Author Topic: Are Mormon LDS Canneries Organic or Non-GMO  (Read 4108 times)

Offline kevo

• Survivor
Are Mormon LDS Canneries Organic or Non-GMO
« on: February 10, 2011, 10:51:40 AM »
Do Mormon LDS Canneries carry organic or non-GMO foods? Are the foods locally sourced?

Or does it depend on the local organizing group?

What have been your experiences?

Offline smuglydawg

• Survivor
Re: Are Mormon LDS Canneries Organic or Non-GMO
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 06:01:53 PM »
Good question, also I think you would have to see what your local one does.

Are they all the same?

I would think if you contacted your nearest one they would know

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 06:31:12 PM »
my understanding is that as of now, GMO wheat has not been cleared for human consumption.

also, I do not know exactly where they get their foodstuffs, but.... the church is one of the largest landowners in the intermountain west of farmland.  there is a big farm just north of me, and a huge beef ranch in northeastern Utah.  when I was a kid we used to volunteer at the church dairy farm as a youth group.  that could be just for the humanitarian work, but it could be for the canneries too.  wouldn't surprise me to find out the church has food processing plants scattered around.  probably not organic, but I would guess not GMO either.  just my guess.
"Preparedness, when properly pursued, is a way of life, not a sudden, spectacular program" - Spencer W. Kimball
"Life isn't about trying to survive the storm; but about learning to dance in the rain" - unknown
Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity

Prepping makes even a hurricane just an inconvenience.

Offline dep190

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 07:25:23 PM »
The one in Northeast ohio has alot of products on hand in bags and canned , However some groups bring in their own food too can so it could vary! Just give them a telephone call or stop buy the facility They are really nice and helpfull and will answer all your questions!

Offline NotAGrasshopper

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 05:12:43 PM »
The one in Northeast ohio has alot of products on hand in bags and canned , However some groups bring in their own food too can so it could vary! Just give them a telephone call or stop buy the facility They are really nice and helpfull and will answer all your questions!

The local LDS cannery doesn't allow you to bring in your own food.  They do have "loaner" can sealers so you can seal up anything you want to at home.

I doubt the LDS food is locally sourced but I could be wrong.  I'm sure they use the church's buying power to strongarm good prices out of one vendor for each product they carry.  Again I could be wrong.

inbox485

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 09:38:48 PM »
The local LDS cannery doesn't allow you to bring in your own food.  They do have "loaner" can sealers so you can seal up anything you want to at home.

I doubt the LDS food is locally sourced but I could be wrong.  I'm sure they use the church's buying power to strongarm good prices out of one vendor for each product they carry.  Again I could be wrong.

I'm not positive that everything they do is like this, but I know that the majority of it's food distribution system is grown on church owned and operated NFP farms. I have no idea as to what would be non-GMO or organic though or if it would vary by region. If you call your closest cannery, I'd imagine they would either know or be able to find out.

Offline britdirk

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 03:01:50 PM »
With the closing of canneries in on the east US coast, it is important to let people know that you can still purchase long term food storage from the LDS church, you just place an order from the Deseret Book Store, just go to their webpage and look for food storage.

That being said, a few weeks ago, I called SLC Church headquarters with one question. "Does the the long term food storage products purchased from the LDS church contain GMO's?" after calling many different offices of the church, I finally received an answer from the head of humanitarian services. Yes, all food grown on church property is grown with roundup ready seed where ever available. The wheat is a "no," for now, as it is illegal to grow GMO wheat in the US.

I am enclosing the number for the operator in Salt Lake, please call and ask for yourselves. 1-800-537-5971 This number is for the church store, they may give you other UT numbers to call. I got my final answer at the humanitarian office, under church welfare.