Author Topic: How much did your grocery bill rise in 2010?  (Read 2899 times)

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
How much did your grocery bill rise in 2010?
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:26:09 PM »
My local news TV station spent about 30 seconds on a story stating that global food inflation went up 29% in 2010.  I thought I was the only one who noticed this at the grocery store.  My poor wife had to listen to me rant every time I returned from the grocery store.  (I'm sure she just tunes me out.)  I have cut many non-essentials off the grocery list, but I would estimate that the cost of the food we buy, has risen about 20% on average.

I think the USDA missed their prediction:
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/usda-lowers-2010-food-inflation-forecast-2010-08-26

Here's an article regarding food inflation in India:
http://makanaka.wordpress.com/2011/01/02/food-inflation-crippled-indias-households-in-2010/

I don't believe these numbers.  I have seen more inflation on my shopping list than what they claim.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/briefing/cpifoodandexpenditures/consumerpriceindex.htm

The mainstream media seems to downplay this.  Various articles seem to predict modest (under 2%) food inflation for 2011.  But I just do not buy it.  The sugar commodity is twice it's July 2010 level.  This is going to be passed on to us, especially since sugar is in everything.  I don't see a way around it.

nkawtg

Re: How much did your grocery bill rise in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:16:28 PM »
The 912 Super Seniors group has an ongoing COLA (Cost Of Living Alowance) project to track food prices. Here is their link to the results page;
http://www.912superseniors.org/cola-project/cola-project-results/

From December 21 to Jan 25 a bunch of seniors purchased groceries and sent in the results for a select group of items. In one month there has been an average 4.7% increase in food prices.
This project is ongoing, so I will post results as they come in from time to time.

Offline stayfrosty

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2011, 04:43:40 PM »
To be honest... I have noticed little to no food inflation over the past 5 years. I buy things when they are the price I expect, and as long as I wait for the sales... they always are. Here is a short list of what I have paid for items for years when they are on sale.

Milk $2.29 half-gall
Bread $1.29
Soup $1 per can
Apples 89 cents/pound
Bananas 69 cents/pound
Cheese 5.99/ 2 pounds
Sandwich meat 2 for $5 - 9 oz tubs
Salad $2.29 bag
Hot/Lean pockets $2/box
Pasta $1/box
Pasta Sauce $2/jar
Boxes of rice/potatoes $1
Cans of veggies/fruits .89-$1

If those items aren't that price when I go... I won't buy them until the next trip.

frosty

Offline TNVolunteer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Ad Vitam Paramus
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 04:46:05 PM »
I'm not sure but I just stopped by the store on the way home from work.  I spent $50 bucks and I'm not sure, but I think all I got was some toilet paper....

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 04:17:11 PM »
My point here is not really to brag about what kind of deals we can find.  It's to raise the awareness of food inflation.  I would encourage people to watch the regular, non sale prices of food over time while shopping for deals.  The price of food is a critical barometer we should all watch closely.

Offline willille

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 04:25:23 PM »
Most things seem to be holding fairly steady. These are the only one that have jumped. This is a 3 week span.
Tomato # 1.68>2.38
Milk Gal  2.98>3.38
Cucumber ea. .62>.98
Bell pepper ea .54>.94