Author Topic: Sport bottles to Africa  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
Sport bottles to Africa
« on: February 07, 2011, 11:39:50 PM »
Jeff, I should be calling in the next few weeks to place an order for my preps (thinking Berkey light or Royal) and I think I have most of the info that I need for that purchase.   My question concerns my sister, brother-in-law, and their three children.   They are heading to the Congo as missionaries for no less than 3 years.  I asked about their water situation and they said they had a system already (not sure what brand) so I don't think that they need another a full system.  But I was thinking about purchasing 5 sport bottles, one for each of them.  Looking at the website, it doesn't really cover how long the sport filters last.  Since it will be expensive and difficult, if not impossible, to get cargo into them after their first big push, I was thinking about including additional sport filters.  

So Jeff, if you were going to take a Berkey sport bottle to Africa for fairly constant use for 3 years, how many replacement filters would you take along with you?

Thanks in advance.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
Re: Sport bottles to Africa
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 08:47:31 AM »
Jeff, I should be calling in the next few weeks to place an order for my preps (thinking Berkey light or Royal) and I think I have most of the info that I need for that purchase.   My question concerns my sister, brother-in-law, and their three children.   They are heading to the Congo as missionaries for no less than 3 years.  I asked about their water situation and they said they had a system already (not sure what brand) so I don't think that they need another a full system.  But I was thinking about purchasing 5 sport bottles, one for each of them.  Looking at the website, it doesn't really cover how long the sport filters last.  Since it will be expensive and difficult, if not impossible, to get cargo into them after their first big push, I was thinking about including additional sport filters.  

So Jeff, if you were going to take a Berkey sport bottle to Africa for fairly constant use for 3 years, how many replacement filters would you take along with you?

Thanks in advance.

Great questions, here is a link to the Sport Berkeys:
http://directive21.com/accessories-sport-berkey.html

They will last around 640 fills on tap water, or less depending on the quality of the water.
I usually use them for up to 1 year, and then replace the filter.
You probably want to bring at least 4-5 replacement filter, a few for backups.

theberkeyguy

Offline Falling_blue

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 01:08:59 PM »
Well they will not have any tap water availible so lets assume it will be lower quality of water. 

How do you know when to replace them?  Does it just get harder to get water out?

They won't be leaving till the fall, but I will definatly try to get a picture with the sport bottles if they like them.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
Well they will not have any tap water availible so lets assume it will be lower quality of water. 

How do you know when to replace them?  Does it just get harder to get water out?

They won't be leaving till the fall, but I will definatly try to get a picture with the sport bottles if they like them.

A best estimate would mean the filter would last 150-200 fills on contaminated water.  Usually the taste will change if it is not working correctly, but after that many fills, we recommend replacing the filter.

theberkeyguy