Author Topic: Evade and escape from farm dogs! How? Tips needed.  (Read 4694 times)

Offline sippinkoolaid

• Prepper
Evade and escape from farm dogs! How? Tips needed.
« on: January 31, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
From past experience I have found it very easy in a rural environment to evade humans. Well.......... Those damn farm dogs! I haven't been attacked yet but they really seem to notice you there no matter how stealthy you think you are. I spend a lot of time in the summer hiking along riverbanks and those yappy bastards always seem to give you away! It's all fun and games now but in a shtf scenario those critters may make your life a living/non-living hell. I am not a dog owner so maybe I'm missing something simple. Please let me know if you have any ideas. I don't want to hear about killing or attacking the dog but just avoiding them noticing you.

Stay safe.

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
Re: Evade and escape from farm dogs! How? Tips needed.
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:46:41 AM »
Dogs can smell 100-500x better than humans and hear about 20x. They are always alert. Hearding and hunting breeds are constantly comparing this second to the last with the attention span of an engineer studying fro finals on Ritalin. So you have to be upwind and friggin quiet. I train dogs for a living, and one of my favorite survival busters when jawing about SHTF with the guys is "Unless they use dogs". If you're just passing through I don't see a problem. The only time I think you'd run into a problem with the dog/human team is if you're doing something you shouldn't, like looting. Most dogs just want you off the property.

Offline shawn

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:44:30 AM »
I agree with above.

But if you are actually being tracked by a good dog and handler the only way is shot the dog or handler. I have worked with police dog teams in a military context and this is what we learned/told through trial and error. We tried a lot of stuff to fool the dogs and none of it worked, water crosings, pepper, pepper spray, CS gas, zig zaging and tons others.

YMMV

Shawn

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:08:22 AM »
I have a hound mix.
I watch him sleeping in the back yard, on his back, feet in the air, snoring.
When it looks like he's dead to the world he can snap awake at a passing scent and is 100% alert, on his feet and on patrol.
My little Spitz can be sleeping right next to him and not have a clue what he's upset about.
The hound almost thinks with his nose, while the Spitz is that way with his ears. The Spitz's ears are like radar dishes, constantly flexing and turning.
I can be in the garage with the Spitz in the back yard asleep and if I whisper the word "squirrel" he is on his feet and charging across the yard.

Thousands of years of selective breeding have amazing results.

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 11:47:41 AM »
Geese and Guinea hens are an entirely other story.

Offline 18C Troll

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 04:25:55 PM »
I have worked with our dog teams, they are amazing.  You arent going to be able to outwit them, your only chance is to outrun the handler, The dogs can go for-damn-near-ever.  Or go on terrian that they cannot and is not easliy bypassed. Vertical climbs and descents can slow them down but if they can walk around it, its pointless.

Offline sippinkoolaid

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:50:58 PM »
I have worked with our dog teams, they are amazing.  You arent going to be able to outwit them, your only chance is to outrun the handler, The dogs can go for-damn-near-ever.  Or go on terrian that they cannot and is not easliy bypassed. Vertical climbs and descents can slow them down but if they can walk around it, its pointless.
Lol I better go to squirrel school and learn to climb. :P

Offline 18C Troll

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:46:41 PM »
Well, as long as you dont climbs trees.  Thats where they want you to go, anyone whos been racoon hunting know this.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 04:04:04 PM »
One of the things i can think of to mask your smell from dogs is Chlorine either bleach or pool chlorine liquid or pool shock. If you lay a gallon of pool shock, spread some powder or make a spray bottle of it. you'll overload the dogs sniffer in a sec of course everyone else  will smell it too. pool shock is very strong and not a toy but in a shtf i'd use powered pool shock to mask my scent if I had to. It would smell but most of it would be at ground level right where you want it

Offline Thanson_V

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 04:03:14 AM »
A good handler will just walk the area around the pool shock, then pick up your trail a few yards away. Dogs won't automatically inhale the stuff as they'll smell it hectares away. Good for slowing down the dogs. Nope, unless you kill the dogs, or injure the handler you're getting tracked.

As for outrunning the handler. The handler has the luxury of hanging back from the dogs and cutting you off. Most cross country treks are not in a straight line. The dogs bark and the handler can hear them and guestimate which direction you're heading. If he knows the terrain then he can use that against you as well. Best thing to carry is a claymore in my opinion.

Offline Sporadic_E

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 06:43:42 AM »
There was a recent episode of Mythbusters on tracking dogs. You might want to look that on e up.