Author Topic: Urban Homesteading trademarked, Dervaes Family gets Death Threats  (Read 139586 times)

Thox Spuddy

Re: Urban Homesteading trademarked, Dervaes Family gets Death Threats
« Reply #300 on: April 08, 2011, 08:49:22 PM »
Arrogance!

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2011, 05:48:36 PM »
At this point I fear the Dervaes are being taken for a ride by a slimy lawyer who knows they can't win, but he is sucking up hourly fees from the Dervaes anyhow.

An injunction? The Dervaes are threatening an injunction? Against what?

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2011, 12:35:06 PM »
I would normally never say this, but I really hope these people loose their farm.  :pissed:

Offline RodPowley

• Prepper
« Reply #303 on: April 12, 2011, 02:54:29 PM »
It says on the trademark page linked below that cancellation is pending. Does this mean they have had a change of heart due to the bad publicity?

http://www.trademarkia.com/urban-homestead-77574809.html

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #304 on: April 12, 2011, 04:35:13 PM »
It says on the trademark page linked below that cancellation is pending. Does this mean they have had a change of heart due to the bad publicity?

http://www.trademarkia.com/urban-homestead-77574809.html

I don't know yet if it was because of that or some action of EFF.  I am sure we will hear more in the future.  Either way this is a very good sign and I will never trust the Dervaes again or promote them.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #306 on: April 12, 2011, 07:19:38 PM »
I can't wait to read the Dervaes Institute Press Release after they loose the Trademark. Fingers crossed...

Offline EllisFamilyOKC

• Prepper
« Reply #307 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:27 PM »
Oops! Looks like someone didn't respond in a timely manner. Let's take up a collection and register this!
http://www.trademarkia.com/path-to-freedom-78706804.html

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #308 on: April 12, 2011, 08:55:12 PM »
good news!

Offline Calista

• Prepper
« Reply #309 on: April 13, 2011, 06:39:43 PM »
Jules not making deadlines and maybe ignoring the whole mess in hopes it will go away and he won't be counter-sued kinda reminds me of those perps on foot, running through the neighborhoods with police helicopters in hot pursuit with a big, bright light.

In both cases, do they really think they're going to get away with it?  :D

Offline BlackHawkScout

• Fledgling Prepper
    • The Rifleman Radio Show
« Reply #310 on: April 19, 2011, 09:45:52 PM »
Well, the whole thing sure seems like a bad idea. I must not be seeing how trademarking the name could ever help them that much and even if it did, how having a bunch of folks writing letters and stirring up "ant beds" would look like a good idea.

I respect what they do, but as an earlier poster commented, he has been doing the same thing, as have countless others, for many years.

I have always felt froom looking at their website photo that they were either actors in an FBI witness protection program commercial or actual pod people luring pospective transfers onto their property.

Also, while what they are doing really is a good idea, and should be modeled nationwide, until it is on every block, their experiment reminds me of starting a small baby rabbit farm in the middle of the hyena enclosure in the zoo. It is a great idea for the unused space in the hyena enclosure, until the day the zookeepers can not show up to protect the baby rabbit farm. 

inbox485

« Reply #311 on: June 24, 2011, 07:02:05 PM »
This says everything anybody ever needed to know about these d-bags:

Word Mark:   PATH TO FREEDOM

inbox485

« Reply #312 on: June 24, 2011, 07:04:37 PM »
Well, the whole thing sure seems like a bad idea. I must not be seeing how trademarking the name could ever help them that much and even if it did, how having a bunch of folks writing letters and stirring up "ant beds" would look like a good idea.

I respect what they do, but as an earlier poster commented, he has been doing the same thing, as have countless others, for many years.

I have always felt froom looking at their website photo that they were either actors in an FBI witness protection program commercial or actual pod people luring pospective transfers onto their property.

Also, while what they are doing really is a good idea, and should be modeled nationwide, until it is on every block, their experiment reminds me of starting a small baby rabbit farm in the middle of the hyena enclosure in the zoo. It is a great idea for the unused space in the hyena enclosure, until the day the zookeepers can not show up to protect the baby rabbit farm. 

The point of TM's is so that I can't start a soda company called CocaCola and replicate their can and ride their coat tails. In that sense it is a good thing. What the D- family is doing is more like TMing the term cola itself.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #313 on: June 24, 2011, 07:23:48 PM »
was just yesterday wondering where this was at.  what about the family?  are they still circling the wagons around their craziness?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #315 on: June 24, 2011, 07:57:45 PM »
... most people disappointed with Dervaes family. It seems very anti to the movement they promote.

I have no clue who they are and don't want to know who they are, for what I am reading here, they are urban, but they certainly do not have the homesteading attitude. They are seemingly up there with the AgriBiz boys if they are in it for the buck.. and tradmarking phrases to boot.

Cedar

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #316 on: June 25, 2011, 06:52:42 AM »
You'd run circles around them with your endeavors, cedar.

To a lot of folks they were somewhat of an inspiration with their ability to produce so much on such a small patch of urban land, but they've lost a lot of their ability to inspire with the shenanigans of recent months.

nkawtg

« Reply #318 on: July 25, 2011, 07:37:54 PM »
Very nice. With 20+ hours of sunshine they can get alot grown in a short period. Hope they have lots of canning supplies.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #319 on: November 05, 2015, 07:33:36 PM »
Credit to Roswell for finding this:

“URBAN HOMESTEADING” TRADEMARK CANCELLED BY FEDERAL COURT

Today in a pre-trial ruling a federal court in California cancelled the trademark for “urban homesteading” which its owner had used to disable a number of Facebook pages in 2011 by claiming infringement. This ended a nearly five-year legal struggle by a small farmers’ market in Denver, Colorado named Denver Urban Homesteading to cancel the trademark which began when the farmers lost their Facebook page and contacts with customers in February 2011.

The trademark was owned by the Dervaes Institute of Pasadena, CA, self-described in California incorporation papers as a “religious society” and operated by Jules Dervaes and members of his family. ... Court filings show that the Dervaes Institute had issued cease and desist letters to book authors, book publishers, farmers’ markets and even a public library.

...in December 2014 Denver Urban Homesteading sued in California where a judge in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California canceled the trademark because it is generic. Generic words and phrases cannot be registered as trademarks. ...

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #321 on: November 05, 2015, 09:35:15 PM »
excellent!

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #322 on: November 05, 2015, 10:04:59 PM »
The wheels of justice......turn slowly.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #323 on: November 06, 2015, 03:11:29 AM »
Thank God for judges with intelligence and common sense! :)

Offline I.L.W.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #324 on: November 06, 2015, 12:14:39 PM »
Rare that reason and law come together like that these days. Still, it's sad. They inspired a lot of people and were good at what they did. They just got caught up in their own bullshit. People in agriculture and permaculture circles trademark and patent things all the time, but with the intent of preserving the idea from would-be abusers. They don't do it to sue people, they do it so they won't have to defend themselves from litigious patent trolls in court later. These unrelated groups and businesses didn't detract from their recognition or harm their business. They sued anyway.

It's a lesson learned. They turned their back on the most basic principals of their target audience, damaging people who would likely have been strong allies in their legitimate endeavors, and lost years in silly court battles which might have been spent building their reputation into something marketable. Look at how many here at TSP were supporters until they started with the trademark nonsense. Just this one website being alienated by their actions cost them thousands of potential customers & supporters.

I just hope they realize this and get their venture back on track with more legitimacy. They're kooks, sure. Far be it for me to hold that against them (Pot & Kettle). But they have knowledge, drive and a real desire to share that with their community. Their litigiousness however prevented other similarly motivated people from doing the same. If they pay whatever damages are assessed by the court, apologize to the businesses they hurt, fire their attorney, put their skills to work in providing a real service to their community and sincerely admit they were wrong, I'd probably follow their work again. Until then... they got what they deserved. I believe in second chances, but they must be earned.

The family has been harassed, they did get threats (a unmeasured response to a cease and desist order). The backlash from the community likely caused them to dig their heels in on principal. They could see how their opponents were obviously wrong in sending death threats, and that blinded them to their own misdeeds.  Add in a lawyer to obscure the moral arguments with legal arguments and I can see how they ended up here. I just hope they get their shit together and resume the good work they were doing before all this legal nonsense.

I do get kind of weird vibe from them though... Like maybe they should have trademarked "Urban Jonestown" instead.

Offline artephius

• Survivor
  • Recovering forum lurker..
« Reply #325 on: November 11, 2015, 08:36:23 PM »
WOW the government actually did something right for a change... I don't know what to say...