Author Topic: Hunting networks  (Read 9421 times)

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
Hunting networks
« on: January 27, 2009, 11:03:54 PM »
Does anyone know good places to 1)find hunting sites and/or 2) people to hunt with.   Emphasis on the first one.  I live in the suburbs of Marietta, GA though if anyone wants a hunting buddy

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Hunting networks
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 01:34:21 AM »
I would think that a local rod and gun club would be a good place to start.

Ebbtide

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2009, 06:21:33 PM »
You can check out www.backcountrysportsmen.com the guys on there are mostly from the SE USA. I know of a couple guys who hunt turkey on the site and live in GA.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:49:13 PM »
thanks, Ebb

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:51:21 PM »
Cohutta wilderness area isn't but about 65-75 miles north of where you are at now. Just come up 575 to Gilmer county, well here's a web site that explains it better than I can.

http://www.wilderness.net/index.cfm?fuse=NWPS&sec=wildView&wname=Cohutta%20Wilderness

Also Rich Mt Wildlife Management Area is up here in Gilmer co. also. Granted, this is all public land, not quite as good as hunting on private land.

If you end up up this way, shoot me an E-mail (I think my E-mail address is listed on my profile) and I will tell you what I know, but I'm not too experienced of a hunter myself, but I'm seriously thinking of getting back into it. A lot of guys up this way though join clubs down in south GA, but that's a little out of my price range.

As far as Cohutta goes though, my wife and I used to ride through there a lot, but I traded my 4X4 truck in shortly after we got married. I just bought an older model 4X4 the other day, but I probably need to give it a little while before I get too far back in the woods with it. I would hate to end up back in there broke down - could be a long walk out. I haven't been through there in a while, but the roads were pretty good. You could probably go all the way through there in a car. I know there are enough dirt roads in there to go from Copperhill TN down through Fannin and Gilmer county and almost over to Eaton GA (over near Dalton and Chatsworth ) without ever hitting pavement.

My dad said something the other day that they might be closing the main road through there in the winter because on folks getting stranded up there, but I don't know. It does seem kinda unlikely that they would leave it closed all winter, especially during hunting season. It might be worth calling the DNR before heading up in the winter just in case. I may ride out there myself in a week or two to see myself.

Here is another link to GA WMA's

http://www.georgiaoutdoors.com/hunting/WMAmaps.asp
« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:19:44 PM by khristopher23 »

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 07:35:43 PM »
Don't know how it works in your area but here in the NW USA you could meet people at the gun range or at the gun shop. Be careful and not give away too much at first. I hunt mostly alone but would recommend that if your are just getting started to first check out the areas that are open to you. Then, spend some time in those areas off season to get familiar, with the area, game movement during what time of day and so on. Don't know if you are able to keep track of your whereabouts in the brush so please don't take this wrong. Spend some time in the area you want to hunt so that when you get excited and on the chase you will still kinda know where you are. I have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on S. and R. missions finding people. Sometimes I take a notebook and camera, sack lunch, a few emergancy supplies and make a full day of it. Good luck and happy hunting.

Offline 19kilo

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 09:46:47 PM »
When I lived in VA I had to take a hunter safety course  to get a licence.  There I knew kids who's parents also hunted and networked that way.  Even though I already had places to hunt on my parents property, I had that much more range.

Now I am going to take the PA hunters safety course and try to do the same.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2009, 01:43:28 PM »
Thanks so much everyone.

Kristopher, I too don't have the money to join any clubs.  I was thinking about heading up to Cohutta this weekend actually, but the wife wants to hike Kennesaw Mtn. that afternoon so, I am probably heading to the Alatoona WMA.  I don't have a truck anyhow so, hopefully I won't need it there.  I'll shoot you an email to see if you are interested.

Rusty, I thought about that, but I usually go to the range on ladies night, so my wife can shoot for free.  Haven't really seen any people there I thought would be hunters.  They are mostly chicks.  I wish I had thought of going to shoot on ladies night back when I was single. LOL!   I am going to take your advice and do some squirrel hunting this weekend just to see if it might be a good place to do some deer hunting later in the year.

Kilo, I took the hunter's safety course over ten years ago, but if I can talk my wife into hunting maybe I'll take it again with her.  I might need a refresher anyway.  ;)

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 02:04:52 PM »
Kristopher,

your email wasn't listed.  You can send me an email if you want to hunt Alatoona this weekend.  We can meet up at the check-in station.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 08:05:31 AM »
Sorry about the E-mail thing, I just went in and changed that on my profile, maybe it worked.

I probably can't do much this weekend. We kinda maxed out our entertainment budget this week by going to a concert at the Gwinnett Arena last night. I never bought a license this year either, and I believe everything is  gonna be wrapping up here in the next couple of weeks, except turkey, so I probably won't get a license till the start of next season. I may check on that sportsman's license, that covers hunting and fishing, and get it as soon as it will cover the 09/10 hunting season.

I've gotta go to Chesapeake VA here in a couple of weeks,probably around March 6th to stay 2 weeks, but I was thinking that when I got back we might could get a couple of the folks in our area to all meet up for dinner somewhere around Canton or Kennesaw. I know I'm turning in to a discussion more for the Region 3 board, but I noticed there are a few people who live in Cobb Co, and a couple in Cherokee, that might be interested in getting together.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2009, 08:38:54 AM »
Khristopher,

sounds good.  If we can find somebody with some land we can do some outdoor shooting and have a pot luck. 

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 09:34:56 AM »
Khristopher, I wish I had gone to Cohutta like you suggested this past weekend.  I didn't see anything at Alatoona WMA.  I doubt I will be going back to that one.  Too bad because it was really close.  I guess maybe it was too close to civilization.  I am going to Middle Georgia this weekend to visit the folks so, I am going to try to find one down there.  The last day of the season is Saturday so, I only have one more chance.  Hopefully, I will have better luck.  Turkey season is coming up too.  I am thinking of giving it a shot ( no pun intended).  Any advice? 

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 05:43:28 PM »
No, sorry, can't help much on turkey hunting at all. I think that is still a little out of my league, especially that whole calling thing. I haven't really done much hunting at all in a while, well since high school really ('94), and most of that was in south east Louisiana. Like I was saying though I really want to get back into it. I think I need to spend this summer practicing my marksmanship.

Sorry I have not posted much in a few days. Work has been pretty busy.

I like the idea of the potluck get together. If we couldn't find any private land, maybe a state park with a picnic area or something.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »
No, sorry, can't help much on turkey hunting at all. I think that is still a little out of my league, especially that whole calling thing. I haven't really done much hunting at all in a while, well since high school really ('94), and most of that was in south east Louisiana. Like I was saying though I really want to get back into it. I think I need to spend this summer practicing my marksmanship.

Sorry I have not posted much in a few days. Work has been pretty busy.

I like the idea of the potluck get together. If we couldn't find any private land, maybe a state park with a picnic area or something.

Yeah, I am not sure about that calling stuff either.  I will have to study up on that first

We could do a picnic/potluck at one of those WMAs that has a gun range.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2009, 10:16:34 AM »
Cohutta actually has a range.  Make we can set something up some time.

Shooting Range: Cohutta WMA (Sumac Creek Shooting Range). NOTE - Sumac Shooting Range will be closed every Tuesday until 12 Noon to allow for area clean-up.

Facilities: 100-yard range
Directions: Hwy 411 North out of Eton. Turn right on Hwy 2. Go to the end of the pavement and pass the Cohutta WMA entrance sign on right. Continue onto the top of the hill and the range road will be on the right.
Range Hours: Sunrise to sunset daily. $5.00 parking fee

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2009, 05:27:21 PM »
That sounds cool. I haven't ever noticed the range up there, but I primarily just followed the same roads, and went the same places most of the time. Maybe I can get up there and check it out before long. This warmer weather means work is probably gonna start slowing down before long, maybe I'll have a little more time.

Oh, by the way, do you know any good gunsmiths down that way?  We are kinda limited on our selection up here, and I need someone who could cut a dovetail for a front sight on a 1911. I would like to get a set of XS big dot sights on my Colt, maybe even get it fully polished, just depending on the price.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2009, 07:41:16 PM »
No, I am actually pretty new to the area.  I'll keep my ears open though.  My father-in-law might know a place.

If you check that range out let me know what you think.  I am really curious.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2009, 10:54:56 PM »
A guy that works at a local gunshop here in Ellijay told me about someone down there in Kennesaw that done an excellent job engraving his 1911. He said he thought he would polish mine. I don't know if he does much gunsmithing or just finish work. I'll try to get his name again the next time I'm in there. I guess the sights are a higher priority than the finish for now. To tell you the truth though, I'm starting to get used to the matte stainless finish.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2009, 11:06:27 PM »
let me know what you think.  I need a gunsmith to look at one of my .22s  It is an old semi-auto and jams every 8th round or so and needs the front peep sight reworked

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 06:20:41 PM »
I don't know about the .22 ??? Does it do it with different brands of ammo ?

I just e-mailed XS sights and asked them if they have anyone they recommend in the Atlanta area for gunsmithing. I'll let you know when they reply. I guess anyone who could cut dovetails on a 1911 slide could probably diagnose a jamming .22.

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 07:04:33 PM »
To be honest I'm not sure.  It has jammed with two different types of ammo.  Both were winchester, the gun itself is an ancient winchester, so I stuck to those.  I recently got a bunch of Remington hollow points, but I haven't ran them through yet.  I wanted to finish off the winchester ammo first.  I am afraid the gun just may be too old.  It was my grandfather's gun and I must admit it only jams when I fire it very fast.  It is so old it doesn't have a magazine in the normal sense.  Instead it has a long tube that runs through the stock and is loaded at the butt plate.  So, it could just be something to do with the configuration of the action. 

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 08:43:35 PM »
You might want to try some Federal or CCI, I hear both are pretty good. Thinking about trying some myself. Right now I usually use Remington (just mainly because my gun is Remington), but I occasionally get a dud or two in a box of those.

Not to change the subject, but you might wanna make a run to Wally World in the next day or two. I don't know about down there, but here in Ellijay, they are changing their knife inventory, and have several good ones on clearance. I just went and picked up a Spyderco Native for $19.00. It was originally priced $42.00. They are selling more than that on Amazon. I believe this is it:

http://www.amazon.com/Spyderco-SPYDERCO-NATIVE-NYLON-PLAINEDGE/dp/B001P46SU6/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&s=generic&qid=1236566214&sr=1-12

There are several different, very similar ones on Amazon, so I'm not sure.

They also had some Gerber multi-tools for $25.00, and some Leatherman folding knives for about the same. They had a $50 Kershaw for $15, but they sold the last one before I got back. They might have the same deal going on down there.

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 08:48:04 PM »

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 09:37:13 PM »
Nice, I will have to check that out.  I used to have a spyderco just like that a while back. They make good blades.  I could definitely use a gerber multi-tool too.