Author Topic: Cheap PVC greenhouse project  (Read 18330 times)

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
Cheap PVC greenhouse project
« on: February 12, 2011, 06:52:09 PM »
 Here are some pics of my greenhouse project.  The following was done in one day.  It’s really simple, requires few tools and is relatively cheap.

I’m not going to go down the material list as I’m posting a blueprint with all the info on it.  The cost for me so far has been about $100.  That is for the pvc, fittings, and glue.  The 6mil plastic needed to complete the project will be about $100 more bringing total cost to around $200.  Now this will vary depending on your area, how much you can scavenge, ect.  I purchased all my materials at Lowes.

This is the top frame laid out.  It's easier to go ahead and glue the top peices to the bottom side rails.  Let the PVC cement cure for a few hours(about 3).

The PVC greenhouse master...well in my mind anyway....

Finished product..see my wife in the upper left corner…that was her giving me moral support while reading a good book…

Walls raised.

I used 24" metal stakes to secure the greenhouse.  It also prevents the sides from bowing out due to the pressure of the pvc from pushing outwards because of the bow.  I then wired the greenhouse to the stakes to prevent the wind from lifting it up.  I found some stakes with pre drilled holes in them for the wire to go through at Home Depot.

Here are the plans I went by.  I changed them up a bit by adding another 3' to the length of the house, and also on the top center support cross members I used quad connectors instead of offset T's.

http://www.pvcplans.com/ArchGrnHouse.pdf

Tomorrow or Monday I plan to finish, I still have to put the door in and the window and cover with 6mil plastic.
I hope some of you will find this useful and if I can answer any questions please feel free to ask! 

TacHipp

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Cheap PVC greenhouse project
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2011, 07:06:28 PM »
Looking good.  I have a similar project going, I spanned over my raised beds.  I used 1/2" pvc, which is going to require me to do some extra reinforcement.  The problem I had in the fall was fitting the plastic sheeting.  I had several ideas, but in the end, I think it will have to just lay over it and be anchored at ground level.

What are your plans for securing the plastic?

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2011, 07:15:39 PM »
Looking good.  I have a similar project going, I spanned over my raised beds.  I used 1/2" pvc, which is going to require me to do some extra reinforcement.  The problem I had in the fall was fitting the plastic sheeting.  I had several ideas, but in the end, I think it will have to just lay over it and be anchored at ground level.

What are your plans for securing the plastic?

I used 1” PVC for the frame and I plan on taking 1 1/4” PVC cutting them into about 2” pieces, then cutting about a ¼” out of the center going length wise out of the 2” pieces. 

Check out the blueprints I posted.  It will show you how to make the clips far better than I could explain it. 

I had thought about running a bead of construction adhesive down the curved pieces of PVC also.   The only problem with that is if…or should I say when I need to change out the plastic will that cause a problem?  I’m still in the figuring out process…lol

I think the clips in the blueprints and maybe a little dirt on the bottom edges around the entire structure may be enough.

Offline fire65

• BANNED FOR BEING RUDE TO FELLOW MEMBERS
  • Prepper
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2011, 07:37:07 PM »
I like it, thanks for sharing the plans.  Look forward to seeing the finished product.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2011, 08:17:40 PM »
found a website that sells snap clamps for 1" PVC.  I think you can make it easier and alot cheaper!  I'll post some trial and error pics on the clamps sometime this week as I experiment!  Here's the link  FYI...

http://www.snapclamp.com/prices.htm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:52:31 PM by Tactical Hippie »

Offline tamo42

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Primal Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2011, 09:05:55 AM »
Great looking start, can't wait to see the finished product. Two things come to mind.

With the snap clamps, you might be able to double wall your greenhouse, one layer snapped to the inside of the frame, one layer to outside. I think this would improve the heat retention of the plastic, but at double the cost of course.

I was also wondering if you left one end with t connectors for possible expansion later on?

Offline excaliber

• Survivalist Mentor
  • gunning in Iraq
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:25:04 PM »
looks, great, looks like it has a lot of slant to the top, which is good, not sure where you are located, but a word to the wise, I had a buddy build a frame like this as a cheap carport for his truck, we got an 8 inch snow and it collapsed and the PVC dented his cab.
  but I'm not sure, if you leave the plastic on it year round or not.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 03:22:43 AM »
I tried mfg some clips like this using pvc water pipe.  Cut it lengthwise with a dremmel tool then to length.  Initially it held the plastic ok, but when the spaces between pipe filled with water, it wouldn't hold the weight and they popped off.  I did have to use squares of plastic 4x4, to help keep the clips from tearing the sheeting.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 05:09:14 AM »
Thanks for posting this.
I bookmarked the plans.

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 06:49:40 AM »
I think mine might be too big, I might have to make it smaller, to facilitate a common sized sheet of plastic.  Perhaps having two smaller ones is better than one large one.  Chances are I'll only need to cover two raised beds and not all four.   More planning needed.

Offline MacReady

• Survivor
  • Dolly Sods, WV Oct '09
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 08:45:49 PM »
Looks great, I can't wait to see an update on this.

Similar to JGreene, I'm considering options for covering my 4x8 raised beds.  I was thinking of doing something similar but using sheets of remesh as the structure and covering it with plastic.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 07:52:06 PM »
Great looking start, can't wait to see the finished product. Two things come to mind.

I was also wondering if you left one end with t connectors for possible expansion later on?

I actually thought about that....after the frame was completed. :P   Worst case scenario I have to cut the end off and rebuild from there...more of a pain in the @** than a cost issue!   Great thought though!

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 07:55:36 PM »
I tried mfg some clips like this using pvc water pipe.  Cut it lengthwise with a dremmel tool then to length.  Initially it held the plastic ok, but when the spaces between pipe filled with water, it wouldn't hold the weight and they popped off.  I did have to use squares of plastic 4x4, to help keep the clips from tearing the sheeting.

I ended up cutting 1 1/4" PVC with a table saw.  I mad a cut length wise, turned the pipe to where my next cut took apx. 1/2" out.  Then cut them to length.

I found that if I pinched the plastic (pulled some slack up) before trying to snap the clip in place it kept it from tearing.

I'm gonna post some pics this weekend!

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 07:58:31 PM »
For all who have commented I apologize for the delay in a response.  I've found myself in a work nightmare and family sickness....busy last few days! 

I will be posting more pics tomorrow night of a hopefully finished greenhouse!!  Thanks for all the advise and ideas!

TacHipp   ;D

Offline JGreene

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2011, 11:13:08 AM »
I attached mine to the raised beds using my 1/2" PVC which fit inside 3/4" water pipe perfectly. (not sure what its called, the 3/4" is thin wall).  I used 3/4" conduit straps to secure 8" pieces of 3/4" to the outside wall of the raised bed which allows the structure to sit right inside.  If needed, I could drill and secure the connection with some kind of non corrosive screw.  I've been using coated deck screws.

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2011, 08:29:54 PM »
FINISHED!!  YEAAAA

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »
That looks great! I am so gonna have to give this a try.

Hare of Caerbannog

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 10:09:33 AM »
Very nice!
Way to go Tactical Hippie!