Author Topic: Snow Storm In Heels!  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Wimary

• Prepper
    • The Wisconsin Times
Snow Storm In Heels!
« on: February 02, 2011, 05:58:46 AM »
Hi Everyone,
Just had to share this with you...I was suppose to take a flight from Minneapolis to Lansing, Michigan last night. I packed my carry on bag with everything I could think of knowing I would have to drive from the airport in Lansing to my hotel, only 3 miles but you never know.  Long story short the flight was cancelled due to weather but what I saw at the airport amazed me.  Of course people were flipping out because their flights were getting cancelled.  Obviously their flights were being cancelled due to the huge snow and ice storm.  As I was waiting to find out what was going on with my flight I decided to make some observations.  There were a ton of people waiting for a flight to Chicago, I decided to check out the footwear on the people going to Chicago where 12 inches of snow is already on the ground.  Out of 16 women 11 of them had on heels, not heel boots, just heels.  Granted Chicago may have been just a stopover for them but what if you get stuck there for a few days?  There was one older lady with snow boots on though, kudos to her.  As far as the rest I hope they had snow boots in their bags!
Mary

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Snow Storm In Heels!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »
There was a story a few weeks ago about people being snowed in at JFK in New York. Many were stranded on trains when they closed down public transportation. The story focused on a couple from New York returning from the Bahamas if I recall correctly. They were pretty much dressed for the tropics and ended up on one of the trains, stuck overnight, cold and wet when they couldn't get their car out of the parking lot at the airport. They could have at least packed cold weather clothing in the car.

I can understand that with all of the fees that airlines charge for baggage now that it can be tough to think about packing clothing appropriate to the place where a person is traveling, but it's not something to skimp on. If a person were to wear heavier clothing to the airport they could carry a plastic bag in which to place removed layers after getting on board the plane.

I like the saying, "Dress to Survive, Not to Arrive."

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »
I have never understood the point of traveling in heels anyway. Chances are you're going to your hotel when you arrive, not directly into meetings or something. Comfortable flats are so much smarter, no matter what the weather. As for dressing appropriately for your departure and your arrival destination, well, that would require a brain and the ability to think.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 12:28:30 PM »
Ok, I know I'm a guy, and I generally work in an academic atmosphere, but. . .

I, too, fail to understand the whole requirement for heels, especially when travelling or for business.  Yes, I understand they're attractive (trust me, my ears perk up when I hear the "click-click-click" of stilettos), and yes there are very, very few things more attractive than a finely-shaped feminine calf augmented by high heels.

But. . .travelling?  Heck, I see more women around here on their lunch breaks walking in full business attire and running shoes than you can shake a stick at.  Even running or trail shoes would be more comfortable for travel than  heels.

While I was a part of the "upper" business world where you did go directly from the plane directly into a meeting, sometimes even the meeting rooms at the airport or at one of the adjacent hotels. . .but how much space does a pair of heels take up in a bag?  Even more confusing is the strict adherence to the belief that flats are inappropriate for business. Sure, a skirtsuit is attractive, but are we really so vane as to automatically dismiss a pair of slacks?

Then again, I'm older and (arguably) wiser than I once was.  I'd rather have a competent person working for me than one who is more worried about their outward appearance

I think a lot of this is the compartmentalization of one's life and a general unwillingness (conscious or otherwise) to foster adaptability.  Why waste that tiny bit of time and effort it takes to multi-task.

The Professor

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 12:51:32 PM »
I am under the firm belief that high heels are one of the three evils created by the devil to keep women in bondage.  And since I am all about offending the devil at every opportunity, I will not touch the silly things.

oh, in case you are wondering, the other two: nylons and bras ;)

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 10:24:21 PM »
+1 Morning Sunshine! My sentiments, exactly.  All three are tools of the Devil to punish us. ;D

Offline Sarey

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2011, 07:30:22 PM »
[

oh, in case you are wondering, the other two: nylons and bras ;)
[/quote]

Oh how I wish I could  completely forgo wearing the demons evil Bra....