Author Topic: How to Get a Copy of Your FBI File  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: How to Get a Copy of Your FBI File
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:18:28 AM »
ok, so say you do this..... will they make a note of that in your file AFTER they have sent what they had before you requested?

"person xxx-xx-xxxx requested a copy of her file.  keep on eye on her for future reference"

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »
ok, so say you do this..... will they make a note of that in your file AFTER they have sent what they had before you requested?

"person xxx-xx-xxxx requested a copy of her file.  keep on eye on her for future reference"
First point MS, is I am sure they are already watching you.  ;)

Second point, the note to watch you will be made and put with the part of the file they don't send you  :censored: before they send the part they don't mind you seeing.

Offline Cooter Brown

• Survivalist Mentor
    • The Regular Guy Review
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 09:31:42 AM »
Second point, the note to watch you will be made and put with the part of the file they don't send you  :censored: before they send the part they don't mind you seeing.

...and, if you didn't have one before, you will after asking. :stop:

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 09:36:18 AM »
...and, if you didn't have one before, you will after asking. :stop:
And, there is that.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 10:03:12 AM »
Well, I have to go with a couple of beliefs on this:

1.  If you're doing something that draws FBI scrutiny, I doubt that you'll be stupid enough to ask them for a copy of what they know about you.

2.  I sincerely doubt that they'll tell  you anything you don't already know about yourself. . .and that they'll tell you that they're surveilling you for one reason or another (that part will be conveniently left out due to . . .uh. . .classified status).

3.  Of course they will indicate somewhere on your file that you asked for it.  You may or may not see it for several reasons.  One, it's possible that it's in another administrative section that you didn't request access to.  Another would be that it was recorded that the file was provided to you AFTER you requested it (i.e., you requested your file which they provided to you up to the minute, they THEN record that it was provided to you (bureaucracy in action)).  But I do promise you that it will be recorded that you requested, and was provided, with your file. 

4.  The fact that you asked for your file will not necessarily "add" you to their list other than the fact that you asked for it.  If you're already on their list, it's because of something you've done or are/were suspected of doing.  You'd be surprised at what will be on your file. 

As an example: A colleague of mine worked at a gun dealer for several years.  After he moved away, the dealer discovered that some firearms were missing.  The dealer reported this to the ATF who took down the names of every employee who worked during the period between when the firearms arrived at the dealer's and when the dealer reported them missing.  Checks were done on all these individuals.  That means this guy's name was "in the system."   In this case, the dealer's ex-wife was trying to get the dealer in trouble.  She took the guns and hid them before she divorced him as she was the one who did the blue books.  Since my friend was named in the investigation, his name is now "on the list."  He didn't find out about it until he went for a job with a government contractor and they brought it to his attention when they performed a background check on him for a clearance.  He was never interviewed or even notified that he was being investigated because the case was solved before it got that far.  But his name was still there.

It's not uncommon for that information to be kept because it may provide information in the future. If, for example, similar situations kept arising with other dealers or other businesses, it might indicate a pattern that should be investigated.

Now, all this having been said, I'd just ask for the file.  It never hurts to know what they have on you and it may show some things that you might really want to know.

Don't worry about being on a list.  If you have a reason to be on one, you already know it and, probably, shouldn't be letting them know where you are, anyway.

Just some thoughts.

The Professor