Author Topic: a need nobody talks about  (Read 20769 times)

Offline m6996j23

• Prepper
a need nobody talks about
« on: January 26, 2011, 06:22:48 PM »
hi lady preppers,  my wife suffers from bladder control.  the pads for this are expensive and when they run out what,  a good alternative is mircrofiber cloth.  it keeps her dry and comfy for hours.  they are reusable and a true life saver.  this is the only good alternative my wife has found that is compareable to the pads in comfort and duration.  i hope this helps someone.  it helped my wife and my sanity

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
Re: a need nobody talks about
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 10:32:50 PM »
You know that's a good idea. A friend of mine suffers from that too, I think I'll recommend them to her.

Offline Serenity Gulch

• Survivor
    • Serenity Gulch Farm
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:20 AM »
Thanks for the tip!

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2011, 07:31:12 PM »
Oh wow now I'll be sharing this with my Gram.

Thanks

Offline Kerri_Rae

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
A great tip! I cloth diapered my little ones and found microfiber directly on the skin can cause a lot of skin irritations and know lots of other cloth diapering moms recommended against it (direct skin contact, not the general use). There are lots of cloth pads out there made with various materials, maybe something to look into? I know they can be an investment but if pads are used on a regular basis, it may be worthwhile to look into. Etsy and HyenaCart are great places to start for anybody interested.

Offline Woody Borghini

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 12:27:40 AM »
Hey, how about tampons too.

Okay, seriously, I'm not kidding.

Does anyone have any cool ideas for multiple uses for tampons.
I am a man. I honestly do not carry tampons, but I have thought about them a lot for my preps. What about serious wounds? I am obviously not a medic. I just wonder if there is any good reason that I should have any tampons available. I think there are, but I can't convince myself yet. I will need some motivation.

-Woody

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 05:38:56 AM »
For treating a serious nosebleed, nothing beats a tampon.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 06:31:58 AM »
I'm a guy and I keep 2 tampons and 4 heavy duty pads in my bags.  Only ever had one person question why with a smirk, after I explained, he now carries them in his bag. 

There is a book called "The other 23 days, alternate uses for hygiene products" or something like that.  I don't have the book but someone pointed me at it a while ago so I can't say if its good or not.   I'm sure a little internet searching could turn up most of them though.

I keep mine primarily for first aid.  Our drill sergeants used to use pads on the inside of their DI hats to keep the sweat from getting into the brim and staining them.  I have wrapped a pad around the inside top of my boot where the top of my boot was rubbing against a scrape I had on my calf.  (Think of it like giant moleskin).  Worked like a charm. 

Any place you want neatly attached, easily removable disposable absorbency or extra padding. 

Offline DeltaTangoSierra

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 12:35:51 PM »
A buddy of mine is a swat paramedic/fire fighter/EMT who also teaches fire arms training in East Central Illinois and he suggests that everyone have a blowout kit for whenever and where ever you are planning on using firearms.  A tampon is a good first aid in a gunshot wound, in addition to or if necessary in lieu of an Israeli bandage.

I am also wondering if they could be pressed into service as a shotgun swab for cleaning.

I would imagine if the SHTF, tampons could be a good barter item as well.

Options for folks who are prepping for not having those types of things some day...

http://www.divacup.com/  - Reusable.

or for the crafty person, washable crochet

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=178151.0

I know guys don't want to think about these kinds of things but would be a necessity.  I should know I have a wife and two daughters.  This kind of thing has become part of our prepping plan.

amanadoo

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2011, 12:45:12 PM »
Hmm, Maybe there should be a separate thread about the many possible uses of tampons and pads?

But as far as bladder control, tampons won't get you anywhere. You can pee with them in, without affecting its intended performance.

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 06:31:27 PM »
I believe Bear Gyrlls also said tampons are good for getting fires started.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »
For emergency first aid, if you have a large bleeding wound to treat, a panty liner is good, a sanitary napkin is better, and a baby diaper is the best. Not only are these items generally sterile, they also have plastic backings, which means that if you have to spend ten minutes at a shot pressing them down hard onto the wound to apply needed pressure, the blood doesn't ooze through to your (bare?) hand.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 08:44:16 AM »
M6996j23 fantastic info I never thought of micro cloth.  Has your wife tried other things? Could be very useful info so others could try or avoid a lot of frustration in experimenting.  This issue is fairly new to me and extremely frustrating.  This is a very common problem and for those that don't have to deal with it I am happy.  To be blunt  walking around with cold wet pants sucks can cause all kinds of skin irritants. Not to mention stinking with repeated dry and dribble.  All the extra laundry.  For the most part this is a daily issue not just once a  month. As far as micro cloth being irritating to skin guess I will have to try for myself.  You have to remember a babies skin is more sensitive and again to be blunt they have no hair.  Hair can be a good barrier to irritants even if mildly.  Good alternative uses for period products but remember bladder and uterus two different organs.  For FYI washcloths ok for a very short time and can save your socks from getting wet ( let you use your imagination on that one) but very bulky and soaks through.  Thanks again U R right it is a need nobody talks about.  You know men have this problem too.

Offline incendiary_dan

• Prepper
    • Twenty-nine Thousand Acorns
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2011, 07:28:23 AM »
Cattail fluff is fantastically absorbant.

Offline Roundabouts

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 02:44:02 PM »
Ok so I have been looking on line and trying to find something that would work.  So little is out there.  For such a common problem.   I can say I was irritated with the way  UI was put across.    Like you have to be 80 yrs of age or older.  Or you are a baby. Or a dog.  Keep it a secret.  Be embarrased.  Well I call BS on that!  So the frign plumbing dosn't work like it use to so what.   I am supose to hide in the bathroom till I die? 

Now for the monthly thing I was shocked at how much was out there.  Very interesting.  The problem with using some of the monthly homemade pads is that often the material used wont absorb fast enough. However I did manage to come across fabric info on PUL,ProCare, and Zorb.  Zorb seems to be the most promising.  Stating that it can absorb 10x it's weight in less than half a second (20x's faster than cotton bamboo or hemp)  Plus it is stated that a single layer can hold 3  times the moisture of the best absorbing knits so leaking and exterior wicking can be reduced or eliminated. 

So for now it will be trial and error.  Getting a few different supplies to see what I can come up with.  Combining the info from menstrual pads baby diapers and the stress UI sites maybe I will come up with something new.  For me it must be economicaly efficient and effective.  Any one want me to keep you up dated on progress and or info? 
Came across these sites .  Some things are so very $$$.  It can be worse buying disposable.

http://www.shopnational.com/Healthcare-Incontinence
www.eversures.com (undies)
www.elderstore.com   (washable pads 3 pack called Dignity reusable Pad) the only smaller ones I could find.

http://www.obsidianstar.com.au/index.php
www.mom-and-me-creation.com
http://www.diaperfabric.com/
www.celticclothswholesale.com

Offline thefamfarm

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 09:54:32 PM »
working in a nursing home this was definitely an issue, I had a patient who use to wear a diaper and put a pad in it come 'that time of the month' (she was paralyzed) anyhow, the DON stated that the diaper would absorb the blood so she didn't need an extra pad and that on the same note the period pad would absorb the urine (she had a catheter so only small amounts came out) anyhow, needless to say I have tested this theory myself as far as period pads go, being that I suffer from neurological problems and severe muscle spasms that appear to be seizures (and we often refer to them as such) one can guess my bladder (which is a muscle) is not the most dependable, and as a young female who was poor it was way easier for me to get period pad from the 'food banks' than it was for me to get incontinence pads....and the period pads work great for my 'little misfortunes'...on the same note the tiny pantyliner also work for those 'can't get to the bathroom cause I am lying on the floor convulsing' minor leaks, I don't think they would hold for full blown bladder busting but they do the job for minor leaks...just some food for thought, my favorite part about the pantyliner--a lot of them come scented...I sometimes can find them on the clearance rack at walmart so I always stock up when I see them there.

I do believe I am the only 20 something 'eager' to tell people I have bladder issues but nobody told me, nobody warned me, had I not worked in a nursing home for years I would have had no idea even how to handle it....so I definitely don't mind sharing with others since heaven knows I wish someone had been this bold about it with me.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 06:26:04 AM »
I do believe I am the only 20 something 'eager' to tell people I have bladder issues but nobody told me, nobody warned me, had I not worked in a nursing home for years I would have had no idea even how to handle it....so I definitely don't mind sharing with others since heaven knows I wish someone had been this bold about it with me.

thank you for sharing.  that is why we are here, to share things that work.  Welcome to the forum.

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2011, 04:14:32 AM »
using disposable diapers for open cuts and people with rashes.... just a caution. the gel within the diaper that absorbs the wetness.... if that gel gets into contact with a wound it causes a blood clot! make sure to always inspect each diaper before use. i use to do R&D on a couple brands for many years and it isn't rare for this gel to get on the outside and easily exposed to skin. infact if you saw what i have and you care for the enviorment... noone would be using these. more is wasted just making it daily than is likely used in a day for babies in the u.s.

otherwise.... check out freebie forums. every so often i check out some to see if there's anything i'd like and i frequently see bladder diapers, tampons and pads available by various companies and agents they hired. a quit simple form and you can use a bogus name. just get a seperate email address to avoid spam as some will spam.

Offline winniekate

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 11:23:44 AM »
Cattail fluff is fantastically absorbant.
  All this time there's been tampons down by the creek free for the picking and I never knew? 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 11:35:42 AM by winniekate »

Offline benc

• Prepper
    • Practical Firearms Institute
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 05:06:59 PM »
What about alternate stuff to use in place of pads and tampons?

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2011, 08:40:06 PM »
What about alternate stuff to use in place of pads and tampons?

i've heard of some women making their own pads using old shirts. i haven't tried it before but just did a quick smart engine search and here's a link. http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/sanitarypads.htm

i've also heard of those cup things women insert inside and they are re-useable. it just seems too uncomnfortable for me to try it.

amanadoo

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 09:20:42 PM »
A diva cup or similar menstrual cup does not catch urine. Pads of some kind are really the only solution for bladder control.

Offline benc

• Prepper
    • Practical Firearms Institute
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 11:33:47 PM »
A diva cup or similar menstrual cup does not catch urine. Pads of some kind are really the only solution for bladder control.

I was only thinking of monthly needs and wasn't thinking of bladder control.  Good point though.  I asked my Grandma and she said they used flannel squares.  I wished I'd pressed through the awkwardness to get more specifics.  Her mind is no longer capable of answering.

Ben

amanadoo

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 07:06:34 AM »
Ah, well you were looking for this little guy, BenC  :)

http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=22472.0

FWIW, I've had two children and I still wouldn't want to talk to my Grandma about her menses. LOL, And I am soooooooooooo sure the feeling is mutual.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 06:38:24 PM »
  All this time there's been tampons down by the creek free for the picking and I never knew? 
Bahahaha!

Offline CaliforniaPoppy

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2011, 12:29:03 AM »

i've also heard of those cup things women insert inside and they are re-useable. it just seems too uncomfortable for me to try it.

I have one, and they really aren't uncomfortable at all. They come in two sizes, for women who haven't had kids, and those who have. Without being too graphic, it is folded it in half and in half again, then inserted, and it pops open. That's it. I got mine at Whole Foods, paid for itself in about 3 months. They last for years. They are sold on ebay, in health food stores, and online. Mine is a Diva.

I wish I'd bought one a couple of decades ago when I first heard of them, because they are better than anything else I've ever used. I was honestly surprised at how wrong I was about them.

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 01:15:53 AM »
I have one, and they really aren't uncomfortable at all. They come in two sizes, for women who haven't had kids, and those who have. Without being too graphic, it is folded it in half and in half again, then inserted, and it pops open. That's it. I got mine at Whole Foods, paid for itself in about 3 months. They last for years. They are sold on ebay, in health food stores, and online. Mine is a Diva.

I wish I'd bought one a couple of decades ago when I first heard of them, because they are better than anything else I've ever used. I was honestly surprised at how wrong I was about them.

every woman i've known to use these all say the same ... that it isn't uncomfortable. i'm a pad person. i only use tampons on first day or two if i'll be out all day etc incase i leak outside on sides of pads. just extra percaution even if no chance to happen.
i really dislike tampons period. why i won't try the cup. but i pass the info on for options to women who ask.

Offline nature_sprite

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 01:30:58 AM »
hey calipoppy,

if you don't mind my asking... is it a simular feel as like tampons or "smoother". as i said... i can't stand tampons in. i just always notice it.

and not sure if it's in this thread or not.... but i quit buying them years ago. i seldom use them since like 15-20 years ago and i get them for free on freebie websites directly from the companies promoting. i infact still have tampons left from years ago i bought... my prefered brand. but a quick grab use others sometimes.

edit* i even plan vacations etc around my moon cycle. i just hate it all period! lol. i'll stay home over current years sometimes if i can get away with it or just be low key in recent years... unless there's too much fun to be had and don't want to miss out.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 01:39:41 AM by nature_sprite »

Offline chickchoc

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2011, 09:05:42 PM »
I am getting an incontinence problem due to ligament relaxation after childbirth, but I'm not ready for surgery to fix this yet so this topic is one I am interested in.  Fortunately I'm postmenapausal, so the monthly "gift" is not an issue for me.

Regarding how to deal with blood or urine leakage, "back in the day" we used cloth pads with "garter belts" to hold them in place.  I don't even think panties were used with them since everything was "covered". 

I've tried to attach a couple of drawings showing the basic idea.  Design#1 is a unified moisture barrier/belt.  The moisture barrier is permanently attached to an elastic waistband with elastic strips.  Design #2 is more like the original design I recall from 40 years ago.  Again, an elastic waistband has two elastic extensions on both the front and back that each end in a garter snap.  The four corners of a separate moisture barrier would be attached to the belt via the garter snaps.  (I seem to recall that pads had "tails" designed to be clipped into the garter snaps.)  Both designs could be easily constructed without a sewing machine, maybe even with fabric glue.  I think they could be sized from panties women already wear for a custom fit. 

In fact, one might be able to simply place a water barrier in a panty crotch and keep those modified panties put aside for menses.  (It seems to me I vaguely recall something like this was commercially available before pads were produced with adhesive backs.   

Perhaps in a SHTF scenario, moisture-proof panty barriers could be created pretty easily with plastic from any reasonable source (ziploc bag, trash bag, plastic tablecloth, etc.) and duct tape to attach the plastic liner to the underside of a panty crotch.  Clearly one would wish to prepare ahead of time, but in an emergency cobbling this together is better than nothing.  (I actually used this idea at work one time when I had to use a wad of toilet paper for a pad.) 

Another issue I think is that no one has mentioned the danger of getting either a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) or vaginal infection from a combination of irritation and perhaps even too MUCH absorption.  Perhaps some of you older ladies might even recall the Toxic Shock Syndrome warnings about the "Super" tampons.  My grandmother (born 1901 on a ranch in Oklahoma) used rag squares and simply washed them out.  Flannel was preferred because of its softness and absobancy.  She told me that every woman had a special supply put aside for their use each month.  Clearly bloomers were probably soaked at times, too, but women accepted they would have to wash things frequently.  I suspect these were "special" panties, too.

Today, a piece of Underarmor-type sport wicking material next to the body with an absorbant layer underneath and a moisture barrier as a final layer would be a good idea.  The sport wicking material could be repurposed from an old sport shirt.  One could even make a tube of this material and stuff it with cattail fluff or milkweed fluff.  Native Americans used both of these materials for babies.  After use, the tube could be turned inside out to remove the fluff and then the tube could be washed.  Sport wicking material dries in next to no time, so making enough tubes for a few days' use would be a good idea, I think.

I would also suggest that women lay in a supply of pyroxidene (sp?) for those pesky UTIs.  Yes, it deeply discolors one's urine, but a day or two of the pills kicks out minor infections.  I would also suggest ladies keep a supply of Monistat, too.   These are both widely available OTC at grocery stores and pharmacies for reasonable prices. 

Offline carolm

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 10:02:39 PM »
Learnin a whole lot from this thread.  Thanks everyone! 

As far as diva cups  go, I agree with the lady who is concerned about trying them.  I also absolutely HATE tampons, period!!  I have to use the overnight ones simply to find one that fits, and even then I leak past it most times.  And they sometimes pinch me.  Since I have to wear a pad anyway to catch the leaks, I quit buying tampons and only get pads.  The only time I will use a tampon is when I have a vaginal infection and need to get/keep my essential oils up there to treat it. 

That being said, ARE the diva cups smoother than the tampons, and do they conform to the body better than tampons?  That question from earlier wasn't answered, I don't think.