Author Topic: SURVIVAL PRIMER; THE 10-80-10 THEORY  (Read 11984 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
SURVIVAL PRIMER; THE 10-80-10 THEORY
« on: January 29, 2009, 02:42:25 PM »
THE 10-80-10 THEORY

Here's another useful item to add to the toolbox from Ken Sherwood's interview on the Glenn beck show that gives a framework framework to how people act in a crisis -

"<The 10-80-10 theory>...Says that in any crisis 10% of us are leaders. 10% have a plan, take action, and do the right thing. 80% of us are bewildered and in a stupor and we wait for someone to give us instructions and orders, and tell us what to do; and then 10% of us do counter productive things like we flip out and start screaming and do things that aren't helpful..." - Ben Sherwood on the Glenn Beck Show 01-29-09 - Hour 1

I pondered the 10-80-10 theory and in short realized that it was very much the same or similar message I had heard before just repackaged...

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/16222

"Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back."  - Heraclitus

While the numbers are different, I submit that the message tends to be the very same - To "survive", in the most general sense, I need to assemble the tools and knowledge prior to encountering a problem, and then I need to be able to take the lead and use that knowledge and what I have rehearsed to better my odds of survival in what may be a rapidly changing environment where others may falter.

What do you think of the 10-80-10 Theory?

swanson

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
Re: SURVIVAL PRIMER; THE 10-80-10 THEORY
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »
I like the second version best.

I have heard of the 80-20 rule. It is usually used in the 80% of the work is done by 20% of the people, or in crime 80% of crime is commited by 20% of the population.

Or in business. 80% of your work should be revinue producing and 20% housekeepin i.e. paperwork.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 04:06:56 PM »
Makes sense to me.

John Q Public

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 07:14:01 AM »
The Paredo Principle (80/20 Rule) holds true for most things.

The 10-80-10 Theory you have mentioned here has a lot of implications:

1) Be in the 10% that has a plan and acts rationally.
2) When dealing with the 80% who wander around in a stupor, try to reach the ones that you believe could "pull it together" with a little guidance/support. More importantly, realize that some just cannot or will not be able to adjust to their new reality and stop wasting time/energy on a lost cause.
3) Avoid or minimize the impact that the last 10% has on you and yours.

The key will be the ability to separate the wheat from the chaff in the 80% group and to identify the 10% that will be problematic.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »
John Q Public,

+1,

Thanks for the post!

Your assessment is spot on in my opinion.

swanson

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 04:44:41 PM »
Or is it 80% cannon fodder and 20% projectile???

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »
I was taught the 10-80-10 rule a little differently years ago:

10% are so inept and counterproductive that no matter how much help they get, they will screw it up and be window licking bottom feeders.

80% are the average working class that achieve varying amounts of success, don't ask for much and will generally follow the herd.

10% are those that no matter how you try to keep them down, stop their momentum, and hinder their achievements, will be successful.  These are the ones we want as mentors.

Now I personally would adjust that bottom feeder number a little higher, but maybe I'm just feeling surly >:( today. 

There is definitely a survivalist application here, but I've run out of time and have to run.........

Berserker Prime

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2009, 06:54:07 AM »
BP,

+1,

Great insight. You are solid and on track as usual.

swanson

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2009, 09:38:57 AM »
I am wondering if the bottom 10% is a fluid number. Like if you were to dispose of or some how reform the bottom feeders would others fill their void.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 10:11:43 AM »
ejsandstrom,

I am wondering if the bottom 10% is a fluid number. Like if you were to dispose of or some how reform the bottom feeders would others fill their void.

+1,

You bring up an important thoughtline to be examined.

I submit that to avoid being or make it less likely to be in the bottom 10% of the 10-80-10 equation takes a certain amount of (current and realistic) training, adaptability, and prior experience.

You can't have a plan for everything, but training under duress should help your mind process and co-opt your prior experience into something useful. If your mind can recognize similar circumstances, it should help you to stay functioning in an operable zone.

..and by training, I simply mean elevating your heart level through chosen exercises/running and then set yourself to performing relative tasks. For some of us these tasks could include - Gunhandling (shooting/reloading/malfunction clearance), performing arrest techniques, or running other equipment.

Another thing that might help folks tending to be in the lower 10% is getting ahold of their breathing cycle to bring the heart rate down and hopefully help them rationalize a bit better as well. Always utilize autogenic breathing no matter the situation.

Think about training under stress and the possible scenarios you might find yourself in and train accordingly.

...and if you do take the time to train make sure it stays realistic and recent as well. Skills and experiences can be perishable so train often as well as hard.

What do you think?

swanson

Offline TJ

• Prepper
  • I Lead, Never Follow.
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »
ejsandstrom,

+1,

You bring up an important thoughtline to be examined.

I submit that to avoid being or make it less likely to be in the bottom 10% of the 10-80-10 equation takes a certain amount of (current and realistic) training, adaptability, and prior experience.

You can't have a plan for everything, but training under duress should help your mind process and co-opt your prior experience into something useful. If your mind can recognize similar circumstances, it should help you to stay functioning in an operable zone.

..and by training, I simply mean elevating your heart level through chosen exercises/running and then set yourself to performing relative tasks. For some of us these tasks could include - Gunhandling (shooting/reloading/malfunction clearance), performing arrest techniques, or running other equipment.

Another thing that might help folks tending to be in the lower 10% is getting ahold of their breathing cycle to bring the heart rate down and hopefully help them rationalize a bit better as well. Always utilize autogenic breathing no matter the situation.

Think about training under stress and the possible scenarios you might find yourself in and train accordingly.

...and if you do take the time to train make sure it stays realistic and recent as well. Skills and experiences can be perishable so train often as well as hard.

What do you think?

swanson

+1, makes a lot of sense to me. ^

One quote I always think of is one of the great General Patton, "A leader is a man that can adapt principles to circumstances." Yes, it's in my sig line too, because I find it to make a lot of sense. People may have all these plans, theories, and ideas, but they're pointless unless you can iniate them and take action.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »
Found on powerline blog.
The Hard Core
Share Post   PrintFebruary 4, 2009 Posted by John at 9:12 AM
A Rasmussen survey released on Monday finds that "[j]ust 11% of U.S. voters think America should apologize to Iran for 'crimes' against the Islamic country," as demanded by Ahmadinejad.

"Just" 11 percent? That number strikes me as astonishingly high. What would we apologize for, the cost of feeding our hostages back in 1979-1980?

That 11 percent appears to define a hard core of misfits; no matter what the question is, the answer is anti-American. Presumably the nutroots are drawn in large part from that group. To the extent that they also formed part of the core of President Obama's support, he is going to find them hard to please, now that he is actually in office.

To comment on this post, go here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Falls right in line with the rule. Very Interesting

Offline BerserkerPrime

• Ice Humping Polar Bear
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • God, Guns and Oil!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2009, 01:47:54 PM »
That 11% need a one way ticket to live peaceful, nirvana filled lives in the Islamic Republic of Iran. 

BP