Author Topic: successful hunting photos thread  (Read 13290 times)

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: successful hunting photos thread
« Reply #90 on: November 27, 2012, 11:34:08 PM »
DH and I don't hunt anymore, but the day may come, so we've just trained the deer to hang around the shooting benches.  ::)

That is awesome!! LOL

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #91 on: November 28, 2012, 06:41:58 PM »
I plan on taking the hunter safety course even though I am exempt in my state. My weakness is not firearms and firearms safety, I am a NRA Instructor. I am week on where to hunt, how to track, how to process the animal and such.

@ cbowseriii

I've been thinking more about your situation and truly want to be able to help you.  I personally would have a hard time living an enjoyable life without hunting and hate the thought of someone like you not being able to enjoy that too, if that's what you want. . . .  And for the record, I don't define my enjoyment in hunting by successfully harvesting my animal.  There is so much more to it than that.

I still think a Hunters Safety Course is a good resource to find a community to build relationships in hunting.  And even though it is called a "Hunters Safety Course" doesn't mean they will only teach you safety.  Given that it is hosted by the right instructor, they will teach you tips on how to track, how to identify tracks and scat, how to field dress an animal, how to use your firearm or bow, how to use optics, be an ethical hunter, and so on.

Other resources in finding a hunting community could include attending annual association banquets such as Ducks Unlimited, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, and many others.  These banquets are a lot of fun (I have won rifles on several occasions with a $20 raffle ticket) and anyone can go by simply paying a 1 year subscription to the association and buying a place at a table.  Don't wait though, tables fill up fast.  Your local gunshops that support hunting will often sponsor these events and will be able to get you places and dates.  You can also become a volunteer within these organizations which will offer a valuable resource to the organization while providing you an opportunity to meet people and actually go out in to the field and learn where the animals are.  The average citizen has no idea how much time and money these organizations put in to a local area to help preserve wildlife, the environment, youth support, etc. . . .  The banquets usually run from Feb-Apr in any given state. 

On your side of the country it's a little harder to find public land to hunt on versus the vast amount of public land we have on the west side, so I suggest you join a hunt club.  This will give you both a place to hunt and build yourself a community in which to learn from.  If you do know of public land to hunt in your state, you can use your local State Fish & Wildlife to learn  more about a given area to hunt.  For me, these guys have proven very helpful in lending information on where the high numbers of animals have been seen or not seen on any given year (which does change from time to time).  Your local LEO (Game Warden) can also be helpful.

Another resource for game processing are the huge amounts of video's that can be found on YouTube.  But nothing is better than just getting your hands dirty and learning from your own mistakes.

I hope this helps, good luck.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 07:14:13 PM by nelson96 »
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #92 on: November 28, 2012, 07:55:56 PM »
I plan on taking the hunter safety course even though I am exempt in my state. My weakness is not firearms and firearms safety, I am a NRA Instructor. I am week on where to hunt, how to track, how to process the animal and such.

Re: Hunter Safety

The hunter safety course emphasizes on what is an ethical shot, this is absolutely important and why taking the course is the law and so vital for hunters. I returned from my elk hunting trip this year with my father-in-law and he is a retired law enforcement of over 40 years. He was grandfathered in and did not need to obtain the Hunter Safety Course from his State.

He was also a a firearms range instructor for his police department. All that being stated, he made in what was my opinion unethical shots during our trip.  I have the utmost respect for him as a military veteran, but he was never taught growing up and harvesting deer what they teach you in hunter safety course.

The Hunter Safety Course offers many useful information on hunting laws that are beneficial, and advice on hunting, ethical shots, and hand outs on proper game handling and processing.

Re: Areas to Hunt

My best advice is to study the hunting area maps and use your summer and spring to scout the areas nearby to familiarize yourself what the areas are. This can be great fun and you can practice looking at bedding areas, tracks, etc (this is what I did).

I suspect this may take a few years of familiarizing yourself with your areas and seeing game with your eyes during off-season and correlating where they are on the designated Hunting area.

I have a topo maps, and a GPS/SD card telling me all the public land, state land, and private land info.

I also rely in the harvest reports now because they are absolutely vital for my future hunting from now on.  I am empty handed this year because I ignored the harvest reports success rates. They matter.

I also only been in Wyoming for just a few years and my best resources have been stopping at my nearby fish and game office and asking the wardens and staff for help on area questions and advice (like please tell me where the elk are, LOL). I had a warden tell us if the elk had moved down yet, and they even marked a map for me the elk's migratory routes. That helped out big time.

Don't be alarmed if other hunters don't share their locations where they hunt, it's not being unfriendly, this is like an unwritten rule to many like a closely guarded fishing hole. Don't get me wrong hunters are friendly with each other and often when in the same public land areas help each other out with info.

Believe it or not I watched videos on processing game animals. After landing my first deer last year I feel very comfortable doing it again.
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions."-James Madison

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #93 on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:17 PM »
Don't be alarmed if other hunters don't share their locations where they hunt, it's not being unfriendly, this is like an unwritten rule to many like a closely guarded fishing hole.

I don't share my grouse, deer, morel, chanterelle or elderberry patches either..  ;)

Cedar

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #94 on: November 28, 2012, 09:00:10 PM »
So true Cedar.

Your photos have inspired my wife to take a Master Gardner class locally here in Wyoming.

I need to get blue grouse in the next two days.
"If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions."-James Madison

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #95 on: December 04, 2012, 10:32:52 PM »
Here is the result of my Kansas deer hunt this year. I used my M1 Garand this year. Processing the meat now, but having to hurry some due to the unseasonably warm weather right now.
It will mostly be bacon wrapped roasts, steaks, steak, steaks, and then a few more steaks. Scraps will be turned into jerky or burger. MMmmmmm.

He did have some previous damage to his front leg. Not sure if another hunter grazed him, or he got hit buy another buck in a fight.
Sole employee of Plum Creek Leather Works
Life member SASS
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/

Offline radtke

• Herald of the Goatpocalypse
  • Survivor
    • the lost skills podcast
« Reply #96 on: December 05, 2012, 04:28:25 AM »
i got skunked  this year sorry no photos  :'(
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit ("He Who Is not Prepared Today Will Be Less So Tomorrow")
 visit my podcast , the lost skills podcast @
http://lostskillspodcast.com  where we believe if the women dont find you handsome they should at least find you handy...

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #97 on: December 05, 2012, 05:40:05 PM »
elderberry patches either..

Elderberry patches? . . .  Those dang things grow like weeds on the coast.  Just take a drive and you'll find them.  Great way to harvest you tons of pigeon breasts too.
“There are few things more pathetic than those who have lost their curiosity and sense of adventure, and who no longer care to learn.”
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

One hundred thousand generations of people lived and ate as hunter-gatherers, and only two generations have grown up on highly processed fast foods. . .  It's not too late

Offline gundog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • It's the dog....not the gun.
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2012, 08:04:04 PM »
i got skunked  this year sorry no photos  :'(

I actually didn't shoot a deer this year.....I'm not sure how many years since that has happened....LOL  I'm kinda glad. I have enough venison in the freezer that needs to get eaten up I'll have a chance to do it. My wife is not a fan so it takes me a while to eat a deer or two by myself.
Anticipate the difficult by managing the easy.
Lao Tzu

Offline SheepdogSurvival

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2012, 09:29:13 PM »

One .308 175OTM round, two hogs killed. I hit the brown one on the move and when I came around to look for the blood trail I found the black one. The round went through the vitals on the brown one and spined the black one!
"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
- SAMUEL ADAMS

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2012, 09:35:40 PM »
Alright! Good to see someone getting some hogs.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2012, 09:37:34 PM »
One .308 175OTM round, two hogs killed. I hit the brown one on the move and when I came around to look for the blood trail I found the black one. The round went through the vitals on the brown one and spined the black one!

Nice shoot'n.  I did that recently with a couple of nutria, but doing that on a couple of hogs is much more impressive.

Nice plate face, now I don't feel so lonely.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2012, 10:06:45 PM »
Nice twofer!!!
Sole employee of Plum Creek Leather Works
Life member SASS
http://www.freewebs.com/daltonmasterson/

Offline radtke

• Herald of the Goatpocalypse
  • Survivor
    • the lost skills podcast
« Reply #103 on: December 09, 2012, 02:36:55 AM »
I actually didn't shoot a deer this year.....I'm not sure how many years since that has happened....LOL  I'm kinda glad. I have enough venison in the freezer that needs to get eaten up I'll have a chance to do it. My wife is not a fan so it takes me a while to eat a deer or two by myself.

that is kinda where im at 2 years ago i had 2 deer made into summer sausage ,breakfast sausage,and hot dogs , so i had all kinds of venison too .
but if i would have seen a big one he would have been taking a dirtnap.
Qui non est hodie cras minus aptus erit ("He Who Is not Prepared Today Will Be Less So Tomorrow")
 visit my podcast , the lost skills podcast @
http://lostskillspodcast.com  where we believe if the women dont find you handsome they should at least find you handy...

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #104 on: December 09, 2012, 11:18:50 AM »
Thanksgiving weekend South Texas. Used a Win. .308 approx. 75 yds. Blew out both shoulders :/ Oh well, what was ruined is now dog food, less we have to buy.

BJ

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2012, 06:35:31 PM »
Finally success during the 2nd IL firearms season! First one I got skunked!!!

Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2012, 07:03:14 PM »
Finally success during the 2nd IL firearms season! First one I got skunked!!!

Nice pack (buck too) . . .  It looks like an Eberlestock.  I've got their G2H and LOVE IT !!
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #107 on: December 10, 2012, 07:37:34 PM »
I have truly enjoyed the phantom, fantstic pack and just wait, I'm getting thier cherry bomb pack soon and it will be filled with a nice little SBR...
Light, Lean, Lethal.
This is my aim

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »
I have truly enjoyed the phantom, fantstic pack and just wait, I'm getting thier cherry bomb pack soon and it will be filled with a nice little SBR...

Ahhh, it's the Phantom, with the removable scabbard you can use as a drag bag.  That's the one I originally had my eye on, but I thought it was bigger than what I needed.  For me, I was right.  The Gunslinger II is perfect for my needs.  If I did more extended overnight hunts the capacity of the Phantom would be needed, but I don't.  And if I do, the only thing better than an Eberlestock pack is two.

I've seen the Cherry Bomb on their website.  It looks like a great option to use as a minimalist and discreet BOB, but you just can't beat the functionality of the accessible scabbard on their other packs.  Plus you can't fit a traditional lengthed rifle in it.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Joe in TN

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Buck last weekend of season
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2013, 05:33:29 PM »

I shot this buck the last weekend of the season, this past Saturday.  I was using my rifled barrel shotgun, dropped in his tracks at 60 yards.  He field dressed at 137lbs.

Joe

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
Re: Buck last weekend of season
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2013, 05:44:10 PM »
NICE . . . Congrat's
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline lawdawg

• Prepper
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2013, 09:03:55 PM »
Spring turkey in Arizona 2013

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #112 on: October 02, 2013, 03:39:44 PM »
We had a short but successful deer hunt this year.  We hunted Saturday, Sunday, and Monday and filled two tags on Sunday (3-point around noon and the 4-point in the early evening).  My daughter had a couple missed opportunities on Monday.  The 4-point hung at 127 without the head and hide.  He's a brute for the area we've hunted for the last 17 years (camped between the same tree's each year).  The 3-point is a typical size for the area.

~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2013, 12:16:37 AM »
On may way to elk camp next week, wish me luck.
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline Cedar

• Autarkist Queen
  • Master Ant
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
On may way to elk camp next week, wish me luck.

Good luck and have fun. Stay safe.

Cedar

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #115 on: October 28, 2013, 05:02:23 PM »
No deer this season, but elk season is coming up.  I also got a grouse on my last day, so I didn't come home empty.  It made a nice dinner for me and the wife with enough leftovers for lunch the next day. 

I might go back up between seasons and get another grouse if I get the chance.  They were plentiful and damn fine eating.  Besides, it might be nice to hit one with something smaller than a .270win.   ;D  Don't worry, it was a neck shot, so nothing was wasted.  I'll be packing a .22 handgun for elk season for just such an occasion.
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2013, 07:27:18 PM »
Good luck endurance, lets swap stories when we get back. 
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2013, 10:08:47 PM »
I had a deer within about 35 feet of me this year.  Unfortunately I was facing the wrong way when I heard them.  They saw me first and by the time I turned around, the three of them were bounding over the hill.  They didn't slow down until they were a good quarter mile away.  Unfortunately, I didn't have my 50 cal to make that kind of shot. ;)
"There are things that you don't question when your home always smells like baking bread."  From The Hunger Games

“No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.”   James Madison

Online nelson96

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #118 on: October 28, 2013, 10:12:36 PM »
Not to brag (ok, yes I'm bragging), did you see my pics from our hunt? 
 ~ Gordon B. Hinckley

Offline endurance

• Dances With Newfies
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #119 on: October 28, 2013, 10:15:09 PM »
Not to brag (ok, yes I'm bragging), did you see my pics from our hunt?
Some damn fine hunting their, bud.  Congrats.  I would have gone up for more days, but felt a bit of a cold coming on and decided that waking up at 4am to sit in the 10F temps was not worth it.  Yep, I'm a wimp! ;D