Author Topic: radiation in water from fluoride ?  (Read 5203 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
radiation in water from fluoride ?
« on: November 15, 2010, 06:28:45 AM »
Alex Jones points to news stories that radiation was found in texas water supplies, he says that when fluoride is added (which is sourced from industrial waste) other things get added as well.

I don't suppose berkey filters can filter uranium/plutonium/radon ?

I live in Mass, I have been taking water from my mothers house in the suburbs (town water) putting it in a 6 gallon plastic water carrier, bring it to my condo and filter it with my berkey filter with the fluoride filters ..

given these unknowns on what else might be in the water (how can I figure out more ?), would I be better off using water from mountain streams in Maine and filtering that or what contaminants might be in there from rain etc ?

found this article:
http://www.kens5.com/home/How-safe-is-your--water--107033418.html
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 06:46:19 AM by theberkeyguy »

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: radiation in water from fluoride ?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2010, 06:46:29 AM »
Alex Jones points to news stories that radiation was found in texas water supplies, he says that when fluoride is added (which is sourced from industrial waste) other things get added as well.

I don't suppose berkey filters can filter uranium/plutonium/radon ?

I live in Mass, I have been taking water from my mothers house in the suburbs (town water) putting it in a 6 gallon plastic water carrier, bring it to my condo and filter it with my berkey filter with the fluoride filters ..

given these unknowns on what else might be in the water (how can I figure out more ?), would I be better off using water from mountain streams in Maine and filtering that or what contaminants might be in there from rain etc ?

found this article:
http://www.kens5.com/home/How-safe-is-your--water--107033418.html

Thanks for your question, currently no testing has been done for uranium/plutonium, but testing has been done for radon 222.  It depends on the situation and what is known to have happened, as most water sources should not have those contaminants.  If the water source is known to have those contaminants except radon 222, other sources of water will need to be found.

theberkeyguy

Offline Bubafat

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 03:44:50 PM »
I'm sorry, but where are you getting the claim that the radiation is coming from the added fluoride?  The link you provided says that the radiation is coming from the WELL ITSELF, not from any added fluoride.

Also, assuming the Berkey's fluoride removal units are activated alumina (which I suspect), it has been shown that at neutral to slightly acidic pH, activated alumina removes up to 90% of uranium.  Activated carbon also removes quite a bit, but the breakthrough and capacity is limited.http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/uranium290605.pdf

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 11:25:47 PM »
I'm sorry, but where are you getting the claim that the radiation is coming from the added fluoride?  The link you provided says that the radiation is coming from the WELL ITSELF, not from any added fluoride.

Also, assuming the Berkey's fluoride removal units are activated alumina (which I suspect), it has been shown that at neutral to slightly acidic pH, activated alumina removes up to 90% of uranium.  Activated carbon also removes quite a bit, but the breakthrough and capacity is limited.http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/chemicals/uranium290605.pdf

I appreciate this info, as alumina is in the Fluoride filters.

theberkeyguy

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2011, 06:27:13 AM »
Alot of loose words in that report.

The contamination of wells with alpha emitters is pretty common anywhere there is rock under the soil (which is everywhere pretty much).  Uranium doesn't get into the wells, the decay products of uranium do.  Radon is one of these decay products.  It is a gas, so it seeps out of the rocks and ends up disolved in the ground water.  It also tends to stick to crud particles, especially in a reducing environment.  The ground water stays pretty reducing and under pressure it tends to hold the gas pretty well in solution.  If you are in a town with water towers, reservoirs, etc. most of this radon naturally gasses out of the water, but if you have a well you pump it and immediately consume it.  This radon stuck to particles that collect on tobaco leaves is one of, if not the, main source of alpha contamination in cigarettes.  This alpha gets sucked into your lungs where it does alot of damage.

There should not be any plutonium contamination in your water.  It has a relativley short half life (shorter than the age of the earth by a couple of factors of 10) so there is no naturally occuring plutonium.  The only plutonium loose in the environment is from atmospheric nuclear weapons detonations back in the 50's and 60's, and a little from weapons production plants.  Plutonium is incredibly expensive to make and very toxic so it is kept well contained.

Fluoride is almost 100% F-19 which is not radioactive.  Fluoride for drinking water is usually a sodium or silicate compound and often is a byproduct of fertilizer production, so fluoride addition to water may add some radioactive contamination (but it's not from the fluoride), but it would appear to me to be alot less than just the salt on your french fries!  Sodium has a pretty good radioactive isolope abundance naturally, and phosphate fertilizers also have alot of "crap" in them.

I personally don't agree with the linear no threshold theory that any radiation is bad for you.  But, I don't have any problem with the idea that getting rid of it is a good thing, that is one reason I have a water filter!  Plus, by law I have to keep everything as low as reasonably achievable.  The theory says (sort of) if you get a little radiation over a long period of time it is just as bad as getting alot of radiation all at once.  I know alot of people have gotten 300 rem over their lives with no visible effects, but I don't know of one of them that would want to get that much all at once.  300 rem is the point where about 50% of the people are expected to die if they don't get medical care (the LD50/30 for latent lethality due to radiation effects).  What the theory really did was look at bad effects and draw a line back to zero and say if you have half as much dose as this bad effect, then you will be half as sick, sort of like half pregnant?