Author Topic: Ammo Price Increases on May 1  (Read 7361 times)

Offline AuburnFootball

• Survivor
  • Cheating death and fighting communism...
    • BlueSheepdog
Ammo Price Increases on May 1
« on: March 02, 2011, 06:41:25 PM »
Hi all,

I was researching an article for one of my sites on ammo prices and discovered that ATK (owns CCI, Federal, and Speer) sent out a notice on ammunition increases that are coming down on May 1.  Price increases of 5-15% depending on the cartridge.  The price increases hit everything:  rimfire, centerfire and shotgun.  Plus, increases on primers as well.

I don't know if this has been widely reported (yet), but figured I would give everyone the heads up.

ATK cited increased costs in copper and lead as being the driving reason, but oil prices are bound to drive up production costs also.

-Richard

Offline Tactical Hippie

• Survivor
Re: Ammo Price Increases on May 1
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:12 PM »
I figured as fuel goes up ammo would spike as well!  I'm not even close to where I want to be as far as ammo preps go.  

BTW...WDE!  Need to make a trip down South...Momma Goldbergs is calling!   My dad made a trip down a couple of weeks ago to pay last respects to our trees...maybe by the grace of god they will make it!  

WarEagle,

TacHipp

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 08:54:26 PM »
looks like I will be buying more ammo then.... ;)

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 04:45:09 AM »
Gotta link to the memo?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2011, 06:12:42 AM »
Yes... my husband mentioned the information, too, but I didn't have a link to the article citing the information. We recently put in a large order with BulkAmmo.com :)

If you have a link you could share with forum members, that would be really great.

I found this on the 1911 forum:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=289187

Offline phuttan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Evil CO2 Exhaler
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2011, 06:53:36 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I guess I better get some in the next month.

Pat

Offline 4bull

• The Pumpkin Whisperer
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2011, 06:57:52 AM »
Im saving up for   Watamakers Gun show at Tulsa Ok. April 9 i think its in the first of april.
im hearing about good prices so far. Stocking up anyhow. Good luck get all you can.

Offline Roknrandy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2011, 07:46:27 AM »
I see the same info posted on several large forums from different members but nobody has posted a link to the original announcement yet

Offline AuburnFootball

• Survivor
  • Cheating death and fighting communism...
    • BlueSheepdog
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2011, 05:37:41 PM »
Here is a copy of the letter:

I can post a link to my article, but it is on a commercial site...so I don't want to give the impression I am trolling for links.  The article doesn't contain a lot of other information that people here are unaware of (copper prices up, etc.)

-Richard

Offline Roknrandy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2011, 04:47:52 AM »
Great find auburnfootball! Thanks for posting that.

Offline BeachPete

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 07:04:42 AM »
I picked up another 1k of .223 of XM193 for right at $300 when the letter came out, the way I figure it that price will most likely be $345 on May 1.  I've also noticed that there's not too many places that have bulk ammo in stock online.  Though Natchez still does.

Any thoughts on how or if this will affect steel case ammo such as Wolf?  I would imagine even the old surplus ammo will increase in sympathy with the market.

I really don't have the time or space to get into reloading, but shooting somewhere around 10k of various calibers per year (.223, .762, .22, 9mm, 38spl, 357) feel that I may need to get into yet another hobby.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 10:22:39 AM »
I really don't have the time or space to get into reloading, but shooting somewhere around 10k of various calibers per year (.223, .762, .22, 9mm, 38spl, 357) feel that I may need to get into yet another hobby.

Well for goodness sakes, PM me and let me know where you are leaving all that brass   ;)

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 01:09:19 PM »
Well for goodness sakes, PM me and let me know where you are leaving all that brass   ;)

CRCJ beat me to it, but I'm very intersted in .357 brass you want to get rid of!  :)

Offline BulkAmmo.com

• Survivor
    • BulkAmmo
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 07:36:30 PM »
We received that same information from our distributors and manufacturers. The price increase is likely to effect all of the manufacturers. With the price of fuel increasing rapidly, we're likely to see a shipping increase in the future also.

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 05:18:41 AM »
CRCJ beat me to it, but I'm very intersted in .357 brass you want to get rid of!  :)

Our range is practically giving our brass away ($5 for 100 .45ACP). We have boxes of brass (boxes = USPS large flat rate boxes) ready to go. These boxes hold about 5500 9mm cases. I'll check and see if we have any .357 - I presume magnum, not .357Sig?

We do sort out the Blazer, Wolf, etc., but don't do anything beyond that, so sorting, cleaning, etc is all up to you.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2011, 11:15:49 PM »
I just witnessed here in Wyoming at my local Walmart that carried my usual cheap Federal .243 ammo go up an entire dollar in price this week per box. I was a bit down since I was getting some money in August and had planned to buy bulk.

This raised a red flag in my mind and then saw this thread on raising ammo prices.

I wonder if this is related. Anyone else see prices of ammo go up recently?

Offline SuperDuty

• Survivor
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2011, 01:57:58 PM »
This raised a red flag in my mind and then saw this thread on raising ammo prices.

I wonder if this is related. Anyone else see prices of ammo go up recently?

Yep, Federal Lightning .22 went from 1.47 to 1.97.  Federal 9mm went up too, but I don't remember the exact amount. About a buck a box.