Author Topic: successful hunting photos thread  (Read 81226 times)

Offline radtke

• Herald of the Goatpocalypse
  • Survivor
    • the lost skills podcast
successful hunting photos thread
« on: February 07, 2011, 12:45:59 AM »
i thought it would be nice to have a place to display everyones hunting successes so post your photos if you wish

me and my daughter peyton and the six pointer i shot during wisconsin deer hunting season

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: successful hunting photos thread
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 01:22:33 AM »
Nice looking buck! It's a good thing you had your pardner there to bring him down for you. She looks like a first class helper.  ;)

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 10:35:10 PM »

This was my first successful big game hunt, despite being closer to 40 than many 12 year old's harvesting their first deer. The photo does not do justice for the learning experience and special day it was for me. I had taken my Hunter's Education 3 years ago and after moving to Wyoming I was able to fulfill a long time dream and goal after becoming proficient with my rifles and learning everything I have in the past few years.

This day was the first day I was able to hunt with my wife and where I was free to go wherever I wanted to go. Previously, I was hunting with my father-in-law who was heavily experienced hunter, but wanted us to follow a strict path on where he wanted to go and an insistence in using loud and gasoline fuming ATV's.

This day was glorious as my wife and I took to our packs and hiked in fresh snow for over a mile and enjoyed the fresh air and freedom to go where we wanted. I hugged the treeline as I entered a meadow and by fortune was able to catch my deer by surprise. I was offered even more good luck in the presentation of a broad side shot at around 200 yards with my .243 Winchester rifle (set up with a Harris bi-pod).

I took the shot and the deer instantly fell to the ground with my 100 grain soft point. As I walked the long climb I experienced the anxiety of whether I had missed, or if I simply wounded my deer. However, the relief in seeing the animal down was great. I said a prayer out loud in thanks to God for the deer and respecting its spirit to feed our family.

Skinning and gutting is a humbling experience but necessary. To my surprise my wife was more interested in this process than disgusted. :)

The deer was absolutely beautiful and it was extremely heavy to pack out. I am not in great shape and need rest in the 9K+ elevation of the Bridger-Teton Forest.

The deer meat was processed and it was delicious in our chili which fed the family the other day.

My next tag to fill is Elk which has proved elusive for me so far but I will continue this week.

Offline radtke

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 01:14:41 AM »
nice deer , you never forget your first successful hunt and its neat you got to share it with your wife . good luck on the elk hunt!!  :)

jeff

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 01:52:38 PM »
Nice scores!  You guys are helping fuel my excitement for my upcoming Elk hunt in mid November.

Radtke I think your little helper is adorable.  Hopefully she'll love to hunt too!

And Sage I'm glad you got to hunt with your wife.  I love hunting with my hubby - we have a great time together!

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 11:41:53 AM »
Thanks for the kind words.

I have a doe, cow, and bull tag left.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 12:03:10 PM »
I have not have a successful hunt, yet...  but I wanted to tag this thread, I am heading up Friday to see if I can take a SoCal muley.  I figure with successful thoughts, comes success. ;D

endurance

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 01:37:34 PM »
I have one doe and one cow tag for second season in Summit County.  I've never not seen one or the other in the area where I hunt; if there's snow on the ground the elk push the deer out of the area.  Pray for snow. ;)  Daddy needs a full freezer!

If I get nothing, it's back up to Wyoming for one last shot at antelope doe.  The last thing on my mind is freezing my tuckus off in the wind and cold of November in Wyoming trying to get maybe 50 pounds of meat in the freezer (if I bagged two doe).

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2011, 08:02:50 PM »
Opening week of 2009 was certainly one to remember (mine is on the far right).  Certainly hoping this year provides a nice bounty as well.  Good luck all.

endurance

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2011, 08:40:35 PM »
Opening week of 2009 was certainly one to remember (mine is on the far right). 
Photographer's right or deer's right? ;D

So you took advantage of the Pizza Hut deal?  Regular price, four buck, four bucks, four bucks....

Offline radtke

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 11:40:51 AM »
nice pics guys ,some nice deer in there

Offline Rapid River

• Prepper
6x6 Bull elk 10.17.11
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 09:15:40 PM »

This is the bull I shot this year.  He was going crazy bugling coming up out of the draw.  He came out in the opening about 150 yards stopped and then I took the shot.  Took two days to pack him up out of there.

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 02:11:11 PM »
I have not have a successful hunt, yet...  but I wanted to tag this thread, I am heading up Friday to see if I can take a SoCal muley.  I figure with successful thoughts, comes success. ;D

Sending good wishes your way!  Happy hunting!

And hd45hunt & wicks - nice animals!

endurance

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »
From today:

Season started at sunrise this morning (probably around 7am), we had both animals back at the truck by 9:30am.  My best opening day luck ever!  Chad shot his first, I was about to go help him get his animal when the four animals he spooked with his shot came wandering right up to me (one got within 35' before she spooked).  Easy shot, about 50 yards (that might be generous ;D). 

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »
Endurance - Nice job!!!!

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 05:04:16 PM »
Very nice pictures everyone on your harvest. I can't wait to make my deer jerkey. Had some venison stew for lunch today.

I'm heading out after the snow coming Monday in search of elk, it's been too warm the past few days to go out this weekend so I did not venture out.

Hopefully, the snow and freezing temps drive my elk down.

endurance

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2011, 07:54:17 AM »
Hopefully, the snow and freezing temps drive my elk down.
My thoughts exactly.  Fingers crossed for a good dumping.  I still have a cow elk tag to fill.

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 08:43:13 AM »
Well... unfortunately I do not have any pics to share, didn't even seen one deer.  Heard four shots on Saturday, not a one on Sunday.  Saw lots of sign, will have to head back up this weekend.  Wish me luck!

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »
Sorry no picture but this morning I shot a doe that field dressed out at 72 lbs.
Already shinned, quartered and sitting in the cooler waiting for further processing

Ranger Dave

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
Well... unfortunately I do not have any pics to share, didn't even seen one deer.  Heard four shots on Saturday, not a one on Sunday.  Saw lots of sign, will have to head back up this weekend.  Wish me luck!

I hate it when that happens!  Fingers crossed for you for another chance this weekend.

Sorry no picture but this morning I shot a doe that field dressed out at 72 lbs.
Already shinned, quartered and sitting in the cooler waiting for further processing

Ranger Dave

Bad Ranger Dave! Bad!  We need photos.  It fuels my drive to go out and hunt elk even though I've been sick.  SO next time don't forget the camera!

Happy eating!

Offline radtke

• Survivor
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2011, 12:26:10 PM »
only 5 days till WI rifle season .hopefully i will have a new photo to put up on here . :excited:

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2011, 02:26:40 PM »
Season opens for me on Wednesday - wish an elk my way AND then I'll have something to post!

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2011, 03:20:30 PM »
Season opens for me on Wednesday - wish an elk my way AND then I'll have something to post!

Wishin' hard

Get that sucker!

Offline hd45hunt

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2011, 05:35:37 PM »

Wishin an Elk your way!  ;)

Offline TwoBluesMama

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2011, 06:03:10 PM »
Thanks Guys!  I hope I have the opportunity to get one this year.  My health has taken a rapid decline (stupid Lupus!) so I'm not sure how many more chances I'll get at this. 

Anyway I'll let you all know - thanks for the wishes.

endurance

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2011, 06:33:51 PM »
Thanks Guys!  I hope I have the opportunity to get one this year.  My health has taken a rapid decline (stupid Lupus!) so I'm not sure how many more chances I'll get at this. 

Anyway I'll let you all know - thanks for the wishes.
So sorry to hear that.  Very best of luck to you on all fronts.

My elk season ended with one last half-hearted attempt.  Sure is harder to put up with snow and sub-freezing temperatures once you already have meat in the freezer from deer season.  The good part was I got to introduce a newbie from TSP to hunting.  It's always good to meet new folks from the forum and to get someone out there in the hunting environment for the first time.

Offline radtke

• Survivor
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2011, 02:45:07 AM »
wishin a elk your way TwoBluesMama !! good luck!!! ;D

Offline 5.56

• Prepper
  • Born 150 years too late...
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2011, 01:11:22 PM »
A few pictures from various opening days. I took the elk on the opening day of bow season this year at my sweet spot in SW Washington. The pheasant was my new pup's (Dexter, 10 mo old) first bird that he pointed, flushed and retrieved himself.

It's been a good season.

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2011, 07:37:36 PM »
Sorry, No pictures but I shot a 3 point buck that field dressed out at 75lbs. Now just need need to fill two doe tags.

Offline Ranger Dave

• Survivor
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2011, 01:12:30 PM »
Well, I filled my 2 doe tags. I have a total of 4 deer in the freezer and 12 days before I have to go to work. What to do? Watch out squirels.
Ranger Dave