Author Topic: Spinoff Thread From Possenti's Excellent Rain Catch System  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Calista

• Prepper
Spinoff Thread From Possenti's Excellent Rain Catch System
« on: February 23, 2011, 03:36:02 PM »
Since Possenti's thread on his rain catch system has been inactive for awhile, I thought I would solicit additional ideas for using multiple barrels. I really liked what he did and, after a lot of research online, here's what we've decided on that's similar:

http://www.emmitsburg.net/gardens/articles/adams/audrey/water_barrel.htm

Does anyone have some feedback for me on this cascading collection system? (We were fortunate to snag nine barrels at five bucks each from a bakery outfit. They held syrup residues that easily washed out with a high-pressure hose and a bleach rinse.)

Thanks for any tips and advice!  ;)

endurance

Re: Spinoff Thread From Possenti's Excellent Rain Catch System
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2011, 04:20:37 PM »
There's more than one way to skin a cat.  I opted to put my water underground and then use a small 5 gpm 12v pump to create pressure.  Sure, it does depend on some energy going into the system, but it also has less visual impact.  Just something to consider.

My pump was from Northern Tool and has a 60 psi shut off on the top end and re-engages when pressure drops below 40 psi, so you can have a sprayer on the hose and the pump will shut off when you aren't using it.

Pictures and description here.