Author Topic: Nesco Dehyrators Recalled  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
Nesco Dehyrators Recalled
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere.  I know a lot of people here have these.

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml11/11104.html

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 20, 2011
Release #11-104    Firm's Recall Hotline: (800) 726-4457
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908
Food Dehydrator Recalled by NESCO American Harvest Due to Fire Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: NESCO American Harvest Gardenmaster Food Dehydrator

Units: About 4,800

Manufacturer: The Metal Ware Corporation, of Two Rivers, Wisc.

Hazard: A defective capacitor in the electronic control module can overheat, posing a smoke and fire hazard.

Incidents/Injuries: NESCO received three reports of overheating resulting in smoke or fire. No injuries have been reported.

Description: The recalled product includes a base with stackable trays to place food. The top of the unit houses the electronic control module. Model number FD-1020 and production date codes: 09E 0610; 09E 0624; and 09E 0903 are molded into the underside of the dehydrator's electronic control module.

Sold at: National mass merchandisers and retailers and online at www.nesco.com and other websites from July 2009 to January 2011 for about $140.

Manufactured in: China

Remedy: Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled product and contact NESCO for instructions on how to receive a free electronic control module.

Consumer Contact: For more information, contact NESCO at (800) 726-4457 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or visit the firm's website at www.nesco.com

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Nesco Dehyrators Recalled
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 06:50:49 PM »
I think this is the same recall posted here.

Thox Spuddy

Re: Nesco Dehyrators Recalled
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »
Very interesting, I had a smaller Nesco with the same problem melting the housing and would've caught fire had I not caught it in time. When I returned it without a receipt and they saw what had happened I was refunded the full amount.

I don't blame this totally on Nesco but rather the Chinese manufacturer as this was the third appliance that the thermostat/capacitor has failed; a Hamilton Beach toaster oven, an electric heater, and the Nesco product.