Author Topic: Anyone use Amaranth in a food plot?  (Read 12156 times)

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
Anyone use Amaranth in a food plot?
« on: January 28, 2009, 09:14:24 PM »
Has anyone incorporated Amaranth into a wildlife food plot?  It seems like this would be a good duel use plant.  The greens could be eaten (assuming deer don't like the taste) and turkey and quail would go after the ripe grain.  Plus it should reseed itself to some degree. 

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Re: Anyone use Amaranth in a food plot?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 03:09:27 PM »
Interesting idea, can't say I have ever heard of it but it would be worth trying. 

I am going to try doing a modified three sisters garden myself this year.  Let pople beans trail up it and plant some winter squash between it.  We shall see, all you can do is try it and see. 

homegrown

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2009, 03:44:53 PM »
I have my seeds (Amaranth) on order but I have more research to do...have to go back an re-listen to that show!

Eric

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 11:14:06 AM »
I've been been tossing around the idea of planting a small plot of some sort of grain to attract doves.  Amaranth seems like a great dual purpose plant.

"Mourning Doves show a preference for the seeds of certain species of plant over others. Foods taken in preference to others include pine nuts, sweetgum seeds, and the seeds of pokeberry, amaranth, canary grass, corn, sesame, and wheat. When their favorite foods are absent, Mourning Doves will eats the seeds of other plants, including buckwheat, rye, goosegrass and smartweed."

Here's a link the the full article.

http://www.gunnersden.com/index.htm.shooting-hunting-dove.html

Offline DeepSea1985

• Senior Survivalist
    • TN Tactical Supply
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 05:55:51 PM »
Seeds came in this week from one of the sites Jack recommended. We will plant some of them to the rear of the property and see if the deer bother them. Jeezee they are small little seeds.........

FreeFire

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2009, 08:08:51 PM »
I've jumped on to the amaranth bandwagon and have some seeds on the way. That being said, does it need milling prior to consumption?

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »
My understanding is it can be treated like any raw grain with side bonuses.

1.  Toss in soups and let plump like barley.
2.  Grind into flour.  (glutten free)
3.  Use like popcorn.  (Incas? mixed the poped stuff with honey)

I have heard the flour reacts differently than wheat flower, but can't recall the details.

Eric

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2009, 09:25:02 AM »
Seeds came in this week from one of the sites Jack recommended. We will plant some of them to the rear of the property and see if the deer bother them. Jeezee they are small little seeds.........

Who did you order them from?  How much area will they cover?

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 05:06:53 PM »
Can't answer the area question, but since this has sat for a while, here is a link to buy amaranth seed by mail.

http://rareseeds.com/seeds/Amaranth

Offline DeepSea1985

• Senior Survivalist
    • TN Tactical Supply
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
Who did you order them from?  How much area will they cover?

So sorry, I should check posts more often. Looking back, I think they were from one of the sites Jack recommended....Maybe not looking back. After the podcast I did some surfing and found the best price for what was advertised as eatable, Amaranth “Golden Giant”. The seeds came from www.dianeseeds.com. Doesn’t address the coverage but directions say to sow outdoors close to the last frost date or indoors then thin to 12 – 18” apart. They are small seeds, not as small as carrots but a lot of them to the ounce.

Also bought from them some Arugula “Rocket” seeds, (almost same size seeds as the Amaranth), Jack talked about and some “Martino’s Roma” tomato seeds.   

We shall see how they do….

Offline desertman

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 04:41:53 PM »
Another good source of Amaranth is Native Seeds here in Tucson, AZ.  They will mail seeds:

http://www.nativeseeds.org/

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 07:37:22 PM »
Just thinking about this topic... an old thread... but how did the amaranth planting go last year?

Offline DeepSea1985

• Senior Survivalist
    • TN Tactical Supply
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 03:49:10 PM »
Just thinking about this topic... an old thread... but how did the amaranth planting go last year?

Not so good last year. I open sowed seeds in a three foot square fairly heavy, planning to thin as they came up. For some reason I only had one plant come up. It is suppose to be "Golden Giant" but my results were less than impressive. It made it to about two feet tall before going to seed but the seed head was pretty big.  I may have planted too late, or spot was too shady or birds may have picked them off or I thought maybe the seeds I bought were old and low germination.

Anyway, I saved the seeds from the one that came up and started them off in peat pots in the greenhouse this past February. Also had a few of the seeds left from the seed company order and planted them as well.......Man what a difference, I probably have 20 in each peat pot and tallest is around 4".

I plan to start transplanting them this weekend in various places in the yard and garden and see what they do this time around if weather allows.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2010, 08:42:57 PM »
i ordered some amaranth and started several plants inside in peat pots... transplanted them outside and only have one still alive (I tried several different flower beds outside). We shall see how it goes :)

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2010, 08:58:35 PM »
Bought a bag of organic amaranth from the local bulk food. Threw it in a mason jar - sprouted no problem. Threw the sprouts into a container with a small tomato. So far looks like some of the sprouts are taking hold. We'll see what happens.

Offline Scramblin

• Prepper
  • Once an Eagle...always an Eagle.
    • Brian's Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »
I bought a packet of Hopi Red Dye from High Mowing.  Lots of tiny seeds.  Most germinated in the green house.  The first bunch I tried to move outside didn't survive my cats.  The other bunch that are still in the greenhouse are stuck on tiny.  They came up an inch and have stalled.

It was a REALLY cold wet spring in Seattle (yes that is an oxymoron) so maybe that is affecting the growth.  If the 2nd batch takes off, I'll post some pics.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »
Bought a bag of organic amaranth from the local bulk food. Threw it in a mason jar - sprouted no problem. Threw the sprouts into a container with a small tomato. So far looks like some of the sprouts are taking hold. We'll see what happens.

These survived - it's now about 6 weeks later and I have nice little plants. They are only about 4" tall however - seem to grow slowly.

I thought amaranth was supposed to grow really fast...

As for usage, it is so small I can't imagine grinding it smaller.... I have added it to soups and rice - really so small you don't notice it is in there. I may experiment with using it like cous-cous. Seems to be a lot of vegetarian options out there. I think it may be best as a food extender, more than as actual food. ie: add it to rice, grains, meatloaf, whatever to add some nutritional value and bulk.

Offline Mountain Ron

• Prepper
    • Rons Primitive Skills
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2010, 07:54:10 AM »
I grow Amaranthus caudatus for the grain. Its very prolific and it will take over! Its also great for guerrilla gardening. I grow it along the banks of the irrigation canal in my back yard. No one ever bothers it because they don't cut the weeds there. I also grow it along the fences. I likes full sun and is drought resistant. Good stuff.