Author Topic: Fitness Preperations  (Read 5600 times)

Offline Hobbes_STi

• Fledgling Prepper
Fitness Preperations
« on: January 30, 2011, 10:50:51 PM »
So I have been giving this idea some thought... How many of us incorporate fitness into our preps, and for those of us that don't where do we start... So I started writing a guide for this.

The importance of personal fitness as a preparation

We all have taken the time to discuss here the importance of making preparation for the the bad times to come, in the realm of food and water storage. We have picked our defenses carefully, planed routes of egress, but how many of us have prepared ourselves from a physical perspective? This in my opinion is really the cornerstone of any prepping, after all our mobility and endurance is seldom tested in the confines of modern society. Now I realize that not all people are at the same starting level of fitness,    starting level of health, or other factors. That being said, let us look at what we can do to take each member of our family to their optimal level.
   This will not, unfortunately cover every possible unique situation, there after all too many variables. This is intended rather as a primer, a place to start out and for each person to progress as their situation, and abilities dictate. The reasoning behind my motivation for this part of preparations, is that it seems to be the most under covered and a fundamental for survival. This is one of the preparations that will cross all situations.
   This covers more then just the mobility effects of being in better shape, but the host of other benefits for the body as a whole. The immune system will work better, you will be more alert and focused. The release of endorphins from this can stave off depression and will help with the manual workload that will be if things get really bad.
   So where to begin, start with taking a look at your current level of activity, If you run marathons as a hobby, congratulations, not only are you in superior shape but a bit crazy too. However if you sit and play video games all day long your thumbs are in shape, but maybe not much else. So lets start here with the people that are the least active.

Get moving. This is the start, even just getting out and walking will improve your base fitness.
Skip the elevator. This goes with point number one.
Skip the drive through. Fitness is more then just being active, its a way of life, plus when the end comes Burger King will be out of order.
Push yourself. Not too hard, but you want to make progress, if you start at only walking a few blocks, try to add to that each week.

Now this is just the beginning, but you have to start somewhere, and you have to push even just a little to make some progress. Talk to your doctor of course before you begin, just to be safe, they will probably be overjoyed in your interest in this kind of self improvement, and can direct you how to begin.
   ?

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
Re: Fitness Preperations
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 05:29:00 AM »
I agree that fitness is an important prep. I let it go to easily these days. For exercise, I prefer body weight exercises. They teach you to use your body as a single unit while improving your fitness. Unfortunately, running is out of the question for me at this point. I'm also a big believer in work strong being better than weight strong. Anything that we can do repeated throughout the day is an exercise that we own. We should focus on our ability to do work throughout the day. In a SHTF situation, the ability to handle prolonged periods of physical work could mean the diference between making it or not.

Pat

Offline mckeyes

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 07:15:45 AM »
Fitness is something that I have been focusing on more recently. I've always been trying to find something that can be done in the home without any special equipment in a relatively short period of time.
Just last week I stumbled across the Muller My System which was popular in Europe in the early 20th century. It's basically a 15 minute a day routine that focuses on body movement and breathing.

The first section is Health vs Illness. Just remember the time frame when this was published (1904) when you're reading it.

Offline Matt.T

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »
I totally agree that physical fitness is as important to prepping as storing and stocking food, water and other essentials.

I think that the best, and easiet, method is to use body-weight exercises, and simple cardio.

Here is a plan ANYONE can perform, and can be performed ANYWHERE. Start easy to avoid getting burned out; you know what your body is capable of. And set realistic, obtainable goals, like increasing the number of repetitions by one every two weeks. If you stick with it, I promise that you'll see improvement.

(Alternate days between body-weight exercises and simple cardio.

Body-Weight Exercises:
- Push-ups (can be done on knees - no one's watching)
- Sit-ups
- Pull-ups or pull-downs with an exercise band
- Chair squats
- Calf-raises
- Curls (using a bottle/jug of water)
- Box step-ups
- Side-to-side jumps ("ski-jumpers")
- Chair dips

Simple Cardio:(start at 20 minutes minimum and build-up your time)
- Walking or light jog
- Hiking
- Bicycling
- Swimming
- Anything that provides constant movement - do what you enjoy!

For more advanced work-outs try using a sandbag, a log or large rocks for added weight. Be creative and make the work-out work for you.

Offline "Top" W. Kone

• Survivor
  • Team NCOIC for an OC/T BN the USAR
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 04:06:24 PM »
I like to "fit" my physical activity into my day. When I am watching TV at each commercial break I get down and do 15 sit-ups. Like suggested I take the stairs, and park in the very back of the parking lot just to make me walk further.
At work I’ve gotten a rep for doing 25 push ups each time we leave the hospital (I’m an EMT in Cleveland) and when we post I get out and walk around the parking lot (while listening to Jack on my iPod).
What is hard is making sure I don’t fall into the “post and eat” pattern most of the other guys are in, especially in the winter.

Brutus

annestacey

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 07:44:36 AM »
I really like my mini trampoline from Walmart.  The legs screw on and off easily for storage and it's good for running in place without putting any pressure on my knee.   They're cheap too... only about $35.

Offline Nexquietus

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 09:27:45 PM »
Craigslist has treadmills all day for way cheaper than you will find elsewhere.  We just bought a used Nordictrack with 50 hours on it. originally an $1100 machine for $125.  Yeah I know, you need to put aside the time to use it, but at worst we can easily sell it again...

jim

Offline OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 07:46:18 AM »
Check out this vid of Erwan Le Corre.  He emphasizes natural movement and eating paleolithic foods (foods our ancestors would have had access to). I just recently built an outdoor gym based on his principles and have been having great workouts which are productive as well as fun. It's like being 8 again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGF-ErsJiI

nkawtg

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 04:25:07 PM »
I definitly need to do something about my fitness level.
I'm overweight and out of shape, but I want to focus on cardio/endurance excercises, not so much weight training.
I'm 57 and I get tired much too quickly.
Time to put a stop to that.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2011, 05:27:01 PM »
Check out this vid of Erwan Le Corre.  He emphasizes natural movement and eating paleolithic foods (foods our ancestors would have had access to). I just recently built an outdoor gym based on his principles and have been having great workouts which are productive as well as fun. It's like being 8 again!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKGF-ErsJiI

This looks like a lot of fun. I just don't want to spend the money to go to one of their courses. Could you tell us more about your experiences and about the outdoor gym that you built? Maybe start a new topic about it?

Offline OkieBoy

• Prepper
    • J. Luker Acupuncture
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 10:22:54 AM »
Hey Mike,
I haven't taken any classes from him, just watched the vids several times and read every article I could find. It's pretty easy to piece together a workout plan from those alone. Le Corre is writing a book which is due out within a year.

I'll get some pics up soon. But the gym centers around a 6 inch log which I lashed between two trees at 8 feet or so. Then I lashed another log between two other trees (around 2 feet above the ground) for balance exercises, hung a punching bag and cut several logs for various exercies. Last weekend I attached a large rope between to trees at a 45 degree, which I crawl up like a sloth.  :)

In addition, I do a lot of hill sprints (barefoot) and tons of kettlebell (53 lb) work. After being a gym rat for 18 years, I cancelled my gym membership (saving $$) and just went back to playing. It's way more fun, you develop real world strength, plus you get the benefit of sunshine and fresh air....

annestacey

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 01:48:08 PM »
OkieBoy that is fantastic!  I'm sure that activity beats a gym anyday.  Just had to add my 2 cents.  :)