than I like.  Plus the plastics float and have built in straps. 

Can't wait to see the other sized kits.

Keep em coming  ;D

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:44:23 PM »
Thanks

Apparently I miss numbered my photos.  The last one should have been...

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:46:35 PM »
That's a nice wrap there. Is the loop functional to hang the kit from? Did you do it from a tutorial or figure it out yourself?

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 09:54:55 PM »
that is my  handy work

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 10:00:23 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like to also see how you did that wrap. Any chance of a tutorial on it?

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 08:07:36 AM »
That's a nice PSK drthumbs, thanks for sharing!

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 08:20:49 AM »
Nice drthumbs!  Thanks for the pics +1!

Offline Shogunn

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 07:24:55 PM »
Thats a clever looking kit drthumbs. I admire your ability with 550 cord. The cord probably cuts down on the noise signature too I'd imagine.   

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 10:23:28 PM »
That cord wrap should help with the longevity of the tins also.  I don't know if its just me or what,  But every altoid tin I've had has come apart at the hinge after about 2 to 4 months.  (I have carried them in both my front and back pocket).  Back pocket lasts even less, granted I've only used 2 of them in the last year so the jury is still out.  I used an old inner-tube and cut some wide bands to wrap the last one in and it helped but it still got smashed in my pockets.   I have some leather now and am planning on making a couple of small flexible wrap type pouches but not sure how to start with them.  I want them to close securely but still be flexible.   Not sure if a round pouch or a longer "rolled" pouch would be better.   I guess I should get off my lazy butt and just make a couple and see how it pans out.

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:04 PM »
Nice kit and thanks for your work with the Scouts. It good that people are still passing the prep mindset onto the new generation.

Pat

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
I have some leather now and am planning on making a couple of small flexible wrap type pouches but not sure how to start with them.

Doc -

You might start with something a bit lighter then leather to start off with.  Some canvas or heavy linen, heck even a wore out pair of jeans should work to proof the concept.  If you use a pair of jeans, you could use pins first to test placement rather spending all the time to sew it up only to pull it all out again.

Hmm.. Just so happens that Eli has a pair of jeans with a rip in it,.. pointless to repair, might have to pull this out and play with it while being in a vegetative state in front of the TV ...   

Offline Docwatmo

• Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »
Good Idea.  I have a couple of pairs of jeans that are getting very soft and ripping easily and falling apart.  (I wear clothes till they die, literally LOL).

Thanks

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:27:30 PM »
I carry my mini kits in these:

http://www.countycomm.com/PCC.htm

The large size fits an Altoids tin perfectly. Velcro bands on the back make attaching to a belt (or molle/pals) easy.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2011, 09:43:48 PM »
I carry my mini kits in these:

http://www.countycomm.com/PCC.htm

The large size fits an Altoids tin perfectly. Velcro bands on the back make attaching to a belt (or molle/pals) easy.

I like those pouches...but I love that site countycomm.  They have some good deals!!

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2011, 09:23:25 AM »
I like those pouches...but I love that site countycomm.  They have some good deals!!

The problem with them is like potato chips....you can't just order ONE item. There's always something else you end up adding to your order!

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2011, 12:39:49 PM »
those are nice

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2011, 08:44:22 PM »
I like the monkey fist wrap around the altoid tin.

For a larger size tin with a screw on lid, look at 100g / 2oz tobacco tins. Plus, they come full of delicious pipe tobacco.

endurance

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 08:59:04 AM »
As long as we're showing off mini kits, here's mine:

Wetfire cube, 1 liter water pouch, #10 scalpel blade, CRKT Doug Ritter knife, 18" duct tape, compass, 10' steel wire, pen cartridge, 6 aquamira purification tablets, squeeze light, 12' reflective 125# rated cordage, whistle, ferro rod, 4 tinders, vinyl pouch, 2 safety pins.

I spent the night out with essentially all the above items plus a space blanket two summers ago and was really impressed at what you can do with just the most basic of shelter building materials.

Probably my favorite find of the year was a one quart water container that would fit in a compact kit.  No more condoms in your sock!

Offline phlat

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 10:23:37 PM »
Nice packs guys.   Ive never been a fan of altoids kits.  In practice they get bent up bad.  Anyways, i have a thought. 

For those packing signaling mirrors to be found (wilderness use im assuming), i have a sub $2 suggestion.  Get a cheap laser pointer.  Work in no/low light conditions and are gonna get some attention. (ever see the videos of stupid people pointing them at police helicopters??)
Very compact.  Could be used for light with a simple diffuser.  Just wrap the batteries separate in some tape or something to keep them fresh.