Author Topic: Portable power - Solar Chargers  (Read 1950 times)

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Portable power - Solar Chargers
« on: February 07, 2011, 07:40:55 PM »
Happened on a site today and thought I would share it: 

http://tinyurl.com/4ur9lb2

10 amazing solar-powered chargers for serious travelers

In recent times there has been much said and ballyhooed about green renewable energy sources and how they can be utilized at their maximized level. Well, a solar charger is one such rare example where the optimum usage of renewable solar energy is truly covered at its efficient best. Such portable chargers can decisively prove to be the saviors for dare devil adventurers, determined trekkers or even serious travelers, once they are ‘into the wild’, and there is no source of power except the beaming, effulgent sun. Here is list of 10 best yet off-grid solar chargers, any resolute journeyer wouldn’t dare to overlook.
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
Re: Portable power - Solar Chargers
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 08:49:49 PM »
Idelphic, that was a great link!  I've been wanting something to charge small electronic devices in a power out situation and the the Brunton SolarRoll seems like it will fit the bill perfectly.  It claims it will even charge a car battery.  I'm gonna do a little snooping online for some reviews and am gonna grab one if everything checks out!
 +1
Thanks for the link!  Tac Hip

Accept the challenges so that you can feel the exhilaration of victory.
- General George Patton Jr

The best luck of all is the luck you make for yourself.
- General Douglas MacArthur

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »
Here are more - More serious systems.

http://www.powerenz.com/store/
In some cultures, I'm considered Normal.
Has no life - lives on TSP-F

I am not inflatable, so stop trying to blow me up. - Goatdog

Friend: "if anyone can make it work its you bro." Me: "Yea,..Pass the duct tape."

Offline Scotty2Hotty

• Prepper
  • All the way!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »
FANTASTIC LINK!   +1  I really like the backpack sized ones... could be going on the BOV list.

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 01:30:01 PM »
Been looking into a few things and found a few sites that may be of interest.
http://www.metrosolarmatics.com/solar-products.html

This one sounds interesting and was wondering if anyone had any experience with their products.
http://www.sunrnr.com/Products-Pricing.html

Anyone with any experience with Goal0 units like the 150W SCOUT PAK w/30W MONOCRYSTAL FOLDING PANEL(Goal0) ??
This looks like a decent unit for camping or emergency use.

Offline willydogusa

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 02:42:04 AM »
Been looking into a few things and found a few sites that may be of interest.
http://www.metrosolarmatics.com/solar-products.html

This one sounds interesting and was wondering if anyone had any experience with their products.
http://www.sunrnr.com/Products-Pricing.html

Anyone with any experience with Goal0 units like the 150W SCOUT PAK w/30W MONOCRYSTAL FOLDING PANEL(Goal0) ??
This looks like a decent unit for camping or emergency use.

I have been searching extensively for the last few days for the best solar charger without braking the bank, and it seem that Goal0 makes the best product for the price.
You can get the entry level 7w solar panel from Goal Zero for $63 online, that will allow to charge most usb devices and it also has a 12v output.
Keep in mind that is way more powerful of most  of the chargers mentioned above but it doesn't have a buffer battery, which means that no sun no charge.
I'm pretty sure you could remedy to that with a backup battery, so you could charge your battery during the day and be able to use the juice harvested at night.

I'm considering getting the goal0 7w panel in conjunction with a Proporta 5000mah usb battery pack, i should be able to get the whole kit for around $100, also for a little over $30 I could get a AA/AAA Goal0 charger to work with the solar panel.

As a disclaimer I'm not affiliate with any of the company I mentioned or I consider myself an expert on the topic!  :P

Offline Wrangell

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2011, 08:47:24 PM »
Decided against the Goal0 and ended up going with the Xantrex 600HD Power-pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Xantrex-852-2000-XPower-600-Powerpack/dp/B000E6LEIC

Did not get it on Amazon since there was an issue shipping it to AK. Ended up getting one here in AK for $18 more from our local solar place. This unit seems like a better choice for what I have planned for it. Want to be able to run LED some lighting
and a 12V water pump I am setting up with the Eccotemp portable propane water heater.

From what I have seen in the past few days from using the power-pack, the run times of certain things are considerably less than what is advertised on the box it comes in but I assumed that to be the case anyway. Will plan on putting together a list of run times for commonly used small appliances and electronic's. Also will put together what charge times are ranging from AC power, DC from cigarette lighter and my small folding 6.5W solar panel.

The nice thing about the Xantrex 600 is that it can be used to jump start you car or truck.

While it is not something you would want to pack very far it should work well for camping from our vehicle or use in an emergency at home. Will look at getting the Goal0 for when going backpacking/climbing.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2011, 06:05:36 PM »
While not solar, I use one of these:  http://www.envirogadget.com/alternative-energy/pull-string-power-pack-hand-powered-generator/  It does a good job of charging up my cellphone, Ipod, and/or PX-2R handheld ham radio.  I got it for a few quid at a Maplins in the UK a few months back.
It's ham radio, or better yet, amateur radio, not HAM...it isn't an acronym.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2011, 09:49:21 PM »
That looks interesting. How many pulls does it take to charge an iPod or cell phone?

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2011, 10:24:38 PM »
That looks interesting. How many pulls does it take to charge an iPod or cell phone?

Don't know, never tried.  Plugged in to a USB port on a computer it takes 4 to 5 hours to charge the unit so I'm guessing a bit more than that of steady pulling.  I'd only rely on the pull method as a last resort to get just enough energy in to the phone to make a call.
It's ham radio, or better yet, amateur radio, not HAM...it isn't an acronym.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"