Author Topic: Great Article on the Female Suburban Survivalist!  (Read 6550 times)

SnugInMyPod

Great Article on the Female Suburban Survivalist!
« on: February 17, 2011, 10:47:18 PM »
Fellow Survivalists (of all Genders,)

Here's a great article I just had to share when I found it, directed at Suburban Survivalist women, those who want to be...and also useful for those who love them:

Suburban Survivalists Begin Hoarding Food, Water, and Weapons
by Kim Bauer
http://technorati.com/women/article/suburban-survivalists-begin-hoarding-food-water/

The author, Kim Bauer, also has what looks like a thoughtful and entertaining blog too!  Clearly, this lady has made herself a very enjoyable version of "The Better Life:"

Confabulicious
http://www.confabulicious.com

It's always a good thing when someone can have a nice injection of fun next to the Epi-Pen, the turkey baster, and the Ruger .357/.38 lead syringe.

;D ;)

Offline eph2

• Survivor
Re: Great Article on the Female Suburban Survivalist!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 09:12:20 AM »
That was a good article.  I think she gets it.

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 06:09:51 PM »
She really is fabulous.  Always good to see blogs like this, I'm hoping people are paying more attention.

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 09:33:40 PM »
Greetings, eph2 and Kayzonara,

I'm glad you liked it. 

I've got to where I can actually say "Confabulicious" without too much embarrassment, although I still grin like a 'possum to say it.

;D

Offline average_joe

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 08:04:45 AM »
I enjoyed the article written by Kim Bauer and I think it has some good info and resources listed in it. I posted in the comment section about her use of the word hoarding. I dislike that word and I think that it may put preppers in a bad light. We aren't hoarding food we're storing and stockpiling food items while they are plentiful.

What concerns me is that when food shortages do arrive we'll be made scapegoats and be accused of being part of the problem. We have made sacrifices to have the food storage that we have, and have not infringed on anyone's ability to do the same thing. I do think we as preppers need to address this issue on articles like this while we still can.   

Offline TwoBluesMama

• More Evil Than You Know
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • New Blue in the House
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 01:09:20 PM »
I hate to be negative but... I agree with average_joe.  I thought the article's title (mostly the word hoarding) seemed a little like a slap in the face instead of showing the good that prepping is.  I did like some things in the article and anything that helps someone prep is great.  Thanks for bringing the link to us Snug.

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 05:44:11 PM »
What concerns me is that when food shortages do arrive we'll be made scapegoats and be accused of being part of the problem. We have made sacrifices to have the food storage that we have, and have not infringed on anyone's ability to do the same thing. I do think we as preppers need to address this issue on articles like this while we still can.   

I always wonder, why the person who wants my preps didn't invite me on their Carribean vacation or let me drive their Lexus...

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 11:28:39 AM »
Stockpiling vs. Hoarding

"Stockpiling" is building a large personal inventory of a given item or commodity.

"Hoarding" is doing the same thing, except hoarding has the added dimension of it being executed either a) after scarcity of such item(s) and /or commodity(ies) has already struck your region, or b) via the insider advantage of being able to go behind the scenes and divert key supplies of the items/commodities away from the general stream available to the rest of society. Therefore you are using either overt personal wealth or unique personal power as an unfair leverage to over-supply yourself --and also probably drive up the general price on the open market-- while knowingly and selfishly depriving others of what they likewise need at this time.

Moral of the story word-comparison: If you "stockpile" during a time of plenty, you are merely buying in bulk.  But if you do it when scarcity is already afoot, then you're definitely guilty of an ethical breach of such moral severity and societal malfeasance that our culture and our legal circles have given that action its own dark and accusatory word, and that word is "hoarding."  

Don't EVER let anyone accuse you of "hoarding" when the truth is you are merely "stockpiling." And after the crisis sets in, I suspect most of us would go ahead and start sharing what we've so diligently stockpiled over the years.

Offline Scotty2Hotty

• Prepper
  • All the way!
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 12:23:51 PM »
+1 Oil Lady   Fantastic post...  not to much can be said now... but thats going to stick with me.

-Scotty

SnugInMyPod

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 12:57:51 PM »
Greetings, Average Joe and Oil Lady,

I agree that, if used seriously, 'hoarding' is perhaps a poor choice of words.  

'Hoarding' also connotes collecting without purpose or organization, especially in the wake of all the satellite TV shows on the trashy, cluttered homes of compulsive hoarders.  

What compulsive hoarders do, in many ways, is anti-Survivalist, since random, scattered piles of junk are a trip hazard, a fire hazard, can attract mold, bugs, and vermin, and can even sink the flooring and walls of a house if heavy enough.

Fortunately, Ms. Bauer didn't strike me as being like this and no legitimate Survivalist is like this either.  

Ms. Bauer was no doubt using the term 'hoarding' all in good fun, much like Survivalists often joke about 'Zombie hoards.'  The basic jist of her article was spot on and highly recommended.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 06:18:34 AM »
Okay, insert "big grin" emoticon. ;D

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-621-steve-palmer-of-shelfreliance-com-on-food-storage-and-global-events

Am I allowed to say "I rock" after listening to yesterday's podcast where Jack interviewed Steve Palmer of ShelfReliance, and at 40:57 Jack explained the difference between "storing" and "hoarding"?

Insert more "big grin" emoticons.  ;D ;D ;D

Stockpiling vs. Hoarding

"Stockpiling" is building a large personal inventory of a given item or commodity.

"Hoarding" is doing the same thing, except hoarding has the added dimension of it being executed either a) after scarcity of such item(s) and /or commodity(ies) has already struck your region, or b) via the insider advantage of being able to go behind the scenes and divert key supplies of the items/commodities away from the general stream available to the rest of society. Therefore you are using either overt personal wealth or unique personal power as an unfair leverage to over-supply yourself --and also probably drive up the general price on the open market-- while knowingly and selfishly depriving others of what they likewise need at this time.

Moral of the story word-comparison: If you "stockpile" during a time of plenty, you are merely buying in bulk.  But if you do it when scarcity is already afoot, then you're definitely guilty of an ethical breach of such moral severity and societal malfeasance that our culture and our legal circles have given that action its own dark and accusatory word, and that word is "hoarding."  

Don't EVER let anyone accuse you of "hoarding" when the truth is you are merely "stockpiling." And after the crisis sets in, I suspect most of us would go ahead and start sharing what we've so diligently stockpiled over the years.