Author Topic: Urban Homesteading trademarked, Dervaes Family gets Death Threats  (Read 138662 times)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
Re: Urban Homesteading trademarked, Dervaes Family gets Death Threats
« Reply #270 on: March 10, 2011, 06:49:59 PM »
I hope the CAlifungus doesn't get me.  I live here too but as more and more liberties are taken away I am thinking it's time to move.

Maybe I can take Sister Wolf & Archer with me. (Only two I have seen posting so far that live here, I know there are others.)

My husband (The Wilderness) is also here in So Cal (obviously).  :)  We're looking at moving out to Tennessee in the next year or so.  If you're interested in getting out of Cali, I hope you're able to do it!!!!

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #271 on: March 11, 2011, 05:39:25 AM »
My husband (The Wilderness) is also here in So Cal (obviously).  :)  We're looking at moving out to Tennessee in the next year or so. 
Sister Wolf,
I hope you do it. Tennessee is the prettiest place on Earth. Of course, I'm a bit biased. :)

I don't know if the EFF CAN post the Dervaes response, not if there's a chance of more legal action. I think that could get them in trouble, and unlike a certain family, they have real lawyers to advise them. I, too, am dying to know what their response -if anything -was.
And I'm thinking of naming a book about our homestead "From Urban Homestead to Farm"  ;D

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #272 on: March 11, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »
We're looking at moving out to Tennessee in the next year or so. 
May I ask why Tennessee? And is this to get away from California?

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2011, 03:44:48 PM »
May I ask why Tennessee? And is this to get away from California?

We're moving to Tennessee because after driving from here (southern cali) to Eastern Maryland and back last August, North Eastern Tennessee was the only part of the only state we absolutely fell in love with.  It was partly the ridiculous amount of wild food growing every time you stepped from the road into the tree line, partly the "just plain folks" up there who call you "hun" or "sweetheart" or "darlin'" and actually look you in the eye and/or smile at you, partly the fact that the only "litter" up there is flower petals and blackberry vines, partly the fireflies (FIREFLIES!!!), partly the mountain thunderstorms up there in the Smokey Mtns, and partly the heart-wrenching feeling that we were HOME the second we got there.

And the laws/freedoms don't hurt either.  And the price of living DEFINITELY doesn't hurt.  What I do for a living (graphic design, web development, and the TSP Gear Shop) can be done from anywhere.  It doesn't matter what state I'm in, I'll charge the same amount for my services.  So it doesn't matter to me what the typical income level is in those areas, as long as the crime is low (it is), the people are human (they aren't here in California - they're machines built for consumption of products that are ridiculously overpriced and judge you by that value, not by the quality of what you produce), the landscape gives back to me (it doesn't here in Cali, as we live in at the foot of a desert pass), and the word "windswept" makes people scratch their heads (here in the desert, it just makes people shudder and look at you like you've said something evil). 

I want to forget what it's like to be a Californian.  I want to learn what it's like to be free.  Tennessee has just about enough whiskey to make at least one of those things possible.

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #274 on: March 11, 2011, 04:02:22 PM »
Tennessee has just about enough whiskey to make at least one of those things possible.

You don't know how true that is...of both the legal and illegal variety.

I'm from east TN and miss it like hell.  The land is fertile, the people are salt of the earth despite their shortcomings, you can be remote and yet near at the same time, no state income tax (last time I checked), home schooling is accepted, CCW laws are decent, etc. It has its drawbacks for sure, but it does offer something unique.   There is nothing quite like watching a sunrise in the Smokies, the Blue Ridge, or the Cumberland.  Some of my fondest memories.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #275 on: March 11, 2011, 04:18:36 PM »
... partly the fireflies (FIREFLIES!!!)
Don't be surprised when you have to learn a new vocabulary. I'm not that familiar with East TN but in Middle TN fireflies are called lightening bugs, a garden hose is a hose pipe, etc. Don't ask where yonder is, it's just yonder. And you'll hear plenty of recollecting, too (as in 'if I recollect' with a short e in the 1st syllable = 'if I recall/remember'). If someone asks 'what kind of Coke ya want?' it's a general term for any kind of soft drink. After living in TN for 50+ yrs and moving to SC, I had to learn a new vocabulary here.  ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #276 on: March 11, 2011, 04:52:20 PM »
Don't be surprised when you have to learn a new vocabulary. I'm not that familiar with East TN but in Middle TN fireflies are called lightening bugs, a garden hose is a hose pipe, etc. Don't ask where yonder is, it's just yonder. And you'll hear plenty of recollecting, too (as in 'if I recollect' with a short e in the 1st syllable = 'if I recall/remember'). If someone asks 'what kind of Coke ya want?' it's a general term for any kind of soft drink. After living in TN for 50+ yrs and moving to SC, I had to learn a new vocabulary here.  ;)

I' d heard the "lightning bugs" one, but I keep forgetting it.  Why on earth do we call 'em fireflies down here, when we don't even HAVE THEM?  Silly desert rats don't know proper Tennessee speak.  :)

Thank you for the rest of those.  Re: "recollect," I'd have though it pronounced with a long e (as in "vinyl record"), and omitting the "o".  Like, "If ah rec'llect," like Gus McCrae might have said it in Lonesome Dove.  Texas != Tennessee.  I'll try to remember that. 

Oh, actually, that reminds me.  The way people cook in Tennessee was a small selling point to me too.  We had a family come up and bring dinner to us one night when we stayed in Tennessee.  They didn't know us from Adam, but they cooked us "Tennessee bbq beans" and dessert.  Food like that doesn't exist down here in So Cal.  Granted, I'll miss the amazing Mexican food, and I'll REALLY miss the Thai food (which is NOT the same as Eastern US Thai food, as we unfortunately discovered when we stopped in Pennsylvania because I was craving Thai), and the Boba (how do you guys NOT HAVE boba with thai iced tea back there?).  I'm sure I'll survive.  Somehow.  ;)

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #277 on: March 11, 2011, 04:54:28 PM »
You don't know how true that is...of both the legal and illegal variety.

I'm from east TN and miss it like hell.  The land is fertile, the people are salt of the earth despite their shortcomings, you can be remote and yet near at the same time, no state income tax (last time I checked), home schooling is accepted, CCW laws are decent, etc. It has its drawbacks for sure, but it does offer something unique.   There is nothing quite like watching a sunrise in the Smokies, the Blue Ridge, or the Cumberland.  Some of my fondest memories.

The fertile land is a huge reason.  And those THUNDER storms.  Man oh man.  Never seen anything like that.  The rain drops were big as paper plates.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #278 on: March 11, 2011, 05:32:36 PM »
I grew up in Northeast Tennessee. It's a wonderful place. I'm nearly back there now, living in Southwest Virginia, but if I had a choice I'd go the extra 50 miles to get back to the area I spent most of the first 20 years of my life.

You'll love it I think.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #279 on: March 11, 2011, 05:47:59 PM »
Now that we are totally off topic:

Tennesee is a beautiful, wonderful place. I have been there many times. The only drawback to Tennesee that I can think of, is rumor has it, the woods are haunted by some kinda mangoatdog creature. Pretty ferocious beast, from what I have heard.  ;)

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #280 on: March 11, 2011, 07:24:16 PM »
Tennessee is heaven on earth as far as I'm concerned. I can't wait until we're living on our own homestead.

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #281 on: March 11, 2011, 07:45:03 PM »
I might be responsible in part for this thread going off topic, so what the hell...  how wonderful is Tennessee? I've only ventured south (from Wisconsin) to Florida twice (once in the early 1970's and later in 2005), and my experience going through the blue ridge mountains and southwards was that the geography was absolutely gorgeous, the southern hospitality of the people was expressed in being referred to as "honey", but the racism was horrid. To the point that I would never go that way ever again.

In the 1970's trip (we were long-haired hippies and so we were identified as freedom riders, civil rights activists, which we were not) our campsite was fire-bombed via a Molotov cocktail. I had a trigger-happy cop pull and cocked a gun on me because of the dog that was with us barked at him to protect us. When northern state license plates were observed at gas stations we were quizzed as to our opinion on mixed marriage. I live in a all-white community today and although I do highly admire our American-Afro culture, neither I nor my community would pass any kind of "prejudice free" test by any means,  but the racial sentiment in that part of the country to me borders on insanity. I could never live there, will never go there again. The good side? the Dervaes don't live there.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #282 on: March 11, 2011, 08:28:20 PM »
WOW - I didn't get that at all.  Of course, I wasn't alive in 1970...  or 1980 for that matter.

Offline elcoyote

• Gypsy Prepper Squad
  • Survivor
    • Crap! I'm An Adult!
« Reply #283 on: March 11, 2011, 08:38:12 PM »
See, I can't just pick a spot. I love it all, the quiet humbleness of the Appalachians, the awe inspiring SIZE of the vast southwestern deserts, where the sky goes on forever, the bleak tops of jagged Rocky mountains keeping watch over you at all times, the huge, silent forests of the northwest, watching and waiting for something unknown. I could never pick a spot to stay forever. It's all so beautiful. But then, I've got that wanderer blood in me.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #284 on: March 11, 2011, 08:41:56 PM »
WOW - I didn't get that at all.  Of course, I wasn't alive in 1970...  or 1980 for that matter.
I know you will find the racial situation no worse today in Tennessee than it is in any other part of the country.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #285 on: March 11, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
I know you will find the racial situation no worse today in Tennessee than it is in any other part of the country.

I'm inclined to believe you.  I was treated with respect by people with all varieties/levels of melanin in their skin while we were there.

Offline wdrobins

• Survivor
« Reply #286 on: March 11, 2011, 09:02:26 PM »
Just happened to look into this forum and found you guys talking about God's country (where you ain't 'sposed to be talkin bout that topic); so, I couldn't resist putting in my two cents worth.

I can't believe Sister Wolf is going to TN.  I'm jealous. I lived in CA for 5 years, and that was 5 years too long.  I decided that I didn't want to stick around and help Californians deal with all their crap.

This talk about racist stuff in TN I think is long outdated.  Not that it doesn't exist somewhere in those hills, but I ain't worried.

Right now I'm working as a slave in Iowa, but I intend to move to TN as soon as I can get things worked out to get the h... out of this big GMO agribusiness welfare state.  Might be a couple of years, but I'm keeping my eye on land down there.  By the way, we have fireflies here in Iowa also.

I saw a nice piece of land advertised down there several weeks ago, and it sold before I could even talk to the Realtor.  I don't know which one of you bought it, but I'm jealous! :)

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #287 on: March 11, 2011, 09:48:30 PM »
I'm sure that times have changed

Offline summer98

• Survivalist Mentor
  • This is a Floyd dog.
« Reply #288 on: March 12, 2011, 05:42:23 AM »
There is still some racism in Tennessee (like elsewhere) but times have changed and the hardcore idiots have almost all died off. There are a few enclaves you wouldn't want to wander back into, but for the most part people are much better.

Wd -how much land are you looking for, and where?

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #289 on: March 12, 2011, 07:40:52 AM »
I'm sure that times have changed

Sorry you had such negative experiences.  I would agree that things are far different now than they were in the 70s.  How?  I don't know that I can articulate it very well.  Here is an example.  My father did not know a person of another race until he was sent to Vietnam.  Not the best of circumstances to make an initial foray into race relations.  Now my father was not and is not a racist.  He abhors it.  It is just that he did not have certain experiences growing up.  Now I grew up in E Tn in a different time.  I sat in classes next to people of different races, played sports, sat at the same tables in the cafeteria, had parties, and indeed knew people that had different skin color than me.  We were friends. It is just normal, no big deal.  That is not to say all is well and racism doesn't exist there, it does, but no worse than any of the number of places I've lived since leaving E TN.  If I were making a list of pros and cons of moving back there, racism wouldn't feature on that list at all.  

No, the Derv..s don't live there.  Guess they haven't figured out how to make their own 'shine so they most definitely wouldn't fit in...

Offline wdrobins

• Survivor
« Reply #290 on: March 12, 2011, 09:29:30 AM »
Wd -how much land are you looking for, and where?

summer98,

I would like at least 20 acres or more if the price is right.  Might settle for less depending on price (or more).  I prefer mostly wooded with a year round spring, preferably one flowing fast enough for energy extraction purposes. I prefer land that is not all flat, and has some area suitable for building a house or cabin. Accessibility would also be a consideration. Eventually, I would like to be off-grid, so access to utilities, although nice, would be a secondary consideration if everything else was perfect.

As far as area, I'm considering somewhere between Middle to Eastern TN, which covers a lot of ground.  Eastern TN is first choice, but other areas are open to consideration as well.  Internet access better than dial-up is a must, and cell phone coverage is also necessary.

I believe from a prior post (if I remember correctly), you might be in the area somewhere between Huntsville, AL, going North toward Nashville.  That area would also be a possibility, although I want to stay out of the county in which Nashville is located due to high taxes, and so forth.  Originally being from AL and also living in Huntsville for a number of years, I'm well acquainted with that area, although not from the standpoint of rural land acquisition.

One issue that I haven't figured out yet is employment opportunities vs. location.  I've got to have some way to put bread on the table and purchase supplies for the homestead until I can get to a more self-sufficient lifestyle.  So, that is a big consideration.  I have adjunct teaching experience in Mechanical Engineering at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and at Mercer University in Macon, GA.  So, my thought is that, if all else fails, there may be part time (or full time) work potentials if my property is located not too far from a university or college town.  This was one reason for considering Eastern TN not too far from the Knoxville area, or maybe Nashville area, but there are other areas as well that would fit this potential.

Amazing how we get off topic in these forums. :)

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #291 on: March 12, 2011, 09:57:29 AM »
...Amazing how we get off topic in these forums. :)
I think everyone is just getting tired of "the family that must not be named."

Some moderator needs to clamp down on us here and get us back on topic.  ;)

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #292 on: March 12, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
Go for it people.  The topic had run its course, or we may have nudged it back a bit more.

I blame Sis! :)

Offline Calista

• Prepper
« Reply #293 on: March 12, 2011, 11:19:52 AM »
Okay, I'll make a stab at getting the thread back on topic...  ;D

I wonder why some investigative journalist hasn't hunted down the ex-Mrs. D and the fourth sibling who broke away from the D-Borg hive to get their take on this situation.

Wouldn't THAT be an interview to read.  :o

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #294 on: March 12, 2011, 12:56:04 PM »
 :egyptian: I'm going to be the bad boy and go off topic just once more here.. back to Tennessee: "The Farm" was started in the 70's by a bunch of hippies that made an exodus out of California in a caravan of school buses. I met them in Minneapolis and their charismatic leader Stephen Gaskin. They do a lot of very interesting things. When I visited The Farm in 1973 they were pretty much living out of their buses and selling tempeh that they made in converted washing machines. http://www.thefarm.org/general/visit.html
I hope the Dervaes don't find out about them as they might want to move there and copyright "The Farm".

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #295 on: March 12, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
Okay, I'll make a stab at getting the thread back on topic...  ;D

I wonder why some investigative journalist hasn't hunted down the ex-Mrs. D and the fourth sibling who broke away from the D-Borg hive to get their take on this situation.

Wouldn't THAT be an interview to read.  :o

i have wondered that myself.....

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #296 on: March 13, 2011, 03:56:35 PM »
Sister Wolf,
I hope you do it. Tennessee is the prettiest place on Earth. Of course, I'm a bit biased. :)

I don't know if the EFF CAN post the Dervaes response, not if there's a chance of more legal action. I think that could get them in trouble, and unlike a certain family, they have real lawyers to advise them. I, too, am dying to know what their response -if anything -was.
And I'm thinking of naming a book about our homestead "From Urban Homestead to Farm"  ;D
  just to add my 2 cents i drive truck, the only two states i miss, now that I drive locally in PA and MD, those states that I miss are Georgia,And Tenesee, you are right when you say tenesee is the most beautifull place on earth, especially pigeon forge, gatlinburg area

Offline RPZ

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #297 on: April 08, 2011, 09:48:45 AM »
Isn't this as absurd as trying to trademark "rural farming" or "ocean fishing"? Or "domestic violence"?

Offline Calista

• Prepper
« Reply #298 on: April 08, 2011, 03:02:34 PM »
Found this update today on a blog I follow:

The ongoing trademark issue, for those that aren't keeping up-to-date, has not died down. We thought they had the Dervaes' lawyer sent another more threatening letter to the publisher of  Urban Homesteading: Heirloom Skills for Sustainable Living written by Rachel Kaplan and Ruby Blume. The letter read:

"Although my client has attempted in good faith to resolve this matter amicably and without litigation, because you have indicated that [publishing company] is unwilling to comply with our requests, Dervaes has no choice but seek protection of its rights in court. Unless we receive written confirmation by the close of business on April 1, 2011 that [publishing company] will comply immediately with each of the demands detailed in my letter of 2/16/11, (and a subsequent more formal agreement detailing those terms,) Dervaes intends to seek an injunction, along with any damages and attorneys fees, against [publishing company]."

http://www.dogislandfarm.com/2011/04/urban-farming-backlash-and-how-we-can.html

I'm kinda stunned at the disconnect ol' Jules has with REALITY.  :o

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #299 on: April 08, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
Wow, I guess I had assumed that they were going to drop their ambitions for enforcing the Trademark, but it appears as if this is not the case. Then again, I don't believe that I am surprised either.