Author Topic: Easy Transfer Switch  (Read 4107 times)

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
Easy Transfer Switch
« on: February 14, 2011, 03:23:32 PM »
Just thought I'd relay my experience with a transfer switch I had installed last year.

http://www.interlockkit.com/index.htm

It basically allows you to SAFELY (and legally) back-feed your panel from a generator. A friend of mine is a licensed electrician and installed it for me. It physically blocks the back-feed breaker from turning ON while the main breaker is ON and physically blocks the MAIN breaker from turning on when the back-feed breaker is on.

Obviously, you need a WELL LABELED panel so you only turn on the circuits that are needed (and that your genset can handle). But it works great. Very simple solution to a backup power feed.

*Standard Disclaimer: No affiliation with said company, no warrentee expressed or implied, contents may settle, object in mirror are closer than they appear, no animals were harmed in the transmission of this email, although the yorkshire terrier next door is living on borrowed time...

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
Re: Easy Transfer Switch
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2011, 04:46:51 PM »
Very cool - thanks!!

Offline JohnAdams

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2011, 05:11:33 PM »
Hey... that's pretty neat! I like simple/low-tech/low-cost solutions. Less to break, easier to fix if they do!

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2011, 06:34:56 PM »
That is a Cuttler Hammer CH series panel.  that interlock will only work with the CH series.  Eaton/ Cuttler Hammer makes a similar device for use with certain 100 amp panels that will work on other makes.  Square D also makes a 100 Amp application interlock that is similar.

I have been using a version of this setup for about 2 years now to great effect.  As SWNH said, the panel needs to be well labeled and you need to be very conscious of what you are using at one time as your load control is all manual.  Still, this setup allows you to feed power to your entire premises wiring system safely and legally.  With a little care, it allows you full use of your home.

Offline mvrck

• Prepper
    • http://www.mavericksolar.net
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
SWNH,

+1 from me... I need that gizmo and just saved someone a lot of hassle.

Thanks

Offline SWNH

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2011, 10:13:59 AM »
That is a Cuttler Hammer CH series panel.  that interlock will only work with the CH series.  

They make versions for LOTS of different panels. I have a 200 Square D panel.

Offline mvrck

• Prepper
    • http://www.mavericksolar.net
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 08:50:09 PM »
Perfect! That is the same panel I need it for. I will definitely check into this.