Author Topic: 3d printer kit  (Read 2331 times)

Offline AtADeadRun

• I<3 Mr. Bill
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Velocitas eradico.
3d printer kit
« on: February 16, 2011, 10:44:41 AM »
So, I really, really want one of these:  MakerBot Thing-O-Matic.  It will print any solid, three-dimensional object (with some exceptions based on the limits of the plastic being worked with) that's less than 12"x12"x16".  It'll print parts that can be snap-fit or otherwise assembled together.  I've seen plans -- and by that I mean complete instructions *and* turn-key 3d files to feed to the machine -- for miniature, Dremel-powered lathes, small centrifugal pumps, replacement parts for a variety of applications including the fabricator itself, stands, tool racks...

If you can describe it in a 3-dimensional computer representation, you can print it out.  This particular model comes in a kit form, much assembly required, but costs roughly a tenth of a commercial rapid prototyping machine.  I kinda wish we had a couple other do-it-yourself-intensive families in the area with whom we could go in on one of these together.

nkawtg

Re: 3d printer kit
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 11:39:41 AM »
Many of the plastic parts produced can be used directly in place of their metal counterpart. Were being the only concern, but who cares, you can always make a new part.

Offline nghtwlf

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:32:53 PM »
may also want to look at a RepRap 3d printer http://reprap.org/wiki/Main_Page.  Price is similar for a full kit but can be built for less than half the price if you are willing to source the parts yourself.  It's fully open-source so build plans and control software are free.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:30:29 PM »
I love the Makerbot Thing-o-Matic!